Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

11 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

I'll just say what we're all thinking.  Fuck this motherfucking busted cunt of a conference.

Lolz.

It will get easier for you soon...

I have this gut feeling that we are gonna play UNC in the first round and get beat.  I have no clue if their projected seed matches with ours or not, but its very on brand of us to get matched against a basketball powerhouse that is having a down year, only for them to play their best game in march and beat us.

All I want is 1 tournament game win.  That is all I need to consider this season a success. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

I have this gut feeling that we are gonna play UNC in the first round and get beat.  I have no clue if their projected seed matches with ours or not,

Lunardi has UNC as an 8 and us as a 5.  He'd have to be pretty far off (8/9, 7/10, 6/11, etc.) for that to be a 1st round matchup.

17 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I went back several pages trying to find a thread specifically about the upcoming move to the SEC but couldn’t find anything. 

In any case, it’s on the football board. This video was dropped on pretty much every social media platform about 6 hours ago. It’s an amazing video, but the ending feels jaw dropping in a “it’s happening!” sort of way. Well worth the 2m to watch it. 

Saw the part where Colt went in for a TD.  That game/injury still hurts... a little less now, but still hurts.

5 minutes ago, Zuerst said:

Saw the part where Colt went in for a TD.  That game/injury still hurts... a little less now, but still hurts.

I feel ya. We’ve been so good since then it really helps take the pain away, doesn’t it?

That’s like in 1983, when we were so close to winning a national championship, then spent the next 15 years in the shitter for the most part. And no, the pain hasn’t diminished one iota for me. I never thought we’d go through that kind of drought again, yet here we are. In 40 years we’ve had about 10 years of consistently being nationally relevant, from 2000-2009. That’s unbelievable to me  

In any case, back to basketball, we now have Beard, and I not only think we’re going to get back to where we were from 2002-2008, I feel like we’re going to surpass it. Frankly, there are a lot more easy wins in the SEC in basketball than there are in the Big 12. I’m looking forward to the new conference affiliation. I honestly prefer the Big 12 in basketball, but that’s not how it works, and it does have some advantages, too. I think the thing I’m most excited about is playing Arkansas on a regular basis. I hate playing them in football, but basketball is a different story. 

On 3/7/2022 at 4:08 PM, DiceHands said:

I have this gut feeling that we are gonna play UNC in the first round and get beat.  I have no clue if their projected seed matches with ours or not, but its very on brand of us to get matched against a basketball powerhouse that is having a down year, only for them to play their best game in march and beat us.

All I want is 1 tournament game win.  That is all I need to consider this season a success. 

Except we own UNC in basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/7/2022 at 5:23 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Lunardi has UNC as an 8 and us as a 5.  He'd have to be pretty far off (8/9, 7/10, 6/11, etc.) for that to be a 1st round matchup.

Us as a 5 doesn’t make me feel great given that a 12 almost always knocks off 5

We all have PTSD from the last decade of Longhorn tournament performances, though 

you're scared that we'll lose because of our seed? because of the number next to our name? yeah that's not how this works. i can hear chris beard now: "yeah i thought our guys played a really good game and left it all on the line, but what are you gonna do? we were a 5 seed. we were doomed from the jump. we obviously had hoped for that 6 seed, but the committee gave us the 5 seed, and that was that. nothing we could do."

Edited by shadow_operative

16 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

We all have PTSD from the last decade of Longhorn tournament performances, though 

Any 5 seed can lose to a 12.  A 6 will lose to 11.  A 7 will lose to a 10.  Hell, a 3 will lose to a 14 - shit happens.

The projected 12 seeds: UNT, SDSU, Rutgers/SMU, Xavier/Wyoming.  Yeah, we could lose to them if we don't show up with a good game plan and stink up the joint.  That's not really Beard's NCAAT MO.  

UT fans need to remember that Barnes post-2008 and Shaka are gone.  It's ok to feel optimism heading into the tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Bahaha nice attempt at generalizing, but Barnes was 2-1 in the first round in his last three appearances and his only loss was as an 11 seed, so when you say PTSD, you’re really just talking about Shaka. You just can’t bring yourself to say it. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Haha 1

I feel very confident in this team in a first round game, because in many ways they play like a more athletic version of a low seed team. They play great defense, and they rely on an efficient offense. Those will be applicable whoever the opponent is. Beard is great in taking away an opponents’ best backcourt weapon. It doesn’t happen in every game, but it happens often. And while this isn’t an athletic team, it will be more athletic than their opponent in the first round. 

To me those are the opponents I get less excited about. The teams that are frankly just flat out more athletic. The teams with a traditional low post option on offense. The teams with guards who can dribble penetrate. 

And forget about the #5 versus #12 seed. The biggest hose job I ever saw Texas get in terms of seeding was in 2001, where we went 12-4 and tied for 2nd in the Big 12, ended the season ranked #18, made the conference tournament final, and ended up with a #6 seed facing a formidable Temple team and that fucking 2-3 zone that had no business being seeded 11. I would have killed for a #5 seed that year. We all knew that was trouble as soon as we saw the matchup. Fucking Temple. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I feel very confident in this team in a first round game, because in many ways they play like a more athletic version of a low seed team. They play great defense, and they rely on an efficient offense. Those will be applicable whoever the opponent is. Beard is great in taking away an opponents’ best backcourt weapon. It doesn’t happen in every game, but it happens often. And while this isn’t an athletic team, it will be more athletic than their opponent in the first round. 

The teams that gave us the most trouble this year were the Gonzaga/Tech/Baylor types that were long and athletic.   The 12 seeds in Lunardi's bracket are UNT, SDSU, Rutgers/SMU, Xavier/Wyoming.  

This team is built to win a first round game for the reasons you said, and maybe a second round game depending on who the opponent is (4 seeds: Arkansas, UCLA, Providence, Illinois - but upsets could happen top any of them).  By the time you get into the 2nd weekend and after, you start hitting those teams who give us fits.  If we get that far.  

I am very confident we win against as a 12 seed.  Less so against a 4 seed.  If we got to the Sweet 16, I think it looks more like our Tech/Baylor game scores, unless we get lucky and some upsets save us from playing a good team. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The teams that gave us the most trouble this year were the Gonzaga/Tech/Baylor types that were long and athletic.   The 12 seeds in Lunardi's bracket are UNT, SDSU, Rutgers/SMU, Xavier/Wyoming.  

This team is built to win a first round game for the reasons you said, and maybe a second round game depending on who the opponent is (4 seeds: Arkansas, UCLA, Providence, Illinois - but upsets could happen top any of them).  By the time you get into the 2nd weekend and after, you start hitting those teams who give us fits.  If we get that far.  

I am very confident we win against as a 12 seed.  Less so against a 4 seed.  If we got to the Sweet 16, I think it looks more like our Tech/Baylor game scores, unless we get lucky and some upsets save us from playing a good team. 

You and I see it the same way. But honestly, I figured out midway through the season after I realized my preseason expectations were waaaaay out of whack, that a first round win would have me doing cartwheels. Even at the beginning of the year when I was dreaming of all these top transfers coming together to be a college all star team, a sweet 16 finish would have been enough. 

Just please don’t lose in the first round. That would really put a damper on how I view this year, and I’d prefer that not to happen. 

SMU is a longer and more athletic team than Texas (also shoots the 3 better) and would potentially have the best player on the floor. But SMU isn't particularly well coached, not as smart or disciplined, and may not even make the tournament. 

But - of those 12s listed - I think that is potentially the most problematic matchup. Especially objectively I'd imagine and not coming from someone who has zero faith in Jankovich and that team winning a tournament game or even not shitting the bed in the 1st round of the American. i.e. were I just a Texas fan I would not want to see that matchup.

It may be a moot point. SMU potentially needs to beat Memphis in the conference semis to get in. If they do that - I'm not sure they are a 12. 

I don't have a scouting report on those other 12s. I find it hard to believe any of them would present more problematic athleticism, however. I also don't think any of them will play smarter and harder than Texas and none of them are as well coached. 

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Bahaha nice attempt at generalizing, but Barnes was 2-1 in the first round in his last three appearances and his only loss was as an 11 seed, so when you say PTSD, you’re really just talking about Shaka. You just can’t bring yourself to say it. 

No I was in attendance during Barnes last game when we scored a whole 48 points against Butler in Pittsburgh. I still have PTSD from that

Also you've got it backwards. We were 1-2 in the opening round in Barnes' last 3 Texas tournament appearances. Not 2-1.

Lost to Cincy in 2012, didn't make the tournament in 2013, beat AZ State thanks to a last second tip in from Cam Ridley in 2014 (I was also in attendance for that), and lost to Butler in 2015.

We've lost in the opening round in 6 out of our last 8 tournament appearances after the Elite Eight run. Barnes lost 3 of those and Shaka lost 3.

Maybe you should admit simple reality that we all watched with our own eyes? Barnes and Shaka both shit the bed as tournament coaches at Texas over the last decade. That's why Barnes coaches in Knoxville instead of Austin now.

Once again, it's allowed for late era Barnes and Shaka to both suck. You don't have to pick one as your favorite and pretend that they didn't both suck. They both sucked and I, for one, still have PTSD from both of them sucking over the last decade.

Edited by MotownHorn

27 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Also you've got it backwards. We were 1-2 in the opening round in Barnes' last 3 Texas tournament appearances. Not 2-1.

Lost to Cincy in 2012, didn't make the tournament in 2013, beat AZ State thanks to a last second tip in from Cam Ridley in 2014 (I was also in attendance for that), and lost to Butler in 2015.

Let's consider seeding, though.  I'm not absolving Rick Barnes for the fact that 2 of his last 3 tourney teams were 11 seeds, but at least it's understandable when an 11 seed loses to a 6 seed.  Conversely, Shaka's teams lost as a 6, a 10 (OK), and a 3 (WTF?).

• Hook 'Em 1

That's fair re: seeings. I personally have been disappointed in our performance for a decade now under both Barnes and Shaka. Others may disagree.

I'll be very nervous next Thursday or Friday when we play. I know that much. Hopefully we're a 4 or 5 in Milwaukee and I get to see it in person with my kiddo.

Edited by MotownHorn

29 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I'll be very nervous next Thursday or Friday when we play. I know that much. Hopefully we're a 4 or 5 in Milwaukee and I get to see it in person with my kiddo.

Wait . . . your username is shorthand for "Morgantown Horn", but you'll be attending the early round games in Milwaukee . . . home of Marquette?

I think there's something you're not telling us.

• Haha 2

here's @Bitterwhiteguy's predictably bitchass response to Texas's win where we covered the spread against kenpom's #42 team, a team that just beat KU in FW and then took them to the very end in Lawrence:

DF89C5BF-9771-4260-BE76-766F818C1219.thumb.jpeg.ba13c88a7cb667f7fe70f97b9016f479.jpeg

4FE7512F-2902-46AA-9A84-24C30D96DE83.thumb.jpeg.710851c5c7a92dd1e85df1f481c40ebd.jpeg

@Bitterwhiteguy you're such a bitchass, anti-Texas clown. just come out and say it: you're praying that Texas goes one and done while Marquette makes a run. tell the truth. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . your username is shorthand for "Morgantown Horn", but you'll be attending the early round games in Milwaukee . . . home of Marquette?

I think there's something you're not telling us.

Sister lives in Milwaukee. I was out there for the cam Ridley tip in W too (that’s our last W in the tournament, right? 8 F’in years ago 🤬)

12 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

You all are telling me I shouldn't worry too much about this team losing their opening round game??!?!?!?!

In 5 years Chris Beard has exactly 1 conference tournament win. If Texas beats TCU, which I feel like they will, he'll have 2. It's not something to get too worked up about.

26 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I did not know that. Interesting 

This is an absolutely pathetic performance though 

Yep. No argument there. It was bad. Just not completely surprising to me. He's had worse losses in the conference tournament with much better teams. 

39 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

In 5 years Chris Beard has exactly 1 conference tournament win. If Texas beats TCU, which I feel like they will, he'll have 2. It's not something to get too worked up about.

Chris Beard has the same attitude toward conference tournaments that Bob Knight had...they aren't fans of them, and unless you have to win it to get into the Dance, not much point to it because it most likely won't affect your seeding.  Better to have a rested team for the NCAA tournament.  (Their opinion, as I understand it).

Makes sense.

Edited by Uncle Nate

17 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

If we can’t get out of the 1st Round next week, then I’m saying it now: This year will have been a step BACKWARDS from Shaka, and the jury will be fully “out” on Beard being any better.

Shaka got six years without good reason other than to ride out his contract. Beard made the tournament in year one with scraps. He's not getting fired any time soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

If we can’t get out of the 1st Round next week, then I’m saying it now: This year will have been a step BACKWARDS from Shaka, and the jury will be fully “out” on Beard being any better.

You feel like this team not doing as well as a team with a roster full of NBA players and a true point guard is an unexpected step backwards? This team is not as talented as last year's team. Last year's team underperformed at a ridiculous level. This team has underperformed based on unrealistic preseason expectations, but based on their talent level, I think they've done fine. They've done well if you factor in how new everyone is to one another.

I would have preferred a win over TCU. Losing a 40-22 lead in the 2nd half is pretty sickening, that's for sure. The last minute was excruciating. But it doesn't really have an impact on how I view the season.

It's all about the first round in the tournament. That's unfair in many ways, but that's the society we live in. It's how every coach in college basketball is measured. It's how Chris Beard is measured. He was hired at Texas and is getting paid more than the football coach because of the Elite Eight and national championship appearances at Texas Tech.

He really needs to win the opening round game. That's just how it is.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

18pts Toads vs 8 pts HORNS off turnovers 

Toads outrebounded Horns too...  38-31

TCU is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country. Texas has done well against them in the first two matchups, but that really is a team strength.

Just now, David Dennison said:

I will only consider the season a failure if we don't win our first round game.

I don't want to say I'll consider the season a failure. That seems a little strong - for me at least. But as excited as I am about Chris Beard - and I am excited - I will be disappointed. It will take a lot of the oomph out of the season for me. I've had a lot of fun following this team. I can see by the recent responses that's not universal, and that's okay. I would like to continue to remember my favorite memories with fondness, not some level of bitterness. A first round victory will do that for me.

I'm really interested to see where Texas ends up on the seed line, and who they face.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't want to say I'll consider the season a failure. That seems a little strong - for me at least. But as excited as I am about Chris Beard - and I am excited - I will be disappointed. It will take a lot of the oomph out of the season for me. I've had a lot of fun following this team. I can see by the recent responses that's not universal, and that's okay. I would like to continue to remember my favorite memories with fondness, not some level of bitterness. A first round victory will do that for me.

I'm really interested to see where Texas ends up on the seed line, and who they face.

I have football and basketball program mediocrity fatigue in a big way.

• Hook 'Em 1