How did we lose control of our economy to 14 yr olds living outside of Moscow?

Randolph Duke

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What, you think our hackers are so innocent?  

Our entire economy is held captive by a half dozen nerds outside of Moscow and no one within the U.S. military or “intelligence” community has a clue how to deal with them.

Six Russian teenagers on laptops bought from Amazon have entirely dominated our defense establishment and hold our economy in their hands. 

How in God’s name did the U.S. defense establishment get so neutered? 

Edited by Randolph Duke

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

Our entire economy is held captive by a half dozen nerds outside of Moscow and no one within the U.S. military or “intelligence” community has a clue how to deal with them. 

Because they were told to stand down  in regards to Russia for the last 4 years.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

Guest Lobo
Just now, Randolph Duke said:

Neutered is a good word for what happened.  But we can't talk about how we got here because it might hurt the feelings of some snowflakes.  While we were busy vilifying lab workers and latinos, somebody else went to coding school.  How long can we advertise our infrastructure vulnerabilities before a classroom full of guys in track suits gets their shit together because they've got a friend in high places overseas?  We were ordered to stand down.  This is the result.  It's not a conspiracy hypothetical, it's third prize at coding camp.  

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Let me tell you about active measures...

I’d rather you tell me about effective measures but in today’s military, all anyone knows is how to throw a trillion dollars against goat herders to keep them from riding their camels across 12,000 miles of ocean to attack our shores. 

But six 14 year olds in their parents’ basements in the suburbs of Moscow are a technological level far above the capabilities of the U.S. military.

Again, why the fuck are these “military” idiots on the government payroll? 

Edited by Randolph Duke

7 minutes ago, staboner said:

lulz. this shit is always happening. just a matter of time till its the big one. 

What about shutting down major parts of our economy with us completely helpless to defend against doesn’t say “big one” to you? 

This is literally six teenagers on laptops in their parents’ basements holding our economy hostage and no one in the entire U.S. “military” or “intelligence” community having a clue how to react.

It is stunning. 

The entire military establishment completely clueless about what to do. 

Against teenagers on laptops. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

so, you've ridden the "14 year olds in their parent's basements" angle about as far as it will go.  

No one in the “military” or “intelligence” community has a clue how to react to any of this. 

What do you want to counter with? 

“Two of then turn 15 this fall?”

We have absolutely no national defense against children on laptops bought on credit from Amazon. 

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

What about shutting down major parts of our economy with us completely helpless to defend against doesn’t say “big one” to you? 

This is literally six teenagers on laptops in their parents’ basements holding our economy hostage and no one in the entire U.S. “military” or “intelligence” community having a clue how to react.

It is stunning. 

yes man we know. did you just now discover cyber warfare? no one knows shit about is/isn't the big one. do you expect the american government to be on top of any of this? what is exactly so shocking here to you?

Our “national security” establishment hasn’t effectively adapted to these threats. We are still running a bloated conventional military based foreign policy.  

The State Department and intelligence agencies have been gutted by bad actors.  I mean, our catastrophic responses to the pandemic and climate change should have told ya out front, we are vulnerable af. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, staboner said:

yes man we know. did you just now discover cyber warfare? no one knows shit about is/isn't the big one. do you expect the american government to be on top of any of this? what is exactly so shocking here to you?

We have no choice but to keep paying tribute to foreign enemies.

It is what it is. 

What happened to “millions for Defence, not one cent for tribute”?

All we do these days is spend trillions to keep goat herders from attacking us with hoards of amphibious camels and spend millions on tribute to Russian children on Chinese financed laptops as ransom.

And did I insult the CCP, oh, I’m sorry. God knows, no one in the U.S. ever speak out for freedom and against the CCP. 

Yay America! 

Edited by Randolph Duke

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Lost what? 

When our infrastructure is controlled by Russian teenagers on laptops and we are are forced to pay millions in ransom to operate our economy, pretty much whatever the Russians want. 

How much have we paid them so far? 

Fuck America. We’ve lost. 

Our “defense” establishment is clueless

Fuck those bastards. They failed us. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

95% of this shit is avoidable if 

1. Idiots quit clicking on random shit in their email from unknown sources. 

2. IT departments keep their shit patched. 

Yet six 14 yr olds hold the U.S. economy hostage at will.

It doesn’t matter how “avoidable” it is when they own us and we have no option other than paying tribute.

Edited by Randolph Duke

57 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Donald Trump protecting Russia is inconceivable to you?

"At a summit on June 16, Biden warned Russian President Putin that 16 types of critical infrastructure -- including food and agriculture, emergency services and health care -- were off limits to future attacks. It’s not yet known if the U.S. victims of the latest ransomware attack fell within those sectors"

So what is Biden's next move? If he does nothing is he protecting Russia?

Edited by lmao

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Six Russian teenagers on laptops bought from Amazon have entirely dominated our defense establishment and hold our economy in their hands. 

The reason we are here is because the defense contractors make their money off of steel and lead.  They have been downplaying these kind of attacks for years, comparing them to old 80s computer nerd movies.   They have been selling us the finest horses and wagons while Germany was building tanks.  It's the same tack for fighting global warming, ignore it and shake and bake excuses when it does happen.

We lost it when we all decided we needed more stuff at a lower price, and started depending on computers  and technology.  We survived in the 70s without  those things.  Things were done by phone, placing orders and such.  But as more companies grew and started chains they replaced people with technology.   Now we have kids who can't make change for a 20 without the register telling them how much.    

We can and should go back to some of that, until we can build a secure system.  But follow the money.  That attack on that big meat packer for example.  It wouldn't affect so many people if it were several smaller companies spread across the country, each independent.  But when you put all your eggs in one basket, then you are asking for trouble.

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 3

Maybe we should admit we have gone as a nation from “not one cent in tribute” to “please, what must we pay you.”
Fuck this nation. We’ve lost.
Ballgame!!

You fucking weirdo

It is stunning. 

No one in the “military” or “intelligence” community has a clue how to react to any of this. 

We have absolutely no national defense against children on laptops bought on credit from Amazon. 

It's not a bunch of fucking teenagers, it's a bunch of folks, probably state-sponsored at some level, or at least the state is turning a blind eye, who are quite good at what they do.  In another country, they might have formed a very reputable security company that gets paid a lot of money by other companies to see that this shit doesn't happen.

But they are in another country that, at the very least is turning a blind eye to them, and it's an extremely efficient money-making operation.

These are pros dude.  These aren't Mountain Dew-swilling teens who are hacking shit in between rounds of Fortnite or whatever is popular these days.

• Hook 'Em 2

So how bad did you or your company get hacked?

Right.

RD needs to stick to bitching about Aggie. He has no idea what he is talking about in this thread.

FYI. It’s not 14 year old nerds in a Moscow basement dumbass

There's this great time-waster game called geo-guessr. Basically you get dropped off somewhere in the world and then you have to figure out where you are on Google Maps street view. It loves to tump you into countries with Cyrillic alphabets because it's a little bit harder to figure out where you are. I've become kind of addicted to the game and I've been in Russia about 20 times. The scenery ranges from post-apocalyptic -- think Chicago housing projects falling to pieces but surrounding no actual city, just in the middle of some forlorn steppe -- to the "east side" of an American city at best. A deep state friend of mine, a security analyst / Army War College grad,  spent some time traveling the backroads there and said it was basically like America circa 1900 in most places. Basically it's a giant Mexico with nukes. And they love to fuck with us, but they are not some fucking existential threat no matter how often our leaders say "boo" about them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

95% of this shit is avoidable if 

1. Idiots quit clicking on random shit in their email from unknown sources. 

2. IT departments keep their shit patched. 

Over the past year, my company has been making everyone take these internet security "training classes", we have 2 step log-in for just about everything and it's a giant pain in the ass, even the CEO has bitched about it.

Then yesterday at 10AM, a malware warning popped up on my and everyone else's screens. Excel closed down but no biggie right?

By 11AM, email goes out to everyone to EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY...

treat yo self — 'shut it down' → 30 rock

... disconnect from the network, turn off your computer, take the rest of the day off because nobody's getting shit done anyway. A few emails and texts from the company say to stay off the network.

So yeah... I think we've been hacked.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Go read this.

It's not perfect (it's very light on details for security reasons), but it should dissuade you of the notion that it's a bunch of teenagers.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-full-story-of-the-stunning-rsa-hack-can-finally-be-told/

And don't be surprised if there are one or more insiders (disgruntled employees) involved at some point in all of this.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

There's this great time-waster game called geo-guessr. Basically you get dropped off somewhere in the world and then you have to figure out where you are on Google Maps street view. It loves to tump you into countries with Cyrillic alphabets because it's a little bit harder to figure out where you are. I've become kind of addicted to the game and I've been in Russia about 20 times. The scenery ranges from post-apocalyptic -- think Chicago housing projects falling to pieces but surrounding no actual city, just in the middle of some forlorn steppe -- to the "east side" of an American city at best. A deep state friend of mine, a security analyst / Army War College grad,  spent some time traveling the backroads there and said it was basically like America circa 1900 in most places. Basically it's a giant Mexico with nukes. And they love to fuck with us, but they are not some fucking existential threat no matter how often our leaders say "boo" about them. 

Geo-guessr is completely awesome.  Agree that they intentionally dump you into Eastern-European countries so the street signs are harder to decipher.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Geo-guessr is completely awesome.  Agree that they intentionally dump you into Eastern-European countries so the street signs are harder to decipher.

Fucking Montenegro and North Macedonia...I wish a modern day Tito would just come back and smash them back into one country. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Fucking Montenegro and North Macedonia...I wish a modern day Tito would just come back and smash them back into one country. 

The game is like crack.  If it’s somewhere I’ve been I can nail it down to within a few blocks. South America and Asia I am fucked because I haven’t spent a lot of time in either.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The game is like crack.  If it’s somewhere I’ve been I can nail it down to within a few blocks. South America and Asia I am fucked because I haven’t spent a lot of time in either.

My son, who hooked me on to it, calls eastern European nations the "bad grass countries," which makes us sound like Native Americans, but we are not. But they are Bad Grass Countries. 

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It should be.   Crypto is at best a purely speculative investment vehicle with no inherent worth, and for the bad people it’s a way to make cybercrime more effective.   The risk/reward to society doesn’t add up at all.

Pls don't turn this ji

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Go read this.

It's not perfect (it's very light on details for security reasons), but it should dissuade you of the notion that it's a bunch of teenagers.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-full-story-of-the-stunning-rsa-hack-can-finally-be-told/

And don't be surprised if there are one or more insiders (disgruntled employees) involved at some point in all of this.

I don't why he thinks these are a bunch of script kiddies in their parents basement. Like you pointed out they're pros doing well planned attacks who most likely have direct or indirect state sponsorship. 

9 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Plenty of people in the miltitary have a clue how to deal with it. They can't because funding isn't there. Our cyber defense systems were woefully inadequate long before the calls of "the last 4 years" have been blaring....