Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

Texas clearly lives rent free in the heads of >90% that have any association with that dump on the south plains. Those who grew up out there know that it’s really always been that way, it’s just that people outside of west TX are finally getting more exposure to the mental ineptitude of the proletariat. 

Yes, the University of Texas will always look down upon you and your ilk with plenty of good reasons. Good luck with your future irrelevance. No one cares.

Schitts Creek Good Luck GIF by CBC

Edited by Loop 1604
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Because it wasn’t done in any semblance of an honorable way. It was backroom, under the table, ghost the conference. At least man up and do things in the open. 

Good news is I never have to root for either UT or OU in their non conference games for the good of our SOS ever again. So I have that going for me, which is nice. Enjoy being back in bed with aggy. 

What is the honorable way to tell someone you’re leaving her for her hotter sister? So this criticism is so incredibly stupid

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Still #15 in NET. 

Palm has us as a 5 seed this morning with Tennessee as the 4 seed in the Souf bracket.  (Arizona the 1, Baylor the 2.)

I didn't realize Tenn was 10-7 versus Q1/Q2.  I know they're higher than us in NET (#11) and we are "only" 9-8 in Q1/Q2.  I wonder if we didn't blow that KSU game, we'd be the 4 and Tenn would be the 5 - we'd also be 10-7 and have the H2H win.

That KSU loss is pissing me off again. 

7 hours ago, slorch said:

LOLz.  The Beard Saga was the context. YOU changed it. Go "Big Brother" somebody who gives a fuck about Big brother.  You only wish this was aggy, so your flow chart/ bingo card/ canned answers would still work.

April fools, brother.

LOL IT IS FEBRUARY YOU IDIOT.

Jim Carrey Friends GIF

• Haha 2

If what Wells said last week on the radio is true about Mitchell and the coaching staff having a disagreement, then that’s a tough pill to swallow because I thought Mitchell was beginning to look more comfortable.

I don’t blame Beard for trying to get as many good players as he could out of the portal to try to bridge the gap for one year since Shaka left him 3 players and no recruiting class. There’s obviously a risk though to getting a bunch of players in the same room who have egos and were the #1 scorer at their previous stop.

Just speculation, but I have a strong feeling that we'll see more international players via the portal on next year's and future year's rosters.  Beard and Donewald's connections, particularly in Europe, are still pretty strong.  

That combined with the ability to attract higher ranked (one and done, two and done) types from high school would seem to be more of the roster construction formula moving forward.  We were lucky to get the guys we got - Beard and the coaches started in April, and the team was basically in place in May.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Is this about him thinking he’s a step out big and bricking all those threes?

Anybody who knows what this is about isn’t saying. So all we’re left with is speculation. Which I’m not going to get into. The bottom line is he’s not going to be available for the rest of the year, which puts the woefully undermanned, undersized front court under more pressure. 

At his best he was by far the team’s most gifted front court scorer. And he showed some nice vision and passing at times, too. I’m disappointed it hasn’t worked out. 

Regardless of what you think about Beard - and I for one am beyond thrilled so far - that would be two players leaving the program in the middle of the season. It’s his first year, so turnover isn’t that unusual while establishing a culture, but players leaving in the middle of the season is not exactly normal, either. I’m interested to see how year two goes in this regard, especially with the two McD’s signed. 

9 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Just speculation, but I have a strong feeling that we'll see more international players via the portal on next year's and future year's rosters.  Beard and Donewald's connections, particularly in Europe, are still pretty strong.  

That combined with the ability to attract higher ranked (one and done, two and done) types from high school would seem to be more of the roster construction formula moving forward.  We were lucky to get the guys we got - Beard and the coaches started in April, and the team was basically in place in May.

Donewald was also the head coach for the Chinese national team. His resume is really interesting. His Dad was a longtime head coach, and was on Bobby Knight’s staff for his undefeated Indiana team, hence the connection to Beard. 

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Regardless of what you think about Beard - and I for one am beyond thrilled so far - that would be two players leaving the program in the middle of the season. It’s his first year, so turnover isn’t that unusual while establishing a culture, but players leaving in the middle of the season is not exactly normal, either. I’m interested to see how year two goes in this regard, especially with the two McD’s signed. 

Agreed. Definitely something to keep an eye on. His style of play isn’t very exciting, but it works if players buy in and he has the right pieces. I’m sure he’s hard to play for at times, but you could say that about a lot of successful coaches.

I wonder if he will attack the portal a little differently this offseason and look for a few more complimentary type pieces instead of the big names. 

Edited by Hookem2147

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Agreed. Definitely something to keep an eye on. His style of play isn’t very exciting, but it works if players buy in and he has the right pieces. I’m sure he’s hard to play for at times, but you could say that about a lot of successful coaches.

I wonder if he will attack the portal a little differently this offseason and look for a few more complimentary type pieces instead of the big names. 

There are some big names I wouldn’t have minded. Akinjo was a big name. Tschiebwe was a big name. (Those transfer recruitments were done by the time Beard was in place, btw). Not to mention Bryson Williams, who just feels like a flat out blown opportunity.

And the season isn’t done. We make it farther in the tournament than we think we will at this point, we’ll be thinking about the team and the path to building it in a different way. It’s the first year. It’s been a great first year, for me at least. Just need to see what happens. 

Also, the NIL game will need to become clearer. I know we’ve had some exciting announcements, but the Athletic had an article about Tschiebwe’s endorsement opportunities at Kentucky that just became available, and they were pretty eye opening. Right now it feels like Calipari is going to get his pick of players, then everyone else can figure out the rest, unless you’re Duke or Memphis with your own game going on. 

32 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Anybody who knows what this is about isn’t saying. So all we’re left with is speculation. Which I’m not going to get into. The bottom line is he’s not going to be available for the rest of the year, which puts the woefully undermanned, undersized front court under more pressure. 

At his best he was by far the team’s most gifted front court scorer. And he showed some nice vision and passing at times, too. I’m disappointed it hasn’t worked out. 

I'm not worried about Tyson leaving. Dude seems like a head case. Or at the least an indecisive teenager that isn't talented enough to play as a freshman anyway. 

Mitchell has seemed aloof and like his mind was elsewhere most of the season. I thought he was coming around during the KU game. Maybe this is an issue that goes further back than just the games he's missed. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not worried about Tyson leaving. Dude seems like a head case. Or at the least an indecisive teenager that isn't talented enough to play as a freshman anyway. 

Mitchell has seemed aloof and like his mind was elsewhere most of the season. I thought he was coming around during the KU game. Maybe this is an issue that goes further back than just the games he's missed. 

I’m not worried about either of them leaving. Shit happens. But if we lose a couple of players during the season next year I’ll find it interesting. That’s into the future, though. Right now I just want to win what I consider a must win game at home against TCU. 

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

5 seed in Lunardi’s update this morning with the 4 seed being Tennessee.  (1-Arizona, 2-Baylor, 3-Illinois)

Upside? Souf Region in SA.

I like the location.  I don't like the potential rematch in the 2nd round.  

Not having Mitchell and potentially losing to Barnes in the tournament to miss out on a Sweet 16 would be a huge kick in the nards, considering Rick didn't get us to a Sweet 16 since 2008. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I like the location.  I don't like the potential rematch in the 2nd round.  

Not having Mitchell and potentially losing to Barnes in the tournament to miss out on a Sweet 16 would be a huge kick in the nards, considering Rick didn't get us to a Sweet 16 since 2008. 

Maybe if we play Barnes and Tenn again we will keep the double digit lead we had for most the second half of the first game. 

But let's get out of the first round for starters. 

Mitchell leaving combined with Disu struggling to find his form from last year is a  real problem for us, since we were already thin up front.

Bishop is a good player for us, but he can’t hold down the 5 for long stretches, so we really need Disu to get it going quickly, otherwise we now have a huge hole on the roster that will give us serious trouble moving forward. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hope Tre is alright. I often kept my attention on him when he was on the bench or away from play on the court -- he seemed like a rah-rah, emotional guy that was interested in the success of his teammates. As Macklin said, his absence will probably be a big loss and could keep us from advancing too far in the Big 12 or NCAA tourneys. 

Mitchell leaving combined with Disu struggling to find his form from last year is a  real problem for us, since we were already thin up front.

Bishop is a good player for us, but he can’t hold down the 5 for long stretches, so we really need Disu to get it going quickly, otherwise we now have a huge hole on the roster that will give us serious trouble moving forward. 

Agreed.

Seemed that a recent trend was Mitchell losing minutes to Bishop. Wonder if that could be the issue. Mitchell will be a real loss for the season end tournaments and, since he’s a junior, next years roster as well. A 2023 roster which is already thin.

Disu has been a huge disappointment so far, but you’re rolling the dice with any player coming off a serious injury.

5 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Agreed.

Seemed that a recent trend was Mitchell losing minutes to Bishop. Wonder if that could be the issue. Mitchell will be a real loss for the season end tournaments and, since he’s a junior, next years roster as well. A 2023 roster which is already thin.

Disu has been a huge disappointment so far, but you’re rolling the dice with any player coming off a serious injury.

Yeah, I was hoping for a lot more from Disu. I usually don't even realize he's in because he's so often a non-factor. 

12 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Hope Tre is alright. I often kept my attention on him when he was on the bench or away from play on the court -- he seemed like a rah-rah, emotional guy that was interested in the success of his teammates. As Macklin said, his absence will probably be a big loss and could keep us from advancing too far in the Big 12 or NCAA tourneys. 

I genuinely think Mitchell's absence will cost us a game in the tourney. 

We were warned about the Mitchell circle. He had been inconsistent all year and one big game gave him ideas about his potential. BU just out toughed him and everyone else. Not sure that’s the game you want to show to Beard being inconsistent. Might be better to show why you don’t go after guys like Mitchell in the portal. 

Edited by Dr. Teeth

Again, I don't blame Beard for just trying to find good players considering the roster that was left behind for him last April, but this was the risk of bringing in a bunch of transfers who were the #1 option at their previous school. Hopefully we can be more selective in the portal moving forward and take mental evals into heavy consideration.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

If there is a family situation, then I definitely sympathize and wish him all the best.

Having said that, Google Tony Bergeron and UMass.  Long story short, his high school coach, Bergeron, leveraged his way onto the coaching staff at UMass when Tre was being recruited, had a “difficult” relationship with the UMass coach while he was there and then was promptly let go once Tre transferred, and as of last spring, he was also engaged to Tre’s mother.   This comes from the Boston newspapers, btw, not any $9.95er or inside info source.  

Tre probably needed to be an all-conference stud here for this to end any other way.

I do wish we had played through him more on offense, though.  He really is a smooth and skilled scorer in the low post.  I liked the lineups with him, Allen and Bishop in the frontcourt for us more than the 3 guard lineups.  But that’s water under the bridge, and he had enough less than stellar moments with physicality where it was entirely predictable that a coach who preaches defense and aggression would give him the quick hook.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah maybe if he could catch and then possess the fucking ball. 

Yep. Mitchell has great post moves and touch, but you can’t play through him when he turns the ball over as easily as he does. He was super turnover prone against good competition. He did usually feast on less talented teams, though. 

Edited by Burt Macklin