How did we lose control of our economy to 14 yr olds living outside of Moscow?

Randolph Duke

Guest Lobo

Is there any money left in the Tank Fund?  

We have 6,300 tank vehicles for an armored land war that's never coming.  Meanwhile, you can hack into any U.S. power grid at your leisure.  

I'm from a military family, I'm as ra-ra as they get when it comes to our Armed Forces...but we're not vulnerable because of funding dude.

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Is there any money left in the Tank Fund?  

We have 6,300 tank vehicles for an armored land war that's never coming.  Meanwhile, you can hack into any U.S. power grid at your leisure.  

I'm from a military family, I'm as ra-ra as they get when it comes to our Armed Forces...but we're not vulnerable because of funding dude.

Yeah we are. It's almost always a funding issue. Your first line sums it up, and the last decade has only pointed out how we are behind the 8 ball in regard to fighting wars with un traditional foes.

Programs can't be undertaken without monetary funding. There are those in the military who are fully aware of the issues, causes, and solutions. That's all I will say about that.

9 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

When our infrastructure is controlled by Russian teenagers on laptops and we are are forced to pay millions in ransom to operate our economy, pretty much whatever the Russians want. 

How much have we paid them so far? 

Fuck America. We’ve lost. 

Our “defense” establishment is clueless

Fuck those bastards. They failed us. 

Real question alert:  Are you talking about hackers hacking into private company computer systems? 

I'm no computer expert but that would seem to be the realm of that company's IT department and their security system.  

Are we supposed to me monitoring or controlling IP addresses in Russia?  Do we do that?  

I think the defense establishment is concerned with weapons and stuff.  Maybe they should be more involved with the more mundane stuff like gas pipelines and water distribution systems and the like.  But I have no idea how that works.  Do you know?

Last, as already mentioned, there are countless videos of Trump saying he knows for fact Russia isn't involved in any of this, since Putin told him so.  It's going to take more than 6 months to repair that damage.

49 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Plenty of people in the miltitary have a clue how to deal with it. They can't because funding isn't there. Our cyber defense systems were woefully inadequate long before the calls of "the last 4 years" have been blaring....

So you acknowledge there was a problem over four years ago?  A Mt. Rushmore-level president would have fixed that, wouldn't he?  Trump seemed obsessed in undoing anything B. Hussein Obama did, didn't he?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

So you acknowledge there was a problem over four years ago?  A Mt. Rushmore-level president would have fixed that, wouldn't he?  Trump seemed obsessed in undoing anything B. Hussein Obama did, didn't he?

It was a problem before Trump was in office, it was a problem while he was in office, and it's still a problem now.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

Over the past year, my company has been making everyone take these internet security "training classes", we have 2 step log-in for just about everything and it's a giant pain in the ass, even the CEO has bitched about it.

Then yesterday at 10AM, a malware warning popped up on my and everyone else's screens. Excel closed down but no biggie right?

By 11AM, email goes out to everyone to EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY...

treat yo self — 'shut it down' → 30 rock

... disconnect from the network, turn off your computer, take the rest of the day off because nobody's getting shit done anyway. A few emails and texts from the company say to stay off the network.

So yeah... I think we've been hacked.

Our CEO clicked on a "20% off Walgreens photo processing" link.  Oops.

We get bombarded with phishing emails now.  Some of them are really good, not like the old days.

My company started a anti-phishing campaign. The same morons you think would click the link or enter their password kept doing it. Even after years of training and awareness rollouts. The idiots still clicked. Gladys is going to continue to click until she’s dead or fired. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Ten years our CIO presented his annual cyber security update to the BoD. In it, he identified that one of the biggest threats to our company was lax security practices by the c-suite execs. They were horrible about leaving their laptops unsecured, losing thumb drives and iPads containing sensitive information, sharing log in info w/ their spouses & children, etc. The exec IT support team was at their wits end & drafted simple guidelines to share with the EVPs and SVPs to diplomatically tell them not to be so fucking careless.

After six months of trying they decided it was easier to essentially ban them from flying commercial and keep them flying on the corporate fleet so they could at least keep eyes on the PC bags and cases more of the time. I think one EVP lost 3 iPads on commercial airliners in a six week period.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I got one this week that was fairly convincing. But it jus felt weird that Microsoft would be notifying me of changes to company files so I scrutinized. No Microsoft logo, and the email came from a domain something like noreply@msshareapp.com. Then when I mouse over any link, they all went to the same place and it was an alphabet garbage url. Only real url was the Microsoft privacy statement at the bottom that they linked- which of course uses the Microsoft.com site. 

sent it to IT and the response was yeah we have been getting a lot, just delete it. 

16 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Ten years our CIO presented his annual cyber security update to the BoD. In it, he identified that one of the biggest threats to our company was lax security practices by the c-suite execs. They were horrible about leaving their laptops unsecured, losing thumb drives and iPads containing sensitive information, sharing log in info w/ their spouses & children, etc. The exec IT support team was at their wits end & drafted simple guidelines to share with the EVPs and SVPs to diplomatically tell them not to be so fucking careless.

After six months of trying they decided it was easier to essentially ban them from flying commercial and keep them flying on the corporate fleet so they could at least keep eyes on the PC bags and cases more of the time. I think one EVP lost 3 iPads on commercial airliners in a six week period.

This is incredibly accurate. It really is amazing how awful so many senior people are with technology in general. 

I had a c-suite boss who was very particular about her paper. She had a heavy hand with the editing pen, and I do mean pen. We’d all have to decipher her handwritten notes.

When Covid hit and we went near full telework for a bit, we thought she’d learn the track changes function or at least how to email an attachment. Nope.

We all started getting texts with photos of the handwritten notes and corrections on the paper she printed out.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

46 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

My company started a anti-phishing campaign. The same morons you think would click the link or enter their password kept doing it. Even after years of training and awareness rollouts. The idiots still clicked. Gladys is going to continue to click until she’s dead or fired. 

Mine too. It doesn't matter how obvious the simulated phish is, about 20% of the company will always click on it. 

I always like it when I get a skype or call from someone, "hey, should I click on this email from 'yourbank.notascam.com? It says my account has been compromised". 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Not c-suite employee, but who the fuck just 'loses' a work  ipad; I mean besides some 23 year old noob?  That's just fucking crazy.

LOLz at giving out log-on credentials. My wife knows all of my account info for virtually anything personal. Nobody's guessing my work shit.  Hell, sometimes I can't even remember( which sports figure or rock band I am currently using.)

The real reason shit like this keeps happening over and over has nothing to do with Russian teenagers, or foreign countries, or whatnot.

It's because a lot of companies and industry have decided to cheap out on IT, whether it be hardware, human costs, software, etc. in the name of profits.

You want shit secure?  You pay.

You want profits?  You cross your fingers and hope whatever you are doing today is good enough to secure you for tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

so, you've ridden the "14 year olds in their parent's basements" angle about as far as it will go.  

Is this like Super Troopers? Some one bet you how many posts you could create with the phrase “14 year olds with laptops” included in it?

Ain't that the truth. Our CEO in the aughts famously professed that he hated IT because it always "cost twice what is budgeted to implement and yields half the results promised." That mentality hamstrung the corporation for half a decade if not twice that long since some segments of the businesses are still playing catch up.

Nobody gets a blank check, but the needs were known & well documented. He kicked the can down the street.

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Because it’s only an issue from that term? This is insanely stupid

You are correct that it’s not limited to Trump.  The entire Republican party, via the NRA, is indebted to the Rooskies.  Sorry for singling out the guy who has been laundering Russian mob money for decades.

The very nerds, weirdos, and outcasts that can combat this shit for our country are the same ones the GOP doesn’t think belong in “our military”; mocking the military when they try to outreach these folks. 

the GOP fetish of the military needing to be a bunch of hard GI Joe types is antiquated and leaves us vulnerable. 

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You are correct that it’s not limited to Trump.  The entire Republican party, via the NRA, is indebted to the Rooskies.  Sorry for singling out the guy who has been laundering Russian mob money for decades.

Whatever helps you sleep at night….that doesn’t begin to scratch the surface of the issue. 

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is incredibly accurate. It really is amazing how awful so many senior people are with technology in general. 

I had a c-suite boss who was very particular about her paper. She had a heavy hand with the editing pen, and I do mean pen. We’d all have to decipher her handwritten notes.

When Covid hit and we went near full telework for a bit, we thought she’d learn the track changes function or at least how to email an attachment. Nope.

We all started getting texts with photos of the handwritten notes and corrections on the paper she printed out.

Past interns for Norm Hitzges (radio personality on 1310 the Ticket in DFW) routinely tell stories about how for years when Norm would get emails he would have the interns print them out to read, then hand write a response to them and then the interns would take his handwritten response and type them back into the original email for the response. Norm is 76 and finally sounds like he figured it out, but still...

17 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Past interns for Norm Hitzges (radio personality on 1310 the Ticket in DFW) routinely tell stories about how for years when Norm would get emails he would have the interns print them out to read, then hand write a response to them and then the interns would take his handwritten response and type them back into the original email for the response. Norm is 76 and finally sounds like he figured it out, but still...

Yeah, I expect that from a real old, this woman is late 40s to maybe 50 at most. 

She was hell on wheels, she would also make her secretary print out emails and drive them to her during COVID. 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Based on past posts I believe we may work for the same mega-corporation. I know of two people that have been shit-canned for repeatedly failing those tests. Neither one was any kind of loss.  

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Based on past posts I believe we may work for the same mega-corporation. I know of two people that have been shit-canned for repeatedly failing those tests. Neither one was any kind of loss.  

Ha possibly, but I choose to leave recently. Corporate burnout. There will always be some idiot named Phyllis or Gladys or Gerry that will click on that link. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like you need to filter emails better.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah we are. It's almost always a funding issue. Your first line sums it up, and the last decade has only pointed out how we are behind the 8 ball in regard to fighting wars with un traditional foes.

Programs can't be undertaken without monetary funding. There are those in the military who are fully aware of the issues, causes, and solutions. That's all I will say about that.

Or maybe the companies themselves can up their security game. You know, personal responsibility and stuff.

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Or maybe the companies themselves can up their security game. You know, personal responsibility and stuff.

Yeah, that should have been the first thing done.  Your point ?  This is a bigger issue than a corporation being hijacked.

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Lose iPad on commercial flight > do it again > do it again > fly on private jet.

Who wants to go to Seattle (to beat some ass) with me?

7 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

welp.....

https://fas.org/irp/budget/

4 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Ain't that the truth. Our CEO in the aughts famously professed that he hated IT because it always "cost twice what is budgeted to implement and yields half the results promised." That mentality hamstrung the corporation for half a decade if not twice that long since some segments of the businesses are still playing catch up.

Nobody gets a blank check, but the needs were known & well documented. He kicked the can down the street.

the vast majority of business people, north of 80%, believe software is magic and runs itself.

3 hours ago, yoladu said:

The very nerds, weirdos, and outcasts that can combat this shit for our country are the same ones the GOP doesn’t think belong in “our military”; mocking the military when they try to outreach these folks. 

the GOP fetish of the military needing to be a bunch of hard GI Joe types is antiquated and leaves us vulnerable. 

we have 100,000 fully trained tanned rested and ready cyberwarriors that can combat this shit for our country, they are all over the age of 30, they live down the street and you would never know what they do for a living by looking at them, and we will never deploy them until the .01% (the banks) are threatened in fear of revealing their (our) capability in the name of NATIONAL SECURITY.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Not c-suite employee, but who the fuck just 'loses' a work  ipad; I mean besides some 23 year old noob?  That's just fucking crazy.

LOLz at giving out log-on credentials. My wife knows all of my account info for virtually anything personal. Nobody's guessing my work shit.  Hell, sometimes I can't even remember( which sports figure or rock band I am currently using.)

There was a director I used to work with who travelled internationally a lot.  He lost a personal item of some kind at every hotel he stayed at. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Lose iPad on commercial flight > do it again > do it again > fly on private jet.
Who wants to go to Seattle (to beat some ass) with me?
Oh yeah, everyone knew that was his angle. Not that he had to fly commercial much even before he started leaving his iPad in the back of the plane seat.

He was a Spaniard so he had no concept of time. The meetings ran when he arrived & when he wanted to leave, no matter what was on the schedule. He was a PhD, brilliant in some regards, but I also wouldn't have trusted him to feed my dog. One of our jets had to make a 3 city milk run in order to pick up his tux and passport before a VIP event he'd been aware of for 3 months.

Perhaps Randolph can setup a commission in his aggy counter research facility to see if they are connected to these highly trained, basement-dwelling, 14 year olds from Russia. Randolph this is the opportunity you have been waiting for with all that time you spend focused on aggy. Tie it all together for us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The truest words I've ever heard spoken were from a colleague of mine who reminded me that to people who are used to the jet leaving when they get on board, different rules apply.

They don't lose shit, they just expect the people who follow around and wipe their ass all day to find it & fix their mistakes. These are brilliant people, you see, and their time & brainpower isn't to be wasted on banality.
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So the national security of the nation is something that Congress just isn't going to deal with huh ?  Interesting.

Well, the Republicans didn't do it when they held the presidency, and they certainly won't allow a Democrat in office to take credit for it being passed during his presidency, so when will it be done? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

Well, the Republicans didn't do it when they held the presidency, and they certainly won't allow a Democrat in office to take credit for it being passed during his presidency, so when will it be done? 

This is most definitely not a republican/democrat issue.

This is national security, it has nothing to do with party affiliation, neither party has recognized the danger that cyber threats pose, and those that work in the branches of the military that do deal with it are well aware of what can be done, what should be done, and what isn't being done.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we have 100,000 fully trained tanned rested and ready cyberwarriors that can combat this shit for our country, they are all over the age of 30, they live down the street and you would never know what they do for a living by looking at them, and we will never deploy them until the .01% (the banks) are threatened in fear of revealing their (our) capability in the name of NATIONAL SECURITY.

Gamify the problem. Market the game and let gamers hunt bugs while they think they are playing a game.  Pay the best players handsomely. Create market of gamified tasks. Everyone needs a purpose.

Or just replace the humans.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, slorch said:

Lol at thinking the 23 year old is losing the technology and not the old fart exec who should have retired a half decade ago.  Never change, slorch the boomer. Noob. Quit trying to be cool

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lol at thinking the 23 year old is losing the technology and not the old fart exec who should have retired a half decade ago.  Never change, slorch the boomer. Noob. Quit trying to be cool

Meh.   I’m no boomer…and yeah, it’s the noobs who lose/ break shit, generally speaking.  It’s a fact of life.

Not sorry.  Lolz.