Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

not according to that picture you posted he doesn't.

not that joe lunardi's opinion means all that much.

Yeah, I edited. We're still the last top 4 seed. 

Bracket matrix currently has us as a 5 but I don't think a lot of the brackets have been updated. I think Texas will be a 4 seed in bracket matrix after Sunday when most of the brackets are updated. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Obvious that Askew and Febres helped pick up minutes for Brock being thrown out of today's game.  Wish Disu was more dependable because only 5 minutes is terrible.  Would like for Ramey's minutes to be a little less -- concerned he might be wearing down.  AJ is probably a 25-30min player.  CARR needs to stay out of foul trouble and play at least 30min per game.

Not having Mitchell really is hurting rotations -- would like for Timmy and Bishop to get a couple more breaks during the game.

Today's Game vs West Virginia

Texas Longhorns
  Min FG 3PT Reb Ast Pts
Courtney Ramey 35 1-4 0-1 5 0 8
Jase Febres 21 5-6 4-5 1 1 14
Devin Askew 25 2-3 1-2 3 2 5
Timmy Allen 36 7-9 0-0 10 3 26
Avery Benson 0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0
Cole Bott 0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0
Marcus Carr 17 6-6 1-1 1 0 15
Christian Bishop 32 1-1 0-0 4 1 3
Gavin Perryman 0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0
Andrew Jones 25 3-11 2-7 3 2 9
Tristen Licon 0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0
Tre Mitchell 0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0
Dylan Disu 5 1-1 0-0 0 0 2
Brock Cunningham 4 0-0 0-0 1 1 0

I would still like Mitchell on the roster but guys like Bishop and Allen don't need more rest. Your best players have to play 30+ minutes at this time of the year. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i know it's hard to imagine, because it's been, i dunno, a decade or more since we've experienced this, but it appears as if our players are getting better and better as the season goes on. our veteran guards have been pretty much nails lately, Timmy is establishing himself as the go-to guy, Bishop has become a force around the rim, and even Febres was hitting shots today with aplomb. a win vs Baylor would go a very long way towards validating this idea. I love this team, and i love how we've been playing lately. here's to seeing more growth, and more importantly, to seeing multiple wins in March. 🤘🏼 

Impressed with how Beard has kept this team together and playing with poise while being significantly behind in both the toads game and Wvu game.

Coming from behind in the 2nd half of the last two games and Winning is definitely  encouraging going forward into March...  🤘

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think with Disu it's also just learning how to play in this system. 

It took all of non-conference play for Bishop to figure things out and start playing at this level. 

I think the knee is 80%. He doesn’t seem to have confidence in it. 

During his early run where he started and played a few games, there was a game he started but didn’t start the second half. He eventually returned that game but had a white rubber band around the knee. He’s been regressing in my mind ever since. 

I think he shows way more next season if he sticks around. Make it happen Burnt Ends 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I think the knee is 80%. He doesn’t seem to have confidence in it. 

During his early run where he started and played a few games, there was a game he started but didn’t start the second half. He eventually returned that game but had a white rubber band around the knee. He’s been regressing in my mind ever since. 

I think he shows way more next season if he sticks around. Make it happen Burnt Ends 

I think it was the Ok State game. He got hurt, came back for a bit, but has never looked the same all season. He showed a lot of flashes in limited playing time before that game, but has looked absolutely awful ever since. It sucks. If he was the same guy he was last year at Vandy, this team would be top 10 in the country easily. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

I thought I saw Disu with a knee brace on sitting on the bench. Hopefully he didn't reinjure his knee. But if he was healthy and able to play 20+ minutes with Allen and Bishop. The Mitchell situation wouldn't matter.

DD finally looks like he traded in his cement shoes for Nikes 

We'll be playing either Texas Tech or Baylor in our first round of the B12 championships on Thursday, March 10 at 11:30AM.

Hoping for a win so I can drink for the next game on the following Friday night.  :)

Current B12 standings:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/standings/_/group/8

B12 championships schedule:

https://big12sports.com/tournaments/?id=1025

2 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

We'll be playing either Texas Tech or Baylor in our first round of the B12 championships on Thursday, March 10 at 11:30AM.

Hoping for a win so I can drink for the next game on the following Friday night.  :)

Current B12 standings:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/standings/_/group/8

B12 championships schedule:

https://big12sports.com/tournaments/?id=1025

No, that's not how it's going to work. Texas will play whoever is seeded 5, not who is seeded 3. It will likely be Iowa State.

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The ratio of stupid posts to ones asked on reality has really been amazing to watch.  Lotta first time basketball fans 

Gotta start somewhere. My hope is that we get a ton of new basketball fans in the coming years. It's not like the last decade was going to generate too many.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SL Xpress said:

Gotta start somewhere. My hope is that we get a ton of new basketball fans in the coming years. It's not like the last decade was going to generate too many.

New fans are great! They shouldn’t come with declarative statements that are false (like us being a bubble team) 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

No, that's not how it's going to work. Texas will play whoever is seeded 5, not who is seeded 3. It will likely be Iowa State.

Wow, not sure how I screwed that up, I even linked to the info.

image.png.8521e643ce8a83f5d82f095bbe556f9e.png

We're pretty much locked into #4 seed.  
Not sure why I inverted #5 with #3.

Temporary dyslexia!

image.png.1b94b6be52a139537ed9de971dad4de0.png

As crazy as it sounds, we could still win the conference.  The following need to happen:
1) We win against Baylor and Kansas
2) Tech loses to K-State and at OSU
3) Kansas loses to TCU twice
4) Baylor loses to Iowa State

We would then finish tied with Kansas and Baylor, but would have the tiebreaker as we would be 3-1 against them.  

12 minutes ago, HookEm said:

As crazy as it sounds, we could still win the conference.  The following need to happen:
1) We win against Baylor and Kansas
2) Tech loses to K-State and at OSU
3) Kansas loses to TCU twice
4) Baylor loses to Iowa State

We would then finish tied with Kansas and Baylor, but would have the tiebreaker as we would be 3-1 against them.  

I’m a believer!

Narrator: He’s not a believer. 

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

winning either of the next two would certainly lock up a 4 seed i would think. 

19 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Beating Baylor would almost certainly lock up a 4 seed I would think. 

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

winning either of the next two would certainly lock up a 4 seed i would think. 

3 seed with 3 wins between now and the end of the conference tourney stretch. 

52 minutes ago, Pancho said:

We wouldn’t get a 3 seed unless those above us just implode. I’d rather have the 4 seed (the #1 4 seed) in SA region than the lowest 3 seed in SF or Philly.

If we had 3 wins between now and the end of the season that leaves us #3 or 4 in the toughest conference in America, at least a semi finalist, maybe a finalist in that tournament, 24 wins, a net rating in the top 10 most likely, with an out of conference win against another team that’s close to top 10. Also, not a single bad loss all year. Worst loss would probably be by 1 at home to KSU, which has recently flirted with first 4 out or next 4 out status. 
I’m not guaranteeing that’s a 3 seed or anything, but that sure could be without anyone blinking an eye. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

Among many things trending upward for this program is late-game management. I believe there have been at least two instances this year in which our 'Horns were clinging to a 3-point lead with mere seconds remaining and the opponent in possession and, on both occasions, the ballhandler was denied an opportunity to tie the game and was instead sent to the free-throw line.

Also, as silly as things got yesterday for those final 30 seconds in Morgantown, that was one clutch miss from Timmy. It seemed intentional and I'm inclined to believe that direction came from Beard.

Games run together, so I can't pluck a specific incident from memory, but I seem to recall a finish or two under Shaka in which the other team was allowed to take a 3 late and send things to overtime, where it ultimately prevailed.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Also, as silly as things got yesterday for those final 30 seconds in Morgantown, that was one clutch miss from Timmy. It seemed intentional and I'm inclined to believe that direction came from Beard.

Yup, the play-by-play guys verbally agreed with you when that happened.

They didn't say "Hey that guy Brad knows what he's talking about".
But it was pretty close.

2 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Yup, the play-by-play guys verbally agreed with you when that happened.

They didn't say "Hey that guy Brad knows what he's talking about".
But it was pretty close.

The Texas Sports write-up says he intentionally missed

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Among many things trending upward for this program is late-game management. I believe there have been at least two instances this year in which our 'Horns were clinging to a 3-point lead with mere seconds remaining and the opponent in possession and, on both occasions, the ballhandler was denied an opportunity to tie the game and was instead sent to the free-throw line.

Games run together, so I can't pluck a specific incident from memory, but I seem to recall a finish or two under Shaka in which the other team was allowed to take a 3 late and send things to overtime, where it ultimately prevailed.

The funny thing about it to me was all the Tech fans criticizing Beard’s record in close games. Not that they were wrong, but it simply hasn’t manifested here. Never mind the clutch wins where Texas had the lead. A couple of epic comebacks while down late, too. 

One point of meaningless Internet reputation will be awarded to anyone attending what will apparently be the final home game at the Erwin Center. Please post pics.

Not a great hoops venue, but still many, many wonderful memories, dating back to the first college game I ever witnessed in person. Also attended my first aggy game of any sport there in '86 (a win for Weltlich and the men's team--give 'em hell, give 'em hell, make 'em eat shit!!).

Beating Baylor seems unlikely, but it sure would be a fine way to see the Drum off. No complaints from me if y'all storm the court.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Js1 said:

For tomorrow 

those are pretty sick. while i obviously don't have a pair of those, i still do have a few pairs of custom UT Nikes from over the years, including these team issued Air Forces with burnt orange trim:

987DA520-6C88-4203-A13B-CE1C0C09840A.jpeg.070d96448726ef07bc94c0a2be799a5b.jpeg

had em for years, and i've only worn them a handful of times. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Greatest basketball game played in FEC. 

Arguably.  A real sellout in the FEC. Insane game, back and forth, went to overtime, great offensive talent, teams hated each other, Richardson hated the refs and got tossed, Penders hated the refs but didn't get tossed. 

Top 5 for sure.