2021 - Is inflation finally back in the conversation?

Reagan1k

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m embarrassed for the guys that look like me and represent my party. They have a tendency to lecture and they have no idea what they’re talking about. I’m embarrassed for people from the other side of the aisle because they’re stupid too. Like Idiocracy stupid. 

Hey they just want to know how Powell is going to help get costs down. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

20 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Hey they just want to know how Powell is going to help get costs down. 

They sure have a fucktard way of asking that question. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Where at? I drove by the gas station on my street this morning and it was 3.69 for the "cheap" stuff.  it was 3.39 yesterday.  

I paid $3.29 in Austin yesterday, same station was $3.49 today.  Putin is fucking with our gas prices, which were obviously already at recent highs.

45 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Since we like discussing food prices here. 

Those prices are actually still ingrained in my head. 

Big Mac combo should be 2.99, cheeseburger .39 on wednesday, and whoppers are perpetually under a buck

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Those prices are actually still ingrained in my head. 

Big Mac combo should be 2.99, cheeseburger .39 on wednesday, and whoppers are perpetually under a buck

I was in college in ‘99. I remember when money was tight that a cheap snack for me was a large fries from McDonalds. With tax it was $1.50. Nice round number. Will have to see what it is now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

I was in college in ‘99. I remember when money was tight that a cheap snack for me was a large fries from McDonalds. With tax it was $1.50. Nice round number. Will have to see what it is now. 

Another college - taco bell related memory: moved into dorm room. Yanked out the desk drawer to put my stuff in it. 

sandwiched between the back of the desk and behind the drawer was a receipt from taco bell. It had the name of the customer and a full credit card number and expiration printed on it!!! (Amazing security oversight because i worked food retail a few years prior, and even then they only printed trailing digits)

looked up the name on UT Directory and sure enough she was still a student. Could have gotten her current address and any other info i would have needed to abuse the CC. 

fun times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Will interest rates on things like traditional savings accounts and CDs ever be enough again to actually matter? Or would that only happen in a hellworld of hyperinflation anyway, negating any benefit to the consumer? I'm old enough to remember when my parents were raking it in (seemingly) on CDs and such in the 80s.

1 hour ago, Paper_jam said:

Will interest rates on things like traditional savings accounts and CDs ever be enough again to actually matter? Or would that only happen in a hellworld of hyperinflation anyway, negating any benefit to the consumer? I'm old enough to remember when my parents were raking it in (seemingly) on CDs and such in the 80s.

To me this is good evidence that inflation is temporary and still almost entirely supply chain related.  If it were traditional inflation (an outcome of an oversupply of currency), we’d see more movement in both savings interest rates and exchange rates.  Although I do also think more and more that inflation is also reflecting corporate opportunism, not just supply chain issues.

Edited by Snake Diggity

1 hour ago, Paper_jam said:

Yes, when the fed finally raise rates again, CDs and HY savings and such will all move up  in tandem.

Their funding rate is the basis for all credits markets.  If its cheaper to borrow from the fed, banks dont need to atract cash from you (through CDs).  If it's expensive to borrow from the fed, they'll want to attract money from you.

image.thumb.png.508137fcc6c25d71c6dd90101523b3d6.png

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

To me this is good evidence that inflation is temporary and still almost entirely supply chain related.  If it were traditional inflation (an outcome of an oversupply of currency), we’d see more movement in both savings interest rates and exchange rates.  Although I do also think more and more that inflation is also reflecting corporate opportunism, not just supply chain issues.

It aint just finished products thats gone up in price...agricultural goods are through the roof

On 3/6/2022 at 12:22 PM, Immaculate Vibes said:

If this website is to be believed, its probably cheaper than you would expect based on general inflation over the last 22 years

image.thumb.png.27907fd379a01f0fd55e71d173d1e73d.png