Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

18 hours ago, Underdog said:

Still don’t think it’s right to have Nova as a 3 in Philly. 

Isnt the rule that you get to stay close to home as long as you're favored in both potential matchups?

I'm heading out to Milwaukee for the opening weekend and fully expecting to see Wisconsin and maybe Marquette

5 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Isnt the rule that you get to stay close to home as long as you're favored in both potential matchups?

I'm heading out to Milwaukee for the opening weekend and fully expecting to see Wisconsin and maybe Marquette

Better not wait for Round 2.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Pancho said:

No.

Seed — 68 teams earn bids to the NCAA tournament, and each one receives a seed — from 1 to 16 —that determines where the team will be placed in the bracket. After the First Four, there are four of every seed. The seeds are also ranked overall from 1 to 68. This overall ranking affects the order in which team locations are selected (with higher-ranked teams getting preference),

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/bracketiq/2021-03-14/what-march-madness-ncaa-tournament-explained

A number of complex rules govern the seeding process, so it is not as simple as merely following the S-curve, although that is the top priority according to the NCAA's rules.[14] Better teams have priority in remaining close to home, but no hosting institution's team can actually play at the location where the institution is hosting tournament games (generally, games are hosted on neutral courts, so this is not usually a problem).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_basketball_tournament_selection_process

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

A number of complex rules govern the seeding process, so it is not as simple as merely following the S-curve, although that is the top priority according to the NCAA's rules.[14] Better teams have priority in remaining close to home, but no hosting institution's team can actually play at the location where the institution is hosting tournament games (generally, games are hosted on neutral courts, so this is not usually a problem).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_basketball_tournament_selection_process

There is a "host" school for every venue, even if the team doesn't play its home games on that court. For games in San Antonio, UTSA is usually the host even if the games are not at the campus stadium.

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Seed — 68 teams earn bids to the NCAA tournament, and each one receives a seed — from 1 to 16 —that determines where the team will be placed in the bracket. After the First Four, there are four of every seed. The seeds are also ranked overall from 1 to 68. This overall ranking affects the order in which team locations are selected (with higher-ranked teams getting preference),

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/bracketiq/2021-03-14/what-march-madness-ncaa-tournament-explained

Looks like we are pretty much locked into a 5 seed but can probably go down to a 6 if things go right (or wrong?).

We can get back to the 4 line with losses this weekend and terrible conference tournaments by Arkansas, Illinois, Providence, and UCLA.  At the same time, we’d need to win at God’s Gift plus 2 more in the B12 tournament.  I can also see us moving up to the 4 with a loss at GG but multiple wins in the B12 tournament but also with early exits by those 4 teams already on the 4 line. 

I still maintain we are probably, most likely a 5.

As of today: 

Bracket Matrix - 5 seed (3rd 5 seed)

Lunardi - 5 seed (2nd 5 seed)

Palm - 5 seed (up from a 6 seed)

• Hook 'Em 1

8333B636-7CA0-440B-82DC-B5E559691A77.thumb.jpeg.51d2401d58fe121ee0a5b843fbdef977.jpeg

one bad loss on the entire season. how many years has it been since we could say that? shit, how many teams can ever say that they only had one bad loss during the entire regular season? 

Spoiler

when i was talking to Albert Burditt after the Baylor game, we were lamenting the fact that Texas could have used someone like him on the floor to help with rebounding and defense. Then Albert told me, "I've been talking with Coach. He said, 'Look, i've put together the best team that i could with the time that i had. wait until my own recruits and my own guys in here.'" i said shhheeeeiiiiitttttt partner- if that isn't exactly what you want to hear from the HC then i don't know what is. I loved hearing that. 

Edited by shadow_operative

10 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Horny Toads beat them in FW Monday and then took them to the end in KS last night.
I like our chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering our road woes, I do not like our chances.   Gonzaga, Seton Hall, Stillwater, Ames, Lubbock, Waco and we needed a huge comeback and a missed shot at the buzzer in Morgantown and OT in Norman.  We also had issues pulling away until the end in Manhattan.  The only real great road performance, from start to finish, was Fort Worth. 

But hey - surprise me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I still have some major annoyances if the committee gives us a 5 seed and gives teams like UH, Providence and UCLA a 4 seed.  Texas has a similar NET to UCLA/Illinois and better than Providence, more Q1 wins than UH and UCLA and same number as Illinois/Providence, a better SOS than all 4 of those teams and in the #1 conference in America. 

UH: NET #3; 1 Q1 win, #102 SOS (#7 conference) 
UCLA: NET #12; 3 Q1 wins, #54 SOS (#5 conference)
Illinois: NET #14; 5 Q1 wins, #22 SOS (#2 conference)
Providence: NET #24; 5 Q1 wins, #45 SOS (#4 conference)

Texas: NET #15; 5 Q1 wins (#1 conference)

There's really that big of a difference between Texas (#15, 5-8 Q1 record, #18 SOS) and Texas Tech (#11, 6-7 Q1 record, #16 SOS) when the former is a 5 seed and the latter is a 3 seed? 

And UH as a 4 seed with 4 Q1 games (1-3 record) and an SOS over 100 in the 7th best conference? Give me a fucking break. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I still have some major annoyances if the committee gives us a 5 seed and gives teams like UH, Providence and UCLA a 4 seed.  Texas has a similar NET to UCLA/Illinois and better than Providence, more Q1 wins than UH and UCLA and same number as Illinois/Providence, a better SOS than all 4 of those teams and in the #1 conference in America. 

There's really that big of a difference between Texas (#15, 5-8 Q1 record, #18 SOS) and Texas Tech (#11, 6-7 Q1 record, #16 SOS) when the former is a 5 seed and the latter is a 3 seed? 

And UH as a 4 seed with 4 Q1 games (1-3 record) and an SOS over 100 in the 7th best conference? Give me a fucking break. 

How much eyeball test is the Committee gonna use in setting up seeds??

Also curious how much credit is given to teams that had injuries during regular season, and teams that are playing better down the stretch??

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

How much eyeball test is the Committee gonna use in setting up seeds??

Also curious how much credit is given to teams that had injuries during regular season, and teams that are playing better down the stretch??

They do not use the "last 10 games" metric anymore, I believe.  They do take in account injuries and players who missed games to due to healthy and safety protocols. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They do not use the "last 10 games" metric anymore, I believe.  They do take in account injuries and players who missed games to due to healthy and safety protocols. 

Thanks -- I really like a metric that considers how teams are playing late.  It gives some late season hot streak teams more opportunities to get into the tournament -- Guess the eyeball test probably uses this to some degree for bubble teams...

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

In the end the 4/5 probably matters the least out of all of the ‘high’ seeds right? Even though the 5/12 game has been a bracket-killer historically, in the end if you TCOB the first game 4/5 only matters for what color uni you wear for the second game…

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Someone find J'Covan Brown and get him in PAF tomorrow for positive vibes!

I’ve never realized how positive the vibes were about J’Covan. Lots of people comment about missing him in some way. It warms my heart. I’ve never seen a player more misunderstood, that had to fight through more demons. I loved that kid from when he was a junior in high school. I’m always grateful to Barnes for having patience with him. It all made such a huge difference in his life. It could have gone a different way, but didn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I’ve never realized how positive the vibes were about J’Covan. Lots of people comment about missing him in some way. It warms my heart. I’ve never seen a player more misunderstood, that had to fight through more demons. I loved that kid from when he was a junior in high school. I’m always grateful to Barnes for having patience with him. It all made such a huge difference in his life. It could have gone a different way, but didn’t. 

Oh boy, you and Derka won’t see eye to eye here. I’ve tried informing him on what this kid went through to get here. You will explain better than I can. Aside from that, I thought he was a terrific basketball player, even post foot injury. Court vision, understanding of angles, post entry, moving without the ball, sliding into open spaces….the kid had a real feel for the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

that's one thing that always gets me. tons of people have crushed Barnes for not giving JB more minutes, but a)starting Doj and using JB as the sixth man was absolutely the best choice, and b)rick barnes moved heaven and earth just to get JB on campus, and then gave him more second and third chances than he ever have any other player in his entire career. Rick saw the good in J'Covan and did everything he could to help him out, and as you alluded to, it ended with JB getting to play for Texas and then enjoy a lengthy, still-going pro career, when in reality JB's life could have gone very very differently had Barnes not gotten him to campus. 

10 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Oh boy, you and Derka won’t see eye to eye here. I’ve tried informing him on what this kid went through to get here. You will explain better than I can. Aside from that, I thought he was a terrific basketball player, even post foot injury. Court vision, understanding of angles, post entry, moving without the ball, sliding into open spaces….the kid had a real feel for the game. 

i'm fully aware of J'Covan's story. I used to not be able to stand him because i was *so* excited to get him on campus (i'll never forget his first game when he was basically playing like a less athletic White Chocolate- i thought he was going to be a UT legend). but his attitude and the way he treated people were so shitty, and then he would constantly go rogue thinking he knew better than the coach. it infuriated me that we had a guy with actual all american talent who just would not listen, and who constantly has to be babysat.

now, a huge part of my anger and rage towards JB also stemmed from the fact that i had my own serious demons i was dealing with, fairly similar to JB's, and it was like watching myself fail to live up to my own potential because i couldn't get out of my own way, and was my own worst enemy. ive since realized that and processed it, and i no longer have any negative feelings towards JB. but man what could have been. 

• Hook 'Em 9

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm fully aware of J'Covan's story. I used to not be able to stand him because i was *so* excited to get him on campus (i'll never forget his first game when he was basically playing like a less athletic White Chocolate- i thought he was going to be a UT legend). but his attitude and the way he treated people were so shitty, and then he would constantly go rogue thinking he knew better than the coach. it infuriated me that we had a guy with actual all american talent who just would not listen, and who constantly has to be babysat.

now, a huge part of my anger and rage towards JB also stemmed from the fact that i had my own serious demons i was dealing with, fairly similar to JB's, and it was like watching myself fail to live up to my own potential because i couldn't get out of my own way, and was my own worst enemy. ive since realized that and processed it, and i no longer have any negative feelings towards JB. but man what could have been. 

There’s a lot of self awareness there that took a lot of work. 

As a side note, I wonder when I’ll be able to hand out reactions like candy like some of you. I’m grateful to get reactions to my posts, but apparently I have some kind of weekly quota or something. The most common screen I get on this site is “Sorry you have no more reactions to give.”

23 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Needed the Big 12 to confirm that for you, Brian? Anxiously awaiting the tweet that confirms that game will be one of basketball.

Don't know which is more funny:

A) Stupid Brian Davis tweet about Texas being #4 seed B12 tournament

or

B) Herpa Derpa calling BD out for such a stupid tweet

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Good job.  That's some serious self-reflection.  I'm glad to see it, and I wish you well going forward.

I'm still gonna shoulder check the hell out of you next time I see you.  I'm the guy who looks like Geddy Lee, but fatter.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good job.  That's some serious self-reflection.  I'm glad to see it, and I wish you well going forward.

I'm still gonna shoulder check the hell out of you next time I see you.  I'm the guy who looks like Geddy Lee, but fatter.

So like the lead singer of Canned Heat?

Hope the match-ups in the NCAA Tournament allow more minutes for Bishop.  Also saw a little more life out of Disu yesterday -- would be great to get more production from him in the tournament too !!

Kansas game Box Score for Texas...

Texas 

Texas 63
Player MIN FG 3PT FT REB PF A TO PTS
TOTALS 225 21-62 8-22 13-19 42 26 12 15 63
03 Ramey,Courtney 40 6-13 3-5 3-4 7 1 1 2 18
01 Jones,Andrew 37 4-14 1-7 3-4 6 2 1 0 12
00 Allen,Timmy 40 2-15 0-0 5-8 4 3 4 3 9
32 Bishop,Christian 20 3-4 0-0 0-0 7 4 1 1 6
02 Carr,Marcus 29 2-6 1-3 0-0 1 5 3 2 5
04 Disu,Dylan 12 2-3 1-2 2-2 5 2 0 2 7
13 Febres,Jase 16 1-3 1-3 0-0 3 2 0 0 3
30 Cunningham,Brock 9 1-1 1-1 0-0 2 4 1 1 3
05 Askew,Devin 22 0-3 0-1 0-1 2 3 1 1 0
TM TEAM 0 0-0 0-0 0-0 5 0 0 3 0
Team Summary FG 3PT FT
Total 21-62 8-22 13-19
  33.9 % 36.4 % 68.4 %
First Half 12-28 5-8 4-5
42.86 % 62.50 % 80.00 %
Second Half 8-25 3-10 5-10
32.00 % 30.00 % 50.00 %
OT 1 1-9 0-4 4-4
11.11 % 0.00 % 100.00 %

03.06.2022 | Men's Basketball

Five Longhorns on Phillips 66 All-Big 12 Men’s Basketball Award Teams

Allen, Bishop, Carr, Jones and Ramey recognized by league coaches.

Texas1stHalf_1.jpg?width=768&height=460&

IRVING, Texas — A total of five University of Texas players earned spots on the 2021-22 Phillips 66 All-Big 12 Men's Basketball Award teams, the league office announced Sunday.

Senior forward Timmy Allen earned All-Big 12 Second Team honors and claimed a spot on the five-person Big 12 All-Newcomer Team. Senior guard Marcus Carr garnered All-Big 12 Third Team accolades, while seniors Christian Bishop, Andrew Jones and Courtney Ramey each were selected Honorable Mention All-Big 12.

Allen has played and started all 31 games this season and leads the team in scoring (12.2 ppg), rebounding (6.5 rpg) and steals (37) and ranks second in assists (65) and third in minutes (28.9 mpg). He has converted 50.4-percent from the field (139-276) and 72.2-percent from the free throw line (96-133). Allen has reached double figures in scoring 20 times and registered three double-doubles on the year.

Bishop has played in all 31 games (20 starts) and leads the team in blocks (28) and ranks second in rebounding (5.6 rpg) and sixth in scoring (6.8 ppg) in 19.7 minutes per contest. He has converted 59.5-percent from the floor (78-131) and reached double figures in scoring nine times this year. In Big 12 play, Bishop ranked fifth in the conference in rebounding (6.8 rpg).

Carr has played in all 31 games (29 starts) and leads the team in assists (3.2 apg) and minutes (30.4 mpg) and ranks second in scoring (11.0 ppg) and tied for third in steals (29). He has registered a 1.7 assist-to-turnover ratio (99 assists, 59 turnovers) and reached double figures in scoring 19 times this season.

Jones has played in 30 games (17 starts) and ranks second on the team in steals (35), third in scoring (10.9 ppg) and assists (49) and fourth in minutes (25.8 mpg). He has converted 81.3-percent from the free throw line (52-64) and reached double figures in scoring 18 times this year.

Ramey has played in all 31 games (29 starts) and ranks second on the team in minutes (29.9 mpg), tied for third in steals (29) and fourth in scoring (9.3 ppg) and assists (47). He has reached double figures in scoring 12 times this season while embracing the role as a perimeter defensive stopper. In Saturday's regular-season finale at No. 6/7 Kansas, Ramey had primary defensive responsibility on Ochai Agbaji, the Big 12 Player of the Year. Ramey helped limit Agbaji, who entered the game averaging 20.2 ppg, to eight points on 1-of-11 field goal shooting, including a 0-of-5 mark from three-point range, while forcing three turnovers.

The official All-Big 12 awards are selected by the league's head coaches. The coaches are not allowed to vote for their own players.

No. 21/21 Texas (21-10, 10-8 Big 12) is the No. 4 seed in the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship and will open play in a quarterfinal-round contest against No. 5 seed TCU on Thursday, March 10 at 11:30 a.m. Central. The game will be televised nationally by ESPN2.

Neither Tech nor Texas got anyone on the all defensive team. That’s amazing. 

Also, of the 15 top honorees for all big 12 recognition, only two were really front court players. Allen and Wilson are more hybrids. Just a very guard heavy list. 

3 of the 5 all big 12 were transfers. 

And the freshmen in this conference were extremely underwhelming. Apparently only 10 freshmen earned as much as 50 minutes of playing time in conference play in the entire conference. 

I went back several pages trying to find a thread specifically about the upcoming move to the SEC but couldn’t find anything. 

In any case, it’s on the football board. This video was dropped on pretty much every social media platform about 6 hours ago. It’s an amazing video, but the ending feels jaw dropping in a “it’s happening!” sort of way. Well worth the 2m to watch it. 

• Hook 'Em 4