Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

South Dakota State would be a terrible matchup. Couldn’t think of a worse matchup actually. They get out and run and shoot the 3 extremely well. Only 4 games this year where they scored under 80 points.

I’d put money on SDSU beating Texas. I think any matchup will be awful for this team but SDSU would be a nightmare. Watch thrm somehow put Texas up against red-hot aggy. 

56 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I’d put money on SDSU beating Texas. I think any matchup will be awful for this team but SDSU would be a nightmare. Watch thrm somehow put Texas up against red-hot aggy. 

NCAA would do everything in their power to give us aggy or marquette in first round.  don't think they could set up a potential second round match up

I don’t feel great about the Horns going into the tourney.

This team has an average point guard, no go to scorers, and lacks inside size and strength.

And growing up playing several different sports, the one thing I always noticed is that certain players were always clutch down the stretch and other players weren’t. I wouldn’t say they were born with it, but they definitely developed a killer mindset for clutch time. 

Someone here has to keep the faith!
I feel a 2-3 game win streak coming. Karma and bad luck will break our way

Deflating losses to TCU, rape-lor and KU are in the rear view. Coach Beard will have the teams full attention come this time next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I wouldn’t. They can shoot and run up and down the court but do you really think they will have those chances against a team that slows the pace like we do? They wont be able to rebound against us despite our rebounding issues (they don’t have anyone taller than 6’8”) which makes playing transition offense much more difficult. We also defend the 3 really well. Could they beat us? Sure but they really don’t match up very well.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/11/2022 at 1:09 PM, MotownHorn said:

I just watched Mike Woodson's postgame interview after IUs win over Illinois.

He said "we've lost a lot of close games this year and that's on me. I take responsibility for that."  He didn't say they lost close games this year because his players aren't true competitors like he is.

Woodson doesn't have anywhere close to the skins on the wall Beard does. He's been a failure everywhere he's coached.

Anybody dared to watch 2nd half of Friday's game vs tcu??  

Just curious what the breakdown was for the offensive struggles that Texas had in that game.  Trying to figure out what Beard will do to help the guys.

Obviously, finishing games will be part of this weeks practices...

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Some of you guys acting like Texas is a team of vets with great NCAA success. Outside of the hippy, pretty sure there isn't a player on this roster that has won a NCAA tournament game.

HtownHorn being pretty sure about something is about as reliable as DetroitHorn saying it’ll be his last post in an argument. 

Christian Bishop was in the Sweet Sixteen last year. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Anybody dared to watch 2nd half of Friday's game vs tcu??  

Just curious what the breakdown was for the offensive struggles that Texas had in that game.  Trying to figure out what Beard will do to help the guys.

Obviously, finishing games will be part of this weeks practices...

Don't let Carr play the point and your offense improves by at least 10%. Perhaps Coach is being stubborn with Carr in trying to teach him to be a better ball handler, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Beard should accept him for who he is and design an offense around his limitations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Don't let Carr play the point and your offense improves by at least 10%. Perhaps Coach is being stubborn with Carr in trying to teach him to be a better ball handler, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Beard should accept him for who he is and design an offense around his limitations. 

The problem is Askew isn't ready to play 30 minutes, while Ramey, Jones, and Febres should never be tasked with running the offense.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

HtownHorn being pretty sure about something is about as reliable as DetroitHorn saying it’ll be his last post in an argument. 

Christian Bishop was in the Sweet Sixteen last year. 

Bishop went for 15 pts, 11 reb, and 2 blocks on 6-8 shooting in his first tourney game last year. then in the next round he went for 12 points and 15 rebounds on 6-7 shooting. he then went for 12-9-3 in their S16 loss to Gonzaga. his tourney double doubles were the no.1 thing that people mentioned when we signed him. 

Edited by shadow_operative

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure why Texas would move to a #6 seed.  I'm expecting Horns to hang on to a #5 seed out of respect for B12 Conference as best.  

We blew it against TCU. We had our shot to nail down a 5 and choked it away. Now it’s out of our hands 

• Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

No way we retain a 5 seed. A 7 is more likely than a 5. 

We were the first 5 seed going into Thursday, so roughly #17. I doubt we fell all way to a 7 (#25-28) after losing to TCU. We are likely in the 20-22 range. So the last 5 or one of the first 6s. We are still #18 NET (I know NET isn’t the end all, be all of the committee). 

A 6 seems likely. 5 if the NCAA really adheres to NET rankings and wants to set up an aggy 5-12 matchup. 7 if they just fucking hate us (our 5-10 Q1 record is pretty meh)

Edited by Js1

If I had to predict - 

aggy win today - Texas 5, aggy 12 (likely a first four game) 

aggy loss today - a potential 6/11 or 7/10 Texas-Marquette first round game

The NCAA loves a good story. Both games would get eyeballs 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If I had to predict - 

Where would Texas have to play Marquette...  Milwaukee would really SUCK !!

Nothing about the way the season has panned out supports a 5 seed. This has been a disappointing season thus far. We need much more talent. I trust Beard to get it done but I’m non-plussed thus far. 

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

If I had to predict - 

It’s the NCAA tourney, all the games get eyeballs

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Nothing about the way the season has panned out supports a 5 seed. This has been a disappointing season thus far. We need much more talent. I trust Beard to get it done but I’m non-plussed thus far. 

I mean there’s plenty that supports a 5 seed, wins against Q1 and Q2, top 20 in Kenpom, winning record in the best conference. We prolly end up six because of the TCU debacle but 5 seed isn’t out of the question and wouldn’t be unreasonable 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

beard inherited a team that would have finished dead last in the conference. Recruiting was already over so he hit the transfer portal. He had them solidly in the top 25 all year. He has 2 top 20 recruits coming in next year and another in the top 50, plus whatever he brings from the portal. In short, you don’t know what you are talking about.

I know exactly what I’m talking about. We have little talent. Nowhere did I say there wasn’t a valid reason for it. Or that Beard can’t do it. In fact I stated the opposite. This has been a disappointing season thus far. We are not a 5 seed. 

58 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I mean there’s plenty that supports a 5 seed, wins against Q1 and Q2, top 20 in Kenpom, winning record in the best conference. We prolly end up six because of the TCU debacle but 5 seed isn’t out of the question and wouldn’t be unreasonable 

It’d signal the disparity amongst top seeds and suggest there is little chance anyone outside of a 1, 2 or 3 seed making the FF. This isn’t a 5 seed.