DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/18/oklahoma-bill-labels-hispanic-people-terrorists

An Oklahoma lawmaker is facing backlash for proposing a discriminatory bill that deems people of Hispanic descent as “terrorists”.

The Republican state representative JJ Humphrey introduced the bill, HB 3133, which seeks to combat problems in the state, such as drug and human trafficking, and lay out punishments to those who have committed these “acts of terrorism”.

The punishment for such a crime would be forfeiting all assets, including any and all property, vehicles and money.

In addition to “a member of a criminal street gang” and someone who “has been convicted of a gang-related offense”, the bill defines a terrorist as “any person who is of Hispanic descent living within the state of Oklahoma”.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7f802fc02328d640ddf842dc8a687d51.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

giphy.gif

I mean....the party has been pretty open about it at the very least since Trump first ran for office.  Anyone surprised by this should do the world a favor and drink hemlock, because they're too stupid to continue walking among us.

• Hook 'Em 2

Generally speaking of Immigration and Psychology/Sociology/Urban Legends:

No one’s family name was changed at Ellis Island. The popular belief that immigrants’ names were altered, shortened, or misheard by bungling authorities at Ellis Island is a complete myth, according to a thorough debunking by professors Rosemary Meszaros and Katherine Pennavaria: https://journals.ala.org/index.php/dttp/article/view/6655/8939

In fact, no names were written down at Ellis Island—the people coming to the US were required to provide their contact information when buying the tickets for the journey, so their names were already recorded in the ship’s manifest. Families might have changed their names after settling in the new country.

You can blame a scene in The Godfather II for popularizing the urban legend.

3 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

No one’s family name was changed at Ellis Island. The popular belief that immigrants’ names were altered, shortened, or misheard by bungling authorities at Ellis Island is a complete myth, according to a thorough debunking by professors Rosemary Meszaros and Katherine Pennavaria: https://journals.ala.org/index.php/dttp/article/view/6655/8939

In fact, no names were written down at Ellis Island—the people coming to the US were required to provide their contact information when buying the tickets for the journey, so their names were already recorded in the ship’s manifest. Families might have changed their names after settling in the new country.

I can give you an example of that happening (American gov't entity changing a damned furriner sounding name to a more acceptable version) that isn't an urban legend, because it happened to me (I shared this on another thread recently as well).

My full name is in spanish - all three names (first, middle, last).  So, my middle name is something like "Jorge."  That's my middle name.  It's the one on my birth certificate, passport....everything.  Well, a few years ago when renewing my driver's license, the fine folks at DPS just had enough of all that messican shit, and decided to gringo-fy it, so now my middle name on my driver's license is "George."  Which is not my fucking name.  So, last time it was up for renewal, I brought all my paperwork in, and said "while you are renewing it, can you fix my name?  You changed it to something that isn't my name last time, and you need to change it back."  What did I get?  "Sorry, we can't do that.  That's your name in our system.  If you want us to change it, you're going to have to go to court to get a legal name change."

What fucking legal name change?  My fucking name already IS my fucking name.  EVERY FUCKING RECORD but DPS has it correctly.  So what would the order say?  "I hereby order that your name IS STILL JORGE?"  Fuck DPS.  Fuck this state.  And fuck any of you who think that the system doesn't have 10,000 bits of racism written into its fucking source code.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I can give you an example of that happening (American gov't entity changing a damned furriner sounding name to a more acceptable version) that isn't an urban legend, because it happened to me (I shared this on another thread recently as well).

My full name is in spanish - all three names (first, middle, last).  So, my middle name is something like "Jorge."  That's my middle name.  It's the one on my birth certificate, passport....everything.  Well, a few years ago when renewing my driver's license, the fine folks at DPS just had enough of all that messican shit, and decided to gringo-fy it, so now my middle name on my driver's license is "George."  Which is not my fucking name.  So, last time it was up for renewal, I brought all my paperwork in, and said "while you are renewing it, can you fix my name?  You changed it to something that isn't my name last time, and you need to change it back."  What did I get?  "Sorry, we can't do that.  That's your name in our system.  If you want us to change it, you're going to have to go to court to get a legal name change."

What fucking legal name change?  My fucking name already IS my fucking name.  EVERY FUCKING RECORD but DPS has it correctly.  So what would the order say?  "I hereby order that your name IS STILL JORGE?"  Fuck DPS.  Fuck this state.  And fuck any of you who think that the system doesn't have 10,000 bits of racism written into its fucking source code.

cool starry bra, but I was speaking to the general idea that you saw in Godfather and The Titanic movies that people thought there was a systemic approach to changing names (voluntarily or involuntarily) for immigration and assimilation purposes as you enter the US through Ellis Island and "got processed".

It's wild to me how the brain and memories work in a Mandela effect sort of way. It's also kind of scary.

Edited by BeardIP

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If your DL doesn't match your SS card or passport, doesn't that create problems?

Just now, BeardIP said:

cool starry bra, but I was speaking to the general idea that you saw in Godfather and The Titanic movies that people thought there was a systemic approach to changing names (voluntarily or involuntarily) for immigration and assimilation purposes as you enter the US through Ellis Island and "got processed".

It's wild to me how the brain and memories work in a Mandela effect sort of way. It's also kind of scary.

Understood.  It likely wasn't systematic.  Instead, it was likely like my experience - death by a thousand cuts.  Maybe you went to register at a housing office, and they changed "Jorge" to "George" there. Maybe it was when you were signing up for a gov't ID.  Maybe it was when you got a job at Generic American Enterprises, and HR didn't want to fuck with no funny-sounding names, so you're George now.  That's the actual fucking point and definition of "systematic racism."  Most of the time, it isn't some grand plan driven by Congressional edict and 500 pages of regulations laying out exactly how to be racist.  It's just an inherent part of our systems, and when traveling through them, the wheels just fall right into those existing ruts.

Thus, why Texas DPS gringo-fied my name from Jorge to George.  They weren't following some set of regulations or some shit.  The wheels just fell in the ruts.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If your DL doesn't match your SS card or passport, doesn't that create problems?

It eventually might, which is why my wife is on my ass to get it fixed.  But I'm less than pumped about spending a $350 filing fee and taking time out of my day to.....CAHNGE MY NAME TO WHAT IT ALREADY IS.

Dems need to be yelling on top of every mountain that any immigration reform is being rejected by the GOP. Honesty, the House Dems should give Johnson EVERYTHING he wants just to make him oppose Trump since Trump wants zero reform this year.

Note: The Senate or Biden should ultimately adjust the bill if Johnson agrees but he won't.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Happens to us Italians as well...or at least used to happen.  When Italians started coming through Ellis Island en masse you started to see a lot of names like Jimmy, Johnny, and Joey, but the letter J doesn't exist in the Italian alphabet.  Originally they were Giacomo, Gianni, and Giuseppe (Gio).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

Negged for abject stupidity. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Happens to us Italians as well...or at least used to happen.  When Italians started coming through Ellis Island en masse you started to see a lot of names like Jimmy, Johnny, and Joey, but the letter J doesn't exist in the Italian alphabet.  Originally they were Giacomo, Gianni, and Giuseppe (Gio).

Yep, wife's last name is Italian and it got changed somewhere between the old country and Texas.

13 hours ago, SamsCorner said:

JJ Humphrey is the dumbest guy at the capitol, and there are a lot of dumb guys up there.  He purposed a bill to allow hunting license sold for bigfoot.

Lol, if your gonna make a post about how dumb somebody is, you should probably proof read it first...not that your point doesn't stand. 

Somehow, my ggggg grandfather came over in the 1820's with a very Danish  name that has survived all these years intact. The ship manifest from his arrival and his confirmation records from Copenhagen match how we spell it today. 

On the other hand, my first name came from my great grandmother's maiden name, my ancestor on that side came over during or before the Revolutionary War. He was French, and the spelling of his name is all over the place even in contemporary records. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Lol, if your gonna make a post about how dumb somebody is, you should probably proof read it first...not that your point doesn't stand. 

Somehow, my ggggg grandfather came over in the 1820's with a very Danish  name that has survived all these years intact. The ship manifest from his arrival and his confirmation records from Copenhagen match how we spell it today. 

On the other hand, my first name came from my great grandmother's maiden name, my ancestor on that side came over during or before the Revolutionary War. He was French, and the spelling of his name is all over the place even in contemporary records. 

Who proofreads stuff, nobody got time for that shit anyway. I never could spell no good anyhow. I read my numbers backwards too and my penmanship sucks.

16 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

*you're 😉 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Worst person you know just made a great point

What a RINO.

His base only supports a policy if it owns the libs.

The content of the policy isn't the point, dummy.

You deliver by making liberals lose, not by enacting or accomplishing anything... other than making the libs lose.

The border isn't a problem unless it's hurting Biden.

The minute it becomes a wining or neutral issue, is the minute it ceases to exist.

It's kind of cute to see him speak about issues as if they matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

What a RINO.

His base only supports a policy if it owns the libs.

The content of the policy isn't the point, dummy.

You deliver by making liberals lose, not by enacting or accomplishing anything... other than making the libs lose.

The border isn't a problem unless it's hurting Biden.

The minute it becomes a wining or neutral issue, is the minute it ceases to exist.

It's kind of cute to see him speak about issues as if they matter.

Are you the one who had the Lanai of Disillusionment or whatever?  Where you go to after the Ledge?

On 1/19/2024 at 9:41 AM, BeardIP said:

For some reason you left this passage out:

"names were not changed at Ellis Island; immigrants changed their own names, usually during the citizenship process. But the belief persists, perhaps because people need to explain surname changes in a way that satisfies them (thinking that their immigrant ancestors made the changes themselves apparently does not do so)"

The authors did not state their verification process for the bolded.

I'll let folks draw their own conclusions.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

For some reason you left this passage out:

"names were not changed at Ellis Island; immigrants changed their own names, usually during the citizenship process. But the belief persists, perhaps because people need to explain surname changes in a way that satisfies them (thinking that their immigrant ancestors made the changes themselves apparently does not do so)"

The authors did not state their verification process for the bolded.

I'll let folks draw their own conclusions.

I honestly don’t even know why he brought this up. 

• Hook 'Em 3

So harris county has over 200k people that are citizenship eligible, but $ and a complicated process are in the way. Harris county and CoH is there to help. And please go vote 

https://www.houstontx.gov/na/citizenship-resources.html#:~:text=Local Service Providers%3A&text=For more information call 346.867,Immigration Legal Service Collaborative (HILSC)

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Well this news certainly comes as a shock to me.

These people are getting dumber by the second. The more they pander to their uneducated moron base, the more they’re destroying their own brains 

These people are getting dumber by the second. The more they pander to their uneducated moron base, the more they’re destroying their own brains 

I wouldn’t necessarily say dumber. I suspect they were pretty dumb long before this particular version of dumb arrived on the scene.

Tl; dr - it’s hard to get dumber when you’re already very dumb.

16 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say dumber. I suspect they were pretty dumb long before this particular version of dumb arrived on the scene.

Tl; dr - it’s hard to get dumber when you’re already very dumb.

Maybe not Noem, as I doubt South Dakota State is a prestigious academic learning institution, but how many of them like Ted, Meatball, Cotton, etc. have been educated at the likes of Harvard and Yale?

They’re not idiots, they 100% know or knew these facts that they learned at their Ivy League schooling, but they’ve spend decades dumbing things down for a bunch to drooling morons to win votes and have now begun to fully believe the dumb shit they had to say. 

12 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Well this news certainly comes as a shock to me.

hahahaha, the eyebrow raise by the Fox News guy when she makes the statement about Texas and the 13 colonies is great

On 1/19/2024 at 9:52 AM, Brisketexan said:

Well at least when you complain, you do it in English. That's a step in the right direction.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1