Tokyo Olympics 2021

shadow_operative

58 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Yeah, this isn’t in Pop. Turnovers and missed shots are player issues. I’m about done with the Pop slander.

Fair enough. This is my weird old alt btw because Surly is broken for anyone that has dark set as a default theme. 

What a legendary game from Durant. Refused to let us go away in the first half and got it cooking immediately in the 3rd Q. Best defender on the court. Played almost the whole 1st half. Zero turnovers. Buckets whenever we needed one. Just phebomenal.

One more W and he will cement the greatest international USAB legacy ever. 

Edited by BarStella
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Kermit said:

Durant is a given to praise, but Jrue is something else. Dame shits all over the floor and Jrue has to clean up after him. 

Agreed. Jrue impressed me all game. He's easily our 2nd MVP. Maybe I would've gotten the chance to comment that if the themes on the site weren't broken right now. 

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Dame,

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

Dude's supposed to be the clear cut #2 on this team, and he's largely invisible.

Group text with my dad and brothers, this was my take

I don't know. He's not a great defender. He's never been a role player. He's used to shooting 25-30 times a game and he can't do that here.

Edited by BarStella

58 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Durant is the GOAT olympics basketball player. 

If we win gold he will have 4 golds in 4 international competitions (1 World Cup) behing the leading scorer in 3 of those while holding the all time scoring record in Olympics play for the US. 

Luka with the 3rd triple double in Olympic history, so he's got that and the Bronze Medal game going for him.

Alexander Belov USSR '76

LeBron James  USA '12

Luka Dončić Slovenia '21

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

So for all you people that think Dame is a top 10 (or god forbid even top 5) guy I hope this has disabused you of that notion. 
KD, LBJ, Joker, Luka, Harden, AD, Leonard, Steph, Giannis, Embiid. Suck my dick if you think he has any argument to be in front of any of those guys )that’s not a rank order that’s just 10 that are unquestionably better than him. 
Personal preference I’d go with booker, Paul, Middleton, Kyrie, Westbrook (haha- just kidding- fuck that guy forever) and maybe hold my nose and take Jrue. 

you cannot build a great (or even really good) team around Dame. At 50 million or whatever his extension was I wouldn’t trade a second round pick for him. 
if I’m Philly I do Simmons for him. If I’m the Lakers I’d do Westbrook for him. If I’m the clippers I’d do Pandemic P for him but that’s it I think- that’s the extent of what interest I’d have in him as an NBA gm. If I was the Rox for example I wouldn’t do John Wall for him. Because John Wall will help you be miserable and get a top pick whereas Dame will half ass you into the play in tournament (absent injury-palooza like last year) and never ending mediocrity. 
thanks for showing up Dame, I guess. Good job good effort 

and my goodness I love KD. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Would gladly trade Porzingis for Dame. I'll even throw in a nice role player.

Dame would be great with an AD or Giannis but who wouldn't. 

Yeah. That’s about getting out of bad money in zinger though. With Luka being so ball dominant Dame would be way down the list of second bananas I’d want to add. 
he’d be great offensively with Giannis if he didn’t steal his shots and touches but his defense would be way worse than holiday. I don’t love holiday but I might consider him over Dame in that situation. Probably not but is at least think about it for half a second. But still it’s not even just holiday because doesn’t Dame make like 20M more than him?  50M for a non top 10 guy that’s not an all around player is really really really hard for me to believe I could out much of a title contender around him. 

dame is a better player than CJ, and i'm not even sure i'd call his contract "bad" as every team in the league would give it to him, BUT:

he will make $13 million more than CJ this year, $14 million more next year, $15 million more the year after and then has an additional year where CJ is not under contract and dame is owed $54 million...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Would gladly trade Porzingis for Dame. I'll even throw in a nice role player.

Dame would be great with an AD or Giannis but who wouldn't. 

I mean, I'd throw in Boban to get that done...and I LOVE boban.  That's how serious I'd take that.

4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

dame is a better player than CJ, and i'm not even sure i'd call his contract "bad" as every team in the league would give it to him, BUT:

he will make $13 million more than CJ this year, $14 million more next year, $15 million more the year after and then has an additional year where CJ is not under contract and dame is owed $54 million...

That's the thing though, would they?  if you are starting over from scratch around the entire league and Dame has a $54,000,000 price tag attached to him how many takers do you think you'd have?  My guess would be nobody interested in winning a title.  Whereas people would be engaged in fist fights for KD, LBJ, Giannis etc.  And if you didn't get one of those guys you could talk yourself into Harden or Steph giving you a punchers chance at 54. But you give Dame 54?  you aren't winning jack nor shit.  I think it's somewhere in between what I think and every team in the league, b/c just reading that BUT you typed out makes me want to break out in hives. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's the thing though, would they?  if you are starting over from scratch around the entire league and Dame has a $54,000,000 price tag attached to him how many takers do you think you'd have?  My guess would be nobody interested in winning a title.  Whereas people would be engaged in fist fights for KD, LBJ, Giannis etc.  And if you didn't get one of those guys you could talk yourself into Harden or Steph giving you a punchers chance at 54. But you give Dame 54?  you aren't winning jack nor shit.  I think it's somewhere in between what I think and every team in the league, b/c just reading that BUT you typed out makes me want to break out in hives. 

If you're building a franchise from scratch, you're probably not fist fighting for anyone over 29-30 years old if it's a regular type expansion draft.  You're looking out for the next decade so you're talking the Luka's, Zion's, Giannis, etc, especially if contract's are attached, so this isn't a great hypothetical.  

Dame was a top 10 player this year in the NBA.  That's pretty much a fact by almost any advanced total metric you consider -- PER, Win Shares, WS/48, VORP, RPM, RPM Wins, etc.  Now being a top 10 reg season player isn't necessarily being a top 10 talent.  Availability is the best ability and guys like AD, Kawhi, and even KD come into question when evaluating a sample size of an entire season.  Was Dame a top 10 NBA season player last year?  Absolutely.  Is he a top 10 player or talent?  In other words, if you had a draft of 16 teams to build for an NBA playoff run, would he be drafted in the top 10?  I doubt it.  Small scoring guards, who have to be efficient from deep typically don't always play up for long playoff sample sizes.  The stats are there to evaluate. 

I would not try to build a championship team around Dame, but to say its impossible is probably a bit stilted.  You CAN, it would just be very very challenging and harder to do then around large wing players or versatile wings.  I don't blame him for getting his money either, but that makes it extremely difficult as well because you would need a front office who doesn't miss very often, and that's definitely not the Portland FO.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Positive on Westbrook in LA- Will carry a lot of the load in the regular season so Lebron and AD can save themselves. 

Steph Curry is a better player than Dame but would Steph be a 3x champ without Klay, KD, and Draymond? Superstars are incredibly important but you still need more than one horse.

Has anyone else on the Blazers even made 1 all-star game?... Is Dame on the level of a KD or another top 5 player? No he's not but he's incredibly special. His win shares are still up there.

Honestly think when guys go to Southern Cali/Miami/NY they get more respect over time as they are almost always surrounded by more talent. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

More success with Harden (assuming he’s not tanking to get traded).

I think Kyrie at his best is better than Dame, but it’s close.  And Kyrie would miss way more games and stir up more bullshit.  So, ultimately they probably have similar success or more success with Dame.  

They would have less success with Klay as a number 1 than they do with Dame.

Agree with this.  Well considered IMO.  I would be really interested in seeing Klay as a #1 though..... just for the fun of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Hypothetical scenario: Swap out Dame on the Blazers for Harden or Kyrie or Klay. Think the Blazers would have more success?

Absolutely with Harden.  Worse with Kyrie.  Probably about the same with Klay.  Klay and CJ make more sense defensively next to each other than Dame and CJ, and I think CJ can play make enough to make it happen. 

26 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If you're building a franchise from scratch, you're probably not fist fighting for anyone over 29-30 years old if it's a regular type expansion draft.  You're looking out for the next decade so you're talking the Luka's, Zion's, Giannis, etc, especially if contract's are attached, so this isn't a great hypothetical.  

Dame was a top 10 player this year in the NBA.  That's pretty much a fact by almost any advanced total metric you consider -- PER, Win Shares, WS/48, VORP, RPM, RPM Wins, etc.  Now being a top 10 reg season player isn't necessarily being a top 10 talent.  Availability is the best ability and guys like AD, Kawhi, and even KD come into question when evaluating a sample size of an entire season.  Was Dame a top 10 NBA season player last year?  Absolutely.  Is he a top 10 player or talent?  In other words, if you had a draft of 16 teams to build for an NBA playoff run, would he be drafted in the top 10?  I doubt it.  Small scoring guards, who have to be efficient from deep typically don't always play up for long playoff sample sizes.  The stats are there to evaluate. 

I would not try to build a championship team around Dame, but to say its impossible is probably a bit stilted.  You CAN, it would just be very very challenging and harder to do then around large wing players or versatile wings.  I don't blame him for getting his money either, but that makes it extremely difficult as well because you would need a front office who doesn't miss very often, and that's definitely not the Portland FO.  

By Building a franchise from scratch I'm more conceptualizing every team being stripped of every NBA player and they all go into a pool every year to draft, but they have those contracts attached to them. So it's everyone starting over every year if that makes sense, but the contracts being the commitment to the player.  In that scenario you have people in a fist fight to give Lebron 50 million- but yeah- if you were an expansion team nobody would do that.  

When I talk about top 5 or top 10 player I'm not talking about win shares or VORP or any of that stuff. Those numbers are fine, they are great, I'm a numbers guy etc and so forth, but when I'm talking about a players value I mean it in the sense of can they take over and win at a high level in a reasonable pursuit of a championship.  Dame cannot.  Those other 10 all can, and have (except Luka- but he's a baby). And no- Dame getting swept in the conference finals by the Warriors without Durant doesn't count.  Harden taking the best team I've ever seen in the year two KD warriors to 7 in the conference championship does count.  AD really bugs me b/c he was so fucking inconsequential to the league in NO. But then he gets paired with Lebron and they waltz to a title- so he goes in there for me.