Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

The truth shouldn’t surprise you.

you remember the ‘we stole your corch’ motto on the board right? We all kinda shrugged and y’all giggled. I ‘member…

Now it’s wrong to answer back, after scoreboard and all?

No its wrong to not answer that Lubbock College objectively by any measure fucked over UNLV worse that Texas did.

you aren't shrugging, you are causing cops to be called to get opposing teams safely to the gym.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I ask again of our Tech posters:  why was it OK for Beard to turn his back on UNLV for Tech after 3 weeks of employment?

It was a little shady, but I would have done the same thing if I was Beard and I had my 2nd most dream job open up. 

Which is why I 100% understand him leaving Tech for his alma mater. If I were a coach and had the opportunity to take a head coach job at my alma mater, as long as it was at least a lateral move, I would do it as well. 

I don’t hate Beard. I don’t hate him for leaving Tech for his alma mater and I most certainly don’t view him as a traitor. That’s just stupid. 

My only beef was he was a bit under the table in trying to take staff with him. And what he said to Adams. But it worked out for everyone in the end, and I couldn’t be happier. 

If I ran into Beard at a airport bar, I would buy him a beer even though he makes around 30x my salary and just shoot the shit with him. 

Hell my venom yesterday was more due to UT (and OU) shadiness in accepting the sec sec sec invite while ghosting the conference. I’m way more pissed at y’all nuking the conference than I will ever be at Beard leaving. 

The Beard leaving wasn’t even near as insulting as the David McWilliams leaving. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

Hell my venom yesterday was more due to UT (and OU) shadiness in accepting the sec sec sec invite while ghosting the conference. I’m way more pissed at y’all nuking the conference than I will ever be at Beard leaving. 

I don't get this.  For one thing, the conference was "nuked" a long time ago by Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M.  Why must Texas and OU stick around to prop up a bunch of 2nd-tier programs?

To me, it seems extraordinarily hypocritical for fans of Tech, Baylor, etc. to resent Texas and OU for "running the conference" and then be pissed that those two schools leave for greener pastures.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I don't get this.  For one thing, the conference was "nuked" a long time ago by Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M.  Why must Texas and OU stick around to prop up a bunch of 2nd-tier programs?

To me, it seems extraordinarily hypocritical for fans of Tech, Baylor, etc. to resent Texas and OU for "running the conference" and then be pissed that those two schools leave for greener pastures.

Because it wasn’t done in any semblance of an honorable way. It was backroom, under the table, ghost the conference. At least man up and do things in the open. 

Good news is I never have to root for either UT or OU in their non conference games for the good of our SOS ever again. So I have that going for me, which is nice. Enjoy being back in bed with aggy. 

Because it wasn’t done in any semblance of an honorable way. It was backroom, under the table, ghost the conference. At least man up and do things in the open. 

Good news is I never have to root for either UT or OU in their non conference games for the good of our SOS ever again. So I have that going for me, which is nice. Enjoy being back in bed with aggy. 

If they had done it in the open it would have been stopped by the Texas legislature. Or at least the legislature would have forced Texas to take Tech along with them, same as what happened with the Big 12. And that's not even going into what would have happened in Oklahoma.

The only way this happens is if it's done in secret. That's why Texas ended up in the SEC, even though plenty of people within the institution had zero desire to go there. When the other conferences were approached, especially the Big 10, they wanted a more transparent process, which simply would have derailed the whole thing, possibly on either end. Heck, A&M would have done more to derail it if they'd been included in the conversations.

None of this is to tell Tech fans how they should or shouldn't feel. I've never been one to think it's my place to lecture another fan base about how they should feel regarding anything, and don't really understand it all that much when Texas fans choose to do it. 

But this idea Texas could have exited the Big 12 in a more honorable fashion is bullshit. Exiting in a more honorable fashion means either not exiting at all, or carrying along excess baggage they were trying to get away from in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

What?  How exactly would you have liked that process to play out?

If you can’t see that how the two schools went about that is not only completely shady but devoid of even a modicum of honor and integrity, then we can’t have a legitimate conversation. 

My non-message board UT friends (the real life people) are all honest in acknowledging that the way that went down was not cool.  Only a few people here think we should all think UT does everything with the utmost in honor and integrity  

3 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Reading comprehension is fine.

It's your logic that defies comprehension, so I connected it all up for you.  

You are welcome.

Apparently not. 

I will sum it up for you in big letters so you can understand:

I DO NOT HATE BEARD. I HAVE NO ILL-WILL TOWARDS HIM. THERE IS NO PROXY HATE. 

Edited by Uncle Nate

If you can’t see that how the two schools went about that is not only completely shady but devoid of even a modicum of honor and integrity, then we can’t have a legitimate conversation. 

My non-message board UT friends (the real life people) are all honest in acknowledging that the way that went down was not cool.  Only a few people here think we should all think UT does everything with the utmost in honor and integrity  

I've already answered you, but I just wanted to say I will gladly acknowledge Texas handled it with a lack of honor and integrity, if you'll admit if they'd handled it with what would be considered honor and integrity from your point of view, the move either doesn't happen, or includes more schools than just Texas and OU, which neither school nor the SEC wanted.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

In that case, your "real-life UT friends" are thoroughly clueless about inter-conference politics and probably do take-out from Applebee's 4 days/week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I don't think "honor" and "integrity" even come into play here.  Have you never negotiated a new job while still on the clock with your current employer?  Should that all be done in the open?  That's nuts.

Beyond that, @SL Xpress addressed the practical reasons for it playing out the way it did.  There was no other way.  Sorry your brand sucks to the extent that you don't have the power of a UT or OU.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, SL Xpress said:

I've already answered you, but I just wanted to say I will gladly acknowledge Texas handled it with a lack of honor and integrity, if you'll admit if they'd handled it with what would be considered honor and integrity from your point of view, the move either doesn't happen, or includes more schools than just Texas and OU, which neither school nor the SEC wanted.

I would acknowledge that my friend, but seeing how the Legislature did basically nothing (outside of a handful of West Texas reps trying to save face), I seriously doubt they would have done anything had it happened in the open. It’s a different makeup in Austin now than it was in 1995.  I think Aggy already in the SEC changed the dynamics dramatically this time. 

But let me be clear. I still love all of my UT friends, and I like all of you imaginary friends here at the shaggy. My hate for UT the institution (and by institution I mean the entire historical UT presence and actions) does not translate to the fans, players, coaches, academics, staff, etc. 

And I take great pleasure knowing y’all have to live with aggy again. That’s truly the best part of all of this. Lol. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think "honor" and "integrity" even come into play here.  Have you never negotiated a new job while still on the clock with your current employer?  Should that all be done in the open?  That's nuts.

Beyond that, @SL Xpress addressed the practical reasons for it playing out the way it did.  There was no other way.  Sorry your brand sucks to the extent that you don't have the power of a UT or OU.

@SL Xpress is a standup guy and always posts thoughtful and logical posts. But I do think the Governor, Lt Gov, and Legislature would have not done anything to stop y’all this time. Like I said in my post above, this isn’t the same makeup in governance that we had in 1995. And if we are honest, we have to give credit to Aggy for paving that road for y’all. 

28 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

uh, you realize the conference was nuked when aggy, CU, Neb, and Mizz, went titty baby right?  why aren't you pissed at them for nuking the conference?

we held it together longer that it should have been.  we also saved you from bolivian by not going to Big 10 or SEC by getting the Big 8 SWC merger done.

either you are way more pissed about us taking Beard or you don't follow logic very well.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

@SL Xpress is a standup guy and always posts thoughtful and logical posts. But I do think the Governor, Lt Gov, and Legislature would have not done anything to stop y’all this time. Like I said in my post above, this isn’t the same makeup in governance that we had in 1995. And if we are honest, we have to give credit to Aggy for paving that road for y’all. 

Well, this board isn't the appropriate place for CR type discussions, but if you think Abbott, Paxton and the rest will ever act with restraint given the opportunity to appeal to the great unwashed, then you're a fool.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, this board isn't the appropriate place for CR type discussions, but if you think Abbott, Paxton and the rest will ever act with restraint given the opportunity to appeal to the great unwashed, then you're a fool.

Yeah was not going there with the CR.  I’m just saying this current group in Austin would not have stopped y’all. That wasn’t the anthill they were willing to die on. 

Your non-message board UT friends were either patronizing you or are clueless. UT and OU leadership made a business decision and went about the best they could under the circumstances. Tech would do the same exact thing if they were in UT’s position.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I would acknowledge that my friend, but seeing how the Legislature did basically nothing (outside of a handful of West Texas reps trying to save face), I seriously doubt they would have done anything had it happened in the open. It’s a different makeup in Austin now than it was in 1995.  I think Aggy already in the SEC changed the dynamics dramatically this time. 

But let me be clear. I still love all of my UT friends, and I like all of you imaginary friends here at the shaggy. My hate for UT the institution (and by institution I mean the entire historical UT presence and actions) does not translate to the fans, players, coaches, academics, staff, etc. 

And I take great pleasure knowing y’all have to live with aggy again. That’s truly the best part of all of this. Lol. 

You and I disagree about what the legislature could or couldn't do.

The head of the board of regents, Kevin Eltife, was the driving force behind UT's move to the SEC. The key thing that made it successful is that he was a former state senator, so he knew how to maneuver around the legislature. He knew he had a window this year, with a UT alum as governor, where he could make this move and the legislature would be powerless to stop it without a special session.  

Let's say you're right, and the legislature plus executive branch wouldn't have done anything, or threatened anything, to keep UT from leaving for the SEC, and neither would have Oklahoma's. Why in the world do you take that chance for the sake of doing it in a transparent way? Leaving for the SEC is a huge move that UT has been angling for since the early 90s (not the SEC, but a big moneyed conference). The Big 12 was a compromise move that worked so-so until it didn't. Most people involved with UT wanted to go to the Big 10 or Pac 12, but to make moves to those two conferences would have opened up Texas and OU getting rejected for all kinds of reasons - which I mercifully won't go into - all while opening up the possibility that the legislature starts threatening UT's exclusive deal (along with A&M) to the Permanent University Fund. Which frankly is a bigger deal to Tech affiliated legislators than the move to the SEC. Anything they could use to crack that open they would have.

It simply wasn't worth the risk. The way it was done was cleaner and more effective, from a UT and OU perspective. It's also Machiavellian, which you're pissed about. Again, I'm not one to try to tell you how to feel about it, and I don't understand others who take that position. But it simply wasn't tenable to have an open conversation about moving to another conference. Either it would have been blocked by institutions on the other side (e.g. A&M) or the schools left behind with some kind of political pull would have brought in any chits they had to block it (along with A&M), or change it to force other schools into the formula, in both Texas and Oklahoma.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

we'll just have to settle for going 3-1 against them, should we hold serve versus BlowU in Lubbock.

Agree with the other points in your post regarding the business of college hoops.  A little hate is still warranted, regardless.

Edited by slorch

17 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Your non-message board UT friends were either patronizing you or are clueless. UT and OU leadership made a business decision and went about the best they could under the circumstances. Tech would do the same exact thing if they were in UT’s position.

The UT-OU decision has made sense from the get go.  Why are they beholden to anyone else?

5 hours ago, slorch said:

The truth shouldn’t surprise you.

you remember the ‘we stole your corch’ motto on the board right? We all kinda shrugged and y’all giggled. I ‘member…

Now it’s wrong to answer back, after scoreboard and all?

I don’t remember that response from Tech fans or administrators at any time.  I heard a lot of talk about a “traitor”.   That is laughable imo.  

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

I don’t remember that response from Tech fans or administrators at any time.  I heard a lot of talk about a “traitor”.   That is laughable imo.  

I didn't embrace the Traitor call out.  He went home to his alma mater, just like DKR did, right?

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I mean, OU tried. DKR had no desire to go back there.

The beauty of this situation is that given today, at this very moment, neither party would change it.

How often does that happen 9-10 months after the fact?

Just now, slorch said:

No it isn't.

But if you want it to turn out that way, then fucking great!!!

Yes, it is very much.  Tech fans didn’t figure out that Spike was better than David until after we fired him.  My definition of butthurt.

Not too concerned about Beard turning out like McWilliams, but it is evident that his successor is good.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

The beauty of this situation is that given today, at this very moment, neither party would change it.

How often does that happen 9-10 months after the fact?

I don't know. I don't care. I do remember KU fans who were glad to have Bill Self 9-10 months after Roy Williams left for UNC. Does that count? And that exit was a heck of a circus. Much bigger than Beard leaving for Texas.

I feel like Tech fans should be allowed to feel however they feel. It's none of my business. I'm impressed with the job Adams has done. Anyone with working synapses that enjoys college basketball would feel the same way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't know. I don't care. I do remember KU fans who were glad to have Bill Self 9-10 months after Roy Williams left for UNC. Does that count? And that exit was a heck of a circus. Much bigger than Beard leaving for Texas.

I feel like Tech fans should be allowed to feel however they feel. It's none of my business. I'm impressed with the job Adams has done. Anyone with working synapses that enjoys college basketball would feel the same way. 

And I think Beard will do good things for UT. It stings a little, but it’s true. 

5 minutes ago, TxTower said:

?!?! Quit while you’re behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're behind 2-0.

Go!!!  Coming soon:  More replies from the Bingo flow chart.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

You're behind 62-80, but please continue with your aggy behavior of selective results in order to assuage your obvious butthurt and insecurity about your station in life.

LOLz.  The Beard Saga was the context. YOU changed it. Go "Big Brother" somebody who gives a fuck about Big brother.  You only wish this was aggy, so your flow chart/ bingo card/ canned answers would still work.

April fools, brother.

Edited by slorch