Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Oh good Christ. Last home game of the year. Kansas Saturday. Getting hot going into March for the first time in a billion years. And you write about who may or may not come back next year. It’s late fucking February not July you stupid asshole. 

Anyways, fuck Baylor. It’s absurd their school exists at all. Fucking please beat these useless sacks of shit 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Oh good Christ. Last home game of the year. Kansas Saturday. Getting hot going into March for the first time in a billion years. And you write about who may or may not come back next year. It’s late fucking February not July you stupid asshole. 

Well it's also Senior Day so.... who besides Febres and Licon is going to be honored?  Just because they are honored doesn't mean they can't come back - but I'd say if you are telling Beard you want to be honored, you don't really plan on it.   And they could also decide not to be honored and then go pro or graduate and move on after the season without getting a Senior Day.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just a gut feeling, but I don’t feel like Carr, Ramey and Allen will be back next year. Could maybe see Bishop and Jones sticking around. Cunningham, Askew and Disu are obviously sophomores or juniors so I would expect them back.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

They wouldn’t go to the NBA with a good year next year either. At some point it’s smart to just start your professional career overseas or in the G-league or whatever before you get too old.

This is where NIL could really come into play. We could pretty easily make coming back for a year the smart decision for one or two of those guys. Allen, especially, would be worth finding some solid NIL funds. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

This is where NIL could really come into play. We could pretty easily make coming back for a year the smart decision for one or two of those guys. Allen, especially, would be worth finding some solid NIL funds. 

Agreed. Getting Allen and Mitchell back somehow  and pairing them with Dillon Mitchell and Morris and a shooter or two from the portal would be damn good.

I definitely think Carr is gone, along with Febres, Licon and Mitchell.  I don't think he'll be back.  

I think Jones comes back.  Just a gut feeling. 

I think Bishop could go either way.  Ramey/Allen, I'm not optimistic, but another year under Beard would probably do well for their development.  Can we get some basketball NLI shit going? 

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

They're seniors. I don't expect Jones back either. I doubt dude wants to spend 7 years on campus. Like @Hookem2147 mentioned sometimes it's best to get on with your life. 

Ok, hold on, wut?  Andrew Jones is eligible to spend a 7th year on campus?  How is this possible?  He would have to apply for a medical redshirt year- right? Or have they dropped that requirement and just started passing them out like candy.

It doesn't feel like he has a future in the NBA (hope I'm wrong, obviously, but who knows), but this is the kind of thing that it would be crazy to let him get out the door to play in the Dleague or overseas.  That's a 40k job in the G league and 200k overseas, more or less, right? If ever there was a hoops guy we should absolutely have 500k going to in NIL it should be that dude. 

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok, hold on, wut?  Andrew Jones is eligible to spend a 7th year on campus?  How is this possible?  He would have to apply for a medical redshirt year- right? Or have they dropped that requirement and just started passing them out like candy.

It doesn't feel like he has a future in the NBA (hope I'm wrong, obviously, but who knows), but this is the kind of thing that it would be crazy to let him get out the door to play in the Dleague or overseas.  That's a 40k job in the G league and 200k overseas, more or less, right? If ever there was a hoops guy we should absolutely have 500k going to in NIL it should be that dude. 

He will likely have to apply for a waiver.  A lot of athletes got 5th year eligibility, so that will likely be the school's argument for Jones if he opts to come back.  The argument is that if 2020-2021 didn't count eligibility-wise, Jones still has 1 more season to play, even if he's a 7th year student athlete. 

I know there's a volleyball player at Nebraska who plans to apply for the same waiver - she played in 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021 (RS in 2016, medical redshirt in 2018) and wants her 5th year that others got. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He will likely have to apply for a waiver.  A lot of athletes got 5th year eligibility, so that will likely be the school's argument for Jones if he opts to come back.  The argument is that if 2020-2021 didn't count eligibility-wise, Jones still has 1 more season to play, even if he's a 7th year student athlete. 

I know there's a volleyball player at Nebraska who plans to apply for the same waiver - she played in 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021 (RS in 2016, medical redshirt in 2018) and wants her 5th year that others got. 

out of rep for the day blah blah blah.  Thanks

I definitely think Carr is gone, along with Febres, Licon and Mitchell.  I don't think he'll be back.  
I think Jones comes back.  Just a gut feeling. 
I think Bishop could go either way.  Ramey/Allen, I'm not optimistic, but another year under Beard would probably do well for their development.  Can we get some basketball NLI shit going? 

Some of my fondest memories were of Andrew Jones as a freshmen, dropping dimes to Chris Mihm and Kris Clack.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve been wondering if/when and how much NIL is going to impact college basketball and baseball. Gonna be fun to watch unfold 

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’ve been wondering if/when and how much NIL is going to impact college basketball and baseball. Gonna be fun to watch unfold 

Baseball will be interesting, as it’s the one sport where you can get a 7 figure deal right out of high school, and you aren’t even expected to make the big club for years.  Will NIL compete at that financial level for those guys?  The 500k guys?

Somebody start the game thread.  Will enjoy pontificating our roster next year, I'm a roster/schedule junkie since I think it drives just as much on the W-L/seeding side as style of play and coaching.  

But in three hours, we're sending the Morgue...to the Morgue.  Very meta.  Obviously there's still some family events and a WBB game this weekend.  

But after about 300 men's games and a couple dozen concerts...somebody pour one out for the FEC for us.  

Also, best way to sen off an old but familiar home is to beat the shit outta Baylor.  

10 hours ago, HookEm said:

The arena should be rocking tonight. I like our chances.  Then we get 5 days to prep for KU.  Meanwhile they have to play TCU twice.  I wouldn’t be shocked if we won both of them.

i still think Baylor is too much for us to handle, barring them having a real off night and/or the type of home cooking that we never seem to get at the FEC. bout to find out.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Baseball will be interesting, as it’s the one sport where you can get a 7 figure deal right out of high school, and you aren’t even expected to make the big club for years.  Will NIL compete at that financial level for those guys?  The 500k guys?

No chance. Baseball impact will be about keeping guys another year and equaling scholarships for public schools compared to private. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think you have a really perverse definition of "greatest game".

Well, we did lose but I have not been to a game since that was as exciting start to finish.  Nor have I seen an Erwin Center crowd  on their feet from start to finish.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i still think Baylor is too much for us to handle, barring them having a real off night and/or the type of home cooking that we never seem to get at the FEC. bout to find out.

They're athletic and skilled but on the road. We're unathletic but gritty and at home. To me, that adds up to a possible Texas win but a probable Texas loss. Want to be wrong. 

Hmmm, what the fuck are we doing for big men next year?  Our recruiting class is great, but it's a small forward and guards.  I think Disu is really athletic, but it's concerning that he's not getting playing time.  Is he still injured?  We don't have length or athleticism on the whole team.  We might have it in the 1 to 3 spots next season, but... the 4 and 5 spots look iffy. 

52 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Hmmm, what the fuck are we doing for big men next year?  Our recruiting class is great, but it's a small forward and guards.  I think Disu is really athletic, but it's concerning that he's not getting playing time.  Is he still injured?  We don't have length or athleticism on the whole team.  We might have it in the 1 to 3 spots next season, but... the 4 and 5 spots look iffy. 

Try to convince Bishop to come back and attack the portal.

Edited by Hookem2147

52 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Disu will return, he will regain explosiveness on that knee. Bishop can return if he chooses. We will hit the portal for bigs, it’s a better way to recruit

also, it felt like i ran into one of y'all before the game. did that happen by chance?

Lol that was me; assuming you’re thinking of the bald/bearded dude who patted you on the shoulder in the lower level concourse.

Internet is a weird place, but it was good to see you man…glad you got some nice memories despite the bad result tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Muny_Tex said:

Lol that was me; assuming you’re thinking of the bald/bearded dude who patted you on the shoulder in the lower level concourse.

Internet is a weird place, but it was good to see you man…glad you got some nice memories despite the bad result tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice to meet you bro. we didn't even have to say, "i'm from the internet." we were simpatico. and yeah, that was a less than ideal way to close out the FEC, but i've had more than my fair share of amazing memories in there. cannot wait to make some new memories at Moody. 🤘🏼 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

4A78EA2C-7041-4038-8BE2-6090302BA3ED.thumb.jpeg.bc2537f8ff4d40a2deed6078546373a5.jpeg

B0859512-2441-4763-AA1F-6737DC0E7968.thumb.jpeg.b69e72e2d1c9ceac2b962e91539eac6e.jpeg

getting to catch up with these guys after the game was the highlight of the night. all of them are excited about Beard, and have been connecting with him regularly. the program is undoubtedly in great hands. the loss tonight sucked, but the future is oh so bright. 

oh yeah, i should mention- talking to TJ, i mentioned the interest that A&M has shown in his son, and said, "please do not let him go to A&M", and TJ said (in so many words), "yeah that shit happening; we're working on getting him to Texas." Coach Beard- you know what to do. Make it happen capn!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

This morning's Bracketology:

NCAA Bracketology - Projecting the 2022 March Madness men's field (espn.com)

Texas a 5 in Buffalo, matched with Rick Pitino's Iona squad. Providence is the 4.    On the other side, Baylor is the 1, TCU is the 9. 

Baylor, KU are 1 seeds
Texas Tech a 3 seed
Texas a 5 seed
ISU a 7 seed
TCU a 9 seed

Seems reasonable. Maybe bu or ku catch the top 2 seed if things fall a certain way, maybe others can move up a seed with a good tourney run and/or big upset. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

This morning's Bracketology:

NCAA Bracketology - Projecting the 2022 March Madness men's field (espn.com)

Texas a 5 in Buffalo, matched with Rick Pitino's Iona squad. Providence is the 4.    On the other side, Baylor is the 1, TCU is the 9. 

Baylor, KU are 1 seeds
Texas Tech a 3 seed
Texas a 5 seed
ISU a 7 seed
TCU a 9 seed

Where’s the Sooners?