How did we lose control of our economy to 14 yr olds living outside of Moscow?

Randolph Duke

2 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

Well, the Republicans didn't do it when they held the presidency, and they certainly won't allow a Democrat in office to take credit for it being passed during his presidency, so when will it be done? 

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

This us most definitely not a republican demcrtat issue.

This is national security, it has nothing to do with party affiliation, neither party has recognized the danger that cyber threats  poses, and those that work in that branch of the military are well aware of what can be done, what should be done, and what isn't being done.

Or, and hear me out on this, those in Congress are, along with the rest of us, hoping for more Fappening-style events.

Or it could simply be that the kinds of things being talked to secure corporate networks would require the government getting inside said corporate networks, and corporations, while they hate the hacking, hate the idea of letting a bunch of government types officially mess around with their networks even more.  It would also get very expensive, as standards rapidly evolve and software changes.

When you are building a large structure (to use an example very much on the public's mind), say one of the buildings in a downtown area, you have plenty of inspectors taking a look to make sure, as best they can, that it's being built to the best standards available, both to protect the lives of those who will be using it, plus if it comes down, it could take out buildings and kill lots of people around it.  When you build such a building, there's not much that will wreck it, and so you don't have government inspectors wandering around at all hours of the day after it's built.  

A fresh coat of paint or some new furniture or a new resident is not going to destroy the integrity of the building.

With a corporate network, there are constantly new devices being added, software updates, etc., that can change and even compromise the integrity of the network.

Trying to have the government "do something" would require a massive new bureaucracy that in and of itself would be another way to compromise a corporate network, and corporations would have to spend more and more money securing their shit as the government rolls out various standards.

Better to let private companies work their shit out - if they fuck around, they can get hacked and their stock suffers.  

Publicly humiliate them, open them up to lawsuits, and they should get their shit together.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

There's another angle or three about why corporations wouldn't (and shouldn't) want the government involved:

1. We can't trust our government to not abuse any access they gain to corporate networks.  They have an established history proving that they will spy on private citizens/organizations with little oversight.  Giving them official access to corporate networks, yeah somebody in the government is going to abuse that.
  2. Our own government gets its own hacking and penetration testing tools stolen and then used against American companies.
  3. The government can't secure their own shit (see SolarWinds hack).
  • Hook 'Em 2

The reason we are here is because the defense contractors make their money off of steel and lead.  They have been downplaying these kind of attacks for years, comparing them to old 80s computer nerd movies.   They have been selling us the finest horses and wagons while Germany was building tanks.  It's the same tack for fighting global warming, ignore it and shake and bake excuses when it does happen.
We lost it when we all decided we needed more stuff at a lower price, and started depending on computers  and technology.  We survived in the 70s without  those things.  Things were done by phone, placing orders and such.  But as more companies grew and started chains they replaced people with technology.   Now we have kids who can't make change for a 20 without the register telling them how much.    
We can and should go back to some of that, until we can build a secure system.  But follow the money.  That attack on that big meat packer for example.  It wouldn't affect so many people if it were several smaller companies spread across the country, each independent.  But when you put all your eggs in one basket, then you are asking for trouble.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 2

Meh.   I’m no boomer…and yeah, it’s the noobs who lose/ break shit, generally speaking.  It’s a fact of life.

Not sorry.  Lolz.
No doubt that noobs lose & break shit of insignificance. If memory serves, you're in large scale geocery/retail sales. A youngster is gonna fuck up a display or run a pallet jack through some crates. You write that off as breakage. It happens all day, everyday. It doesn't threaten your operations.

When an EVP at a Fortune company can't keep track of his shit because he expects someone else to do it for him, there are problems. A misplaced thumb drive can be a nine figure mistake.
  • Hook 'Em 1

When Russia started clamping down on the internet, it wasn’t just a move against internal dissidents, it was also preparation for an upcoming war. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was spurred on by early attempts by the U.S. to mess with the Russians.

48 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

No doubt that noobs lose & break shit of insignificance. If memory serves, you're in large scale geocery/retail sales. A youngster is gonna fuck up a display or run a pallet jack through some crates. You write that off as breakage. It happens all day, everyday. It doesn't threaten your operations.

When an EVP at a Fortune company can't keep track of his shit because he expects someone else to do it for him, there are problems. A misplaced thumb drive can be a nine figure mistake.

I'm not talking frontline folks.  I'm talking newhire managers.

Gotdammit.  You motherfuckers love theoreticals while the real world runs over your shit stories.  I grasp the value/ gravity of someone losing their devices.  It's frustrating as fuck for someone else to tell me my business.  SMDH.

I say again, it's dumber than fuck to lose any of that shit.  Regardless of age.

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So the national security of the nation is something that Congress just isn't going to deal with huh ?  Interesting.

You're gotdamn right.  And it ain't us tax and spend Democrats that are the problem. We love being the gubbermint that does all.  It's ya boy Moscow Mitch that won't act unless the NRA greases his palms.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This all day long.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Better to let private companies work their shit out - if they fuck around, they can get hacked and their stock suffers.  

This. Everyone clamoring for government intervention doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about. It's just a "do something!" knee-jerk reaction.

The reality is private company networks while flawed run better and more securely with more talent than the government ones.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Geo-guessr is completely awesome.  Agree that they intentionally dump you into Eastern-European countries so the street signs are harder to decipher.

23 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Fucking Montenegro and North Macedonia...I wish a modern day Tito would just come back and smash them back into one country. 

23 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My son, who hooked me on to it, calls eastern European nations the "bad grass countries," which makes us sound like Native Americans, but we are not. But they are Bad Grass Countries. 

so you are the guys that downloaded the ransomware from geo-guesser?

There's this great time-waster game called geo-guessr. Basically you get dropped off somewhere in the world and then you have to figure out where you are on Google Maps street view. It loves to tump you into countries with Cyrillic alphabets because it's a little bit harder to figure out where you are. I've become kind of addicted to the game and I've been in Russia about 20 times. The scenery ranges from post-apocalyptic -- think Chicago housing projects falling to pieces but surrounding no actual city, just in the middle of some forlorn steppe -- to the "east side" of an American city at best. A deep state friend of mine, a security analyst / Army War College grad,  spent some time traveling the backroads there and said it was basically like America circa 1900 in most places. Basically it's a giant Mexico with nukes. And they love to fuck with us, but they are not some fucking existential threat no matter how often our leaders say "boo" about them. 

I’ve been to the exactly one post-Soviet republic. Within a couple of hours, it clicked, and I commented to the fam “oh….this is Russian Mexico.”

But…never underestimate how much damage some second world shitheels with computers can do.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Shit, I can barely stomach dealing with my actual work emails. Miss me with clicking on anything from anyone who I don’t know.

Fyi, it is incredibly easy to spoof email addresses. In fact, I would say making it look like someone you know is emailing you is one of the most common ways to conduct these phishing operations. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 11:51 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah, I expect that from a real old, this woman is late 40s to maybe 50 at most. 

She was hell on wheels, she would also make her secretary print out emails and drive them to her during COVID. 

This is where "Eccentric Quirk" morphs into "Sociopathic Flex."

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

This is most definitely not a republican/democrat issue.

This is national security, it has nothing to do with party affiliation, neither party has recognized the danger that cyber threats pose, and those that work in the branches of the military that do deal with it are well aware of what can be done, what should be done, and what isn't being done.

Immigration and border security are also national security issues.

How's bi-partisan legislation going on that front?

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You misspelled enforcement.

25 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Enforcement cannot begin to address those issues. Our current laws are nearly 40 years old and completely inadequate. 

Wake me when Republicans in Congress decides to force the IRS and Social Security Administration to get a lot more serious about multiple people using SS ID #'s (different fucking names even), and when Republicans Congress starts getting serious about punishing companies who seem to have a serious knack for hiring shitloads of illegals.

Republicans would rather build a wall that doesn't do shit, than do something like, I dunno, start nailing companies run by their donors, who are hiring boatloads of illegals, especially here in Texas.  Abbott walks around foaming at the mouth about all this law enforcement doing all this stuff right at the border, while conveniently ignoring all of the construction companies run/owned by Republicans who are well away from the border and hiring lots and lots of those folks.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Let's divide the issue into two parts: 

A. Illegal economic immigrants

B. Asylum seeks 

I’m cool with starting on either front.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

One side wants to patrol the border, and know who's here.  The other side wants to let anyone, and everyone in....

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

One side wants to patrol the border, and know who's here.  The other side wants to let anyone, and everyone in....

Hey man, Bob "No Relation" Perry maybe dead and buried, but the companies he passed on to his family still have plenty of cheaper houses that aren't going to build themselves.

38 minutes ago, slorch said:

I’m cool with starting on either front.

OK, let's start with the asylum seekers.  Are you OK with letting in people who are escaping situations where they very likely might die if not admitted?

17 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A simple approach and worldview.

20 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

OK, let's start with the asylum seekers.  Are you OK with letting in people who are escaping situations where they very likely might die if not admitted?

Is that currently allowed under US legislation, regarding political asylum?

Survey says...YES it is.

Save yourself the pedantic bullshit and fast forward to the current immigration laws NOT being enforced.

Edited by slorch

44 minutes ago, slorch said:

Survey says...YES it is.

Save yourself the pedantic bullshit and fast forward to the current immigration laws NOT being enforced.

Have you ever encountered a situation when you've suspected illegal immigrants were being employed, slorch? What did you do?

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Have you ever encountered a situation when you've suspected illegal immigrants were being employed, slorch? What did you do?

I call ICE…I pull over all speeders too.  

Is your point that a non- agent of the law is’t deporting them so nobody can?

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

I call ICE…I pull over all speeders too.  

Is your point that a non- agent of the law is’t deporting them so nobody can?

No one's suggesting you pull over speeders. As a commercial truck driver I've called 911 multiple times to report on suspected drunk drivers and road-ragers. If illegal immigration is such an egegious violation of the law and such a dire threat to this country we're willing to orphan hundreds of kids and expend untold billions in monumental, ineffective construction projects, it's certainly worth dropping a dime on your friends, family, neighbors, and business associates. 

IF this is the case

THEN this is what you would be doing

BUT we all know it's not the case

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

No one's suggesting you pull over speeders. As a commercial truck driver I've called 911 multiple times to report on suspected drunk drivers and road-ragers. If illegal immigration is such an egegious violation of the law and such a dire threat to this country we're willing to orphan hundreds of kids and expend untold billions in monumental, ineffective construction projects, it's certainly worth dropping a dime on your friends, family, neighbors, and business associates. 

IF this is the case

THEN this is what you would be doing

BUT we all know it's not the case

Enforcing the law has zero to do with how much slorch wants or does not want to stop it, so give that line of thought a fucking break. 
I’ve never reported indecency with a child, manslaughter, murder, embezzlement, you name it. I’ll probably don’t care much about those laws either right?

enforce the laws. Go…

and ‘ seperating irphans from their parents’ is one if my favorite concepts ever. Roll eyes at the tired lines of bullshit

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Enforcing the law has zero to do with how much sliech wants or does not want to stop it, so give that line of thought a fucking break. 

enforce the laws. Go…

Enforce the laws against people and businesses employing undocumented workers. 

Go . . .

i'm shocked that on the surl there is not one other person willing to identify themselves as understanding and acknowledging the points i've made in this thread

it's okay to talk about it, everyone is oblivious to it, literally 99.9999999% of your countrymen have no fucking clue

but on the surl i would expect better

snowden did for the boys what they could never do for themselves, kind of like aggy slept themselves when we would have never been able to do it if it was our idea

instead, a thread about one of the most critical issues of our time devolves in to self-slorching in the 3rd person and wheels virtue signalling

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Survey says...YES it is.

• Hook 'Em 3

The same people that cry about border security are the same people that cry about labor shortage 

They want to live in a magical world where there are no illegal immigrants and also able to pay below poverty wages for kitchen staff and construction workers. Their counter argument is of course I want immigrants, just legal ones. The catch is there are zero companies sponsoring Mexican immigrants for green cards so where the fuck do you think these workers are coming from? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:11 PM, Superhero said:

Over the past year, my company has been making everyone take these internet security "training classes", we have 2 step log-in for just about everything and it's a giant pain in the ass, even the CEO has bitched about it.

Then yesterday at 10AM, a malware warning popped up on my and everyone else's screens. Excel closed down but no biggie right?

By 11AM, email goes out to everyone to EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY...

treat yo self — 'shut it down' → 30 rock

... disconnect from the network, turn off your computer, take the rest of the day off because nobody's getting shit done anyway. A few emails and texts from the company say to stay off the network.

So yeah... I think we've been hacked.

Got a text from IT today saying we’re back in business. Everyone update their AV software and be prepared to work tomorrow.

I’m kinda sad because I was looking forward to another day of vacation. But I guess I’ll go into work tomorrow.

We were part of the Kayesa hack. Our IT department uses it to download / install software. Not sure when / if we’ll switch to something else. 

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Enforce the laws against people and businesses employing undocumented workers. 

Go . . .

Enforce the law.

Yep we are in agreement.  Weird, huh?

17 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The same people that cry about border security are the same people that cry about labor shortage 

They want to live in a magical world where there are no illegal immigrants and also able to pay below poverty wages for kitchen staff and construction workers. Their counter argument is of course I want immigrants, just legal ones. The catch is there are zero companies sponsoring Mexican immigrants for green cards so where the fuck do you think these workers are coming from? 

As @MaybeACoordinator ably pointed out, 100 years ago there was a vast, sweaty, and violent White American working class that dug holes, hopped freights, roofed houses, and ended sentences with words like "see," see?

This White Working Class started disappearing when the GI Bill gave them an escape hatch and redline zoning gave them a leg up credit-wise. But they didn't go away, you just don't know you're looking at them-- that obese man sitting in a clean truck playing with his phone like a 14-year-old is still potentially the rum-running bare-knuckled steel-mill hellion his granddaddy was, if only you could strip away his soft upbringing.

So I say, let's do that. If we can land a man on the moon, surely we can identify and dismantle all benefits of the GI Bill, knock it to pieces, and nobody will come all the way from Nicaragua just to compete with a veritable SEA of hard-scrabble people with retro names like Jack and Ruby who will claw your eyes out to work for tips (and only tips) slinging hash and shining shoes. It'll be heaven for the Bernie Bros and makers of flat caps as the downtown tenements ring anew with union songs before the neo-Bohunks and neo-Irish cops bash each others' heads in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Wait is this about hackers running ransomware on clueless c-suite types or evil mud people ruining America?

The common denominator is Ancient Siberians from 40,000 years ago. Russians and Aztecs are merely their modern offshoots. We emptied our phaser banks, and still they came.