Next NRA president is a familiar name

Equinox

SIAP. This came across my Cableone news feed.

The NRA's next president will be a familiar name: Oliver North. The group said Monday that the retired Marine who figured prominently in the Iran-Contra scandal of the 1980s will assume the post in the next few weeks, reports CNN.

“This is the most exciting news for our members since Charlton Heston became president of our association,” said NRA executive vice president and CEO Wayne LaPierre in a statement.

He called North a "warrior for American freedom," adding that "in these times, I can think of no one better suited to serve as our president.” Heston, of course, famously declared that his guns could only be taken "from my cold, dead hands," notes the AP. North currently serves as a Fox News analyst, but he will resign from that position. He will replace current President Pete Brownell, who is not seeking a second term. 

North, 74, is a member of the NRA board, and the Washington Post notes that he attended the group's prayer breakfast over the weekend during the annual convention. “I want my grandkids to say that Granddad was a person who taught me how to fight the good fight,” North said. “You see, that’s the most important lesson of all: We’re in a fight. We’re in a brutal battle to preserve the liberties that the good Lord presents us.” North first became a national figure while serving on the National Security Council under Ronald Reagan. He was convicted in 1989 of obstructing Congress and other charges for his role in the sale of weapons to Iran (despite sanctions) and the diversion of proceeds to support the right-wing Contra rebels in Nicaragua (despite a congressional ban on such aid), per the Hill. A judge eventually dismissed the convictions.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What is it with the right and convicted felons?

It's all part of the new "Suck it, LIBS!" program.

The GOP is effectively the angry teenager who just moved out, telling his horrified parents "you can't control me! I bet this really pisses you off!" as he tattoos the name of his favorite band across his forehead.  They think "I'm really showing you guys!"  When in reality....they're just defacing and debasing themselves.

These tattoos don't wash off, GOP.  Your full-throated embrace of depraved immoral narcissists, unapologetic criminals, and other dregs of society...well, you're gonna have to deal with those for a LONG time.  Good luck getting a future job anywhere but the loading dock, far away from the public eye.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

huh...given that he's a convicted felon, i'm not even sure he can own or possess a gun under federal law. 

ironic as hell.

About as ironic as him arming Nicaraguan death squads in order to fight against Russian influence. 

NRA Touts Oliver North’s Expertise At Avoiding Jail Time For Colluding With Hostile Foreign Powers

FAIRFAX, VA—Saying that he had just the qualifications needed to help guide their organization, the NRA announced Monday that Oliver North would be its new president, touting the retired Lt. Colonel’s expertise at avoiding jail time for colluding with hostile foreign powers. “Oliver North brings a wealth of experience in setting up back channels and illicitly exchanging funds with foreign adversaries, all while escaping any time in prison, which is exactly what the NRA is looking for in its leadership,” said NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre, telling reporters that North’s prowess at escaping felony charges for conspiring with rival countries in an effort to get even more firearms into people’s hands made the former FOX News host by far the best candidate they had considered. “As we looked to fill the position, we were immediately impressed by Lt. North’s proven ability to not only survive criminal conviction for illegally channeling foreign money, but also actively thrive in its aftermath. This is exactly the sort of innovation and resourcefulness that the NRA is going to need as it heads into the future.” LaPierre added that North’s skill set was complemented by his terrific attitude of contempt towards the rule of law.

44 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Other celebrity spokespersons hired this week:

1. Casey Anthony for Gerber

2. Scott Peterson for Match.com

3. Rae Carruth for Planned Parenthood

You missed one:

4. Kevin Morgan for Grinder

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Sold arms to Iran. Death to America.

But Obama!

No, I’m speaking in facts. His conviction was completely overturned in 1991 so saying that he’s a convicted felon or an excon is incorrect.  The NRA probably made a dumb decision but that’s a different argument...  

7 minutes ago, SDG said:

No, I’m speaking in facts. His conviction was completely overturned in 1991 so saying that he’s a convicted felon or an excon is incorrect.  The NRA probably made a dumb decision but that’s a different argument...  

That's fine. I couldn't care less if he's an actual convict.

But he played a huge role in Iran-Contra, which was illegal as hell.

Ronald Reagan was one lucky SOB.

Edited by David Dennison

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The right doesn't even pretend to care about optics anymore. 

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

What is it with the right and convicted felons?

To paraphrase the mayoral slogan of convicted felon Marion Barry:  "He Oliver May Not Be Perfect, But He's Perfect for D.C. the NRA"

26 minutes ago, SDG said:

How about piece of shit? Does that work? Because it's a fact that he's a piece of shit.

Damn, I may have just inadvertently strengthened his cred to run the NRA.

38 minutes ago, Cacti said:

To paraphrase the mayoral slogan of convicted felon Marion Barry:  "He Oliver May Not Be Perfect, But He's Perfect for D.C. the NRA"

Yeah, but we're godless libs.

They're the law and order party.

Edited by David Dennison

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Are you saying it’s ok to hire a felon if he just has a ceremonial role like being in charge of getting the donuts?

No.  I'm saying that the EVP is the powerful position in the NRA.  Read what I said.

No.  I'm saying that the EVP is the powerful position in the NRA.  Read what I said.

That you bothered to say it implied you found it a meaningful distinction. Don’t be obtuse. You’re devoid of humanity but you’re not a total moron.

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Can he even legally purchase a gun?

Maybe?

Oliver North ... had been allowed to carry up to three concealed handguns until March, when his permit expired. Clarke County Circuit Judge James L. Berry, the same judge who granted North his permit in 1992, rejected the application for renewal Monday.
But the judge added that he was unable to ignore North's convictions "for crimes involving moral turpitude . . . even though his convictions were later overturned."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/368581/OLIVER-NORTH-CANT-CARRY-A-GUN-JUDGE-RULES.html

A Federal appeals court today suspended all three of Oliver L. North's Iran-contra felony convictions and overturned one of them in a ruling that threw into doubt the entire case against the former Marine Corps lieutenant colonel.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/21/us/north-conviction-reversed-in-part-review-is-ordered.html