Blastfurnace 2021

Storm the Field

Looks like a decent cool front is heading to the deep south Thursday-Saturday, but passing just to our east. No luck this time. 

605660841_Doh.jpg.5ab6d1856a355a257287f0e3ed76aa04.jpg

As a consolation prize, we should be getting some significantly lower humidity towards the end of this week. Seeing dew points in the 50's and 60's for much of Texas. Should make for some pleasant mornings and evenings (but still quite hot most of the day).

On 9/6/2021 at 10:15 AM, Storm the Field said:

Looks like a decent cool front is heading to the deep south Thursday-Saturday, but passing just to our east. No luck this time. 

As a consolation prize, we should be getting some significantly lower humidity towards the end of this week. Seeing dew points in the 50's and 60's for much of Texas. Should make for some pleasant mornings and evenings (but still quite hot most of the day).

Noticeable today for sure. Used to the heat index being up in the hundreds.  I could get used to 22% humidity. 

image.png.de7d0898003f7e00a5bc5b6c4105259a.png

Feels nice outside right now.  Not great, but pleasant enough for a cocktail or three. 

Next few days look to be hot as balls again though with no rain chances in sight until early next week.  Lawn is not amused.  

September pro tip---be sure to get up in your attic and flush your HVAC lines with a cup of vinegar per each unit.  Mold has been accruing all of this moist summer and we got another month of heat left to go.  Check your drip pans too for any moisture accumulation.  

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

Feels nice outside right now.  Not great, but pleasant enough for a cocktail or three. 

Next few days look to be hot as balls again though with no rain chances in sight until early next week.  Lawn is not amused.  

September pro tip---be sure to get up in your attic and flush your HVAC lines with a cup of vinegar per each unit.  Mold has been accruing all of this moist summer and we got another month of heat left to go.  Check your drip pans too for any moisture accumulation.  

You should have seen the gross shit I blew out of my HVAC lines at the beginning of summer. Looked like alien cum and fake peanut butter. 

Cooler mornings is because pretty much for the first time since early June, dewpoints have been < 50% (that means the air is drier, cools down easier).

3-4 more days of hanging around the 3-digit mark, longest streak all summer of course.  Then early next week temps drop 10° at least, and that's it for the 100's this year (maybe 1 outlier).

• Drool 1

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

I use bleach, and do this about once a month or so.  Learned the hard way when the accumulation caused a backup.

3 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

You should have seen the gross shit I blew out of my HVAC lines at the beginning of summer. Looked like alien cum and fake peanut butter. 

So the peanut butter was fake but the alien ejaculate was real?  You sound like you throw great attic parties.  That's a rare thing these days.  

After flushing my HVAC lines last week, this week I decided to keep the "cleansing" movement going and cleaned out all the sink J-traps in the house.  Nobody told me that my daughter dumps her uneaten half-bowl of cereal down the drain each morning before school while I'm getting the little one ready for preschool.  Just three weeks into the school year, you'd be amazed at the sludge created by rice krispies, cheerios, and kashi.  That stuff doesn't break down in the disposal, it just sits in the narrow pipes unable to make it to the wider main line and expands with each passing water usage.  Then whatever else you're trying to dispose of gets mixed in with it and I can only describe the vile shitmud as seeming like someone had murdered Snap, Crackle, and Pop and slowly disposed of their bodies in my sink like in "The Conversation."  I'll take any blowing out any HVAC line over this.  

Beautiful morning.  Played hoops with the oldest before school and didn't break a sweat for the first time since last March/April.  We stop and give thanks.

If this batch o' Gulf rain does make it into the ATX area next week, even an inch, kiss goodbye absou-fucking-loutely to our Sept. mini-summer (100's).  I guarantee it personally.

If we don't get the rain and the ground stays dry, always a possibility of one or two more three-digiters.  But with this summer and the pattern this year, I'm still saying that our last 100° day this week (whether earlier or the next 1-2 days) will be our last one for this summer go-round.

We're approaching hard math where the N. Hemisphere is simply too "indirectly" sunned to heat up.  I think BTW latest 100° day evah in ATX is Oct. 2.  Avg. last 100° day - oops! - Sept. 1.  Tell 2021 to read the the got-damn manual.

So fuck you heatwave, move the fuck over, earth maths is taking over.

• Hook 'Em 3

With just 7 days of "Calendar Summer" left to go, the Blastfurnace is coughing and wheezing out its final breaths. One last hot weekend ahead for everything West of I-35 while Houston will be wet and muggy in the mid-80's until further notice. Dallas area looking quite pleasant in the near-term.

GFS Models still yet to pick up signs of any kind of significant cool front in the 15-day outlook. The wait continues.

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

With just 7 days of "Calendar Summer" left to go, the Blastfurnace is coughing and wheezing out its final breaths. One last hot weekend ahead for everything West of I-35 while Houston will be wet and muggy in the mid-80's until further notice. Dallas area looking quite pleasant in the near-term.

GFS Models still yet to pick up signs of any kind of significant cool front in the 15-day outlook. The wait continues.

Highs in the low 80s here in Seabrook. Practically fall weather without a front even if a little muggy

On 9/15/2021 at 12:12 PM, Storm the Field said:

And just like that, models are starting to pick up a noticeable cool air mass making its way to Texas sometime middle of next week.

Current forecast for next Thursday is 81/61 in Houston, 88/58 in Austin, 84/60 in Dallas.

Not gonna get my hopes up too much until I see what the models say on Monday. 

There is a cool front on the way next week.  We may get down to the upper 50's next Thursday night here in SE Texas, which means it may be even cooler for y'all in CenTex.  The dreaded Blastfurnace is dead after this week, even if it really never got going this summer anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Hate said:

There is a cool front on the way next week.  We may get down to the upper 50's next Thursday night here in SE Texas, which means it may be even cooler for y'all in CenTex.  The dreaded Blastfurnace is dead after this week, even if it really never got going this summer anyway. 

Don't worry - we have some exceedingly warm weather for the next 5 days until that front hits. 

Monday & Tuesday will be at/above 100 with the heat index.  Looks nice after that though.  then again, that's what we said 2 weeks ago about this week.  

But looks like the Autumnal Equinox will actually mark the start of Fall for once in Austin.  First day of ACL is looking lovely.  88 and partly cloudy.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Monday & Tuesday will be at/above 100 with the heat index.  Looks nice after that though.  then again, that's what we said 2 weeks ago about this week.  

But looks like the Autumnal Equinox will actually mark the start of Fall for once in Austin.  First day of ACL is looking lovely.  88 and partly cloudy.

Prepping the kayak and fishing gear. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

You're right. I forgot everyone lives in the same city in Texas. 

High in Austin for the next week is supposed to be 98 degrees.  If that’s exceedingly hot then Texas isn’t the place for you.  I wonder how nature kept this big secret from supposedly longtime residents that it gets fucking hot here.  Some of you act all surprised about it.  

Almost as surprised as not getting rain from a hurricane when you live 200+ miles away from the coast in the wrong fucking direction.

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Don't worry - we have some exceedingly warm weather for the next 5 days until that front hits. 

I disregard the 10 day forecast the first couple of times it shows the first fall cold front coming through austin in Sept/Oct. Because those fronts disappear like a fart in the wind every goddamn time. 

I saw a guy walking his Saint Bernard in our park a couple weeks ago, one of those 105* days on our lunch break (peak sun).  

the dog  looked like Martin Short in the canteens scene in "Three Amigos"   All I could picture to take away my sadness for the dog was George Bluth in prison..."I have the worst fucking breeders."  

Tailgating gonna be damn hot tomorrow.  Better bring extra ice.  Days are short enough now, the second half entry onto the field out of the new Longhorn tunnel should look badass.

Still would be nice to get a spot of rain in the next week.