2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

I'm the biggest Astros homer on this planet but we cheated during the postseason in 2017. This is coming from someone who was literally in the dugout. For example, Game 5 against Kershaw, we swung and missed ONE time. Seriously, go look at the tape. 

wrong, they swung and missed four times in that game vs Kershaw. and it proves nothing. it's hilarious to me how Clayton Kershaw had a major choker label going into that postseason and had a history of coming up small in big games, but because of the sign stealing in 2017, everyone has seemingly erased that from their memories.

Good read on that ballyhooed stat talking point and how misleading it is.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28830287/what-rewatching-two-key-astros-2017-world-series-games-tells-us

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

“I’ve been waiting a long time for this,” said Prado, 49, a Caltrans worker from Pomona who pounded his hand on his heart while fighting back tears. “I was here at Game 7. ... I saw grown men cry. … They took this from us.”

You mean Game 7 on the road, without the sign "stealing" system, when we put up a 5-spot in the first two innings to clinch the World Series?

You're damned right we took it from you.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Cliff's notes of his Astros argument? Or is it pretty much covered by "they weren't the only ones you dumbasses"?

That was about it.  Oh and he also said that he believes Altuve when he says he didn't want to know what was coming.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

I'm the biggest Astros homer on this planet but we cheated during the postseason in 2017. This is coming from someone who was literally in the dugout. For example, Game 5 against Kershaw, we swung and missed ONE time. Seriously, go look at the tape. 

if you heard it from someone "literally in the dugout" then why would you back it up with situational stats like "swings and misses vs one pitcher in one outing"?

i believe 100% that we were very good (still are) at stealing signs and picking up on pitch-tipping, which is something every other team also tries and also does.  if someone is tipping their pitches, our guys are onto that shit in the first inning.  you ever seen altuve get on and score?  you see the first thing he does?  he goes to the guy about to hit and they have a mini briefing about what he saw.

shit's been going on for a while and every other team either does the exact same thing or tries to.  also none of that shit is illegal.  if we weren't so lazy and sloppy with it then none of this is even a conversation.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

OK so lets just say they were cheating.....seemed to help them tremendously in Game 4 when we were no hit the first 5 innings....then a solo homer by George....then no hit until the 9th with 1 out left in the game when we got another solo homer by Bregman 

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if you heard it from someone "literally in the dugout" then why would you back it up with situational stats like "swings and misses vs one pitcher in one outing"?

i believe 100% that we were very good (still are) at stealing signs and picking up on pitch-tipping, which is something every other team also tries and also does.  if someone is tipping their pitches, our guys are onto that shit in the first inning.  you ever seen altuve get on and score?  you see the first thing he does?  he goes to the guy about to hit and they have a mini briefing about what he saw.

shit's been going on for a while and every other team either does the exact same thing or tries to.  also none of that shit is illegal.  if we weren't so lazy and sloppy with it then none of this is even a conversation.

a) Team successfully steals other team's signs.  These signs are relayed to the batter by a player standing on second base.

b) Team successfully steals other team's signs.  These signs are relayed to the batter by a player banging on a trash can.

It will forever baffle me that a) is a universally accepted practice in the sport and b) is the BIGGEST SCANDAL IN BASEBALL HISTORY. 

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

a) Team successfully steals other team's signs.  These signs are relayed to the batter by a player standing on second base.

b) Team successfully steals other team's signs.  These signs are relayed to the batter by a player banging on a trash can.

It will forever baffle me that a) is a universally accepted practice in the sport and b) is the BIGGEST SCANDAL IN BASEBALL HISTORY. 

morons + semi-interesting sports story about really good baseball team they already don't like x social media = zomg altuve had a buzzers it's so obvious!

fuck em all.

• Like 2

The reason a tell all book hasn't been written is that all of the current players, at the end of the day, do care about other players well being and safety and there is a mutual respect across the league. When this generation of players retire multiple books will be released covering every little detail of the "sign stealing era" like how Altuve used "the system" in Game 1 of the 2017 ALDS. 

3 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

The reason a tell all book hasn't been written is that all of the current players, at the end of the day, do care about other players well being and safety and there is a mutual respect across the league. When this generation of players retire multiple books will be released covering every little detail of the "sign stealing era" like how Altuve used "the system" in Game 1 of the 2017 ALDS. 

yawn.

the information is out there.  cameras and ipads catch and show everything.  every team has the same access.  maybe they should get more runners on 2nd.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can just hear Altuve, a known bad-pitch hitter, chewing someone's ass after one of his 'tomahawk of a hanging curve into the Crawford boxes'.  "Hey motherfuckers, who's the dumbass who said it was going to be a heater?

There's no way he wanted to know what was coming.  His style has always been that he doesn't really give a rip where the pitch is.

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I saw last night too that LA fans put Astros baseball cards in all the urinals in the stadium.  One I saw was a Jose Cruz card where they marked out his eyes and name and wrote Yuli Gurriel lol.......so mad 

Look, fuck Dodger fans but I have to admit that the baseball cards in the urinals is a pretty good bit.

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Just an observation, but Max Muncy looks like he should be doing oil changes at the Waskom Jiffy Lube. 

That's baseball in general.  If you saw Jose Altuve in street clothes, you damned sure wouldn't think he's one of the best baseball players on the planet, at least I wouldn't.

The nearest Jiffy Lube to Waskom, TX is in Natchitoches, LA.

5 hours ago, Gourmand said:

wrong, they swung and missed four times in that game vs Kershaw. and it proves nothing. it's hilarious to me how Clayton Kershaw had a major choker label going into that postseason and had a history of coming up small in big games, but because of the sign stealing in 2017, everyone has seemingly erased that from their memories.

Good read on that ballyhooed stat talking point and how misleading it is.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28830287/what-rewatching-two-key-astros-2017-world-series-games-tells-us

@Ichabod here's one of those vaunted Kershaw breaking pitches (slider) from that game that wasn't swung on and missed. Kershaw's pitches weren't breaking in the zone.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

That's baseball in general.  If you saw Jose Altuve in street clothes, you damned sure wouldn't think he's one of the best baseball players on the planet, at least I wouldn't.

The nearest Jiffy Lube to Waskom, TX is in Natchitoches, LA.

Well maybe he would be doing oil changes at Skeeter’s garage or wherever east TX rednecks in the general vicinity of Waskom go for oil changes.  It was a metaphor, doofus.