DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

And just curious, what regimes did we change in Central America in the 1970-s and 1980's that were in our favor? I would say maybe the election of Arena in 1988, El Salvador, who then went on to sign peace accords, AND lost the next election tot he FMLN.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_involvement_in_regime_change

Most of them weren't to our favor because of the aforementioned destabilization, and the soviet's were also playing regime change game too, but bruh. We did some damage, and own some of the mess. 

Um, you said 1970's and 1980's in CENTRAL AMERICA. We are not getting floods of Bolivians or Chileans. There is one regime changing in that region during that period and that is Nicaragua. Most people on your list from Latin America are dead Sir.

Well maybe Haiti, but no one gives a fuck about them in this hemisphere.

So your point is to say the US was bad in 1911, therefore.... Well shit, we had a Diplomat in Sarajevo AND in Vienna, guess we are responsible for WW1.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

its always an issue, thatll never go away

its a ‘crisis’ because the election is around the corner 

I grew up by the border. Maybe it was happening, but there wasn’t news coverage of thousands of Haitians or Venezuelans under the Del Rio bridge when I was little? Extremely doubtful. This is different. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

I grew up by the border. Maybe it was happening, but there wasn’t news coverage of thousands of Haitians or Venezuelans under the Del Rio bridge when I was little? Extremely doubtful. This is different. 

A guy that worked for me has a ranch in the border. Has been in the family for generations. Says his land has turned into a highway. It’s bad. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

One rule during the 1980's was for every Central or South American who made it one Mexican did not cross over. So they were a lot more involved in protecting their border and the routes.

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

One rule during the 1980's was for every Central or South American who made it one Mexican did not cross over. So they were a lot more involved in protecting their border and the routes.

Cartels now make a lot of money bringing those people through. That will be tough to stop, but doing nothing and screaming “racism” at people becomes less viable as time passes. 

7 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Listen to these fuckin' commies.  Really OPEN BORDERS?  

Now can we do Clinton in 1996? 3 and 10 bars baby.

This is not a political issue for me. It is a right issue. But I look south and see and hear about the issues. During Covid was the last time I was in Central America. And it was not some bed and roses resort in Costa Rica. My friends, the kids I grew up with have family illegal here. They were at my wedding. This was an objective approach and I wish both parties would agree this makes fucking sense. For our business and for their societies.

And yeah, maybe I am a bit passionate about this subject and this area, but there is a reason. And Fuck Newt and Pat Robertson.

• Hook 'Em 2

It shouldn't be a political issue.  However, the Right made it so a long time ago.  As it continues today, it began with dehumanization.  

Clinton's bullshit pales in comparison, and it was not D led.  

I think you and I are in somewhat agreement.  

You pierce a hole in the MAGAs who cry, "Democrats want open borders!".

• Hook 'Em 1

Fuck MAGA. I am about Human Rights. But I also do not believe in open borders. I believe in controlled borders. I for sure do not believe in closed borders.

And did they? Reagan had a good idea. We made this argument about politics and not rights. I am against that. Fuck the left and the right on this issue.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

There's also an interesting dynamic I've read where since the republicans are out there saying how it's an open border, it's encouraging more people to make the desperate journey. If the gop weren't broadcasting that 24/7 for more than a generation it would very likely reduce the sheer volume of people coming. 

It's advertising so they can have a boogeyman they can hate

you're a coyote in mexico looking for business, you show people video of ted cruz and greg abbott saying the border is open and no shit they'll believe it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

But I also do not believe in open borders.

the border is a human make believe that exists to control people, capital, and goods.  it's pretty damn wide open for the latter two of those three things, at least as far as mexico goes.  much more so than for people.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the border is a human make believe that exists to control people, capital, and goods.  it's pretty damn wide open for the latter two of those three things, at least as far as mexico goes.  much more so than for people.

A border if a politically defined entity, usually not correct. Treaty of Berlin outside should have told you.

39 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I am about Human Rights. But I also do not believe in open borders. I believe in controlled borders. I for sure do not believe in closed borders.

I would bet that 95% of people on this board agree with this.  And a good amount of average Americans.  But when you poll them with charged language and manipulative methods that shit changes quick.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

A border if a politically defined entity, usually not correct. Treaty of Berlin outside should have told you.

not sure what a soviet-german nonagression pact has to do with NAFTA and the near complete lack of capital controls in the US. 

Edited by elfenix

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

not sure what a soviet-german nonagression pact has to do with NAFTA and the near complete lack of capital controls in the US. 

Treaty of Berlin was not about NAFTA. But good try.

And man, read some books please 

Edited by InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Treaty of Berlin was not about NAFTA. But good try.

And man, read some books please 

NAFTA is about the flow of goods across the US-Mexico border.  you know, that third thing in my post about the border with mexico that you quoted.

you're going full anastasis right now.

Edited by elfenix

Read this sir. And I live in a railroad town with quite a few Latinos. Queres hablar? Falamos?

Here is a reference for you. It impacted trade, the lives of millions, before WW1 and until today.

https://www.oxfordreference.com/display/10.1093/acref/9780195337709.001.0001/acref-9780195337709-e-0467

And NAFTA is about making companies richer. Has nothing to do with Human rights.

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Read this sir. And I live in a railroad town with quite a few Latinos. Queres hablar? Falamos?

Here is a reference for you. It impacted trade, the lives of millions, before WW1 and until today.

https://www.oxfordreference.com/display/10.1093/acref/9780195337709.001.0001/acref-9780195337709-e-0467

And NAFTA is about making companies richer. Has nothing to do with Human rights.

hey, a bunch of humans drawing lines on maps to control people (and capital, and goods).  and no shit nafta is about making companies richer.  that's why the border with mexico is pretty wide open as far as goods and capital go.

you're just reinforcing what i've written. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That is not about the humans man. Not at all. And no, it fucking wrecks societies, and for that matter, environmental controls.

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

hey, a bunch of humans drawing lines on maps to control people (and capital, and goods).  and no shit nafta is about making companies richer.  that's why the border with mexico is pretty wide open as far as goods and capital go.

you're just reinforcing what i've written. 

You get a plus because you want the discussion.

Back your shit up  This two sides argument does not help anything. I asked fucking question. No one answered. So out.
i made an observation and you decided to go condescending know-it-all.

a friendly reminder: not every reply is a retort. 

Edited by elfenix

Imagine Texas ruled by MAGA-GQP for decades longer or perhaps the rest of the century. The border issues will include stopping "illegal" immigration, but also stopping the other "Threats to Texas" seeking to exit the Lone Star State.

Even it is just barricades and razor wire along the borders, the wall is sold to Texans for keeping immigrants out, but also conveniently used to keep people in

The wall will be branded something like the "Lone Star Wall" or "Davy Crockett Alamo Wall" and will also include the New Mexico border and perhaps the other states. Depends on the exit routes. Police, vigilantes, and social media posses will be approved to hunt them down. First targets will be:

-- Pregnant women seeking an abortion (and those who help them). 

-- Doctors charged with bogus crimes for treating/aiding women during pregnancy.

-- "Illegal" immigrants seeking to avoid 10-year jail terms for merely being in Texas, 20 years if they held a job a Texan could have had. Anyone helping immigrants.

The list of "Threats to Texas" will grow to include the following people on the run:

-- Librarians with banned/unapproved books hidden in their homes or public storage units.

-- LGBTQIA people and those who help them. 

-- Educators teaching evolution in secret meetings in backrooms of homes, libraries, bars, indie coffeehouses.

-- Any educator not teaching the GQP-MAGA-Christian approved history of Texas and the world.

-- Scientists not teaching the 6000-year old universe in their courses.

-- Flag burners who torch the Texas flag as form of protest (and you know it is coming very soon!).

-- Environmentalists protesting widespread eco-destruction approved under Christian Dominion ideology. 

-- Religious believers who have not shown sufficient allegiance to the approved Christian theology, White Christian rule, etc.

-- Atheists 

-- And who knows what other targets for Texas thoughtcrimes will be created in this glorious future.

Long Live the Lone Star State! 

Edited by BevoAbyss

12 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Part of the perception problem is that inaction is seen as beneficial to the Democratic Party from a purely political standpoint. These will eventually be overwhelmingly D voters. Everyone knows that.

The cynic in me says that’s why nothing is done by Dems in Congress. Easier to scream racism and let everybody in. Bolster numbers. Unfortunately there are actual consequences to large amounts of illegal immigration on legal citizens and government services. Not to mention finances.

Republicans do nothing because it’s a hard problem to fix and it’s good for riling up their base. The problem might be reaching level though that something has to be done. And you don’t ever want situations to ever where government has to “do something!”

Nice. Casually dropping the great replacement theory into the thread. And in the same breath, complain about Dems crying "racism"

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Part of the perception problem is that inaction is seen as beneficial to the Democratic Party from a purely political standpoint. These will eventually be overwhelmingly D voters. Everyone knows that.

The cynic in me says that’s why nothing is done by Dems in Congress. Easier to scream racism and let everybody in. Bolster numbers. Unfortunately there are actual consequences to large amounts of illegal immigration on legal citizens and government services. Not to mention finances.

Republicans do nothing because it’s a hard problem to fix and it’s good for riling up their base. The problem might be reaching level though that something has to be done. And you don’t ever want situations to ever where government has to “do something!”

Fuck you and your fascist bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

This is breathtakingly erroneous and chalk full of horseshit. I realize it's often repeated as truth, but that doesn't make it true.

The GOP has moved from wanting guest workers programs and amnesty to not wanting Any immigration and deporting everyone.

How can Dems "work" with that position?

Immigrants are not a monolithic voting block. See South Texas or Florida.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Unsurprising that fattyflatty loves great replacement theory once you dress it up a little

Well fatty was one of the posters who liked the post in which babayaga posted a link to a neo-Nazi website, so I don’t think he needs his fascism dressed up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

47,000 illegal crossings in the last four days. A record. But sure, let’s just continue in this thread with each political party supporter flinging poo at each other. 

Let's say Biden sends a comprehensive immigration bill to Congress in January which includes border security, guest workers, etc. What do you think happens next?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

47,000 illegal crossings in the last four days. A record. But sure, let’s just continue in this thread with each political party supporter flinging poo at each other. 

How did they catch all of those illegal crossers with the current open borders that we have?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VRHorn said:

Let's say Biden sends a comprehensive immigration bill to Congress in January which includes border security, guest workers, etc. What do you think happens next?

They'd kill it like they did in 2013, the last time a major immigration reform bill was brought to the House.

23 hours ago, tchookem said:
On 12/21/2023 at 9:59 PM, SaucyJack said:
These libtards must be crazy.  Texas Association of Business.

https://www.txbiz.org/post/immigration-reform-is-good-for-business

Maybe if the Tea Party Republicans hadn't killed immigration reforms proposed by... (checks notes)... Republicans... during W's administration things might be better?

Can you imagine the thought of registering all of the immigrants here, getting them not only documented but matched up with employers, putting in conditions about their paying taxes, healthcare, etc., and controlling how long they were allowed to be here?  What were those libtard Republicans thinking back in 2006 and 2007?  How dare they try to get a handle on exactly who was here illegally!