2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

I’d much rather have Tech good at basketball than aggy.  When aggy was good, it always angered me and I never knew why. 
Because you know they messed up building their arena and the floor is something like 4 inches too short or the rim is an inch too high, something just enough to mess up opposing teams who aren't used to it.

That's about all she wrote for Mormon aggy.

Incidentally, Logan is less than 90 minutes from where I live. Attractive little city nestled at the mouth of a scenic canyon. But a tad churchy for my tastes--last I checked, there were only three bars to serve a population of approximately 45,000. 😅🤣😂

34 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The first weekend is awesome, the best single weekend of sports there is based on volume of games and excitement in many of them....it drops off considerably after that many (though not all) years.

Plus definitely room for argument about the purity of the champion, but that's an issue in one form or another with any postseason. Unless you go to a European Soccer model of complete home/home round robin and whoever comes out on top of all that is the best there always is going to be that argument to some extent (though single elimination in a game that can be so streaky makes this one of the most questionable).  

No argument here except your loose definition of soccer as a sport. Purely on an island, first weekend of MM is the best shit ever. I don't like moving it a day back though, taking Thurs/Fri off and making it a 4 day booze weekend was part of the point.

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That's about all she wrote for Mormon aggy.

Incidentally, Logan is less than 90 minutes from where I live. Attractive little city nestled at the mouth of a scenic canyon. But a tad churchy for my tastes--last I checked, there were only three bars to serve a population of approximately 45,000. 😅🤣😂

There might be 4 now. It's a fun town in the summer but you have to pick your spot. And basketball games were a blast when they were rolling from about 04-12. I can only take it in about 3 day increments now. 

• Haha 1

This year's Tech offense sucks when they try to melt time off the shot clock and chunk it up late, regardless of passing and movement on the court.  When they have the gas mashed and they are in hurry up, they kill people.  This aspect has hurt them against better teams.

Just now, slorch said:

This year's Tech offense sucks when they try to melt time off the shot clock and chunk it up late, regardless of passing and movement on the court.  When they have the gas mashed and they are in hurry up, they kill people.  This aspect has hurt them against better teams.

How do you feel about their next couple of potential games? I picked them first in our version of the seeded draft that @Wulaw Horn does. This game has been a mixed bag but they look strong when they find the gas pedal.

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

How do you feel about their next couple of potential games? I picked them first in our version of the seeded draft that @Wulaw Horn does. This game has been a mixed bag but they look strong when they find the gas pedal.

I don’t think they can score enough to keep up with Arkansas. 

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I am so not a basketball ref:  is there no argument for traveling when a player skids along the floor some 5 feet or so while possessing the ball?  I guess it's not multiple steps, but it still looks odd.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

IIRC that is specifically not a travel by rule

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ah.  Thanks.

If you think about it a sliding player maintains the same point of contact with the floor (point on his body, not the floor obviously). In my mind they would have to make intentionally sliding traveling by rule rather than vice versa.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Hell yeah

I remember the last time he showed up in a picture he was looking rough and rumors about dementia/Alzheimer's were all over the place. And that was a few years ago.

Yeah, the tip of his nose was cyanotic, none of the signs looked good for the guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I damned sure don't see ARK as a 57-55 game or the like. It's going to be frenetic.  Gimpy Shannon doesn't make me happy, but he's been fighting that shit all season. Peavy is on the verge, but he gives stupid fouls almost every game- to the point that it limits his offense late.  Santos-Silva is a warrior.  He dukes it out game after game and virtually never has the physical advantage.

I just want to beat the Hogs and then  worry about the next rounds then...

and LOFuckingL at "Tech can't score enough to hang with Arkansas" in this thread.   This year's defense isn't as good as some of Beard's other campaigns, but they still bring it.  Ignore their defense at your own peril.

Edited by slorch

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I am so not a basketball ref:  is there no argument for traveling when a player skids along the floor some 5 feet or so while possessing the ball?  I guess it's not multiple steps, but it still looks odd.

If their momentum causes them to slide (or keep sliding) then an official has to have the knowledge and discipline to not call that a travel.  If they purposely/intentionally slide, then that’s different. 

• Machinator changed the title to 2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread
  • immamac unpinned this topic