Euro 2020/2021

shnsajax

I see how they're elevating 3rd place teams but how do they figure out which 3rd place goes to which knockout match?  Wehrmacht rules...or?  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I see how they're elevating 3rd place teams but how do they figure out which 3rd place goes to which knockout match?  Wehrmacht rules...or?  

It's predetermined based on which 4 3rd place teams advance, they have all 16 permutations figured out.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

a. higher number of points; b. superior goal difference; c. higher number of goals scored; d. higher number of wins; e. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points); f. position in the overall European Qualifiers rankings (see Article 23)

Right, I get that...but I see future fixtures with 1E v. 3A/B/C/D for example.  I get how 3 will be settled but how they determine which 3 goes to play which 1 or 2 squad?  

I like divisive rancor and seditionist bloodlust.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Right, I get that...but I see future fixtures with 1E v. 3A/B/C/D for example.  I get how 3 will be settled but how they determine which 3 goes to play which 1 or 2 squad?  

I like divisive rancor and seditionist bloodlust.  

There's a chart:

Third-placed teams
qualify from groups
  1B
vs
1C
vs
1E
vs
1F
vs
A B C D     3A 3D 3B 3C
A B C   E   3A 3E 3B 3C
A B C     F 3A 3F 3B 3C
A B   D E   3D 3E 3A 3B
A B   D   F 3D 3F 3A 3B
A B     E F 3E 3F 3B 3A
A   C D E   3E 3D 3C 3A
A   C D   F 3F 3D 3C 3A
A   C   E F 3E 3F 3C 3A
A     D E F 3E 3F 3D 3A
  B C D E   3E 3D 3B 3C
  B C D   F 3F 3D 3C 3B
  B C   E F 3F 3E 3C 3B
  B   D E F 3F 3E 3D 3B
    C D E F 3F 3E 3D 3C

So if the 3rd place teams from A-D-E-F go through, then they are matched as shown vs 1B-1C-1E-1F

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yes.

On the topic of 3rd place teams, we now know that Switzerland is through with Ukraine and Finland behind them and done with group play. I updated the chart w/ strikethrough font to shows the permutations that can't happen anymore.

For teams to guarantee a spot, beyond today you need:

3 points and at least an even GD or 4 points.

EDIT - But this just shows why letting 3rd place teams through sucks - you have all this extra work that makes you wondering WTF!?!?

Edited by Captain Ron

So interesting … because 4 points will get you through and there is no way for any group to now end in a 4 way tie at 4 points, England, the Czech Republic, France and Sweden are all through to the KO round already. Clearly (hopefully) for seeding they probably still want to go out and play well, but they don’t have that to worry about. 

Just now, Captain Ron said:

So interesting … because 4 points will get you through and there is no way for any group to now end in a 4 way tie at 4 points, England, the Czech Republic, France and Sweden are all through to the KO round already. Clearly (hopefully) for seeding they probably still want to go out and play well, but they don’t have that to worry about. 

Sweden does not suffer defeat. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sweden does not suffer defeat. 

Because it lets Nazis used their railway infrastructure to move weapons of death into position against Norway and Finland?  

Also, their woman are the most beautiful in Europe and that's saying something.  But they're fucking assholes.  

Just now, Lobo said:

Because it lets Nazis used their railway infrastructure to move weapons of death into position against Norway and Finland?  

I guess you've turned the Nazi stuff into a running gag. It explains your disdain for Russia, mein furher.

And you say they're assholes... maybe that's where I get it from.

I don't like Russia because tens of millions of Americans just plain forgot about them in the last 5 years.  

Only brought up the Sweden in WWII thing because you posted "They do not suffer defeat."  They don't lose because they don't take sides.  Just an attempt at history and football mixing together.  I just found them rude from my time living in Europe, but incredibly attractive.  No reason to call people "mein fuhrer" dude, just soccer smack talk.  I thought that was allowed during Euros where a small continent divides itself into about 50 countries because they're so tolerant of other people's cultures.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I don't like Russia because tens of millions of Americans just plain forgot about them in the last 5 years.  

Only brought up the Sweden in WWII thing because you posted "They do not suffer defeat."  They don't lose because they don't take sides.  Just an attempt at history and football mixing together.  I just found them rude from my time living in Europe, but incredibly attractive.  No reason to call people "mein fuhrer" dude, just soccer smack talk.  I thought that was allowed during Euros where a small continent divides itself into about 50 countries because they're so tolerant of other people's cultures.

You've made several weirdly political comments in here. Just busting your balls. I'm watching a soccer tournament- I don't give a fuck about past transgressions and historical qualms between sides. Do you think that posters here would openly cheer for Germany if anyone cared? Move on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You're right, there's no historical beefs in the Euros among their fanbases.  You and I can crack wise about it, but for some of them---it ain't over.  

But you're right (for real)...it's mainly about the competition and fun.  I'm having a blast watching it this year.  I wish the CWS was as fun to watch.  

Just now, Lobo said:

You're right, there's no historical beefs in the Euros among their fanbases.  You and I can crack wise about it, but for some of them---it ain't over.  

But you're right (for real)...it's mainly about the competition and fun.  I'm having a blast watching it this year.  I wish the CWS was as fun to watch.  

Yeah and rereading your comment I get that. It's humor and for us it can be amusing - you aren't offending me. I just think Europe is by and large filled with wonderful people just like the rest of the world and it should be a soccer competition first and foremost.

That said... some of the inimitable passion and rivalry wouldn't exist if it weren't for those historical grudges. It just seems bad sportsmanship to drag all of them out of the closet. 

Thanks for understanding my position and not dragging this argument out like a dickhead. Too much of that here.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think zjejas was making a Zlatan-like comment in Sweden does "not suffer defeat." Who knows though?

Tomorrow is only Group D at 2 PM

Here are the scenarios

• Czech Republic will finish first in the group with a win or draw against England, based on its superior goal differential. Even with a loss, the Czechs will finish second unless Croatia beats Scotland and overtakes them in goal differential. Regardless, the Czechs will advance.
  • England will finish first or second with a win or draw against Czech Republic, or with a Croatia win or draw against Scotland. England will win the group with a win against Czech Republic. Regardless, England will advance.
  • Croatia could finish second with a win over Scotland and a Czech Republic loss, but only with a big gain in goal differential. Croatia must win to have any chance to advance.
  • Scotland could still finish second with a win over Croatia and an England loss. Scotland must beat Croatia to avoid finishing last in the group.
Edited by Ted Lange

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

image.thumb.png.f67065f2289069d33402488c9e86731e.png

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I dont understand how Finland is out and Russia is in over them.

This was when the games were Finland losing and Russia 1-2 Denmark.

At that point it went to head to head tie breakers:
Denmark 0-1 Finland
Russia 1-0 Finland
Russia 1-2 Denmark

Tie breaker 1 - H2H points - everyone is at 3
Tie Breaker 2 - H2H GD - All tied at 0
Tie Breaker 3 - H2H Goals scored - Denmark 2, Russia 2, Finland 1 Finland eliminated

Then we get Denmark v Russia and that goes to H2H with Denmark coming out on top.

What's wild was how the day went was was happening and what we thought was happening:
Day starts Belgium, Finland, Russia, Denmark

38' Goal Denmark - Belgium, Finland, Denmark, Russia

59' Goal Denmark - Belgium, Finland, Denmark, Russia

65' Goal Belgium - Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Russia
65' Sike, no goal - Belgium, Finland, Denmark, Russia

70' PK Goal Russia - Belgium, Finland, Denmark, Russia

75' Goal Belgium - Belgium, Denmark, Russia, Finland

79' Goal Denmark - Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Russia

81' Goal Belgium - Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Russia

82' Goal Denmark - Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Russia

I think that's right - I'm shocked that we didn't get an r/soccer flip-flop standings graphic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

england will crater against france/germany/portugal if they eek out a 1-0 on czech

they will still lose to france/germany/portugal with a 2-0 or 2-1 over czech UNLESS they look absolutely all-universe teri-hatcher-tits-real&spectacular

they must play well and score at least 3 sans teri hatcher's tits to have any real chance against france/germany/portugal

england's best outcome is a 2-2 or 3-3 conceding an own goal and bogus pk, along with at least 2 goals ruled off by var

form, shoulder chip and aggy martyr combined against NOT france/germany/portugal and they could beat their r16 opponent

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

england will crater against france/germany/portugal if they eek out a 1-0 on czech

they will still lose to france/germany/portugal with a 2-0 or 2-1 over czech UNLESS they look absolutely all-universe teri-hatcher-tits-real&spectacular

they must play well and score at least 3 sans teri hatcher's tits to have any real chance against france/germany/portugal

england's best outcome is a 2-2 or 3-3 conceding an own goal and bogus pk, along with at least 2 goals ruled off by var

form, shoulder chip and aggy martyr combined against NOT france/germany/portugal and they could beat their r16 opponent

They're not that far removed from making the WC Semis. I'm not totally counting them out yet. 

Just now, ztejas said:

They're not that far removed from making the WC Semis. I'm not totally counting them out yet. 

And Portugal won the last Euro by winning a single game in regulation open play.

You do understand, that England did one thing in Russia, and that was beat Colombia.

That's it.

It's possible to go very deep with nothing and never go anywhere because you are aggy.

see: Mexico.

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

These goals are insane. Eriksen's widow must be overwhelmed right now. 

This is funny, because…

…Eriksen…

…isn’t…

…married. 

8 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I'd give threefiddy to be in Copenhagen tonight.

It would be off the hook tonight in Copenhagen! I would swing by Christiania for some 🍄🍄 and then head to Rådhuspladsen for an outdoor party in the plaza in front of the city hall on the Summer Solstice, where it will only be dark for about an hour or two, but the techno will be thumping til we’ll past 8am on a week day. And the women…♥️♥️♥️👀

The Danish women are, without a doubt, the most beautiful women in the Baltics, not just Scandinavia.

Number two on that list are Norwegian ladies, but the Danes are number one. 

NOTE: It is highly unlikely that a woman from the Baltics ages gracefully and moves from a MILF to a GILF. Extraordinarily unusual. 

23 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

regarding football realpolitik....

europeans, as well as most of the rest of the planet, have a different time horizon that we do....

1945 was this afternoon

1845 was last night

1745 was the past weekend

1645 was last month

1045 was last year

Was walking with my interpreter in Bosnia back in 96. He said yeah, a big massacre happened right in that ravine, nonchalantly pointing over his shoulder. I asked in 1993 (Serb Offensive in Una Sana Canton). Nah, back when the fucking turks came through in the 1500's. European vision of history is just like you say good Sir. You must stay at Holiday Inn Expresses. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

This is funny, because…

…Eriksen…

…isn’t…

…married. 

It would be off the hook tonight in Copenhagen! I would swing by Christiania for some 🍄🍄 and then head to Rådhuspladsen for an outdoor party in the plaza in front of the city hall on the Summer Solstice, where it will only be dark for about an hour or two, but the techno will be thumping til we’ll past 8am on a week day. And the women…♥️♥️♥️👀

The Danish women are, without a doubt, the most beautiful women in the Baltics, not just Scandinavia.

Number two on that list are Norwegian ladies, but the Danes are number one. 

NOTE: It is highly unlikely that a woman from the Baltics ages gracefully and moves from a MILF to a GILF. Extraordinarily unusual. 

I miss Norway. Spent 60 days there 10 years ago 

E575585E-50AB-4128-B308-3A7FCC46A15A.png

A15E9F46-4260-4575-830D-E5386C856278.png

BA9C4D49-4816-4FCB-A369-434C605AC464.png

AFE3F00C-9A5C-408A-9C51-3BA6E0552539.png

43146019-FD0F-4C3B-B084-BD09A2B943F2.png

0C83EB3B-6DA3-42C7-AEFD-4525C489551E.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

bigger than their result will be who Southgate runs out there. If we don’t see Grealish and Sancho for extended minutes, and both starting, England is done. You can’t have your best and most talented playmakers on the bench. And if they don’t see extended minutes today, you won’t play them in the KO round.

Southgate is your prototypical English manager in that he starts his old guard players instead of playing his younger, more talented players. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Kane is out of form but Southgate doesn't have the stones to sit him. The Press would destroy him if he loses without Kane starting, so he's gonna start Kane. 

The press is destroying Southgate for not sitting him.    I still don't understand how a striker can be out of form when the ball is never passed to him.  He was subbed off v Scotland and it was the exact same shite.  Was Ederson was out of form all year because he hardly had a save?

Edited by midtown