Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

54 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I remember when this board said the same shit when Strong changed the Mack Brown no hitting policy

54 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I remember when this board said the same shit when Strong changed the Mack Brown no hitting policy

To be honest we did get tougher.........physically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s so amazing that every single program improves their strength coach every single time.

I make this kind of joke all of the time too, but honestly, it looks like we, at least, have seen upgrades with each coaching regime change. It helps to start at the bottom of the barrel with FatDog Madden, but still. I was skeptical on McKnight, but at this point it appears to be an undeniable point that he's got this team further along than we've previously ever seen. Moorer, while an improvement over the bucket of lard before him, was clearly not an upper echelon guy.

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I make this kind of joke all of the time too, but honestly, it looks like we, at least, have seen upgrades with each coaching regime change. It helps to start at the bottom of the barrel with FatDog Madden, but still. I was skeptical on McKnight, but at this point it appears to be an undeniable point that he's got this team further along than we've previously ever seen. Moorer, while an improvement over the bucket of lard before him, was clearly not an upper echelon guy.

"tf did you just say"--PMo, probably.

QIQAETPOIJOVLZI.20170228212102.jpg?width

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Bennie Wylie was not an improvement over Fat Dog, and that's sad. On the bright side, he is coaching at OU now.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Bennie Wylie was not an improvement over Fat Dog, and that's sad. On the bright side, he is coaching at OU now.

Totally recruiting related I know but can you expand on this? I've heard you say it before but everything I've seen is that he, like others, had mack in his business.

24 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Mack didn’t have Bennie Wylie coaching ridiculous high rep workouts in lieu of building core strength. That was all “Bodybuilder” Bennie Wylie’s doing. Our weakness showed every Saturday. 

I simply chose to ignore the brief Wylie era, since Madden was still around, meddling, and narking. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Surprise surprise, Tarp says the aggy OL has been struggling in pass protection.  Of course, those clowns see it as having a great pass rush.

This is the biggest reason why they will struggle to win games. 

Clemson, Alabama, Auburn and Mississippi State all have elite defensive lines. 

Also found some Sunday notes from their open practice:

Here are some practice notes regarding the offense from Sunday:

QUARTERBACKS 
Kellen Mond ran with the 1s and 3. Nick Starkel ran with the 2s and 4s. Starkel arguably had the better day of the two quarterbacks. His decision-making was much better, and he was able to get air under the ball and make the downfield passes. He showed really nice touch and was able to fit the ball in tighter windows. Mond had some issues with inconsistency and decision-making.

RUNNING BACKS 
Trayveon Williams ran really hard and was expolosive. When he got room to run, he looked really, really good. As for the other backs, Vernon Jackson and Jashaun Corbin ran with the 1s and 3s, along with Williams. Corbin looked good at times. Kwame Etwi also had a good practice. He showed his ability to run with power and also showed that he's quicker than ever.

TIGHT ENDS 
Jace Sternberger looked really good catching the football, but Trevor Wood arguably was the better blocker of the two. A&M used a lot of sets where the offense had Sternberger and Wood on the field at the same time. Glenn Beal ran with Ryan Renick on the other end of the field. Beal needs to find a way to improve his flexibility and confidence in catching the football.

WIDE RECEIVERS 
The receivers continue to develop chemistry with the quarterbacks. Quartney Davis had some nice catches. He was really fluid and always looked the ball into his hands. Klyde Chriss had a couple of deep receptions from Starkel, who dropped them in over Chriss' shoulder.

OFFENSIVE LINE 
There was a time when you really saw the offensive linemen showing their ability to angle block and down block. They were able to wash defenders out of plays, resulting in good gains. Carson Green held his own in pass protection against Landis Durham and Kingsley Keke. Dan Moore also had a good day. It'll be interesting to see how he does against opposing edge rushers when the season starts. Luke Matthews had his moments at times. He did better against guys who tried to overpower him versus guys who tried to beat him off the edge.

Edited by Machinator

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Could not find the defense notes posted anywhere, but they're here if anyone has them: https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/The-Aggies-defense-is-bigger-and-faster-than-last-years-unit-120615951/

Defense Notes: 

Spoiler

Here are some practice notes regarding the defense from Sunday:

DEFENSIVE LINE
The first-unit front four consisted of Landis Durham and Kingsley Keke on the ends, Jayden Peevyand Daylon Mack inside. The second-unit front four featured TD Moton and Josh Rogers inside, Bobby Brown and Jeremiah Martin on the edges. Moton looked better than I've ever seen him. He's gotten his hands better, and came off the ball better than what he had in the past. He got a lot of push when he was in. Mack looked really quick and could be a game-changer. Keke was really hard to deal with. He's got good strength and good bend. The offensive tackles had a couple of false starts working against him. When he gets going, he gets his hands up and is tough for people to block. Martin showed good bend and showed he's got length to him. He's a little more filled out than Tyree Wilson.

LINEBACKERS
Otaro AlakaTyrel Dodson and Buddy Johnson all got the start at linebacker. A&M rotated Anthony Hines as a backup rover. When they did that, they moved Johnson to the inside. That was something we also saw them do in drills. Hines looked really explosive. He really has great lateral movement. He's running with offensive players in coverage. With the linebacker depth, cycling Hines behind the three starters may be the route A&M goes.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Charles Oliver had a pick. He's been good at showing that he can turn his hips and go get the football while it's in the air. In discussing Debione Renfro and Clifford Chattman, you can see why there's a lot of chatter between them. Chattman can turn his hips really well. Renfro has gotten better at every aspect of the game since last fall. He's a physical player, and he ran more with the first unit today. He looks like a different player than he did last year. Donovan Wilson had an interception. He always seems to be around the football. Keldrick Carper also had a nice day in coverage. He's bigger than he's ever been and seems to be more aware at what he's expected to do on defense than last year.

BRIEFLY ...
The defense seemed to control things throughout practice. Even when quarterback Nick Starkelwas dropping dimes, they had good coverage -- and he was throwing the ball well today. ... Defensive back Ikenna Okeke ran with the 2s and 4s. He looked good in coverage. ... Defensive end Max Wright isn't the size of everyone else operating off the edge, but when he gets his hands up and gets off the ball, he can move guys a lot bigger than him backwards. Defensive tackle Mohamed Diallo displayed positive moments on the field.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s so amazing that every single program improves their strength coach every single time.

a little off topic, but I'll tell you who's a good SC coach.  Adam fucking Hall.  The Aztecs are fucking tough.  They play way above their weight class. 

The funniest narrative right now is the idea A&M's offense will be able to be physical next year and run the ball. 

1) Here's the run-blocking stats from last year. 

Adjusted line yards (107th), Std downs line yards (120th), pass down line yards (67th), Opp rate (122nd), Power success rate (65th), Stuff rate (65th).

This was one of the worst run-blocking offensive lines in the country with the same group returning and same OL coach. 

2) Here's their options for power backs. 

Trayveon Williams (200 pounds), Kwame Etwi (200 pounds), Jashaun Corbin (191 pounds), Deneric Prince (196 pounds). The only big backs they have are 2 freshman (Strong and Jackson) who aren't anywhere close to ready. I guess Kibodi is an option at 220. 

Based on their practice reports the 1st string RB is Williams and the 2nd string RB could very well be the walk-on Etwi. We don't have particularly big backs but Porter, Carter, Johnson and Young all have 10-25 pounds on their top 2 backs based on the weights from each roster. 

This roster doesn't have a Keith Ford (215 pounds) and Tra Carson (235 pounds) that can be a legitimate power back. People don't realize that Keith Ford was getting close to as many carries as Trayveon Williams these last 2 years. If they are expecting Williams to be a workhorse back it's going to be a long year. 

3) Adding a TE should help but go watch Sternberger in the spring game. He can't block. Sterberger is a glorified wide receiver. Maybe Trevor Wood can be the run blocking TE they need but I think I'll hold my breath on a guy that has only started 5 games in 4 years at Arizona. 

• Like 1

Alabama's RBs (D. Harris 215, N. Harris 230, Jacobs 216)

Miss State's RBs (Williams 215, Hill 215, and Gibson 215)

LSU's RBs (Edwards-Helaire 212, Brossette 221,  Fournette 206)

Auburn's RBs (Whitlow 216, Joiner 214, A. Martin 209, K. Martin 193)

The top tier SEC West teams are going to give the bulk of their carries to guys that have 10-15 pounds on Williams and Etwi. You can talk about being "physical" but it doesn't mean shit if you don't have the personnel. 

11 hours ago, golfclap said:

That's an important drill, because I heard a rumor that Oscar the Grouch is going to be starting at LT for Alabama this year.

Edited by Walden Ponderer