Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

welp, bye. don't want anybody like that anywhere near this program. i feel sorry for Tre h ain't so many shitty, selfish adults in his life. still, not worth the headache. thanks for quitting in your team halfway through the season Tre. i'm sure all of your now former teammates really appreciate it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

If there is a family situation, then I definitely sympathize and wish him all the best.

Having said that, Google Tony Bergeron and UMass.  Long story short, his high school coach, Bergeron, leveraged his way onto the coaching staff at UMass when Tre was being recruited, had a “difficult” relationship with the UMass coach while he was there and then was promptly let go once Tre transferred, and as of last spring, he was also engaged to Tre’s mother.   This comes from the Boston newspapers, btw, not any $9.95er or inside info source.  

Tre probably needed to be an all-conference stud here for this to end any other way.

I do wish we had played through him more on offense, though.  He really is a smooth and skilled scorer in the low post.  I liked the lineups with him, Allen and Bishop in the frontcourt for us more than the 3 guard lineups.  But that’s water under the bridge, and he had enough less than stellar moments with physicality where it was entirely predictable that a coach who preaches defense and aggression would give him the quick hook.

Yeah, this is what I had been hinting about regarding his recruitment. Didn't want to speculate in case it turned out a close family member had cancer or something horrific like that. I was shocked we got Mitchell, to be honest, given how defensive minded Beard is. But Beard sold him on having a positionless 5 players on the court and being allowed to play facing the basket a bunch. 

I thought we'd see more of what we did against Kansas. However, KU's post defense really is a different level of bad, especially for a team ranked as highly as they are. McCormack is inconsistent, and Lightfoot is all too consistent...ly bad. 

As hard as I was rooting for him, he simply got stuffed too much when he got the ball in the interior, and/or allowed players to swat the ball out of his hands when he brought it down. Good player, though. I'll miss him.

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Wait…so he left because he wasn’t getting enough playing time/opportunity….so he could sit home and do nothing? 

That’s his plan?

Why not finish out the damn season?

Because it's much easier to blame your problems on someone else when you're not turning the ball over all the fucking time.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So he’s no different than any other coach in the country.

agreed.

LOLz at quoting the only part of that post that was remotely critical of Beard, and even in that; the gist of the post was in defense of his methods.

Edited by slorch

Wait…so he left because he wasn’t getting enough playing time/opportunity….so he could sit home and do nothing? 
That’s his plan?
Why not finish out the damn season?

Transfer Portal? Who would take him after this?

Not sure I see much planning here but I’m only a fan who doesn’t really understand the game.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Transfer Portal? Who would take him after this?

Not sure I see much planning here but I’m only a fan who doesn’t really understand the game.

He'll land somewhere.  Some coaches are so desperate for talent, they'll gladly accept him and deal with whatever issues his circle brings along.

Just now, TxTower said:

So he could go play defense there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter. Adams has already said he thought Mitchell was the best player in the portal last year. 

That would be a heck of a coup if they develop Bryson Williams into a first team all conference, then does something to make both Jaylen Tyson and Tre Mitchell productive.

16 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Doesn't matter. Adams has already said he thought Mitchell was the best player in the portal last year. 

That would be a heck of a coup if they develop Bryson Williams into a first team all conference, then does something to make both Jaylen Tyson and Tre Mitchell productive.

If Adams takes him, then I trust his judgment,

but screw that Daddy bullshit all to hell.

"if your son comes here, you shut the fuck up."

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Mitchell already used his one time transfer to come to Texas so could he even transfer again? Can a guy do a regular transfer and then a grad transfer?

You can still transfer. Have to sit a year. Then there are NCAA waivers available. Plus he has a year of eligibility and a covid year remaining. If college basketball is what everyone decides is best for him, there are ways to get it done.

Based on Beard’s time at Tech and his short tenure at UT, he may be a victim of his own superlative ability to recruit. It’s evident he can be persuasive, even charming when necessary, to sell highly prized recruits on his vision of championship basketball. The rub comes when his vision clashes with the desire of offensively talented players (and their families) not to have their gifts sublimated in a scheme wherein defense rules the day. Beard probably has a great deal in internal dissonance trying to reconcile a very understandable desire to make a splash by reeling in the most coveted portal players (the big baller, shot caller syndrome) with an objective talent assessment that might result with less heralded players who might better fit his schemes. It’s hard to ignore how some of these big names enter the front door and exit through the back really quick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Based on Beard’s time at Tech and his short tenure at UT, he may be a victim of his own superlative ability to recruit. It’s evident he can be persuasive, even charming when necessary, to sell highly prized recruits on his vision of championship basketball. The rub comes when his vision clashes with the desire of offensively talented players (and their families) not to have their gifts sublimated in a scheme wherein defense rules the day. Beard probably has a great deal in internal dissonance trying to reconcile a very understandable desire to make a splash by reeling in the most coveted portal players (the big baller, shot caller syndrome) with an objective talent assessment that might result with less heralded players who might better fit his schemes. It’s hard to ignore how some of these big names enter the front door and exit through the back really quick.

Well, we're 3/4 through year one. 

It's way too early to come to any conclusions. We have four games left, then the conference tournament, then the NCAA tournament. This team is more short handed in the front court than they were on paper prior to the start of the season thanks to Tyson transferring and Mitchell taking a leave of absence from the team. But they can still do some good things. Just have to see what the roster looks like heading into year two and see how that unfolds. One thing I know, is that winning cures all kinds of ills. 

31 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Enough players have complained from his time at Tech and here to make me think the gripes about his offensive philosophy are valid. Beard needs to get a guru on offense on his staff. 

Or he needs to win at a high level with the philosophy he currently employs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

Enough players have complained from his time at Tech and here to make me think the gripes about his offensive philosophy are valid. Beard needs to get a guru on offense on his staff. 

guys who don't like his offense should never commit to play for Chris Beard in the first place.

Tre's idiot dad claims to be a basketball genius whose knowledge exceeds that of people who are "literally just fans", and yet he's apparently surprised by Beard's offensive tactics, and claims that Beard is clueless when it comes to offense, when in reality he runs a very efficient offense that compliments his elite level defense. sucks for Tre that his idiot dad appears to be pulling all of the strings. 

edit: an offensive guru isn't the answer. it's not that Beard is clueless offensively, it's that he may very well be a defensive savant and therefore runs an offense that will compliment his biggest strength, which is his defensive style of play. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm not seeing Beard hiring any "offensive gurus" to shore up that side of the ball.  His teams play the way they do for a reason.  Texas fans need to get used to it.

He took a 3 seed to the championship game.  Neither the seed nor the results were a fluke -- Tech knocked out a pair of 2 seeds and a 1 seed along the way, with relative ease -- and there is zero reason to believe he can't be just as successful in Austin, if not more.  I don't think this particular team is anywhere near representative of what he'll be able to accomplish here.  It's almost all duct tape, string, and sealing wax.

Edited by jimmyjazz

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I just want to emphasize the hilarious irony of a helicopter dad accusing fans of being myopic. “Don’t listen to the dumb fans. Listen to me, overbearing father complaining on social media. Only I (and this guy peddling a “Beard hates bigs” conspiracy theory) can give you an honest  unbiased take on my son.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

If there is a family situation, then I definitely sympathize and wish him all the best.

Having said that, Google Tony Bergeron and UMass.  Long story short, his high school coach, Bergeron, leveraged his way onto the coaching staff at UMass when Tre was being recruited, had a “difficult” relationship with the UMass coach while he was there and then was promptly let go once Tre transferred, and as of last spring, he was also engaged to Tre’s mother.   This comes from the Boston newspapers, btw, not any $9.95er or inside info source.  

Tre probably needed to be an all-conference stud here for this to end any other way.

I do wish we had played through him more on offense, though.  He really is a smooth and skilled scorer in the low post.  I liked the lineups with him, Allen and Bishop in the frontcourt for us more than the 3 guard lineups.  But that’s water under the bridge, and he had enough less than stellar moments with physicality where it was entirely predictable that a coach who preaches defense and aggression would give him the quick hook.

It's hard to play through Mitchell in the post when he was consistently pushed out to the mid-range extended. He wasn't ready for the game in physicality of the Big 12.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's hard to play through Mitchell in the post when he was consistently pushed out to the mid-range extended. He wasn't ready for the game in physicality of the Big 12.

None of our inside players are. If they're within 3 feet of the bucket I'd rather them just dribble out to 5 to 7 feet. When they go up from directly under the bucket they lack the explosiveness, strength and physicality to convert. It's basically a prayer at that point. 

Beard’s offense would look a lot better if he had a true PG he could play. It doesn’t matter what system you believe in as a coach, you have to have someone who can handle the ball and distribute in the half court or else things are going to look ugly.

I think the combo of Morris, an older Askew and the other freshman coming in will give us that next season. Add in Dillon Mitchell who will be the best big man we have the moment he steps on campus, and things should look a lot better.

As for this year, just pray we get a solid matchup draw in the tournament. Will be more about the matchup/style of opponents than the seed.

Edited by Hookem2147

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

"he knows nothing about how to coach offense".

BFE93F52-D6FB-455E-B959-4D9DD1A8F72C.jpeg

802A1C73-9DC7-463F-A03D-DDD4115CF4BB.jpeg

I've said this before, but I still don't like the style of offense he plays, I think it relies far too much on individual efforts as opposed to playing good team basketball in the half court. It's not really a true motion offense, and half the time you're really not sure what's going on until someone makes an individual play. If you look at our big tourney games that year:

1. Michigan - Didn't matter much, UM could not handle the no middle defense and effectively gave up after halftime.
  2. Gonzaga - Great game, but we got pretty lucky with some individual plays down the stretch and some poor officiating in our favor/boneheaded mistakes by the Zags. We had two possessions in a row toward the end where we just aimlessly dribbled the ball around the perimeter and chunked up a 3, both just happened to go in. We absolutely pissed our pants on a couple of full court presses that also could have cost us the game, etc etc.
  3. Michigan State - Almost pissed this game away due to lack of coherent offensive action for the last 10 minutes or so of that game. Dribble, dribble, dribble, 3 pointer from Culver sealed the game.
  4. Virginia - Lots of what ifs in that game, but dribble, dribble, dribble, contested Culver jumper (x2) on the final possession was not what I wanted to see. Literally any kind of offensive action or set play would have been better.

Again, that 2019 Tech team was a huge anomaly in an offensive sense. We had at least 5 (depending on how you slice it) competent ball handlers and 6 players you absolutely had to guard at the 3 point line (7 if you stretch it and count Tariq Owens...his percentage wasn't great but he was green-lit to shoot them and hit several big 3s in the tourney). That is not normal and literally any school would be lucky to see that kind of combination in a lifetime.

I do believe Beard would benefit greatly from changing his offensive approach, maybe bringing in a known offensive mind as an associate head coach or something and let him focus on the defense. A lot of people wanted him to do that at Tech.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think our offensive approach is fine.  We need a point guard and some bigs who can execute it.

All of the stats indicate our offense is fine. It’s not great but we have some pretty glaring player deficiencies. I don’t like our style of offense because I don’t like playing slow but it’s the right offense for the defense we play. It’s not always perfect but every indicator is that we create pretty good shots and score efficiently but we play low possessions so the bad ones stand out more. We also can go on some scoring droughts but it seems to me like that’s when we start looking for more of the iso game. TT abs pretty standard for basketball though. If you’re having trouble scoring from sets then give it to your best scorer and let them cook.