Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

As far as I’m concerned I wish you’d post more. I can’t remember the last time you posted anything I didn’t strongly agree with. Or learned something from. 

Just read something he posts that isn't about Texas basketball. 

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So if I’m understanding the surly scouts correctly, as long as we avoid facing a team who can a) shoot or b) Has size or c) has athleticism or d) has good guard play or e) is a mid-major program with white guys, we should be good to go next week.

Hopefully the committee pairs us with 2021 Abilene Christian

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting discussion on radio this morning about Texas inability to finish games -- it happened in all 3 of their recent losses to baylor, kansas, and tcu.  Beard definitely frustrated, and also mentioned problems with players tensing up in yesterday's game.

At the 2:43 mark 2nd half yesterday, Ramey hit a 3pt shot to put Horns up by 4pts 59-55.  After that Texas was outscored 10-1.  Recently, the Texas coaches have been really working hard with the players in practices on the final 4 minutes of games and improving closing out games.

Any thoughts or comments on how this issue might get turned around??

The goal is still there—just 1 win in the tournament. I still trust and like Beard long term.  I think he’s a “fuck the conference tournament” type coach similar to Barnes. 

This mornings update:

I don’t put too muck stock into Palm, but he’s one of the ones I go-to when it comes to bracket predictions.  Every so often, his predictions can get a little cray.  This morning is one of those days.  He has Texas as the 6, Tech as the 4, aggy as a 12 (play-in) and all 3 teams are in the Souf (SA) region.  *laughs*

Lunardi still has us as a 5, and we are moved to the Souf (SA) region.  4 seed is Providence. 

5 seed on bracket matrix.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The goal is still there—just 1 win in the tournament. I still trust and like Beard long term.  I think he’s a “fuck the conference tournament” type coach similar to Barnes. 

This mornings update:

I don’t put too muck stock into Palm, but he’s one of the ones I go-to when it comes to bracket predictions.  Every so often, his predictions can get a little cray.  This morning is one of those days.  He has Texas as the 6, Tech as the 4, aggy as a 12 (play-in) and all 3 teams are in the Souf (SA) region.  *laughs*

Lunardi still has us as a 5, and we are moved to the Souf (SA) region.  4 seed is Providence. 

5 seed on bracket matrix.  

Seth Greenberg on "Get Up" just said Texas is probably one of the teams overvalued going into tournaments -- "can't score" was his comment.  🙄

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

FNkp_f0X0AATJT0?format=jpg&name=900x900 

That 5m mark from Babers feels a little arbitrary to me. No one says the 5m mark. It’s always the last 4m with the tv timeout. It makes me suspicious what the difference is in the numbers when that one minute is factored in.

I see the critical comments on here or in this tweet, and it just looks like they’re coming from people holding this team to a higher standard than me. Which is fine. “We’re TEXAS” “Not to be entrusted to the timid or the weak!” and all that. That’s important to me, too. However, anyone who is going to be disappointed this team doesn’t make some kind of deep run in this tournament is on crack cocaine as far as I’m concerned. If we had a ridiculous record of recent success I could understand the angst, but fuck me. It’s been 8 fucking years since there’s been a win in the tournament. How about we get one of those? Could we do that please?

If people want to whine about the TCU loss I get that. It sucked. No two ways about it. But it sure felt like the outcome mattered a lot more to Dixon than it did to Beard. I’m not using that as an excuse. It was a choke job by everyone involved, and that’s all there is to it. But I don’t see it as the indictment others do.

As far as Baylor and Kansas, Texas isn’t facing a team like that until the Sweet Sixteen. At least one of them will be a #1 seed. Maybe both. But the other one is going to be a #2 for sure. The jumping to conclusions mat being utilized when discussing those two games is made out of flubber.

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

putting this in spoilers, just to be safe (i'm sharing something i heard secondhand about Beard and this team:

Hide contents

i was speaking to a former UT player recently who told me re: Beard and this team of recruits, that Beard said to him essentially what several of us have been saying: "Look, i went and got the best players i could get on short notice to put this team together. Wait until i get my own type of guys in here in the future." It's exactly what i wanted to hear, and it leaves me with very little doubt about Beard's recruiting strategy moving forward.

So after his team underperformed relative to expectations he blamed it on the players?

Man what great leadership!

• Fuck You 7

Well, the players are the ones going cold at the end of the game.  At some point it does become their responsibility.  A coach could be criticized for not developing the ability in his players to close games out, but that's not exactly as easy as (say) teaching a specific offense.  He could be criticized for not managing the end of game as well as possible.  Still, the players were the ones who fell on their collective face.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

That 5m mark from Babers feels a little arbitrary to me. No one says the 5m mark. It’s always the last 4m with the tv timeout. It makes me suspicious what the difference is in the numbers when that one minute is factored in.

The NBA uses 5 minutes within 5 points as "clutch time". Is there a different standard for college?

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, the players are the ones going cold at the end of the game.  At some point it does become their responsibility.  A coach could be criticized for not developing the ability in his players to close games out, but that's not exactly as easy as (say) teaching a specific offense.  He could be criticized for not managing the end of game as well as possible.  Still, the players were the ones who fell on their collective face.

this was from yesterday's post game presser.  he's taken it down though since then though i think.  

image.png.145fa44772a5ab75606639d36f3619ad.png

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

this was from yesterday's post game presser.  he's taken it down though since then though i think.  

image.png.145fa44772a5ab75606639d36f3619ad.png

That doesn’t bother me. Vic Schaefer said the same thing not long ago and really challenged his players. 

“They were as good as we were the first half. But we got out of character and tried to do some different things. We’ve got too many people taking too many shots they don’t take in practice even though we tell ’em, ‘You’re open for a reason.’

“We just got out-toughed on some plays, out-toughed on some rebounds. We think we’re playing hard, and we’re not. Offensively, we have too many people trying to be the hero. Your team is destined for failure if everybody is trying to be the hero.”

"I've beat my head in with some of them for now two years on what to do and how to do it," Schaefer said. "They keep wanting to do it their way. Their way ain't working. That's frustrating as a coach. When you can't get a senior, a veteran to do it your way, it never works out their way."

Team hasn’t lost since he ripped them 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

So after his team underperformed relative to expectations he blamed it on the players?

Man what great leadership!

Guess he needs to blame it on the laundry guy...  "Those damn uniforms weren't soft enough today -- Fuck!!! "

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

It’s always a possibility. Let’s see who the matchup is with. That said, I think it’s more about your PTSD kicking in than a realistic outcome. 

C(urrent)TSD, as PTSD implies the mental scarring results from events that happened in the past. When it comes to football and basketball, we've been choking away leads and shitting our pants in the clutch for several years now. I can understand the sentiment.

Of course we should beat an 11 seed, but tournament success when games get tight usually goes to teams that have strong leadership and clutch go to scorers. We're 30+ games into the season and I have a hard time identifying who on our team fills those rolls. I get that grabbing as many transfers as we were forced to do is the reason for that. But watching us play, it still seems like 10+ guys that just met at Gregory a couple of weeks ago. Good players, but not a "team." I get a completely different feel watching a lot of these mid majors scrapping their way through their conference tournaments, but again many of those teams have been playing together for years. That shit matters in march.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

TCU got a board with 25-30 seconds left and we didn't even try to foul until there was 15 seconds left.

That's on the coach, not the players, imo. He should have had them ready to foul immediately.

• Fuck You 2

I just watched Mike Woodson's postgame interview after IUs win over Illinois.

He said "we've lost a lot of close games this year and that's on me. I take responsibility for that."  He didn't say they lost close games this year because his players aren't true competitors like he is.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

5 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

He said "we've lost a lot of close games this year and that's on me. I take responsibility for that."  He didn't say they lost close games this year because his players aren't true competitors like he is.

So…different coaches coach in different ways? Isn’t that the most that can be learned here?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

we should fire beard and hire woodson.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Blotto said:

C(urrent)TSD, as PTSD implies the mental scarring results from events that happened in the past. When it comes to football and basketball, we've been choking away leads and shitting our pants in the clutch for several years now. I can understand the sentiment.

Of course we should beat an 11 seed, but tournament success when games get tight usually goes to teams that have strong leadership and clutch go to scorers. We're 30+ games into the season and I have a hard time identifying who on our team fills those rolls. I get that grabbing as many transfers as we were forced to do is the reason for that. But watching us play, it still seems like 10+ guys that just met at Gregory a couple of weeks ago. Good players, but not a "team." I get a completely different feel watching a lot of these mid majors scrapping their way through their conference tournaments, but again many of those teams have been playing together for years. That shit matters in march.

All I can say is that I’m not concerned with the first round game at this point. Maybe they announce the matchups on Sunday and I have an “oh shit” moment, but right now that’s not the case. The team plays amazingly well on defense. That’s obviously where a preponderance of the practice time goes. The offense doesn’t look like a well oiled machine, but as I’ve said previously, at Tech there have been a lot of watching paint dry moments in the last 5 years for me when they were on offense, as well. 

Look at conference play. They lost to ISU in Ames back when the Cyclones could actually score once in a blue moon. They lost to OSU in historical Gallagher-Iba to a bunch that has been surprisingly scrappy given their lack of a post season. They lost 5 out of 6 times to the 3 best teams in the conference. The only loss that sucked - and it sucked at the time, and it sucks now - is the collapse in Austin versus K-State. Whoever Texas plays in the first round is not going to have Nigel Pack or his equivalent at point guard. 

If people want to be Mack Brown scaresyoutodeath about the first round game, be my guest. I don’t share the sentiment. I think the defense is the type that’s going to give a first round opponent fits. Win the turnover battle, get back in transition, switch effectively, and be efficient, if not overpowering, on offense. Then there is likely going to be a 2nd round opponent that’s going to be a serious upgrade in challenge, barring an upset. But at that point we’re playing with house money as far as my expectations are concerned. 

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Last 5 minutes within 5 points has become a fairly standard metric the NBA uses. He's just borrowing that. 

Babers isn't the type to cherrypick to advance a narrative anyway. 

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

Here's Tom Izzo calling out players by name. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/big-ten/tom-izzo-calls-out-veteran-players-after-michigan-state-gets-upset-northeastern-seasons

But by all means, continue to use Mike Woodson as the gold standard of college basketball coaching. His college resume speaks for itself. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

It’s always a possibility. Let’s see who the matchup is with. That said, I think it’s more about your PTSD kicking in than a realistic outcome. 

It was partially said in jest, but I'm entirely aware it could happen.  I'm also aware that we win that game and a potential rematch vs 3 seed Tennessee. (Based on cbs bracketology matchups)

Who fucking knows with this team.

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Just happened to be watching the game and thought it stood in stark contrast to "I hate to lose but these pussies on my team are fine with it, I guess"

did you even watch the Texas game? do you have any original or substantive thoughts based on what you actually saw, or are you just in here picking fights and making definitive statements based on a couple of sentences from a postgame presser? 

Interesting discussion on radio this morning about Texas inability to finish games -- it happened in all 3 of their recent losses to baylor, kansas, and tcu……..Recently, the Texas coaches have been really working hard with the players in practices on the final 4 minutes of games and improving closing out games.
Any thoughts or comments on how this issue might get turned around??

Ask the Football staff what they recommend, and do the opposite?
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Let’s get this back on track. Lunardi still has Horns as a 5 seed playing South Dakota St. And then baring the unthinkable - UCLA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South Dakota State would be a terrible matchup. Couldn’t think of a worse matchup actually. They get out and run and shoot the 3 extremely well. Only 4 games this year where they scored under 80 points.

Edited by Hookem2147