Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

21 minutes ago, golfclap said:

giphy.gifYTM82nm.gif

All the rep.

And it's hilarious that you gifed that, because I almost wrote that it was his "baggy t-shirt he got from from that team-building exercise he did for work," but I figured it was too obscure of a reference.  Then I buried the reference and made it even more oblique, and you still got it. 

Never underestimate the Surl.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

And aggy fans say “is that it?” But I know what you’re saying. You’re saying “ahh yeah, that’s it.”   -Jimbo after going 6-6 this season

$75 million dollars in heaven is better than... $74 million dollars... in heaven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Also--how are we not talking about the fact that Darrell Dickey is out there in spandex bike shorts and an oversized giveaway t-shirt from 1999?  That shit is so fucking weird.

giphy.gif

Nothing to see here. He's just trying to fit in. 

23 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Mond's throwing motion is atrocious.  Foster shows promise with his, though.  

How can you watch anything other than Dickey in the gif?  I didn't even notice there were quarterbacks throwing the ball in that gif until you said something.

Every time I look at it, I notice something new about Dickey.  Like how he's doing the Dana Carvey "church lady" pose:

church_lady_dance.jpeg?1345298830

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, golfclap said:

A couple of things that jump out to me. 

1. I see absolutely zero intensity in any of the drills. 

2. Maybe it is because the entire defense is painfully slow and undersized. 

3. Their offensive line was comical, I legit laughed at their form. 

22 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That's funny. I could've sworn I just read from the last page that their workouts are more intense. 

From Frenzy

Jeff Tarpley: Ten VIP thoughts from Sunday's practice: Three groups to watch

1. Texas A&M’s open practice was something of a mishmash the other day with the first two defensive units going against the first and third offenses on one end of the field and everyone else at the other end of the field. In some circumstances, you had the third team offensive line matched up with the first team defensive line which made it difficult for the offense to get much going regardless of who was lined up at the skill positions.

2. There weren’t a lot of freshmen out there with the first two units. You had Bobby Brown and Jeremiah Martin at end with the second team defense and the freshman running backs on the other side of the ball….and that was pretty much it. There’s not a lot of places for freshmen to come in and make an immediate impact because of the number of returnees and even where they could have done so A&M didn’t sign anyone.

3. The quality depth on the roster is concentrated at defensive tackle and to a lesser extent at other spots. There’s a lot of places where A&M has experienced bodies but not necessarily guys who could step in for an extended time if the starters go down and maintain a similar level of production.

4. With only five linebackers on the roster that aren’t former walk ons, the ability of that group to stay healthy is paramount if A&M is to improve on defense. Fortunately, sophomore Anthony Hines gives the Aggies a lot of flexibility. He can play inside or at the rover and he’s an agile guy with vision and closing speed. Buddy Johnson is bigger than Hines which is probably why they’re experimenting with Johnson moving inside when Hines comes in. However, the Aggies don’t appear to lose much when he’s on the field. It’s not the two deep that everyone hoped for but it’s a rotation that they can live with.

5. Some special teams notes: I wouldn’t expect much to change in the way of the gunners and upbacks. Trayveon Williams worked with the gunners on the outside on kickoff coverage but corner Charles Oliver was relatively effective there last year. Guys like Kingsley Keke and Landis Durham should continue to work as protectors. There’s no question watching people field kicks that Trayveon Williams will be the main man as a kickoff returner with someone else filling the blocking back role. Quartney Davis is very smooth fielding punts and getting upfield with the ball. He is a natural.

6. The running back spot has a lot of guys fighting for not that many reps. Trayveon Williams is established as the starter and he’s much bigger in the upper body than he was last year. He seems better able to absorb blows and keep going but his game as a freshman was based on getting upfield to the second level in a hurry. The thing that people miss on Kwame Etwi when discussing A&M’s running back corps is that he can plant and get to the second level as well or better than any of the younger scholarship players. He’s a real north/south runner who can bend things back into daylight very quickly and he’s got a nice all around game in terms of his blocking and receiving. The younger guys still seem to be focused on that aspect of the game…reading blocks, planting, and getting north/south…and that may take time.

7. A&M used more two tight end sets on Sunday but they really don’t have much behind Jace Sternberger and Trevor Wood in terms of being able to use the same personnel groupings with the same level of success. Wood can get his hands on a defensive end and ride them outside but Glenn Beal is more a pure in line guy. Ryan Renick is someone who catches everything thrown his way but Wood is by far the most effective blocker of the group.

I focused on players when I relayed things to Damon on my way back to Dallas on Sunday night and so today I want to focus more on the position groups. There’s three main groups that everyone needs to be watching once the season starts.

8. The first (of course) is the offensive line. Due to the fact that we sat on the first deck, we didn’t have the best angles to take in the interior of the line (it was easier to see the guys on the edge). The run blocking appeared to be better than the pass blocking.

The freshmen linemen were with the third unit and none of them gave the impression that they were ready to contribute as of today and that they needed time during the season to develop. A&M has more options on the interior than they do at tackle but not many more. They’ve basically got a three deep of scholarship players but it’s not like many of them could play extended minutes if they had to. You’ve got swing guys like Colton Prater (who didn’t practice but went through drills), Keaton Sutherland, and Ryan McCollum who can play multiple spots in the interior and might give them a seven man rotation at best right now…but some of those people have had problems in the past being consistent players. Connor Lanfear is with the second unit but he’s still trying to work his way back into the lineup after missing both of the Aggies’ last two bowl games with injuries

9. The second…and this may surprise you…is the secondary. While people make a lot of the Aggies length back there (particularly at corner), it’s not a group that’s especially fast. Corner Charles Oliver was a track guy in high school but the rest of the unit is known for its hitting ability moreso than its deep coverage skills. They’ve improved themselves from a fundamental standpoint but here’s couple of things to think about.

A, the current crop of corners that A&M has committed are in the 6 foot to 6 foot 1 range. They’re all high four star caliber athletes who can run and open their hips. You contrast that to the people currently on the roster who were generally rated as a three star prospects coming out of high school who are a lot bigger and brought length as opposed to other attributes to the equation. This staff is trying to recruit people who are diametrically opposite to the ones that they will be sending out there in the fall. In fact, Oliver is really the only one who seems like that he would fit in the 2019 recruiting class from a physical standpoint.

COMMENTS
B, A&M’s safeties like to get involved in run support but it remains to be seen what kind of deep coverage ability they have. A&M ranked near the bottom of the SEC last season in allowing big passing plays. In the spring game, tight end Jace Strenbrger went eight for 147 yards. While everyone focused on his numbers, they also didn’t seem to realize that he was going up against the players that would start at safety for the Aggies this upcoming season and that he hadn’t played a SEC game yet. Quarterback Nick Starkel averaged about nine yards an attempt against those safeties and he’s a downfield passer.

10. Three, the defensive end spot will probably have a couple of freshmen playing meaningful minutes in Brown and either Martin or Max Wright. It says something that A&M had to move a defensive tackle outside as a possible long term solution when one of the projected starters went down. In fact, A&M has Landis Durham out there on the edge and depending on what they do with Kingsley Keke once Micheal Clemons comes back says a lot, at least for this season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

From Frenzy

Jeff Tarpley: Ten VIP thoughts from Sunday's practice: Three groups to watch

Reveal hidden contents

1. Texas A&M’s open practice was something of a mishmash the other day with the first two defensive units going against the first and third offenses on one end of the field and everyone else at the other end of the field. In some circumstances, you had the third team offensive line matched up with the first team defensive line which made it difficult for the offense to get much going regardless of who was lined up at the skill positions.

2. There weren’t a lot of freshmen out there with the first two units. You had Bobby Brown and Jeremiah Martin at end with the second team defense and the freshman running backs on the other side of the ball….and that was pretty much it. There’s not a lot of places for freshmen to come in and make an immediate impact because of the number of returnees and even where they could have done so A&M didn’t sign anyone.

3. The quality depth on the roster is concentrated at defensive tackle and to a lesser extent at other spots. There’s a lot of places where A&M has experienced bodies but not necessarily guys who could step in for an extended time if the starters go down and maintain a similar level of production.

4. With only five linebackers on the roster that aren’t former walk ons, the ability of that group to stay healthy is paramount if A&M is to improve on defense. Fortunately, sophomore Anthony Hines gives the Aggies a lot of flexibility. He can play inside or at the rover and he’s an agile guy with vision and closing speed. Buddy Johnson is bigger than Hines which is probably why they’re experimenting with Johnson moving inside when Hines comes in. However, the Aggies don’t appear to lose much when he’s on the field. It’s not the two deep that everyone hoped for but it’s a rotation that they can live with.

5. Some special teams notes: I wouldn’t expect much to change in the way of the gunners and upbacks. Trayveon Williams worked with the gunners on the outside on kickoff coverage but corner Charles Oliver was relatively effective there last year. Guys like Kingsley Keke and Landis Durham should continue to work as protectors. There’s no question watching people field kicks that Trayveon Williams will be the main man as a kickoff returner with someone else filling the blocking back role. Quartney Davis is very smooth fielding punts and getting upfield with the ball. He is a natural.

6. The running back spot has a lot of guys fighting for not that many reps. Trayveon Williams is established as the starter and he’s much bigger in the upper body than he was last year. He seems better able to absorb blows and keep going but his game as a freshman was based on getting upfield to the second level in a hurry. The thing that people miss on Kwame Etwi when discussing A&M’s running back corps is that he can plant and get to the second level as well or better than any of the younger scholarship players. He’s a real north/south runner who can bend things back into daylight very quickly and he’s got a nice all around game in terms of his blocking and receiving. The younger guys still seem to be focused on that aspect of the game…reading blocks, planting, and getting north/south…and that may take time.

7. A&M used more two tight end sets on Sunday but they really don’t have much behind Jace Sternberger and Trevor Wood in terms of being able to use the same personnel groupings with the same level of success. Wood can get his hands on a defensive end and ride them outside but Glenn Beal is more a pure in line guy. Ryan Renick is someone who catches everything thrown his way but Wood is by far the most effective blocker of the group.

I focused on players when I relayed things to Damon on my way back to Dallas on Sunday night and so today I want to focus more on the position groups. There’s three main groups that everyone needs to be watching once the season starts.

8. The first (of course) is the offensive line. Due to the fact that we sat on the first deck, we didn’t have the best angles to take in the interior of the line (it was easier to see the guys on the edge). The run blocking appeared to be better than the pass blocking.

The freshmen linemen were with the third unit and none of them gave the impression that they were ready to contribute as of today and that they needed time during the season to develop. A&M has more options on the interior than they do at tackle but not many more. They’ve basically got a three deep of scholarship players but it’s not like many of them could play extended minutes if they had to. You’ve got swing guys like Colton Prater (who didn’t practice but went through drills), Keaton Sutherland, and Ryan McCollum who can play multiple spots in the interior and might give them a seven man rotation at best right now…but some of those people have had problems in the past being consistent players. Connor Lanfear is with the second unit but he’s still trying to work his way back into the lineup after missing both of the Aggies’ last two bowl games with injuries

9. The second…and this may surprise you…is the secondary. While people make a lot of the Aggies length back there (particularly at corner), it’s not a group that’s especially fast. Corner Charles Oliver was a track guy in high school but the rest of the unit is known for its hitting ability moreso than its deep coverage skills. They’ve improved themselves from a fundamental standpoint but here’s couple of things to think about.

A, the current crop of corners that A&M has committed are in the 6 foot to 6 foot 1 range. They’re all high four star caliber athletes who can run and open their hips. You contrast that to the people currently on the roster who were generally rated as a three star prospects coming out of high school who are a lot bigger and brought length as opposed to other attributes to the equation. This staff is trying to recruit people who are diametrically opposite to the ones that they will be sending out there in the fall. In fact, Oliver is really the only one who seems like that he would fit in the 2019 recruiting class from a physical standpoint.

COMMENTS
B, A&M’s safeties like to get involved in run support but it remains to be seen what kind of deep coverage ability they have. A&M ranked near the bottom of the SEC last season in allowing big passing plays. In the spring game, tight end Jace Strenbrger went eight for 147 yards. While everyone focused on his numbers, they also didn’t seem to realize that he was going up against the players that would start at safety for the Aggies this upcoming season and that he hadn’t played a SEC game yet. Quarterback Nick Starkel averaged about nine yards an attempt against those safeties and he’s a downfield passer.

10. Three, the defensive end spot will probably have a couple of freshmen playing meaningful minutes in Brown and either Martin or Max Wright. It says something that A&M had to move a defensive tackle outside as a possible long term solution when one of the projected starters went down. In fact, A&M has Landis Durham out there on the edge and depending on what they do with Kingsley Keke once Micheal Clemons comes back says a lot, at least for this season

So basically Tarp is saying what we have for months.  If Northwestern State does have some DI transfer WR's and Holgorsen's nephew at QB, they should throw at Renfro and them slow Safety's all game.

Hahah. This doesn’t surprise anyone who watches their games. They get burned all game. Only dipshit Aggy believes they have good corners because that’s what YOU have been telling them for years. 

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

How can you watch anything other than Dickey in the gif?  I didn't even notice there were quarterbacks throwing the ball in that gif until you said something.

Every time I look at it, I notice something new about Dickey.  Like how he's doing the Dana Carvey "church lady" pose:

church_lady_dance.jpeg?1345298830

I’m surprised you missed the fact that Dickey’s quads are as big as his calves.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Hahah. This doesn’t surprise anyone who watches their games. They get burned all game. Only dipshit Aggy believes they have good corners because that’s what YOU have been telling them for years. 

I've said it before, the only thing that kept that secondary looking even worse than it did last year was Armani Watts.  Pryor and Wilson cant help on the deep end like Watts did.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So basically Tarp is saying what we have for months.  If Northwestern State does have some DI transfer WR's and Holgorsen's nephew at QB, they should throw at Renfro and them slow Safety's all game.

Northwestern State probably has a worse defense than aggy, but in their first fall scrimmage the offense put up 468 yards passing and eight scores.  Jazz Ferguson, LSU transfer and Quan Shorts, Texas Tech transfer showed out.  aggy better not be looking ahead or this might be an offensive shootout.  

Only five LBs is crazy... we have seven and we've been freaking out about our depth. And we only play with two on the field a lot of the times. And we don't play in a pro style run first conference. 

Tarp also said this in a comment. No bueno.: 

So it sounds to me like we better pray our offense can score a huge amount of points to outpace the problems with our defense. Sounds about right for the way Sumlin had been recruiting.

The defense was the better unit in the matchup between the ones, especially in terms of the passing game.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

21 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Only five LBs is crazy... we have seven and we've been freaking out about our depth. And we only play with two on the field a lot of the times. And we don't play in a pro style run first conference. 

So it sounds to me like we better pray our offense can score a huge amount of points to outpace the problems with our defense. Sounds about right for the way Sumlin had been recruiting.

The defense was the better unit in the matchup between the ones, especially in terms of the passing game.

4457123.jpg?w=700

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Guys like Kingsley Keke and Landis Durham should continue to work as protectors.

Wait...aggy wants Keke to play on special teams? Is he not like, their best defensive player? Seems about as smart as wearing spandex bike shorts as a fashion statement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Will they hold anybody under 28???

9 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Yeah the offensive line is horribad.....they're slow as fucking molasses getting off the ball. 

On 8/13/2018 at 3:41 PM, closetojumping said:

I simply chose to ignore the brief Wylie era, since Madden was still around, meddling, and narking. 

I have a buddy who through his job had Texas coaches as clients and was always on campus.  He told me Madden was always in his office watching shit like CSI and Criminal Minds.  Every time. 

How bad must they look for Tarp to have written that article? Very early to start trying to warn the hardcore believers.

I like the description of the secondary as "not a group that's especially fast", followed up with an explanation that a TE going off against starters in the spring game isn't a good thing.

30 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

How bad must they look for Tarp to have written that article? Very early to start trying to warn the hardcore believers.

I like the description of the secondary as "not a group that's especially fast", followed up with an explanation that a TE going off against starters in the spring game isn't a good thing.

Especially when Tarp wrote an article after the spring game spinning the TE going off as an example of Jimbo's offensive genius. 

Leon O'Neal may be faster than any of the DB's they have in the two deep.  That is a bad problem to have.  Max Wright gonna starts.  Luke Mathews has to start at left tackle.  Daylon Mack starting.  Keke at DE  Madibuike hurt.  Five scholarship linebackers with Olaka being very injury prone.  A bunch of slow footed,  high pad plodders from Mineola and Trophy Club on the OL.  Mond running for his life.  Gimpy legged Starkel.  Walk-on Etwi is their best RB.  What am I missing?  6-6 at best.  

We know outside Bama and probably UGA how overrated the conference is, so they will likely fall into a few wins.  But how amazing would 3-9 be dropping 1 of those to NWst or UAB in the inaugural season of one of the 3 dead gum MNC winning coaches?  

It it will be rumlins fault of course, even though he would finish 4th in the SECw again if he had stayed another year.  

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I looked at their schedule for the first time just now.  I guess mentally I had expected them to go something like 7-5 this year, but it’s now dawning on me that they’re in for a train wreck this season.  I see 4 or 5 wins as likely outcomes, with 3 of those being Northwestern State, ULM and UAB.  Seven wins is the upper bound, rosiest of outcomes.

If it's really bad, UAB is a toss up. They won 8 games last year and return most of their 2 deep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theaveragejon said:

Lol at seeing Vernon Jackson doing those RB drills.

The two players that I laughed at were Vernon Jackson and Daylon Mack. 

Jackson isn't fluid at all. That dude has absolutely no shot of staying at RB. He moves like a DE trying to play RB. 

Daylon Mack looks like a bowling bowl. The more you look at Mack's build it's not shocking to see why he's been a bust. Short, pudgy and small arms. Just from that video Rogers and Peevy look like completely different caliber players from a physical perspective. 

Edited by texasstrong12