Bill Maher has become the whiny little bitch he complains about

Satchel

I have a genuine question...how did we get Bill Maher?  I mean, Bill Burr was a successful stand-up comedian, but I don't recall what Bill Maher did to land in the public eye.

Just now, DixonHur said:

I have a genuine question...how did we get Bill Maher?  I mean, Bill Burr was a successful stand-up comedian, but I don't recall what Bill Maher did to land in the public eye.

He was a stand up and then got Politically Incorrect in the 90s.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

He was a stand up and then got Politically Incorrect in the 90s.

Thanks. 

That's interesting, I was pretty big into stand-up in the 80's but don't remember him at all.  Maybe he's just never been my cup of tea.

22 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Thanks. 

That's interesting, I was pretty big into stand-up in the 80's but don't remember him at all.  Maybe he's just never been my cup of tea.

He was never a good stand up comic, quite frankly, and still isn't.  I forget how he got Politically Incorrect but it was solid and he got cancelled.  He later reappeared on HBO.  He used to be more libertarian but now he's an old white guy who thinks everything is woke.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Smax said:

"You're like that guy who has a fantasy football team and thinks he's a GM" LOL

The self-described idiot/asshole understands nuance way more than the self-professed intellectual.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He was in tv shows and movies too. Kind of a poor man's Jeremy Piven, IIRC.

Yeah he was from an era where audiences couldn't distinguish smarmy from witty

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Smax said:

"You're like that guy who has a fantasy football team and thinks he's a GM" LOL

This was so brutal I couldn't even finish the clip.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I can't decide where I stand on Burr.  I feel like I've heard him say some stuff back in the day that I would consider maga-adjacent at least, but now he's on the side of the kids in the protests?  Maybe I just haven't heard him enough.

He's actually very liberal, but he does often defend the generations before him that were just working with what the times gave them. Very practical.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I can't decide where I stand on Burr.  I feel like I've heard him say some stuff back in the day that I would consider maga-adjacent at least, but now he's on the side of the kids in the protests?  Maybe I just haven't heard him enough.

I don't think Burr is political. He is really good about pointing out the absurdity when it comes to controversial topics. He tends to tee off on things people take too seriously like Maher thinking of himself as a legitimate intellectual.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The man has overcome being a fully grown human being from Boston. The fact that he's as based as he is is a god damn miracle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Here is quintessential Burr

I like Burr, it's a good joke, but I'm pretty sure he'd lose his shit if some right wing nutter tried to cite him on this to support abortion bans, because it's not a logical or serious argument, it's a joke. Which is why my perception of him is positive, I like that he can make serious stuff like this funny and sometimes unexpected.

33 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

AKA, I made my money so go fuck yourself, poors.

I saw a post the other day that said that "People grow more conservative as they get older" applied to prior generations when most people advanced in their careers and were able to improve their financial status over time, and that's not happening anymore, so it doesn't really apply. There's going to need to be a massive shift in this country in the next decade or so, this model isn't sustainable.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Politically Incorrect was fantastic when it came on Comedy Central right after The Daily Show (with Craig Kilborn).

But, Maher was a pompous windbag even then.  I don't think he's changed, so much as he's just gotten older, richer, and more in awe of himself.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, TexArcher said:

Politically Incorrect was fantastic when it come on Comedy Central right after The Daily Show (with Craig Kilborn).

But, Maher was a pompous windbag even then.  I don't think he's changed, so much as he's just gotten older, richer, and more in awe of himself.

I swear there was a switch thrown right after the 2020 election. He didn't used to spend 90% of his show talking about how shitty democrats are. 

Never watched Politically Incorrect because, frankly, I just didn't like the guy.

I used to see him out from time to time in LA and he just came off like a prick.  I always felt bad for the hookers he had with him... I hope they charged him extra...plus, let's be honest, he's in the Hall of Fame of punchable faces.  

47 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Never watched Politically Incorrect because, frankly, I just didn't like the guy.

I used to see him out from time to time in LA and he just came off like a prick.  I always felt bad for the hookers he had with him... I hope they charged him extra...plus, let's be honest, he's in the Hall of Fame of punchable faces.  

Saw him outside of marmont one night and I was shocked how tiny he was.  Just a wittle cunty guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Politically Incorrect was fantastic when it came on Comedy Central right after The Daily Show (with Craig Kilborn).

I saw it live when the GOP convention was in San Diego in '96.  It was super funny.  Chris Rock was on it. 

And holy shit...I flew into SAN the day before the convention started...returning from a business trip.  There was a shitload of whores in the airport, flying into town to service the pious, moral GOP. 

I saw a live show of PI in probably 1998. Steven Wright was on the show. After it was over we were in the parking lot and Steven walked up and got in the car parked next to ours. Some very beat up piece of shit, that looked like he might have been living in. It was very odd. 

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I saw a live show of PI in probably 1998. Steven Wright was on the show. After it was over we were in the parking lot and Steven walked up and got in the car parked next to ours. Some very beat up piece of shit, that looked like he might have been living in. It was very odd. 

This is my not shocked face. He always looked homeless.  Loved his standup though. 

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is my not shocked face. He always looked homeless.  Loved his standup though. 

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

half baked nod GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2