Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

1 minute ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I’ll say this if Sumlin - his scheme produces points, which is the best way to avoid tragedies in football. Sumlin took lesser teams and was able to sneak by Arky and Ole Miss etc., but didn’t have enough talent to be a real threat every week.

If Jimbo’s offense is unable to magic-trick some TDs onto the board this year, there is going to be major shock factor related to game outcomes, moreso now with this off-season hype campaign than ever. Should be glorious.

This is a true and underrated post.  They won numerous games last year by ginning up "TD plays" to Christian Kirk (and, to a lesser extent, other WRs).  Jimbo's offense doesn't really do that, and he's also not going to have the talent to walk into a situation where he can bully other people.

Given that Jimbo "took over" for Bowden after being tabbed HCIW, it will be interesting to see whether/if he has the ability/patience/etc. to "build" a team at aggy.  He's obviou$ly going to be able to recruit at a relatively high level, if he is willing to stick around (except, surprisingly, his QB choices so far look terrible).  But will he actually be able to build an entire, cohesive team from conference also-ran to conference power?  Also, will his "good" coordinators leave after a season or two, leaving him with the same type of dead-weight staff he ended up with at FSU?  And will he be able to keep the ship from capsizing after back-to-back sub-seven win seasons in his first two years?

Those are the realities of the situation that I think Jimbo is facing.

• Like 1

But will he actually be able to build an entire, cohesive team from conference also-ran to conference power?  Also, will his "good" coordinators leave after a season or two, leaving him with the same type of dead-weight staff he ended up with at FSU?  And will he be able to keep the ship from capsizing after back-to-back sub-seven win seasons in his first two years?
Those are the realities of the situation that I think Jimbo is facing.

There’s something else on my mind regarding his coaching hires. He decided to be lazy and keep Price/Turner on staff for recruiting. More often than not, this goes terribly wrong. At the first sign of trouble those players will turn to the old coaches, rather than talk to Jimbo or his new coaches, and it creates friction.

It’s something most coaches are not willing to risk like Herman with Traylor or anyone else.

1 minute ago, Skyline said:

There’s something else on my mind regarding his coaching hires. He decided to be lazy and keep Price/Turner on staff for recruiting. More often than not, this goes terribly wrong. At the first sign of trouble those players will turn to the old coaches, rather than talk to Jimbo or his new coaches, and it creates friction.

It’s something most coaches are not willing to risk like Herman with Traylor or anyone else.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That Liucci report ...  ... and that Vernon Jackson, of whom recent footage exists of his running back "skills", is a developing threat in the backfield, is fucking jaw dropping. 

As as I was reading that my first thought was that this is coming from Jimbo and the AD is a response to Mr. Patterson talking shit about how Jimbo oversigns in spots that they don't develop and going over the past depth charts at FSU and the piss-poor mgmt of those spots. I mean, anyone who watched ANY of those vids can tell you that Jackson is not going to be a solution at RB. Hell, his lack of explosion and lateral movement makes me think he's got to be a rush DE because I don't see a LB either. 

I'm not even sure what the fuck the point of this post is - as it kind of meanders around but I think it's supposed to be a "get hype about the OL" fluff piece but instead it reads like a "oh fuuuckk" 

More mass means hope for the interior of A&M's offensive line

There’s more optimism regarding the Aggies’ offensive line going into the 2018 season based on the way things turned out in fall camp even if they didn’t turn out exactly the way that Jimbo Fisherplanned. First, A&M trotted out a first five of tackles Koda Martin and Carson Green, guards Keaton Sutherland and Jared Hocker, and center Erik McCoy at the start of spring ball. All five players had started at least one game in 2017 and the same could be said for multiple backups as well. Off season workouts had made the group stronger

However, Martin suffered a heat stroke during the latter half of spring practice and although he recovered he never appeared in an A&M uniform again, transferring to Syracuse where his father is an assistant. Sophomore Dan Moore moved into his spot and provided more bulk but perhaps at the cost of some athleticism. Then, A&M tried once again to move junior Colton Prater into the starting lineup during the summer, this time at center (after having played him at tackle last fall) and moving veteran Erik McCoy over to guard (something they also tried last fall). Again, injury moved to force the Aggies into something different as Prater sat out the contact portions of fall camp and A&M moved McCoy back to center and Hocker was elevated back into the first five at right guard.

In the interim, McCoy reestablished himself in the pivot and reminded everyone why he needs to be there. He’s got over 20 starts at the position and is a physical presence who can also get the right people blocked. Sutherland has established himself as a more physical presence on the interior which has lead people to believe that A&M may be able to a better job of reestablishing the line of scrimmage off of the snap. Hocker is a bigger guard but he’s youg and has got veteran Connor Lanfear looming behind him.

Moore at tackle is reminder of the 2016 season when the Aggies went for more physical people at the tackle spot, moving 325 pound guard Jermaine Eluemunor to the edge. It paid off for a while in terms of the running game, especially with quarterback Trevor Knight using RPOs and running the ball himself. Eventually, both Knight and other players on the line went down, Eluemunor had to move back inside, and the running game wasn’t the same. Moore may need help in pass protection while rangy sophomore Carson Green mans the right side. Jimbo Fisher praised the development of backup tackle Kellen Diesch in last Thursday’s press conference but A&M doesn’t have much in the way of experience or bulk at the position.

Overall, the group is still younger unit than you think: three starters are true sophmores and three more underclassmen man the backup positions. However, the interior will feature multiple players with mass (315 pounds among the starters) while tight ends Trevor Wood and Jace Sternberger are available to help out the tackles with chips and double teams. Because of that, there’s hope among insiders that the Aggies will be able to establish power and inside zone and take the pressure off of their sophomore tackles, especially in pass protection. It’s not a bad look going into the 2018 season but only time will tell if the optimism is well placed.

11 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Holy shit Tyree Johnson had 5 sacks in a scrimmage? If Liucci wasn’t a homer there would be alarm bells going off.

Well, looks like Tyree Johnson going to win the Heisman this year...that’s a SEC, marine coached OL he just dominated. 

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

It'll only go up higher after they whip the Northwestern State normal school of the blind Thursday.  The crash will come week 2.  

Naaa....even though they won't admit it publicly, they are all expecting that Clemson loss. The crash comes in week three when La. Monroe takes them to the wire.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Try not to laugh, but aggy posters saying this a message sent to Malik Harnsby that Jimbo wants dual-threat QB's.

If that was true it just might be the most aggy and desperate move I have ever seen.  Naming a starting QB for the sole purpose of trying to entice a high school junior.  It also would tell you exactly how Jimbo thinks this season will go for him.

This year the aggy practice reports constantly remind me of a scene in the movie We Are Marshall.  

Random coach: "We have a serious problem on our offensive line."

McConaughey: "I don't suppose it's because our defensive line is just so good is it?"

RC: "No, no it's not."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

If Jimbo’s slow-and-low offense is unable to magic-trick some TDs onto the board this year, there is going to be major shock factor related to game outcomes, moreso now with this off-season hype campaign than ever. Should be glorious.

Meanwhile, Arky, Ole Miss, and Miss State have adopted offenses that will score despite “lesser talent.” Did they not learn their lesson in the Big 12? 

5 hours ago, Skyline said:

Holy shit Tyree Johnson had 5 sacks in a scrimmage? If Liucci wasn’t a homer there would be alarm bells going off.

Perhaps you missed the part about Johnson having blinding speed and burst.  It's not zero sum.  Johnson is just like Myles Garrett, except athletic.  Any OL would have struggled.  

10 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Can someone explain to me why Myles Garret was the #1 pick in the NFL draft? I believe he had 8.5 sacks his senior year and I don't think very many of those came in conference games.

Pretty sure 4 of those came in one game against like UTSA or someone of that ilk. He was drafted entirly on athletic upside because he generally disappeared in big games. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Pretty sure 4 of those came in one game against like UTSA or someone of that ilk. He was drafted entirly on athletic upside because he generally disappeared in big games. 

Guess you missed who drafted him.

(Meant for Sabalo)

Edited by Wishbone
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Can someone explain to me why Myles Garret was the #1 pick in the NFL draft? I believe he had 8.5 sacks his senior year and I don't think very many of those came in conference games.

Because he's a fucking monster 

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That Liucci report is one of the most hilarious, and surreal, things I've read in a while. The echo chamber that those people are in has to be something to behold. The sheer audacity of claiming that every single player is really emerging; that the walk-on fullback, who's never played the role before, is an NFL talent; and that Vernon Jackson, of whom recent footage exists of his running back "skills", is a developing threat in the backfield, is fucking jaw dropping. 

Wait a minute. That chin pubes report is real? No chance. It's one of those parody reports like people do of Bobby Burton around her. 

Ya know... I'm told the walk on fullback who has never played offense before is a good enough athlete to play in the NFL. You guys are so gullible. There's no fucking way that shit is real. 

9 hours ago, Skyline said:

Meh, all part of the grand plan by one of only 4 MNC sitting coaches.   Didn't you read that trayveon Williams will be contending for the SEC rushing title?  While the opposing D is busy sacking Mon-kel, Williams will be running roughshod behind an NFL FB & TE. 

Its going to be glorious, reminiscent of the RC Slocum hay dais. 

I know people are chalking Northwestern St as W....but if Aggys secondary is really that shitty...could be a closer game than people might think. Shelton Eppler is listed as the QB..you may or may not recall but he  was the one breaking records with Tren'davian Dickson in HS. If NWST receivers have any sort of speed Eppler might have a field day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

I know people are chalking Northwestern St as W....but if Aggys secondary is really that shitty...could be a closer game than people might think. Shelton Eppler is listed as the QB..you may or may not recall but he  was the one breaking records with Tren'davian Dickson in HS. If NWST receivers have any sort of speed Eppler might have a field day. 

They have former TTech WR Quan Shorts and former LSU WR 4* Jazz Ferguson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Wait a minute. That chin pubes report is real? No chance. It's one of those parody reports like people do of Bobby Burton around her. 

Ya know... I'm told the walk on fullback who has never played offense before is a good enough athlete to play in the NFL. You guys are so gullible. There's no fucking way that shit is real. 

Its real and its amazing!