Abbott Gonna Build a Texas Wall. No Details on Cost or Location

atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Don’t understand how these fuckers don’t understand that a sensible immigration plan is the cheapest, most efficient, and most effective strategy.  

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm sure they do understand that, it's just not what they want.

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I know. I knew that when I typed that.  Godamnit. 

Glad to see this sequence.

"I have a sensible plan to manage immigration that makes economic sense, is humane, and will ultimately improve and stabilize the entire hemisphere" doesn't give his voting base a boner.

"I'm gonna take it to those beaners by building a wall!" gives them a massive freedom eagle boner.

That's the only thing that matters.  The GQP has literally ZERO interest in governing, yet they have a 100% interest in retaining power at all costs.  That should alarm the shit out of you.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The GQP has literally ZERO interest in governing, yet they have a 100% interest in retaining power at all costs.

It's governing by social media.

That's what this boils down to.

They don't want to put in the work to improve the country, because it's difficult, and the American public won't see everything they work on, and they could spend months working on something, only to have it change somehow, and that just won't do.

But throwing out a "gotcha" that does nothing to improve anything, but can be used on social media, is very effective at raking in donations, speaking fees, and votes, and it takes very little effort.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's governing by social media.

That's what this boils down to.

They don't want to put in the work to improve the country, because it's difficult, and the American public won't see everything they work on, and they could spend months working on something, only to have it change somehow, and that just won't do.

But throwing out a "gotcha" that does nothing to improve anything, but can be used on social media, is very effective at raking in donations, speaking fees, and votes, and it takes very little effort.

This is why new GQP congresscritters don't even have a policy staff.  All they have is comms, because that's all the GQP is - a marketing business.

• Hook 'Em 1

Abbott is sending a letter to the White House "DEMANDING" that the Biden admin return land taken from Texas private citizens by the Trump admin to build the TRUMP WALL so that the state of Texas can take it from them to build THE TRUMP-ABBOTT WALL. 

White House:  No thanks we are good on toilet paper. 

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Abbott is sending a letter to the White House "DEMANDING" that the Biden admin return land taken from Texas private citizens by the Trump admin to build the TRUMP WALL so that the state of Texas can take it from them to build THE TRUMP-ABBOTT WALL. 

White House:  No thanks we are good on toilet paper. 

wait, is this true? satire is so hard to spot these days

Two things:

1.  The land they are "DEMANDING" back will be "donated"

2. $250M. But the power grid is perfectly acceptable as is.

By declaring it a "disaster" they can divert the money wherever they want. 

Yep, even though we have 1000 other needs in this state...they're gonna raid it.  I'm glad that oil prices are higher, but the two-year look back on the fund isn't as fun.

Plus $250mm at Abbott's prices is only 11 miles.  We have 1,254 miles between us and Mexico.  Now, I know a huge portion of it is already walled off.  But 0.1% is not a down payment as Abbott is calling it.  That's just an insult.  Roughly 450 miles of our border (Texas) with Mexico are "Walled." 

That leaves 800 miles.  At $23mm/mile.  That's $18,400,000,000.  So his idea of a down payment is 1.4%.  Maybe we can float a bond on the wall based on future revenue considering what a tourist draw it's gonna be.  

How the fuck do people accept this?  We're beyond 'Empowered Stupidity' now, we're into something else altogether.  

Oh wait, I forgot.  4 unnamed land owners in South Texas are donating a portion of their land.  Yeah, that should cover $18billion.

51 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

How are they going to acquire land for this wall? I imagine the courts will tell them to get fucked if it’s by eminent domain 

They don't have to acquire any land.  Abbott just has to keep the idea alive through next March.

^

Yep, the only good news is...as insane as this seems (and it is batshit crazy both legally and logistically)...we only have to feign interest in it less than a year. Maybe throw up a few miles of wall with this "down payment" money.  And then it's over with.  I mean, we'll still have crazy shit down the road, but as much as people bag on Abbott...when pandering mode is over...even he understands we're not gonna spend $18bn on a wall.  Dan Patrick?  Maybe.  Particularly if there's Lane Bryant pantsuits available every 19 linear miles.  

https://www.chron.com/politics/article/Texas-leaders-respond-Greg-Abbott-border-wall-16253509.php

Cracking Up Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Abbott also signed a letter to Biden demanding the immediate return of any land taken by the federal government to build the border wall. Once returned, Texas will talk to those property owners about the possibility of the state taking that land to build the wall. Additionally, Abbott announced a donation page, borderwall.texas.gov, or send it via check to a P.O. Box.

Yeah Greg, if those property owners get it back from the feds, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to turn it right over to you!

While the state is putting up a down payment, Abbott doesn't know what the project will look like, how many miles will be built, or where it will be built.

They are putting down $250 million (and you know it's going to benefit some BMDs), but Abbot doesn't know what it will look like, how many miles it will have, or where it will even be built.

Holy fuck, Greg Abbott is making me wish the fucking aggy was back in charge.

Who the hell would ever hire Abbott to manage a private company when he wants to spend a shitload of money without knowing what it will be spent on?

Sure you want one? 

And before we build a fucking wall perhaps we should fix the shelters. There is an active request for information from DHS for companies who can come in and solve the shelter problems. Come on Surly, we can solve this shit. Anyone interested? 

This article pisses me off. 

The tented camp in the Fort Bliss military base in El Paso, Texas, is the temporary home for over 2,000 teenaged children who have crossed the US-Mexico border alone and are now awaiting reunification with family in the US.
Findings from the BBC's investigation include allegations of sexual abuse, Covid and lice outbreaks, a child waiting hours for medical attention, a lack of clean clothes and hungry children being served undercooked meat.
The BBC has spoken to camp employees about these conditions and seen photos and video smuggled out by staff.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57561760

MSNBC liberal host Brian Williams leveled crude criticism against conservative politicians by calling them "ensconced" in Trump’s anatomy.

On Tuesday’s episode of MSNBC's "The 11th Hour," Williams ended his show with a commentary against Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott. Williams proceeded to attack Abbott over his political stances including the building of a border wall, implying, in a crude manner, that they are to curry favor with Trump.

"His state doesn't have a dependable power grid, and yet he's going to build his own wall on the border. And he's being richly rewarded by a visit from his guy, Trump, next week," Williams said. "If Abbott wants to, say, run for President, he must be more further ensconced in a particular area of Trump's anatomy than even Ron DeSantis of Florida. And that won't be easy."

TED CRUZ BLASTS BRIAN WILLIAMS AS ‘CORRUPT’ AFTER ANCHOR ACCUSES HIM OF PEDDLING ‘RUSSIAN PROPAGANDA’ 

The segment flagged by Newsbusters also showed Williams attacking what he referred to as "Trumper" Republicans. "You can gaslight with the best of them, you can lie with impunity," claimed Williams. "Generally the rule is: Say or do the most shocking thing imaginable, and that's how you stay on brand."

Williams also leveled criticism against Abbott for his recent veto of an animal rights bill as well as his support of a bill aiming to tighten Texas voting laws.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Williams has previously insulted Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, by calling him "Kremlin Cruz" and suggesting he wanted to be the president of Russia. Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W. Va. was also attacked by Williams for living in a world of "his own making and his own imagination."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/brian-williams-crudely-condemns-greg-abbott

In one week, Gov. Abbott "raised" $500k for wall construction.  

That means, if he can consistently raise that much each week...to get to the $18.4bn price tag to complete the wall (his numbers-$23mm/mile)...it will only take him 36,800 weeks or 708 years.  Or they could just raid the rainy day fund which is obviously what it was intended for...ineffective walls.  

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

Rainy day funds are for vote buying and nothing else.

Oh it gets better.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/23/texas-greg-abbott-border-wall/

Gov. Greg Abbott is using a disaster declaration to help fund a border wall. Democrats say it’s an overreach of executive powers.

The disaster declarations give the governor broad power to suspend state laws and regulations that hinder a jurisdiction’s recovery from a disaster and to allow the use of available resources to respond to the disaster.

Over the past year, Gov. Greg Abbott has issued disaster declarations across the state for a number of tragedies: the coronavirus pandemic that killed more than 50,000 Texans, a winter storm that left millions of people in freezing temperatures without power for days, hurricanes and floods that wiped out homes and local infrastructure.

The disaster declarations give the governor broad power to suspend state laws and regulations that hinder a jurisdiction’s recovery from a disaster and to allow the use of available resources to respond to the disaster.

Then, on May 31, the two-term Republican governor who is seeking reelection next year took the unprecedented step of declaring a disaster for 34 counties based on an increase of illegal immigration at the Texas-Mexico border. The declaration allowed Abbott to request the reallocation of $250 million of legislatively appropriated funds toward a border wall construction project pushed by his office.

“It’s extraordinarily unusual,” said Jon Taylor, professor of political science at the University of Texas at San Antonio. “Traditionally, it’s used for natural disasters,” he added, though state law does allow for its use for some man-made disasters.

Abbott’s move raises questions about the executive branch’s emergency powers, rekindling concerns raised during the early days of COVID-19 last year when Abbott used his broad emergency powers to enact restrictions shutting down businesses to curb the pandemic. In response, the Legislature tried without success to rein in Abbott’s authority this session.

So if we get another major disaster, Ole Greg is going to have pray that Biden and Congress will support Texas.  It's like my dumbass in-law that blows her money on a much fancier computer than she needs and can afford, and then is asking for help when her car needs some work.  The moment she showed off her new computer, we were all thinking "yep, she's going to come around begging for money for something else."

• Like 1

$4,400 per foot, Greg.  Per FOOT!  Not a mile, not a meter, not a yard...a fucking foot, Gregory.  How long you think we can play this ruse?  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

$4,400 per foot, Greg.  Per FOOT!  Not a mile, not a meter, not a yard...a fucking foot, Gregory.  How long you think we can play this ruse?  

How many wheels is that? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

with the rainy day fund at ~$12B I'd say about 2,727,272.73 feet, or ~517 miles, or only about 41% of the Mexican border

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

This man is a complete idiot 

Are you sure about that? He seems to have the attention span of the Texas voter down pretty well. If a hurricane hits Houston, then the Lord willed it and Houston deserved it because they allowed *checks notes* all that voting.

He sure does like to move money around though. Really makes you think. Whitmer did that in Michigan two years ago, but it had a fair amount of oversight and was a little more relatable in terms of what categories of funding were being shifted. Abbott is going to kite some checks.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:11 PM, babysdaddy said:

Has anyone suggested to Gov Abbott that he could pay for the wall by legalizing weed?  Hampers his competitors from the south, pays for the wall, and has happy citizens all at once?  No?

I'm all in favor of legalizing weed but let's use the tax proceeds on something productive like, say, fixing our electric grid, funding our public schools, etc., etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

Big government or little government?

https://www.kxan.com/news/gov-abbott-asks-jailers-to-assist-border-sheriffs-with-operation-of-detention-facilities/

Governor Greg Abbott issued a statewide call for jailers Friday across Texas to assist border sheriffs with operating detention facilities and providing jail beds for those arrested for state charges.

According to a news release, the state is looking for jailers with supervisory and release experience. 

The state is also looking for trained booking officers with TLETS/AFIS experience, and current or former jailers who were honorably discharged within the last two years.

“The State of Texas will not tolerate criminal activity, which is why we are stepping up to address this crisis in the Biden Administration’s absence,” said Abbott. “Part of our comprehensive efforts to secure the border include enforcing all state and federal laws, which is why we are calling on jailers and sheriffs across the state to volunteer support for our border sheriffs. Working together, we will secure the border and keep our communities safe.”

The governor expressed his desire to arrest “everybody coming across the border.” 

“This order builds upon the Governor’s disaster declaration that directs the Texas Department of Public Safety to enforce all federal and state criminal laws for criminal trespassing, illegal entry, smuggling, and human trafficking.” reads the news release.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article252364603.html

Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday announced that Florida is sending 50 state law enforcement officers to Texas to help enforce the U.S.-Mexico border, though it remains unclear exactly what their mission will be and who will be paying for the effort.

“We are unable to share mission specifics at this time to protect the security of the missions they are working,” said Katie Strickland, a spokeswoman for the governor.

DeSantis said funding the mission has also not been determined.

Oh good, Florida law enforcement going to be running around our border.  And guess who will pay?

“That is still a point of discussion,” DeSantis said at a press conference in Pensacola. “Typically, if someone would help us, you know, we would pick up some of their funding and so that is how we would hope that it goes. But we do not anticipate getting any federal funds.”

“We look forward to seeing them in action. Hopefully I will be able to get out there at some point and wish them well when they are on the ground,” DeSantis said, noting that the officers will be ready to work on Monday.

DeSantis first announced the state would be sending aid to Texas and Arizona to help combat illegal immigration at the U.S.-Mexico border. But his plan was devoid of any detail.

When asked, he did not know how many officers would be going, or what type of work they would be doing, and many of the local sheriff’s offices that DeSantis’ office identified as being committed to the mission told the Times/Herald that they did not have any details, either.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which was coordinating the effort with both states, had yet to nail down details on the mission as of Tuesday, agency spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger said in an email.

tenor.gif?itemid=7362625

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

“We are unable to share mission specifics at this time to protect the security of the missions they are working,”

Uh, politics aside here Governor.....nobody on either side thinks these "border missions" are particularly mysterious or highly secure.  It's state police in military grade boats and armor arresting women and children.  Delta Force, it is not.  Our own south Texas born and bread brave LEO's (many of whom are from Mexico) have been unable to infiltrate these trafficking/smuggling/cartel networks for decades.  But Deputy Buffet from Sarasota is gonna put on some flip-flops, learn Spanish on the plane ride over, and "blend in" with the enemy across the river? 

We've had smart border technology for 20 years that we don't embrace because it doesn't cost enough money.  We don't need more armed police down there, there's no fucking shoot-outs down there.  If we were in constant fire-fights with MS13 or the Juarez cartel, FoxNews could create a spinoff network just to fucking show that to its viewers 24-7.  Physical walls and Florida Sheriffs aren't gonna to solve anything.  The boats seem to help though because of all the drive-in submerge attempts.  Problem is they're so fucking loud, even at idle.  /rant.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Bollilos, dude

But not pan dulce.  That shit is the biggest culinary lie in the world.  They go from "those look delicious!" to "but they taste like dry, semi-sweet crap" in an instant.

They come from my own people, but they continue to make me ragey.  We do a lot of shit well.  Baking is not one of them.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But not pan dulce.  That shit is the biggest culinary lie in the world.  They go from "those look delicious!" to "but they taste like dry, semi-sweet crap" in an instant.

They come from my own people, but they continue to make me ragey.  We do a lot of shit well.  Baking is not one of them.

Thanks for confirming this. I've lived most of my life in Texas by this point, but I've never tried a pan dulce just because they always seem a little food model-y to me.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

We've had smart border technology for 20 years that we don't embrace because it doesn't cost enough money.  We don't need more armed police down there

They've also had the ability to check the papers of everybody working at the numerous home construction sites across Texas (whether it's legal or not is another story), but that might make some Republican donors really angry if they messed with those projects.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

my kids will fight you. they'd probably lose, but they love them some pan dulce, as does the latina wife. they love them some panaderias. not my favorite, but my white ass can't wrap my head around menudo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Physical walls and Florida Sheriffs aren't gonna to solve anything. 

But it makes the old whites feel good.  Because if they weren't so old and fat, they'd be down there taking care of these people themselves.  Someone's gotta get down there and stop the scary brown people.  Can't you people understand that?  What the hell is wrong with you people?

• Rage+1 1

there's nothing to wrap your head around when it comes to menudo.  My uncles would eat buckets of that stuff after a night of hard drinking.  Either you harden up with that shit starting in your teens or you stay the fuck away from until you're dead.  You can't just get all "foodie" in your forties and decide you're gonna make Menudo at home with some wine.  Don't work like that.  I can be swayed to have my mom's caldo once every couple years 

It's like any foreign cuisine that was made out of necessity. They were raised not to waste any parts of the animal, but to watch my aunts and uncles living most of their lives on a western diet in the U.S. after a childhood in Mexico/South Texas and then get together to eat tripas and lengua tacos with a bowl of menudo beforehand, and with a half pack of cigarettes and 6 drinks and I'd think to myself, "Traditions are very important but y'all walk around with this look of just extreme discomfort all the time."  The things they did to my poor mother's toilets over the years.  But I do miss those cookouts with the aunts and uncles.  She came from 9, now there's only 2 left.  And are my mom and my uncle Oscar slowing down food-wise?  FUCK NO, let's do this! 

Just now, Lobo said:

and then get together to eat tripas and lengua tacos with a bowl of menudo beforehand, and with a half pack of cigarettes and 6 drinks

I don't smoke.

But the rest sounds FUCKING AWESOME.

But yeah, I was eating all of that stuff as soon as I was on semi-solid food, so there's that.  Hell, it was a family ritual - my grandfather loved me so much, that the pigs foot he got in his bowl of menudo (a privilege of being the patriarch), he'd fish out and give to me, so I could gnaw that fucker clean.  Pigs foot -- the secret to making a stock with lots of gelatin.

13 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

my kids will fight you. they'd probably lose, but they love them some pan dulce, as does the latina wife. they love them some panaderias. not my favorite, but my white ass can't wrap my head around menudo.

Well, your wife has no taste.

But then, you knew that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

there's nothing to wrap your head around when it comes to menudo.  My uncles would eat buckets of that stuff after a night of hard drinking.  Either you harden up with that shit starting in your teens or you stay the fuck away from until you're dead.  You can't just get all "foodie" in your forties and decide you're gonna make Menudo at home with some wine.  Don't work like that.  I can be swayed to have my mom's caldo once every couple years 

Wrong!

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/139169-Menudo

• Hook 'Em 1