2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I'm starting to think it's time for them to give CJ Hinojosa a chance until Bregman returns.

Well if the Robel Fan Club President is finally on board then let's do it

(just giving you shit lol don't get all Joe Kelly on me)

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Yes.  The competition level will drop off in August.  Time to figure out who should really be on this team.

Bring up more guys, try them out, go from there.

Yeah, bring in the noobs while the Astros face their kryptonite schedule. I don’t disagree with you, I’m just laughing at the notion  of weaker teams being layups for our heroes.

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

He shouldn’t start over chas 

He needs to get some work and some at-bats where he's not the last  out in the ballgame against a good team with opposing fans on their feet. It's not so much a question of starting him over Chas McCormick in general but giving one of the outfielders a day off today and starting Meyers at home after a long flight back to Houston. 

Shit, they didn't even arrive until 6am this morning. I won't be surprised to see Brantley out of the lineup and and outfield of McCormick/Meyers/Tucker.

18 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

He needs to get some work and some at-bats where he's not the last  out in the ballgame against a good team with opposing fans on their feet. It's not so much a question of starting him over Chas McCormick in general but giving one of the outfielders a day off today and starting Meyers at home after a long flight back to Houston. 

Shit, they didn't even arrive until 6am this morning. I won't be surprised to see Brantley out of the lineup and and outfield of McCormick/Meyers/Tucker.

Well they do have today off, so everyone should have plenty of rest. Now that there is the DH again, I think Meyers will get a couple of starts on this home stand. Of course, Dusty is still pissed that Cleveland gets to lead off Straw, like he wanted to do the entire time.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Well they do have today off, so everyone should have plenty of rest. Now that there is the DH again, I think Meyers will get a couple of starts on this home stand. Of course, Dusty is still pissed that Cleveland gets to lead off Straw, like he wanted to do the entire time.

No, they play tonight.

39 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

we are in a World Series run, not in rebuild mode. He can bat everyday in AAA. We need production 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

we are good in a World Series run, not in rebuild mode. He can bat everyday in AAA

Then why is he on the roster?

Obviously the team is built for a World Series run but in order to succeed in the postseason you need to get your role players regular season at bats. That's the basis for my defense of Robel Garcia previously (good glove, decent pop in his bat, needs more ML experience...) I'm not making the case for Jake Meyers to be an every day outfielder right now, but tonight is a great spot start against the Twins after a long trip back home where he can step into the box under better circumstances.

18 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
33 minutes ago, BornOrange said:
RIP JR, perhaps my favorite Astro ever.
His stroke in 1980 is one of the lowest points in Houston sports history.

Yes that was shocking news when it happened and it certainly felt like a death blow to their 1980 season.

With JR they are in the World Series in 1980 and possibly 1981 as well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The only way that trade really makes sense to me is if something else fell apart that was bringing another center fielder here and they were ok with the gamble because they weren't losing much in Straw.

i'm sure some stories will come out in the offseason.  buxton isn't even swinging a bat right now, so those rumors never really made sense to me.  injuries and covid really muddled this whole situation.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

The only way that trade really makes sense to me is if something else fell apart that was bringing another center fielder here and they were ok with the gamble because they weren't losing much in Straw.

fifm