2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

5 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Had a little incident a few weeks ago.  The rancher next door to us called to say some foreign exchange students crashed through a fence several miles to the west of us to avoid the nice fellows on the white and green vehicles.   The runners were in a RAM dually and stayed off the highway only to bust through multiple fences on three different ranches as they headed back east to avoid detection.  

The BP won’t give chase in their vehicles onto the ranches.  The coyote driving and his charges kept going at it.  The rancher called me to say they were on our place and the he had forgotten the lock code on the little used gate along the river that allows us to go back and forth between our two adjoining properties.   I gave him the code and he went in to investigate and then lost sight of the fine folks in the truck. 

Three weeks later, the very same rancher has people in from NJ to shoot pigs out of a helicopter over his place. They sweep over our southeast corner of our place as they are turning around while flying their grid and they spot the stolen truck on our side.   We go over to investigate yesterday and find the truck, locate some papers and track down the owner living in Bonham.  He was at the SA rodeo and his truck got boosted from the motel parking lot.  

His insurance carrier already wrote off the truck and paid him out.  The Uvalde Counter Sheriff’s department sent out a deputy to verify it was the truck and then a tow truck showed up to pull the RAM out of the brush,‘take it to impound and eventually sell it.  

What a mess. 

2FD81C1A-5C19-4031-8041-2D9F0210D8DC.jpeg

C2563CDA-EF5D-4A7B-A075-149F18411BD3.jpeg

28DE7B5B-56B9-4FFF-9512-4A83AE0DA5C5.jpeg

4CF27AD7-0167-4420-8ABB-5211C1B68053.jpeg

See how much, and apply the "it was on my ranch, and already written off the books discount". Under 100k miles, it's a $60k truck.  My 2018 F350, that looks just like that, other than being a Ford, is worth $17k more than I paid for it.

CHIEF

9 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

See how much, and apply the "it was on my ranch, and already written off the books discount". Under 100k miles, it's a $60k truck.  My 2018 F350, that looks just like that, other than being a Ford, is worth $17k more than I paid for it.

CHIEF

We talked about not saying a word and having a free ranch truck.   It was hot wired and had no key so a bit of a problem. 

And we are not crooks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

No CR, but this border stuff is a big fucking problem for anybody that hunts down that way.

Yep. The northbound pathway has been to our west.  Now that so much intervention has been impressed in that area the deputy that came out to finalize the report says the route has now shifted east of the previous and puts us right in the middle of it and to expect more incidences like this.  

The ranch adjoining us to the west had 3 of these truck run amok type of breaches in the past month.  

I’ve told the guys in camp we shouldn’t even lock the doors anymore.  At least we can save money on replacement doors and glass.  

Of course, we would need to leave a note in Spanish that the doors are unlocked.  A friend of mine had their stucco ranch house broken in to.  The illegals spent countless hours breaking through a stucco exterior wall with rebar and a sledgehammer.   All the while the doors were left unlocked so as to minimize damage.  

Can’t wait. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Yep. The northbound pathway has been to our west.  Now that so much intervention has been impressed in that area the deputy that came out to finalize the report says the route has now shifted east of the previous and puts us right in the middle of it and to expect more incidences like this.  

The ranch adjoining us to the west had 3 of these truck run amok type of breaches in the past month.  

I’ve told the guys in camp we shouldn’t even lock the doors anymore.  At least we can save money on replacement doors and glass.  

Of course, we would need to leave a note in Spanish that the doors are unlocked.  A friend of mine had their stucco ranch house broken in to.  The illegals spent countless hours breaking through a stucco exterior wall with rebar and a sledgehammer.   All the while the doors were left unlocked so as to minimize damage.  

Can’t wait. 

Years ago we had a place near Del Rio that the exchange students were fond of.  We left our hunting cabin open and stocked with canned goods that they happily consumed.  The land owner was ultimately murdered by some of those guys that he befriended.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Years ago we had a place near Del Rio that the exchange students were fond of.  We left our hunting cabin open and stocked with canned goods that they happily consumed.  The land owner was ultimately murdered by some of those guys that he befriended.

No good deed goes unpunished.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@deadshank we’ve had ours busted thru 2x, 2 years in a row. My understanding was they were actually being pursued and ditched off the CR and thru the fence. I know one was in a brand new KR 150 that they had stolen. Other than that, we’ve never seen any on the cams or anything. We’ve never had anything come up stolen, messed with, nothing (furiously knocking on wood). 

@Lat22 hey neighbor.  I really, really love the scenery at your place (the wind blown oaks, not the illegals).  Reminds me of hunting the Norias pastures.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, deadshank said:

It’s a big problem for everyone down that way. 

I have hunted in south Texas since the early 80s.  We have had property there since the late 80s.  Have multiple friends with family ranches in South Texas.  It is much worse than it has ever been.  To the point I know people who just are not comfortable being at their own ranch.  At a minimum, most people I know are constantly armed now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have hunted in south Texas since the early 80s.  We have had property there since the late 80s.  Have multiple friends with family ranches in South Texas.  It is much worse than it has ever been.  To the point I know people who just are not comfortable being at their own ranch.  At a minimum, most people I know are constantly armed now.

Y'all ever thought about selling and buying land further north or is it one of those things that's gonna stay in the family no matter what things?

8 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The lease on the boarder was given up after this year. It is the wild west and I don't care to spend time down there. We had 2 full on gun fights happen less than a mile from us while we were sitting in deer blinds. We had a group roll up on a fellow lessee father daughter combo with ar's. We had our trailers fucked up and power at the pole fucked up. Someone shot 2 cows for whatever the fuck reason. It is chaos. I am sticking to my small ranch. I will stick to what I actually own. Fuck dying over big deer.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

The lease on the boarder was given up after this year. It is the wild west and I don't care to spend time down there. We had 2 full on gun fights happen less than a mile from us while we were sitting in deer blinds. We had a group roll up on a fellow lessee father daughter combo with ar's. We had our trailers fucked up and power at the pole fucked up. Someone shot 2 cows for whatever the fuck reason. It is chaos. I am sticking to my small ranch up by junction and just putting that money from the lease into it. I will stick to what I actually own. Fuck dying over big deer.

Oh I forgot about the old ass bronco found at the end of the ranch burned out.

@HOOKEM4 where were y’all?   Our company used to have a big place in Laredo that would commonly get visitors, but never anything violent like that.  Fuck a bunch of gunfights within bullet flying distance.   I love south Texas, there isn’t anywhere like it.  I’d really love to hunt old Mexico, but sadly, I believe that ship has sailed.  

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@HOOKEM4 where were y’all?   Our company used to have a big place in Laredo that would commonly get visitors, but never anything violent like that.  Fuck a bunch of gunfights within bullet flying distance.   I love south Texas, there isn’t anywhere like it.  I’d really love to hunt old Mexico, but sadly, I believe that ship has sailed.  

It is west of carrizo springs a couple miles from the border. There were always visitors but the last few years got crazier and crazier. I never went anywhere without atleast my 45 but it got to the point where we were outgunned. After the last gunfight, as the hunters hauled ass out of there, they came across a body that was dumped off the county road. Just insane.

Edited by HOOKEM4

17 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

You don't ever sell land.

Sigh, if only this was true.....so many larger family tracts getting carved up into smaller "hobby ranches" 

Happened to us.  We still have a little over a section, but used to be 2,500+ acres

Edited by BabaYaga

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Some people drive past the lottery signs of the payout amounts and dream of yachts and fancy cars.  I dream of buying back thousands of acres of family land, sitting by a campfire, and listening to the yotes' sing.  

Unfortunately there’s no real way around it. If I win, I’d be living on a huge tract. But with certainty by the time it reaches grandkids (maybe even kids) they might not think living in middle of nowhere south Texas is what they want in life. If you take the lottery aspect out of it, and the property is where the actual wealth is, your choices are move to hebbronville or don’t have an inheritance. It sucks, but I can see why it constantly happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Unfortunately there’s no real way around it. If I win, I’d be living on a huge tract. But with certainty by the time it reaches grandkids (maybe even kids) they might not think living in middle of nowhere south Texas is what they want in life. If you take the lottery aspect out of it, and the property is where the actual wealth is, your choices are move to hebbronville or don’t have an inheritance. It sucks, but I can see why it constantly happens. 

Every situation is different, but between my brother and I, the discussions were had well in advance on where the property would reside.  He lives out of state and never visits the land.  I do.  I manage and handle all the leasing, vetting of hunters, everything.  So the talks were he gets everything liquid from my parents (who are closer to him than me).  That means money, house, etc.  I get the land and all the cost and responsibilities that go with it, but that's it.  Hopefully I can set in advance with my children that they will have the means to support both a family and the land for generations to come, but that is all I can do at this point.  

I know it's silly, but when I watch Yellowstone and hear Costner's talk about "keeping" the land, ranch etc and nothing else matters......I get it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We’ve got thermals as well but there are times when we are distracted having cold beverages and missed them at the feeder.

You can get cheap solar lights on amazon that have motion sensors. They serve as a good indicator of whether or not anything is under the feeder, and you don't really need a lot of light under there if you are using thermals or NV.

I understand the desire to keep generational land is greater, too. And size definitely matters.  I know a guy that bought (and sold) his 5k acre place and settled on his 1.5k acre place in the same county because 5k acres is a shitload to take care of.  His life, business, etc was 8 hours away in another state, and while an avid outdoorsman/cattleman, it is just too much to handle.  He’s got a team of guys that takes care of the smaller place and they stay busy. He’s got tons of money, so his kids will be psyched to be able to continue to fly their plane down to their ranch.  But I could see their non-rich cousins preferring the ~5m bucks.  “Land guys” know the feeling. I’d find a way up uproot and head that way if I was handed a 4 digit piece. While nothing would make me happier than my 3 girls taking it and going another generation deep with it, I wouldn’t expect it (unless there was some other deal like you and your brother were able to work out). I feel like the difference between a 1m ranch and a 10m ranch would make things much, much more difficult.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I understand the desire to keep generational land is greater, too. And size definitely matters.  I know a guy that bought (and sold) his 5k acre place and settled on his 1.5k acre place in the same county because 5k acres is a shitload to take care of.  His life, business, etc was 8 hours away in another state, and while an avid outdoorsman/cattleman, it is just too much to handle.  He’s got a team of guys that takes care of the smaller place and they stay busy. He’s got tons of money, so his kids will be psyched to be able to continue to fly their plane down to their ranch.  But I could see their non-rich cousins preferring the ~5m bucks.  “Land guys” know the feeling. I’d find a way up uproot and head that way if I was handed a 4 digit piece. While nothing would make me happier than my 3 girls taking it and going another generation deep with it, I wouldn’t expect it (unless there was some other deal like you and your brother were able to work out). I feel like the difference between a 1m ranch and a 10m ranch would make things much, much more difficult.  

That's the rub. Someone eventually wants to cash out.

One of our places it is protected for a long while.  Grandparents gave to kids a life estate and grandkids a remainder.  He also set up a trust with ample funds to maintain and do cap ex as needed.  So no one is coming out of pocket (and really my mom and her siblings could take income distributions if they wanted to but none do so the corpus has grown).  The way it is set up, there is basically no financial incentive to sell until my generation dies.  My youngest cousin is 16, so that's a long time.

Other place is interesting.  If it was my call, we would sell 7k acres and get it to 5k.  Preferably sell to a family on our south fence line who has 50,000 or so acres and more money than God. 12k is time consuming and expensive to manage.  Take the cash and set up another trust for expenses and cap ex. 

Narrator note -- it's not my call.

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

That's the rub. Someone eventually wants to cash out.

Yep. And while there’s a ton of people with wealthy families and land, there’s a bunch that just have the land. I used to hunt on a place that was 17k, and they owned another 24k. They didn’t have FU money, at all*. They eventually got some O&G royalties, but they never had any until not all that long ago. The hunters likely paid more than they made on the cattle, because it takes damn near 100 acres/head out there.  The neighbors got the windmills and made a fortune.  I reckon a big reason this family never “cashed out” was no one ever left and became a doctor or lawyer in the big city.  Off to aggy, come back and punch cows or start dropping kids.  Fin. 

*they obv could have had big money, if they sold some of the land. But that would defeat the purpose I guess. 

• Like 1

One of the big topics in our family when we get together for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. is the family land. My grandfather and great grandfather bought it together after WWII. The folks who sold it to them told them they wouldn't be able to make the payments, but they did. My mom and her siblings have the mindset that family land isn't sold, and her brother has even bought up my great aunt's portion that has been mostly neglected for years. But I worry because they now have that portion along with the acreage that the old house sat on, and their kids are mostly detached from it all. I have one aunt without kids and she asked me if I would rather have money or the land. Stupid question. Anyhow, I hate to see the land get fragmented further and further with each generation. The plan right now is to find some way to set up some sort of trust or whatever so that everyone can use it, but it doesn't get split up.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yep. And while there’s a ton of people with wealthy families and land, there’s a bunch that just have the land. I used to hunt on a place that was 17k, and they owned another 24k. They didn’t have FU money, at all*. They eventually got some O&G royalties, but they never had any until not all that long ago. The hunters likely paid more than they made on the cattle, because it takes damn near 100 acres/head out there.  The neighbors got the windmills and made a fortune.  I reckon a big reason this family never “cashed out” was no one ever left and became a doctor or lawyer in the big city.  Off to aggy, come back and punch cows or start dropping kids.  Fin. 

*they obv could have had big money, if they sold some of the land. But that would defeat the purpose I guess. 

Even wealthy families will sell land.  You got a low basis that gets stepped up at death.  Time and money commitments to take care of it right.  Heirs who don't like to hunt, ranch or use the land.

The shale boom has helped a lot of people not have to sell land, assuming it is old family land and they still own minerals.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Even wealthy families will sell land.  You got a low basis that gets stepped up at death.  Time and money commitments to take care of it right.  Heirs who don't like to hunt, ranch or use the land.

The shale boom has helped a lot of people not have to sell land, assuming it is old family land and they still own minerals.

Surface rights pay well, too 

20 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Those raging fires in south texas near/on king ranch are huge.
Doesnt Lat have a lease near there?
Man hope it gets knocked out soon.
Sorry no linky

Next pasture to ours.  2.5 miles away.  Didn’t know about them until I was at work this AM, so I just finished 10 hours of driving to run down and get camper out.  It is unbelievably dry too.  This year going to suck if we don’t get some rain in a hurry. Met fire and rescue at gate and they told me to leave the gate open in case they needed to get the bulldozers in.  

eta: I had ash falling on me while hooking up the camper.  Smoky af, and had a headache from it all the way home.  Hoping they can get it under control. Lots of really really prime quail habitat being destroyed right now.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Next pasture to ours.  2.5 miles away.  Didn’t know about them until I was at work this AM, so I just finished 10 hours of driving to run down and get camper out.  It is unbelievably dry too.  This year going to suck if we don’t get some rain in a hurry. Met fire and rescue at gate and they told me to leave the gate open in case they needed to get the bulldozers in.  

That's a bit too close for comfort.  Fire, like droughts and floods, is a natural process, but it can be pretty darned inconvenient at times.

• Hook 'Em 1

eta: I had ash falling on me while hooking up the camper.  Smoky af, and had a headache from it all the way home.  Hoping they can get it under control. Lots of really really prime quail habitat being destroyed right now.  

Sorry fatty. Sucks to hear.
Hope yall come thru without any damage. Yep, dry as hell. Deer gonna be struggling this year.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Next pasture to ours.  2.5 miles away.

Updated info. Fire made it to our ranch, but not our portion (westernmost 1/3). Currently 5100’ from our fence line, but that portion has apparently been extinguished.  Hoping this thing gets under control for everyone involved.  

We’ve got a place 6 miles east of Falfurrias that the fire got to within 4 miles. Scary as shit and not out of the woods yet, but they seem to have that part under control. Our place south of town just north of the checkpoint in fine. For now. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1