COPA AMERICA 2021 ...(could be played in USA)

Napoleon

9 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

That keeper talked and walked. 

9 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Anyone can talk shit. Backing it up like that is nails. Mad respect to Emiliano Martinez. 

Some great shit regarding the shootout. And this heat was in an empty stadium in a different country even those these two countries were supposed to be the hosts. I think that this tournament may actually mean something to these guys... like more than the Gold Cup means to the USMNT.

BACK STORY:
-Argies are good friends with the Uruguayans, especially Messi & Luis Suarez.
-Mina danced after hitting his penalty against Uruguay and that didn't sit well with the Argies.

ON TO THE SHOOT OUT:

Through a couple of different sources and watching the video, this is basically what I can come up with.

Includes...

Yerry Mina taking his penalty
Emiliano Martínez: "You're nervous."
[Mina chuckles]
Emi: "You're laughing, but you're nervous. You're nervous. You're nervous."
Emi: "It is really big, the ball. I know you already, fool. I know you."
Emi: "Look out, I'm gonna eat you up, brother. Look out, I'm gonna eat you up, brother."

Someone lower in this thread thinks that the Spanish is...

Lo estás riendo porque estás nervioso, eh?
Estás nervioso.
Estás nervioso.
Está un poquito adelante la pelota.
Está adelante la pelota.
Sí, sí, hacete el boludo.
Ya te conozco a vos.
Te gusta farandulear.
Mirá que si no aseguras te lo atajo, eh.
Mirá que te como, hermano.

Meanwhile, there was a camera exclusively on Messi during the shootout and when Mina missed, he was referencing Mina's dancing in front of the Uruguayan goal when he started screaming...

"DANCE!
DANCE!
DANCE NOW!
DANCE NOW!
DANCE NOW!"

He looks like he is absolutely losing his shit.

And finally this article...

Copa America: Argentina’s trash-talking during penalty shoot-out vs Colombia

960.jpg

Argentina will face their old rivals Brazil in the 2021 Copa America final after defeating Colombia on penalties on Tuesday night.

Lionel Messi provided the assist for Lautaro Martinez’s opening goal in the seventh minute; however, Colombia equalised on the hour-mark through Luis Diaz.

Messi hit the post late in the game but, with the scores still level after 90 minutes, the semi-final tie was decided on penalties.

Argentina's s**thousery vs Colombia in penalty shoot-out

We’ve seen some incredible s**thousery from Italy this summer at the European Championships but Argentina’s antics against Colombia at the Copa America will take some beating.

Goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez was Argentina’s hero at the Estadio Nacional de Brasilia, saving three of Colombia’s penalties.

690.jpg

Normal time had seen 47 fouls and 10 yellow cards between the two South American nations and the shoot-out was equally as spicy.

Martinez, who plays his club football with Aston Villa, was trash-talking in the shoot-out.

The Premier League ‘keeper could be heard trying to psyche out Colombia’s Yerry Mina right up until the moment he struck the penalty, telling his opponent: “You look scared”.

He was also quoted saying: 'That ball looks big for you...I know you...You're nervous, I can see you're nervous...I know where you're going to shoot... chickens**t...'

690.jpg

His s**thouse tactics worked like a charm. Mina missed and Martinez celebrated like this…

Next, it was Messi’s turn to rub salt into the defender’s wounds.

“Dance Now! Dance Now!” Messi screamed at Mina.

Why? Well, there’s every chance that Messi was getting revenge for his friend, Luis Suarez.

690.jpg

What did Argentina players say to Edwin Cardona?

The s**thousery continued after Edwin Cardona saw his decisive spot-kick saved by Martinez.

Footage has gone viral on social media showing one of the players - Leandro Paredes has been mentioned, although other think it was German Pezzella - shouting “see you soon, fatty” at Cardona as Argentina’s players joined in the celebrations.

690.jpg

Brutal!

https://www.givemesport.com/1717674-copa-america-argentinas-trashtalking-during-penalty-shootout-vs-colombia

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Brazil vs. Argentina in the final. Who could have predicted that?!?!?!!!

Brazil was given, especially because it is playing at home.

But even if the tournament had been in Colombia/Argentina, Brazil would have almost definitely made the final because they are playing well together and have the best solo street player (Neymar) at a time when most of the top teams (Argentina, Uruguay, Chile... Colombia) are aging and don't have the combination of pace & skill that Brazil has this year.

Argentina was the wildcard. I remember the malaise of the 2011 Copa America in Argentina and I kind of thought that the same might be the case this year because of the pandemic, losing the tournament, Agüero & Otamendi showing major age, Higuaín having aged out, Di María being a role player... I just didn't know if Argentina would even make it to the semifinals... but everyone else was even worse.

So here we are. The Italians of Europe won yesterday and then Italians of the Americas* won yesterday.

*Brazil definitely has more people of Italian descent than Argentina and I would think that the United States does as well, but neither country has as large of a percentage of people of Italian descent as Argentina and it's not really even close.

Emi Martinez is the kind of guy who goes from a ten-year backup at Arsenal who is worth next to nothing on the open market, to such an undeniable force that he's sold for £20M, all in a matter of three months. what a guy. he is easily one of my favorite players to ever play for Arsenal, and i will always be a huge supporter of his. badass night last night. one more to go.

Edited by shadow_operative

^ FUCKING LEGEND!!

...meanwhile, in Bangladesh...

Bangladesh on alert for Brazil, Argentina Copa clash

4a0a41b6146d39a450e860f34085bb71

Thu, July 8, 2021, 7:28 AM

Police in a rural Bangladesh district have banned gatherings for Sunday's Copa America final between Brazil and Argentina following clashes between rival fans.

Longstanding rivalry between followers of the South American giants boiled over after Brazil's semi-final win over Peru to set up the final against Lionel Messi's Argentina, police said Thursday.

A dispute between two boys over which country played better football turned into a street battle with fans beating each other with sticks and throwing punches in Brahmanbaria, 120 kilometres (75 miles) east of Dhaka, local police chief Mohammad Amranul Islam told AFP.

Islam said police were now on alert for Sunday's high-octane Copa America final in Rio de Janeiro, more than 15,000 kilometres away.

"We have told villagers they can't watch the matches on big screens. We have gone to villages and told them they can't hold any gathering during the final," Islam said.

Cricket is Bangladesh's main sport but the country of 168 million people becomes a hotbed of football fanaticism for the World Cup and Copa America.

Millions of Brazil and Argentina fans hoist the flags of their favourite country on their homes and stage street processions wearing team shirts. Trouble regularly erupts.

During the 2018 World Cup a 12-year-old boy was electrocuted to death while putting a Brazil flag on a road pole. A man and his son were critically injured when fans in rival processions clashed in the central town of Bandar.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bangladesh-alert-brazil-argentina-copa-122835061.html

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Diaz has been on a tear. Three goals the last two matches, all powerful strikes from range or poor angles, if I'm not mistaken?

I have a strong feeling that this Diaz guy is going to move this summer for a substantial chunk of change after going to Porto 2 years ago on a €7 million deal.

A guy who is as dangerous of a weapon as he is could draw €50M, or at least €30M + add-ons.

Colombia finished a strong third.  Good for them. 

Look forward to watching the championship match tomorrow.  I wish I knew more than 10 words in Portuguese.  I wish I knew more than 10 Argentines who didn't mention their European blood every ten seconds.  I wish I could run that fast for 10 seconds.  Being Argentine is great, but it's like listening to a Vegan-Crossfitter from New York City.  Holy fucking shit. 

Edited by Lobo

Fun 3rd place game.  Diaz was very impressive and that was a great long ball from the keeper to set him up on Colombia's 2nd goal.  Peru's wall on Colombia's 1st goal was one of the shittiest I've ever seen - seemed a little match-fixy.

Colombia finished a strong third.  Good for them. 
Look forward to watching the championship match tomorrow.  I wish I knew more than 10 words in Portuguese.  I wish I knew more than 10 Argentines who didn't mention their European blood every ten seconds.  I wish I could run that fast for 10 seconds.  Being Argentine is great, but it's like listening to a Vegan-Crossfitter from New York City.  Holy fucking shit. 

Depending on how your Spanish vocabulary is, it is very likely you know more than 10 words in Portuguese. You might not have the right pronunciation though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, the couple times I've been to Portugal, I fared okay.  not embarrassing, but nobody's welcoming me back either.  You could probably say that about most places I've been.  But I meet plenty of Brazilians here in Texas, Chicago, and Miami on business.  And I have no problem admitting, I have zero fucking idea what's going on.  Nice folks though.  But George Costanza knows more brazilian portuguese than I do  

18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Depending on how your Spanish vocabulary is, it is very likely you know more than 10 words in Portuguese. You might not have the right pronunciation though.

Mais devagar, por favor - ainda estou aprendendo português. (Pelo menos é português brasileiro; nunca entendo os portugueses, nem um pouquinho.)

Obrigado pela gíria, Patrício é Hefe!

(My Spanish is nonexistent so I decided to suck at another language as well during lockdown. I knew I could count on Surly for some useful tips....)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Mais devagar, por favor - ainda estou aprendendo português. (Pelo menos é português brasileiro; nunca entendo os portugueses, nem um pouquinho.)

(My Spanish is nonexistent so I decided to suck at another language as well during lockdown. I knew I could count on Surly for some useful tips....)

Tudo bem.  Vamos falar Carioca com esta gente.  Portugues de Portugal se chama bacalhau, senta no meu pau que te levo a Portugal.

• Haha 1

Legal cara! Está falando bem.

Vamos Brasil!!!
  • Like 1