Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

33 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't think our QBs have to be Heisman material to hold their own against Mond and Starkel. I'm surprised anyone would lay our offensive problems mainly on QB play last year. We all know it was the OL.

Buechelle could be deadly with average time to pass and Ehlinger showed promise in big games as a true freshman. I think I prefer what our QB competition will produce than what the Aggies end up with.

Sam and Shane aren't ass my dude 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Starkel vs top 50 S&P+ defenses last year: 

51.3% completion percentage,  4 interceptions, 5 touchdowns, 181.3 yards passing a game. 

Mond vs top 50 S&P+ defenses last year: 

54.8% completion percentage, 3 interceptions, 2 touchdowns, and 117 yards passing a game. 

Both split reps vs Miss State and Auburn. 

Starkel and Mond were absolutely shit against the good defenses they played last year. They looked better against these powerhouse defenses. Ole Miss (#117 adjusted defense), New Mexico (#91 adjusted defense), WF (#65 adjusted defense), Arkansas (#112 adjusted defense), UCLA (#120 adjusted defense), and so on. Starkel in particular was decent to good against shit teams and terrible against defenses with a pulse. 

What were Sam and Shane?

• Like 1

Well it looks like Texas only played 2 teams that ended up being top 50, TCU and Iowa State.   (USC ended up 55, Oklahoma St 70, the rest are typically between 70 and 100) Just using this as a statistic it's actually pretty close, but the numbers indicate they may be on to something. Eye test tells me differently, but that's hardly measurable.  I would consider it incomplete  because I feel that Sam was the best of the 4 qb's but he played against weaker defenses, including none that ended up in the top 50. (In his USC debut he went 52% with 2/2 and QBR of 26.) I have no problem with them indicating Starkel is better than Shane. The numbers seem to confirm it.

At TCU - Shane had a 48% completion percentage, 0 interceptions , 1 touchdown and 254 yards passing. QBR of 25.  LSU's S&P ranking (18) was close to TCU (16) so it might be a good comparison for those two games.  In that game, StarkelMotion had a 53% completion percentage, 3 interceptions, 2 touchdowns and 227 yards for QBR of 57.3

At Iowa St - Shane had a 73% completion percentage, 1 interception, 1 touchdown and 171 yards passing. QBR of 50.  South Carolina's S&P ranking (36) was close to Iowa State (32) so it would be a good comparison as well. In that game Mond had a completion percentage of 70%, 0 interceptions and 0 touchdowns. QBR of 69.8. Might be worth considering that aggy played South Carolina at home night, while Texas traveled to TCU.

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Well it looks like Texas only played 2 teams that ended up being top 50, TCU and Iowa State.   (USC ended up 55, Oklahoma St 70, the rest are typically between 70 and 100) Just using this as a statistic it's actually pretty close, but the numbers indicate they may be on to something. Eye test tells me differently, but that's hardly measurable.  I would consider it incomplete  because I feel that Sam was the best of the 4 qb's but he played against weaker defenses, including none that ended up in the top 50. (In his USC debut he went 52% with 2/2 and QBR of 26.) I have no problem with them indicating Starkel is better than Shane. The numbers seem to confirm it.

At TCU - Shane had a 48% completion percentage, 0 interceptions , 1 touchdown and 254 yards passing. QBR of 25.  LSU's S&P ranking (18) was close to TCU (16) so it might be a good comparison for those two games.  In that game, StarkelMotion had a 53% completion percentage, 3 interceptions, 2 touchdowns and 227 yards for QBR of 57.3

At Iowa St - Shane had a 73% completion percentage, 1 interception, 1 touchdown and 171 yards passing. QBR of 50.  South Carolina's S&P ranking (36) was close to Iowa State (32) so it would be a good comparison as well. In that game Mond had a completion percentage of 70%, 0 interceptions and 0 touchdowns. QBR of 69.8. Might be worth considering that aggy played South Carolina at home night, while Texas traveled to TCU.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I don't want to go full aggy, but are the defense rankings skewed in the Big 12 because of the potency of the offenses? Similarly, aren't SEC defenses skewed favorably because it's a low scoring, slow ball league particularly for the good teams?

Further, as bad as their line was last year, it was probably better than what ours ended up being. That, too, impacts QB play.

Therefore: Ehlinger and Buechelle will tie in the voting for the Heisman next year. 

56btDabKS3SXVHQeaRjC_Classroom%20Nutshot

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't want to go full aggy, but are the defense rankings skewed in the Big 12 because of the potency of the offenses? Similarly, aren't SEC defenses skewed favorably because it's a low scoring, slow ball league particularly for the good teams?

Further, as bad as their line was last year, it was probably better than what ours ended up being. That, too, impacts QB play.

Therefore: Ehlinger and Buechelle will tie in the voting for the Heisman next year. 

56btDabKS3SXVHQeaRjC_Classroom%20Nutshot

They're adjusted for opponent.

Methodology here: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 9:48 PM, Enchubben said:

I watched Kirk carry their passing game on his back last year. Those qb’s sucked out loud outside of him. They will show it this year with a bunch of jag receivers and a worse OL.

Ausbon is no jag. He will be a beast in another year.

36 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Tarp's got some VIP posts up about aggy making changes on both sides of the ball.  From what little I could tell is someone named Bo Schneider is 3rd QB and Matthews is running with the 2's at Tackle.  Ouch.

Manbun not quite panning out? Who could have seen this coming???

26 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

From the Gigem247 thread

"If Matthews passes up one of Diesch or Anderson at tackle, I imagine their days on the roster are limited."

Yup. Diesch has been a total bust. Always interesting to see how some of these players turn out because shaggy had a full blown meltdown over missing on Diesch. 

Ummm, we meltdown about a lot of shit but not about that jag.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

27 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Ummm, we meltdown about a lot of shit but not about that jag.

I'm too lazy to go find the old shaggy threads but there were a lot of people that thought Diesch was a big miss. The only reason I remember this is because I got into an argument with several posters about Diesch being "soft" and argued he would be a bust. 

Top 5 offensive lineman in state since '13: 

'13: 

A'Shawn Robinson, Darius James, Kent Perkins, Jake Raulerson, Ishmael Wilson

'14: 

Demetrius Knox, Koda Martin, Jovan Pruitt, Najee Toran, Terrell Cunney. '14 was a really down year for OL in Texas as you can tell with Cunney being a top 5 OL. 

'15: 

Maea Teuhuma, Keaton Sutherland, Patrick Vahe, Toby Weathersby, Sam Awolope 

'16: 

Greg Little, Patrick Hudson, Kellen Diesch, Jean Delance, Austin Meyers

'17: 

Walker Little, Jack Anderson, Austin Deculus, Wes Harris, Grayson Reed. 

I just realized that I was looking at the Top247 instead of composite but you get the point. It's still too early to reach a conclusion on the '17 class but how many of those other guys have reached their potential or been decent to good players? 

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Top 5 offensive lineman in state since '13: 

'13: 

A'Shawn Robinson, Darius James, Kent Perkins, Jake Raulerson, Ishmael Wilson

'14: 

Demetrius Knox, Koda Martin, Jovan Pruitt, Najee Toran, Terrell Cunney. '14 was a really down year for OL in Texas as you can tell with Cunney being a top 5 OL. 

'15: 

Maea Teuhuma, Keaton Sutherland, Patrick Vahe, Toby Weathersby, Sam Awolope 

'16: 

Greg Little, Patrick Hudson, Kellen Diesch, Jean Delance, Austin Meyers

'17: 

Walker Little, Jack Anderson, Austin Deculus, Wes Harris, Grayson Reed. 

I just realized that I was looking at the Top247 instead of composite but you get the point. It's still too early to reach a conclusion on the '17 class but how many of those other guys have reached their potential or been decent to good players? 

I’ll tell you what...i cant think of a faster way to get me to stop reading a post, dismiss everything you say, and question any post you have moving forward than by leading with “Top Offensive linemen” and having the first fucking name you mention as A’shawn Robinson. 

What, you couldnt type Reggie White with a straight face?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm too lazy to go find the old shaggy threads but there were a lot of people that thought Diesch was a big miss. The only reason I remember this is because I got into an argument with several posters about Diesch being "soft" and argued he would be a bust. 

Convenient, unverified accomplishment boasting is a Surly tradition.

Edited by Casual Encounter
Can’t put thoughts to words this morning.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ll tell you what...i cant think of a faster way to get me to stop reading a post, dismiss everything you say, and question any post you have moving forward than by leading with “Top Offensive linemen” and having the first fucking name you mention as A’shawn Robinson. 

Sure, Robinson ended up on the DL. A lot of people projected him at OT (including the recruiting services like 247). 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

True. But for what it is worth A'shawn was listed as an OT. https://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

Op probably should have noted that or dropped him from the rankings because he never touched that position in HS. 

Edit: oops disregard. 

Edited by theaveragejon

18 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

True. But for what it is worth A'shawn was listed as an OT. https://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

Op probably should have noted that or dropped him from the rankings because he never touched that position in HS. 

Edit: oops disregard. 

Geeze overall that turned out to be a bad top 15.

26 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Sure, Robinson ended up on the DL. A lot of people projected him at OT (including the recruiting services like 247). 

Dude, just stop. Everyone and their mother who was paying attention knew Robinson was a DT all the way. 247 also said Tyrone Swoopes was a QB, Chris Whaley and Henry Melton were RBs, etc etc. Just admit that you did a quick search on 247s database and it didn't set off your alarm bells. Because there was no confusion on Robinson. Do you know how I know that?

Freshman year (2013)[edit]

Robinson started practicing with Alabama in August 2013 and played in the first game of Alabama's 2013 season on 31 August 2013.[9] Robinson and tight end O. J. Howard were Alabama's only true freshmen to have both started a game and played in every game of the 2013 season.[9] Robinson was also the only true freshman under head coach Nick Saban at Alabama to lead the team in sacks.[3]

Robinson led Alabama in sacks and was seventh on the team in tackles.[9] He was named by Alabama's coaches as one of the defensive "players of the week" in three of Alabama's 12 games.[10] No other true freshman was a "player of the week" on offense or defense during the 2013 season.[10] At Alabama's annual awards banquet after the 2013 regular season Robinson was one of four players to receive an "Iron Man Award" given to players who have shown the most dedication to the individual and team goals of the Crimson Tide’s year-round strength and conditioning program.[11]

At the end of his first college football season Robinson was the only Alabama freshman named to the SEC Coaches' All-Freshman team.[12] Robinson was also on the 2013 Sporting News Freshman All-American team.[13]

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, he was widely seen as one of the best DT prospects to come out of Texas (maybe anywhere?) in quite awhile. I don't recall the extent to which he was lauded, but he was a DT man. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dude, just stop. Everyone and their mother who was paying attention knew Robinson was a DT all the way. 247 also said Tyrone Swoopes was a QB, Chris Whaley and Henry Melton were RBs, etc etc. Just admit that you did a quick search on 247s database and it didn't set off your alarm bells. Because there was no confusion on Robinson. Do you know how I know that?

I haven no clue why you are so upset over this?

How in the hell would anyone not know that A'Shawn Robinson ended up at DT in college. No shit. I simply listed the top 5 OL who the "industry" thought were OL coming out of college. 

Exclude A'Shwan Robinson's name. It won't bother me. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I haven no clue why you are so upset over this?

How in the hell would anyone not know that A'Shawn Robinson ended up at DT in college. No shit. I simply listed the top 5 OL who the "industry" thought were OL coming out of college. 

I'm hardly upset. I'm just pointing out an absurdity and your hand in perpetuating it on this board. 

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm hardly upset. I'm just pointing out an absurdity and your hand in perpetuating it on this board. 

Yeah man, it's absurd to include A'Shawn Robinson's name as a a "top offensive lineman in state" when he's ranked as an offensive lineman by the most reputable recruiting service. 

There's certainly room for argument on whether Robinson projected to play OL or DL but it was common knowledge that Robinson was a good 2 way player at Arlington Heights. 

24 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

17 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah man, it's absurd to include A'Shawn Robinson's name as a a "top offensive lineman in state" when he's ranked as an offensive lineman by the most reputable recruiting service. 

There's certainly room for argument on whether Robinson projected to play OL or DL but it was common knowledge that Robinson was a good 2 way player at Arlington Heights. 

Exclude A'Shwan Robinson's name. It won't bother me. 

Dude, you can't literally make both of those posts within minutes of each other and not expect to be mocked at least a little bit. "Everyone knew he was going to be a DT in college, no shit" and "of course I included him as a top offensive lineman, that's what 247 said." You can't play the "no shit I knew he was a DT" and feign fucking ignorance because 247 listed him as an OT at the same time. Jesus fucking christ.

I assure you, everyone else excluded his name from your list immediately and did a fucking Jacksonville Jaguar Guy gif in their heads.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1