What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

Trying to fund "permanent" government housing for the homeless is simply a never ending grift of tax dollars that solves nothing.  For every one you house, three more will appear for the same free services with zero requirements attached.

Instead of making Austin RE agents and politicians rich, go all in on treatment.  Make it mandatory or jail.  Those who want help will get it, those who don't will move on.  Convert the hobo hotels to mental health and drug treatment centers, fund doctors and health care professionals.  Lean on the University of internships, free labor for credit etc.  Don't adopt the SF homeless policy of voluntary treatment, and government subsidized fentanyl.  Instead, spend $100 million on these services and lets compare results to the $150 million plus already spent on the current "plan" which nearly doubled the amount of homeless from the time the program started.

The SF solution to pay the homeless $700/m, allow them to camp and shoot up anywhere, provide needles and crack pipes and make treatment "voluntary" is nothing more than government assisted suicide.  

"San Francisco County's fatal overdose rate was 8.8 per 100,000 residents in December 2022, the most recent month for which the CDC has reliable data. That rate was higher than California's rate, 2.4, and higher than the nation's, 2.8"

SF Chronicle

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Historians may note the impact that the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" had on releasing folks from institutional mental health facilities and creating homelessness as a (large) cottage industry.

Geraldo's Willowbrook expose probably had more to do with it. 

Feels like this needs to not be buried in naoch.

https://www.kut.org/austin/2023-08-25/nixta-taqueria-raises-80-000-in-a-day-after-electricity-issues-force-restaurant-to-close

The Austin community has stepped up to support Nixta. On Thursday morning, the owners created a GoFundMe with a goal of $80,000 to pay for permitting expenses and to retain some of their staff. As of Friday afternoon, the restaurant had raised more than $89,000.

James Beard Award-winning Mexican restaurant Nixta Taqueria has been closed since Aug. 16, when Austin Energy got an alert that the restaurant was drawing too much power, according to co-owner and chef Edgar Rico. A City of Austin employee took out the meter on one of Nixta's electrical boxes, shutting off most of the restaurant's power — including its AC.

The city told Rico an electrician just needed to apply for a permit and upgrade the electrical panel — "a relatively quick fix," Rico said.

But the city then denied the permit. According to Rico, it said the building didn't have approval for an AC unit a previous tenant had installed. Rico said city officials inspected the building in the months before Nixta opened and never flagged any issues with the AC.

Rico said the city now is requiring Nixta to restart the permit process from the beginning, as if the restaurant were opening for the first time. That includes hiring an engineer and architect and drawing up a full site plan. The whole process could take four to eight months and tens of thousands of dollars, Rico said.

"They essentially gave us a death sentence," Rico said.

A city spokesperson said the city found melted wires during its visit to Nixta, and the restaurant "was at a significantly high risk of fire or explosion."

"A permit to repair this issue could not be immediately issued for several reasons, including that there is currently not enough amperage (amps) to operate all the electrical equipment in the building and the electrical meters don’t meet clearance requirements, which is also a critical safety issue," the spokesperson wrote in an email.

The city also said it found other permitting issues that created "life-threatening" safety concerns.

Rico and co-owner Sara Mardanbigi are in talks with the city and hope to carve out an alternate plan for reopening, but Rico said the process has been confusing. At one point, he said, a city employee called and said the initial permit the city requested had been approved, only to call back half an hour later and say it had actually been denied.

The city also suggested Nixta switch to doing take-out orders only. Even though the building still has gas and some "very light power" from another electrical box, Rico said, the kitchen can reach 120 degrees without AC and isn't safe for staff.

For now, the restaurant will stay closed. Rico said he doesn't know when it'll be fully back in business. The husband and wife team have already had to furlough some of their staff.

• Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

wow

Yeah....I want to know a LOT more about that case.  Not cutting Garza any slack here, but 1) cops say a LOT of shit, and aren't to be trusted at all, and 2) any prosecution ain't about what the cops say or believe, but about what evidence you have to prove your case at trial.

The cops declare that all of these things happened.  As a prosecutor, my question for them is "great....so, what's my evidence to present at trial to establish that's actually what happened?"  Because -- and this is really important -- the cops could write that EXACT memo about Surly poster ChickenSandwich....would it be true and accurate?  What would their proof be?

Prosecutors don't go to trial with allegations.  They go with evidence.  And if APD botched the fuck out of the case, and they "know" what happened, but didn't procure good evidence, then that's on THEM.

So....again, no slack to Garza, but "here's the story because the cops say so" is literally the LAST thing I'll rely on to decide whether someone's doing a good job or not.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I don't trust cops, but I also don't trust politicians promoted by Soros money.  Children should not have to be subjected to this type of abuse. It is hard to imagine that cops would have motivation to lie about any of this kind of stuff, short of some sort of underlying custody issue.

They might be lying.  Or, they might not have any damned evidence.  There's plenty of crimes out there where we "know what happened," but if the gulf between what we "know happened" and what we can prove at trial is 10,000 miles wide, then the DA is just doing what he can with the actual case he's been given.

Cops are really, really, really good at making definitive declaratory statements like this.  Then, when you look at the actual evidence presented, you ask "wait....that's all you've got?  WTF am I supposed to do with that?"

And GTFO with that Soros shit (OR, be reminded that the Soros foundation funded Vivek Ramaswamy....your call).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They might be lying.  Or, they might not have any damned evidence.  There's plenty of crimes out there where we "know what happened," but if the gulf between what we "know happened" and what we can prove at trial is 10,000 miles wide, then the DA is just doing what he can with the actual case he's been given.

Cops are really, really, really good at making definitive declaratory statements like this.  Then, when you look at the actual evidence presented, you ask "wait....that's all you've got?  WTF am I supposed to do with that?"

And GTFO with that Soros shit (OR, be reminded that the Soros foundation funded Vivek Ramaswamy....your call).

BTW, I'm not on team Vivek, but there is a large difference between academic scholarships and campaign support.

8 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

BTW, I'm not on team Vivek, but there is a large difference between academic scholarships and campaign support.

Money's money.

And if you want to get in the habit of reading a missive written by cops and concluding "cool, so that's actually what happened," go for it.  Feel free to ignore the fact that lying comes as easily to cops as breathing.  What they say is worth nothing; the third party evidence they gather (if they gather it) is where the rubber meets the road.  And you'll note that the missive above is all conclusions.....and doesn't mention actual evidence for shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I get what you are saying.  This Garza fellow has not inspired confidence thus far.

Oh, I've found him to be a great disappointment.  I'd really hoped that Mindy Montford would run back then, but, we got what we got.  Again, I'm not stanning for Garza here.  I'm just making it clear that I won't -- and nobody else should either -- conclude ANYTHING just because some cops say so.  ESPECIALLY when those cops have a grudge against Garza because he broke the unwritten rule, and has actually held some cops accountable for their bullshittery.

He may be a shitty DA, but that isn't anywhere CLOSE to the reason that the APD club hates him.  It's no mystery why they hate him and are out to get him.  That he's a poor DA really isn't relevant to that because (in case you haven't noticed), APD actually has very little interest in preventing or solving crimes.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Money's money.

And if you want to get in the habit of reading a missive written by cops and concluding "cool, so that's actually what happened," go for it.  Feel free to ignore the fact that lying comes as easily to cops as breathing.  What they say is worth nothing; the third party evidence they gather (if they gather it) is where the rubber meets the road.  And you'll note that the missive above is all conclusions.....and doesn't mention actual evidence for shit.

Can't trust anything that comes out of a cop's mouth, or an elected official's mouth.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Shooter killed two in the Arboretum. Another injured and bomb squad on scene. Avoid the area. Shooter in custody. Looks to be near Barnes and Noble.

Tangerines has always been a shady spot.

Never show up unarmed in a spot with known cougars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Shooter killed two in the Arboretum. Another injured and bomb squad on scene. Avoid the area. Shooter in custody. Looks to be near Barnes and Noble.

Tangerines has always been a shady spot.

Was that the nighclub dance spot inside the big hotel over there years ago?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Did Tangerines actually have anything to do with this?   Who the hell would be there at 5:00?  Never been to Tangerines, but I'll meet folks at that hotel bar on occasion.  I thought this happened over by the Barnes and Noble and Cheesecake Factory.

Tangerines was a joke. It hasn’t even been in existence for more than a decade.

• Hook 'Em 2

How much are cities surrounding Austin helping with the homeless problem?  I think the answer is ... not much ... but I could be wrong.  Travis County kicked in a little but there are wealthy towns around Austin that are pretty quiet on the issue.  Austin seems to be trying to go it alone with solutions.  I think that's why the homeless population is rising, and it may be dropping outside of Austin.  Honestly just a guess but it seems that way.

We need regional and statewide solutions but I'm not holding my breath waiting on that to happen.  The "regional" solution seems to be let Austin handle the problem.

4 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Big bowl of individually wrapped ecstasy on the counter when you walked in before Texas made it an illegal drug. And LOTS of cocaine being enjoyed. 

I remember hearing Bucky Godbolt on the radio getting reminiscent about Tangerines. He would say it like "Tangerineeeeessss!" lol

• Hook 'Em 1

Shocking, ok not shocking

Whistleblower uncovers horrid conditions at Northbridge Shelter

https://www.kvue.com/video/news/investigations/defenders/whistleblower-uncovers-horrid-conditions-at-north-bridge-shelter/269-72ea5b18-aac6-40ed-925b-69bb4a9d0127

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

How much are cities surrounding Austin helping with the homeless problem?  I think the answer is ... not much ... but I could be wrong.  Travis County kicked in a little but there are wealthy towns around Austin that are pretty quiet on the issue.  Austin seems to be trying to go it alone with solutions.  I think that's why the homeless population is rising, and it may be dropping outside of Austin.  Honestly just a guess but it seems that way.

We need regional and statewide solutions but I'm not holding my breath waiting on that to happen.  The "regional" solution seems to be let Austin handle the problem.

We need a nation-wide solution. Homelessness is not something that even states can handle. 

1 hour ago, Bolero88 said:

We need a nation-wide solution. Homelessness is not something that even states can handle. 

I disagree. The national issues that contribute to homelessness - the lack of a mental health system, increasing income inequality, etc - are national but not specific to homelessness. So the nature of homelessness and appropriate strategies for intervention in any given location is highly local. You have, for example, places like Orlando where you have a large population of people who are housing insecure but have a roof over their heads most of the time- motels, cars, friends apartments*. Then you have places like San Francisco and Los Angeles who have a huge population of permanently homeless people who mostly live outside, and then you have a place like Austin, which has a small population of permanent homeless residents concentrated in specific locations,  in addition a large population of seasonal transients who pass through. 

*BTW - everyone with a beating heart should see "The Florida Project," a truly beautiful and funny film that deals with this topic. 

1 hour ago, Bolero88 said:

don't you understand, we gotta pay for a tunnel out of downtown Austin, another library, and a shitload of bike lanes.  We don't have the funding to properly address homelessness.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I disagree. The national issues that contribute to homelessness - the lack of a mental health system, increasing income inequality, etc - are national but not specific to homelessness. So the nature of homelessness and appropriate strategies for intervention in any given location is highly local. You have, for example, places like Orlando where you have a large population of people who are housing insecure but have a roof over their heads most of the time- motels, cars, friends apartments*. Then you have places like San Francisco and Los Angeles who have a huge population of permanently homeless people who mostly live outside, and then you have a place like Austin, which has a small population of permanent homeless residents concentrated in specific locations,  in addition a large population of seasonal transients who pass through. 

*BTW - everyone with a beating heart should see "The Florida Project," a truly beautiful and funny film that deals with this topic. 

There's one thing I'm pretty damned certain of: Austin's current approach to the homeless issue is the absolute worst of all worlds, with the worst outcomes for everyone involved.

Is it good and merciful for the actual homeless?  FUCK NO.  It's awful.  They are living horrid, squalid lives, overdosing, dying, alternately broiling or freezing in the elements, they are the victims of violent crime and rape....it's fucking awful.  If you wanted to make the life of homeless people as bad as you could, the Austin plan would get you there lickety-split.

Is it good for the rest of the city?  FUCK NO.  It's awful.  I work downtown, and walk by people literally passing out and drooling in every nook (no exaggeration, walked by two people doing just that yesterday), am accosted by threatening homeless demanding money, etc.  And I'm a grown-ass man, it's even more intimidating for women and young people.  Downtown is an inhospitable place if you're not in a large group, drinking and partying.  Leave downtown, and on my way home, I pass by huge swaths where there are mounds of garbage, people camped and shitting on the highway medians, etc. If you wanted to make the homeless situation an acute problem for everyone, the Austin plan would get you there lickety-split.

I am not a harsh "fuck you, pull yourself up by your bootstraps" person.  I hate to see human suffering.  I'm more than willing to see some of my tax dollars and gov't effort going to addressing this issue.  It's what a functional society does and should do.  But we aren't fucking doing that.  At all.  We're going fucking BACKWARDS.  All while supposedly spending millions of dollars.  It's maddening.  When I have to listen to McKenzie Kelly (did y'all know I've seen her fake tits?  I have.  So have you.) talking about this issue on the news, and nod along with her with a "yep, spot-on, you're right" response....WTF?  That's how bad we're handling this issue: we've turned MK into the voice of reason.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah and that makes sense. It just seems like two distinct issues and needless conflation. I have no idea the source of the "pool budget" vs the "city art budget."
But I agree that pools should be accounted for in bond votes to be staffed/maintained and opened for longer.
Especially for when I want to swim in a toxic cauldron of toddler shit and urine.
I kid. I know it's a good way to cool off and test an immune system.

The pool operating expenses vs mural expense debate is similar to the UT university tuition/staff wages vs UT athletics budget debate. Del Conte gets a big raise and the hoopleheads will chime in about why they dont they spend that money on increasing wages for Jester cafeteria workers.

They’re separate buckets. Capital expenses vs operating expenses. In the big picture they might be related but individually they’re unrelated.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

The pool operating expenses vs mural expense debate is similar to the UT university tuition/staff wages vs UT athletics budget debate. Del Conte gets a big raise and the hoopleheads will chime in about why they dont they spend that money on increasing wages for Jester cafeteria workers.

They’re separate buckets. Capital expenses vs operating expenses. In the big picture they might be related but individually they’re unrelated.

Both funded by the tax payer, not the city. 

James Franco GIF

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There's one thing I'm pretty damned certain of: Austin's current approach to the homeless issue is the absolute worst of all worlds, with the worst outcomes for everyone involved.

Is it good and merciful for the actual homeless?  FUCK NO.  It's awful.  They are living horrid, squalid lives, overdosing, dying, alternately broiling or freezing in the elements, they are the victims of violent crime and rape....it's fucking awful.  If you wanted to make the life of homeless people as bad as you could, the Austin plan would get you there lickety-split.

Is it good for the rest of the city?  FUCK NO.  It's awful.  I work downtown, and walk by people literally passing out and drooling in every nook (no exaggeration, walked by two people doing just that yesterday), am accosted by threatening homeless demanding money, etc.  And I'm a grown-ass man, it's even more intimidating for women and young people.  Downtown is an inhospitable place if you're not in a large group, drinking and partying.  Leave downtown, and on my way home, I pass by huge swaths where there are mounds of garbage, people camped and shitting on the highway medians, etc. If you wanted to make the homeless situation an acute problem for everyone, the Austin plan would get you there lickety-split.

I am not a harsh "fuck you, pull yourself up by your bootstraps" person.  I hate to see human suffering.  I'm more than willing to see some of my tax dollars and gov't effort going to addressing this issue.  It's what a functional society does and should do.  But we aren't fucking doing that.  At all.  We're going fucking BACKWARDS.  All while supposedly spending millions of dollars.  It's maddening.  When I have to listen to McKenzie Kelly (did y'all know I've seen her fake tits?  I have.  So have you.) talking about this issue on the news, and nod along with her with a "yep, spot-on, you're right" response....WTF?  That's how bad we're handling this issue: we've turned MK into the voice of reason.

image.jpeg.a84aecad06477e1932f523a30e0a710a.jpeg

I’m extremely frustrated. We are spending enormous sums of money but implementing solutions in extremely dumb ways. 

For some of you my view on this topic may be unpopular.  It’s probably because, as I’ve written on here before, I moved back to Austin a few years ago, only to discover the largest and most dangerous homeless city in Austin had formed behind my childhood house. I’m fed up.

We need to use good carrots and sticks. Provide great mental health, financial and drug treatment services in a structured well organized process.  Save as many people as possible. Those that don’t want to be saved or can’t change their behavior, throw them in jail or a mental health facility long enough and over and over until they either change or leave the city. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1