Blastfurnace 2021

Storm the Field

22 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

You sure about that Clark?

I don't know if that south wind is ready to give up.

Paraphrasing from SpaceCity:

We're getting to the point of the calendar year when cool fronts start cycling through with increasing regularity. There will be plenty of "warm" days over the next several weeks, but "hot" temps over 85 become increasingly unlikely with each passing day. Friday will almost certainly be the last day of 2021 that even flirts with 90 (unless you live in the RGV).

For you weirdos who just love never-ending Texas summer, you get 2 more days to sweat. The time for us normies is soon at hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

We're getting to the point of the calendar year when cool fronts start cycling through with increasing regularity. There will be plenty of "warm" days over the next several weeks, but "hot" temps over 85 become increasingly unlikely with each passing day. Friday will almost certainly be the last day of 2021 that even flirts with 90 (unless you live in the RGV).

For you weirdos who just love never-ending Texas summer, you get 2 more days to sweat. The time for us normies is soon at hand.

I am not going to miss the high side of 80. I am skeptical we are done though. 

I am not a summer person. They annoy the shit out of me. 

"I love the heat!" Fuck off and put on some real shoes

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I am not going to miss the high side of 80. I am skeptical we are done though

As well you should be....quick check of history for the last 5 years shows the number of days at or above 80 in Nov... (Bergstrom temps)

2016 10
2017 10
2018 2
2019 7
2020 16

lets hope its more like 2018, less like last year. 

We're talking about different things here. 

"At or above 80" is different than "High 80's or 90's"

"Warmer than I'd prefer" is different than "Hot." 

Also, don't just look at the high temps. 80's during the day is a lot more tolerable when followed by low 60's in the evening and following morning. 

I consider "blastfurance" to be the part of the year when you get little to no relief, day or night.

Still on track for a major cooldown.

Looks like for you Austin/San Antonio folks, temps should peak around 85 at 3:00 tomorrow afternoon and slowly shed a few degrees each hour until you wake up in the 50's on Saturday morning. 

Same but 2-3 hours later and 4-5 degrees warmer for those of us in Houston.

Coolest point of the weekend will be late Saturday evening into early Sunday morning. Lows near or below 50 in a good chunk of the state. Midland/Lubbock/Amarillo all likely to touch the 30's this weekend. 

So wait, my choices are relying on ERCOT during another Winter storm, or fighting the Hulkster?

Shit.  I'm gonna go with the Hulk.  At least my kids can be warm while I bleed out.

No shit, played with my youngest outside this morning for about 45 minutes and I need a second shower already.  Da fuh?  

Looks like the big shift occurs at about 7:00p or so tonight.  So looking forward to this football weekend, but gotta dry this taint sweat off first.  Any takers...Looking at you Briscoe! 

And yeah, sure enough...middle of next week...highs of 85 with high humidity...so about a 95 degree heat index.  Totes fucking normal for late October.  

I'm in Waco. An hour ago it was still swamp ass city but I just stepped outside and there's been a change in the air. Waco is still swamp ass city but the air quality has improved slightly, coming from the north. Hope!! Folks south of here should be seeing it in a few hours. 

7 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Summer heading for the exit with two middle fingers held high. An absolutely disgusting morning in Houston. Swampy AF.

No shit, I think this morning / today was the worst of the summer.  The two or three day reprieve we got a couple of weeks ago was a real "fuck you" to all of us.  I'm one of those masochists that can tolerate the hot summers and find a little bit of enjoyment from them at times; but this shit is getting tired as fuck.

Yeah, 85 and humid as fuck in late October is worse than 95 and humid as fuck in early June.  

Gonna be gorgeous for next 4 days.  Wednesday and Thursday back up to 85 and humid as fuck.  Then hopefully Autumn for awhile, Halloween looking like usual giant question mark.  

Alls I know is burnt orange yoga pants tomorrow around the 40.  Burnt Orange yoga pants are this man's Pumpkin Spice of Life.  

Here's to the first of the day in 12 hours.  

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

It was. Shame it was ruined by football.

No shit, this morning had so much promise.

Next weekend, with the heat index, is 90-95 in late October.  So you know...fuck you to decency and expectations.  The whole fucking thing is so fucked up, why are we even pretending anything makes sense any more?  We have to hydrate our children for fucking Halloween.  We're gonna be lucky to get a bid to the fucking Cheez-It Bowl at 7-5 and worry there about heatstroke in fucking late December.  None of this makes any fucking sense, but MUH TRADITIONS!  Texas Autumn and Texas Longhorn football success have one massive thing in common in the last decade...both have about 9 minutes of potential in early October, then we FUCK IT UP! 

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Looks like we get another week and a half of Diet Summer before any more fronts roll through. Back to 85/70 days until Halloween weekend. 

What do the longer range models show for Halloween Weekend?

We've been lucky the last few years where most the Halloween’s have been colder than usual 

Current forecasts have a mild front pushing through next Thursday (10/28) and dropping temps maybe 10 degrees or so. So, highs around 75, lows maybe 55-60.

Doesn't seem likely to be a cold Halloween, but shouldn't be unseasonably warm if the models hold.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 1

SpaceCity put out their official winter forecast, and it's a warmer and drier Nov-February than usual for most of the Southern and Eastern US due to a persistent La Nina. 

https://spacecityweather.com/space-city-weathers-official-2021-2022-winter-outlook/

In the near-term, models are solidifying around a moderate front rolling through late next week. Not as dramatic temp swings as this past weekend, but should be a delightful Halloween weekend, especially the further you get from the coast.

On 10/13/2021 at 12:03 PM, Storm the Field said:

image.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

image.gif

Mea Culpa. Today looking pretty likely to hit 90 and tomorrow will be toasty as well in the upper 80's. Yesterday felt like mid-August, just straight nasty.

That said, today SHOULD be the hottest day of the rest of the calendar year.

Next front rolls through CenTex Wed. morning and should reach the coast around lunch time. Will bring some storms with it, but cooler, drier air to follow  behind it. Very nice days ahead Thursday-Saturday. Halloween will be a little warmer and more humid than Saturday while the sun is up, but still very tolerable and should feel great later in the evening around sundown.

A reinforcing front comes through 2 days later and the weather for the first week of November should actually resemble early November.

Check back in 2 weeks to see how many of these points I whiffed on.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2100hrs checkin here in South Austin.  78*, heat index at 80% humidity and current barometric pressure, currently checking in at 85* real feel overall.  

Totally fucking normal for the week of Halloween considering it's almost 9-fucking-30.  

But yeah, we pussies can't hang in hot Texas weather.  I gotta start hydrating my kids for trick-o-treating midweek to have a chance a fun weekend.  

We need a massive, unseasonal pacific system to bring us under 95 in the second wettest month in central Texas the week of Halloween?   Yeah, totes fucking normal.  

On 9/30/2021 at 12:00 PM, Lobo said:

Soupy out there today.  Tuesday rains were awesome, but lawn is already showing off its brown spots again.  My body and lawn are ready for this weekend, godspeed to you ACL'ers this weekend.  Still, looks like 90 degrees everyday for the next couple weeks.  Rain will take the edge off, but looks like we're headed for an unseasonably warm October.  

On 9/30/2021 at 12:10 PM, Lobo said:

upper 80's with high humidity====feels like 90 degrees.  Sorry, but real feel temps/heat index temps mean more to me and my balls than "well, it's only 87 with 60% humidity"  Not saying it's hot, but it's ball sweat inducing.  South Austin's Mom out front shoulda told ya

On 10/4/2021 at 8:24 PM, Lobo said:

Dah Fuh?  Why we gotta be skipping the best season of the year, every fucking year?  Looks like mid-90's heat and little rain until the very end of the month.  Some bullshit.  At least bring some more rain.  Probably our first freeze a few weeks after that.  Then our first grid failure after that and ensuing deaths by 1 December.  
What do you people have against Autumn dammit?

On 10/4/2021 at 10:11 PM, Lobo said:

Nobody's really bitching.  The hotter temps are one thing, but when it occurs with zero precipitation...that becomes concerning to the grownups who don't wanna spend every weekend still adjusting the sprinkler system.  We are not having normal Octobers and Novembers the last decade.  It's not bitching, it's called "pause" and I haz it. 

On 10/15/2021 at 10:29 AM, Lobo said:

No shit, played with my youngest outside this morning for about 45 minutes and I need a second shower already.  Da fuh?  

Looks like the big shift occurs at about 7:00p or so tonight.  So looking forward to this football weekend, but gotta dry this taint sweat off first.  Any takers...Looking at you Briscoe! 

And yeah, sure enough...middle of next week...highs of 85 with high humidity...so about a 95 degree heat index.  Totes fucking normal for late October.  

On 10/16/2021 at 7:28 PM, Lobo said:

No shit, this morning had so much promise.

Next weekend, with the heat index, is 90-95 in late October.  So you know...fuck you to decency and expectations.  The whole fucking thing is so fucked up, why are we even pretending anything makes sense any more?  We have to hydrate our children for fucking Halloween.  We're gonna be lucky to get a bid to the fucking Cheez-It Bowl at 7-5 and worry there about heatstroke in fucking late December.  None of this makes any fucking sense, but MUH TRADITIONS!  Texas Autumn and Texas Longhorn football success have one massive thing in common in the last decade...both have about 9 minutes of potential in early October, then we FUCK IT UP! 

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

2100hrs checkin here in South Austin.  78*, heat index at 80% humidity and current barometric pressure, currently checking in at 85* real feel overall.  

Totally fucking normal for the week of Halloween considering it's almost 9-fucking-30.  

But yeah, we pussies can't hang in hot Texas weather.  I gotta start hydrating my kids for trick-o-treating midweek to have a chance a fun weekend.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

We need a massive, unseasonal pacific system to bring us under 95 in the second wettest month in central Texas the week of Halloween?   Yeah, totes fucking normal.  

Jesus Fucksticks, dude. Just fucking move somewhere else already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sorry for talking about the heat on the thread about talking about the heat.  A handful of posts about what every single weather expert called an unseasonably warm and dry October over the course of said month.  The time it took you to aggregate all those posts, you are every bit the woman your father feared you become.  

just worried about my grass man.  Immamac added this badass feature to the site by the way, during October.  You can just scroll past certain posts and you can even NOT quote them in assemblage.  

9 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

National dewpoint map illustrates the extent to which we pulled the short end of the stick the past few days. It's seasonably comfortable in probably > 90% of the US, except for....

Weaksauce.jpg.78b7605b0bc9bfcf8425ebe222f9dfd4.jpg

Pretty good visual representation of Oklahoma sucking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

Sorry for talking about the heat on the thread about talking about the heat.  A handful of posts about what every single weather expert called an unseasonably warm and dry October over the course of said month.  The time it took you to aggregate all those posts, you are every bit the woman your father feared you become.  

just worried about my grass man.  Immamac added this badass feature to the site by the way, during October.  You can just scroll past certain posts and you can even NOT quote them in assemblage.  

Xeriscaping is glorious