Euro 2020/2021

shnsajax

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

But, as I have said before, I'm not a fan of English Football or their league so I didn't really know a ton about him. From 2014-15 season he's been really good. Maybe he will lead his team deep into this tournament.

Best way to look at his EPL numbers is to take the Goals, Assists and Chances Created and multiply them by 2 to compare to players in the Bundesliga

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

There are some Harry Kane fans in here. I wasn't attacking him as an awful person.

It was just a comment based on what I have seen so far in Euro 2020.

I see he has been England's best player for a while on their national team. His numbers, 166 goals in 242 Premier League games ties him with Henry for most goals per game on the all-time scoring list of guys who have scored at least 100 Premier League goals.

But, as I have said before, I'm not a fan of English Football or their league so I didn't really know a ton about him. From 2014-15 season he's been really good. Maybe he will lead his team deep into this tournament.

This isn't about being a fan (I like his current club, he isn't my favorite player). This is understanding how international duty fits in with their day to day play at their clubs, and in many cases seeing these guys play all season long. When you say "what I have seen so far in Euro 2020", your comment would be like looking at the stats/games and thinking Barkley was the best player on the 1992 Dream Team because he was the leading scorer for the Olympics.

I would just note that these guys have been together about 2-3 weeks since the season ended, played a few games together. But they come from different pro teams, different systems all of which are built with their particular talents in mind. What they do for those teams is a much better reflection of what their talents are than what they are doing in this tournament. In many cases the talent takes care of the scheme, but in some cases it does not.

England in this tournament has underwhelmed, no question. Others will disagree, but I happen to think they are one of the best collections of talent in this tournament (I have said top 5 in this regard). They also happen to be coached by a human potato who seems to have lost his skills along with his vests. Both their team performance and probably Kane's individual performance have been tepid because the manager isn't doing what it takes to maximize what they have out there, both in scheme and personnel.

Kane is good, but in a tournament like this everyone is good. He isn't going to be able to skirt by on just his talent. And against top teams, he is going to have the other coaches scheme to take him away if England doesn't have a scheme that is something more than put the ball up top and hope Kane scores.

This is also what people have been clamoring for youth to be brought in. Sancho should have seen the field in all 3 games, probably started 1. Grealish and Sako were dynamic out there on key in the first goal (Jack with the assist and Sako's overlap freed up Sterling for the goal). They have talent on this team that could give teams fits. And combined they have less minutes than Kane, who probably should see MAX 70 minutes a game (and I would target 60 with 5 subs).

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

England in this tournament has underwhelmed, no question. Others will disagree, but I happen to think they are one of the best collections of talent in this tournament (I have said top 5 in this regard).

Agree that two goals in three matches is underwhelming, but they also haven't conceded.

And I agree that they're top 5 talent.  After France, Germany, Italy, and Belgium, who else has more weapons than England?  I suppose some might still argue Spain, but I don't buy it.  Anything short of a quarterfinal appearance would be an unmitigated disaster.

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Agree that two goals in three matches is underwhelming, but they also haven't conceded.

And I agree that they're top 5 talent.  After France, Germany, Italy, and Belgium, who else has more weapons than England?  I suppose some might still argue Spain, but I don't buy it.  Anything short of a quarterfinal appearance would be an unmitigated disaster.

Unmitigated disaster is England's thing. Since Dunkirk, with few exceptions. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Unmitigated disaster is England's thing. Since Dunkirk, with few exceptions. 

Flashed all their sabres bare,
Flashed as they turned in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
   All the world wondered.
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right through the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reeled from the sabre stroke
   Shattered and sundered.
Then they rode back, but not
   Not the six hundred.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Which probably will happen.

They have a squad that can win it all, but for Southgate. He doesn’t set up his best players to win.

And while they haven’t conceded I don’t think they’ve faced anyone that tested them for real. Against Portugal/Germany (the likely 1st KO opponent) and Sweden or Spain (next round) I think the confusion their defense has shown at times will be exposed. 

in case anybody was wondering:

Group E

Qualified: Sweden
In the mix: Slovakia, Spain, Poland

Sweden have already qualified for the knockout stages ahead of their game against Poland, who will qualify with a win but be eliminated with any other result. Both Spain and Slovakia know that a win will guarantee their berth in the knockout rounds as well.

However, while a point would be enough for Slovakia, it would take Spain's fate out of their hands. If Luis Enrique's side were to draw and Sweden were to win then La Furia Roja would advance. However victory for Poland and a draw in the other game would leave Spain bottom of the group on three points.

No finishing position in Group E is confirmed. Its winners will face a third placed team from Group A, B, C or D. Second will face Group D's runner up whilst any qualifier from third would face Belgium or the Netherlands.

i really need poland to score one.  I did a parlay on italy, belgium, netherlands, england, and spain all winning their groups.  fucking rojas is going to end up screwing me with their two idiotic draws but if poland can get an equalizer and spain can hold at least 2-0, i'm good.

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

i really need poland to score one.  I did a parlay on italy, belgium, netherlands, england, and spain all winning their groups.  fucking rojas is going to end up screwing me with their two idiotic draws but if poland can get an equalizer and spain can hold at least 2-0, i'm good.

You might get it. Getting a little nervy for Sweden.