2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

On 2/18/2022 at 7:31 PM, deadshank said:

Gato montes tomas taking down a full grown doe right next to blind this afternoon.  (Pic and video by another camp member). 

1EC7BCB4-EE9D-4B36-9A7F-A7AD5592AA30.jpeg

It seems like the doe is only making a half-ass attempt to get away.  I’ve seen deer move way faster than that across the highway for instance. 

16 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Made a quick trip to the ranch Saturday afternoon after my son's baseball games in Kerrville.  We have just a bit of corn left in the feeders.  Maybe a week's worth at this point, so they're still spinning.  I bought two new boxes of 270 ammo last weekend, but left them at home.  Didn't bring my AR either.  So, I ended up using the old Marlin 30-30 with a 4x Tasco scope that I leave at the ranch.  Climbed in the stand at 5:45, and at 5:57 a sow and three piglets crossed the sendero.  I could see them in the brush behind the feeder looking up at it and waiting patiently for it to go off.  They were under the feeder before it stopped spinning.  I shot this little 30-lb sow through the left eye when she had her head down facing me.  I forgot that I was shooting that 30-30 and not the 223.  Oops.  Serious gut shot on the exit wound.  30 min later, it was butterflied and on the grill.  I just drag the big boars that we shoot off into the brush, but damn that little sow sure was tasty.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I've gotta learn to do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

@fattyflattie great minds think alike indeed!  I always gravitate towards shooting the tan ones for some reason.  Psychologically, I tell myself they taste better.

@BabaYaga I've done cabrito on the iron cross before but never a pig.  I'm sure it would be excellent.  We wanted to eat it that night, so we threw it straight over oak coals on the grill.  

@Lat22 same here.  I even told my wife that I was gonna bust a piglet if they came out.  First time that plan came together.  Even got to clean it in broad daylight.

@davidg it was outstanding.  Even the hams were tender.  Only downside is how small the tenderloins were.  Pretty much two bites on each side and they were gone!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Looks like at least one lone boar has finally found my new feeder at the Scurry County ranch. I baited a hole earlier this week with nasty strawberry shit and the Sawaiian Crush and he stayed there for over an hour last night. We are going to eventually replace this old barrel feeder with an EZ-Fill.

Also got a call earlier this week that my tank blind is ready for pickup. It's going to go on a hill overlooking this spot. Hopefully we can get the pigs coming regularly now if we keep the bait hole filled. Might make for some fun summer nights. 

image.png.e23a3fd761d711c42feb7851087a2c9d.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

When I was a kid 40 years ago I remember there being jackrabbits and cottontails all over Scurry County.

My dad made a comment the other day that the coyotes have to work harder for food now that the rabbits are gone. That made me realize that I hadn't seen a rabbit on our place in years. 

Saw this last night at the feeder. 

PICT7443_202203060117Yhr1G.jpg.0502496da381e52aa10521109b2a98ab.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I just freed a skunk from a dogproof raccoon trap without getting sprayed. Someone give me a merit badge. 

IMG_8390.jpg.2d769e1c6827c65d280af65e90d3319c.jpg

Nice film clip there.   A real masterpiece your have.  Martin Scorsese gonna go back to his studio to figure out what he’s doing wrong.  

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I freed a skunk from a Have-A-Heart trap once.  It was after dispatching a .22 to his head, but I removed him from the trap, nonetheless.  

@crimsonlonghorn why on earth did you even tempt fate by trying to let him out?  Nice job, but damn.  I wouldn't have thought twice about perforating a skunk.  

Spaulding, that wheel behind the skunk is one of my coops that has 20 six week old pullets inside. A week ago it had 24 five week old pullets. 

I thought it was a raccoon that had done the deed, so I set a trap. But instead I caught a much bigger skunk on Friday and I didn't even think twice about popping him with the 22 and throwing his nasty stinky ass over the fence. I'm pretty sure this guy was the chick killer. 

996673253_IMG_8365copy.jpg.c0ead56a22f69bb824090612d5ecf727.jpg

But this coop is in my wife's vegetable garden and skunks are beneficial. They eat insects and grubs and snails. This one today was tiny and I felt guilty about killing it considering that I had already made some improvements to the coop and I seriously doubted that it could bother the chicks at this point. It was probably more attracted to the cat food in the trap and not the chicks, honestly. 

So I did a little reading and decided I could try and let it go. The advice was to hold a blanket or a towel in front of you and slowly walk towards it from the front, then throw the towel over it and be sure to cover its tail so it couldn't hop up and turn around and spray. So I did that and it calmly lied under the towel while I reached down and pulled back on the spring and freed its front foot from the trap. It stayed there for a few seconds after it was free and then it took off for the drainage ditch before I could get a good video. 

I actually feel good that I didn't kill it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

But this coop is in my wife's vegetable garden and skunks are beneficial. They eat insects and grubs and snails. This one today was tiny and I felt guilty about killing it considering that I had already made some improvements to the coop and I seriously doubted that it could bother the chicks at this point. It was probably more attracted to the cat food in the trap and not the chicks, honestly. 

So I did a little reading and decided I could try and let it go. The advice was to hold a blanket or a towel in front of you and slowly walk towards it from the front, then throw the towel over it and be sure to cover its tail so it couldn't hop up and turn around and spray. So I did that and it calmly lied under the towel while I reached down and pulled back on the spring and freed its front foot from the trap. It stayed there for a few seconds after it was free and then it took off for the drainage ditch before I could get a good video. 

I actually feel good that I didn't kill it. 

Nits become lice.  It will be back for a chicken dinner when it gets older.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2022 at 1:46 PM, The Royal We said:

These guys out of Lockhart make a mobile version of this that I'd love to have if I had $5k I wanted to set on fire:

8U2A1675_1024x1024.jpg?v=1631036038

https://millscale.co/collections/cookers/products/open-fire-grills

So I'm just about fresh out of projects at the house.  Thinking this might be perfect for drinking beer in the garage at night, while stacking dimes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

So I'm just about fresh out of projects at the house.  Thinking this might be perfect for drinking beer in the garage at night, while stacking dimes. 

Do It GIF by Breaking Bad

And post pictures of your progress too. 

There's a lot of different ways to cook on that bad boy.

5 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Nope, dunno where they came from. None of the farms around have dogs like that. One a few lots over has 2 germans but that’s about it.

Someone’s dogs running aloosed on your property is not good.  Gets worse when they associate corn feeders and the smell of deer then become repeat visitors.   

On 3/15/2022 at 7:55 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Picked up the new tank blind and a new EZ feeder yesterday. Very pleased with both. 

03925E2F-B4A2-453C-BC65-C8AE2A5006D5.thumb.jpeg.a72df0118da242e1a57a6c44aa0aff76.jpeg

9BA18A4A-B6F0-4B68-9710-50E86FA579EA.thumb.jpeg.191199dd781efaabe8e200a1c4e27928.jpeg

721C04FD-349C-425F-8C7F-8609367A67E1.thumb.jpeg.7f35384e770a87431a34be3983226d1c.jpeg

0D07209B-DB5F-47AB-A8F5-23CDE07960A2.thumb.jpeg.15f5bbfb5498b8c44b6d610d71b02535.jpeg

Love ours. It's "cadillac'ed" out with gunracks, insulation, and a shooting table aka the buffet table.

CHIEF

On 3/16/2022 at 10:23 AM, CHIEF said:

Love ours. It's "cadillac'ed" out with gunracks, insulation, and a shooting table aka the buffet table.

CHIEF

Big enough to sleep in?  As I become more and more of a lazy old turd, I just crash in the blind and set my alarm on the cell.  Easier than waking, dressing, and driving out to the spot.  I'm getting soft....;)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Big enough to sleep in?  As I become more and more of a lazy old turd, I just crash in the blind and set my alarm on the cell.  Easier than waking, dressing, and driving out to the spot.  I'm getting soft....;)

That has been my approach to hunting for many years.  I hate getting up at dark-thirty and scaring off errything when I climb into the blind.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/16/2022 at 10:23 AM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

On 3/22/2022 at 5:44 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

That has been my approach to hunting for many years.  I hate getting up at dark-thirty and scaring off errything when I climb into the blind.

On 3/22/2022 at 3:48 PM, BabaYaga said:

I intend to try and sleep in mine. It's freaking HUGE on the inside. I've been in deer blinds that are barely big enough for two chairs. This one has enough room for a card table and 4 chairs. Plenty of room to stretch out on the floor and sleep. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I intend to try and sleep in mine. It's freaking HUGE on the inside. I've been in deer blinds that are barely big enough for two chairs. This one has enough room for a card table and 4 chairs. Plenty of room to stretch out on the floor and sleep. 

Jeffreysleepingtankblind.JPG

Here is CHIEF Jr. sleeping in ours, behind the office chairs. There is plenty of room. He is 6' and 220 lbs.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 2

Had a little incident a few weeks ago.  The rancher next door to us called to say some foreign exchange students crashed through a fence several miles to the west of us to avoid the nice fellows on the white and green vehicles.   The runners were in a RAM dually and stayed off the highway only to bust through multiple fences on three different ranches as they headed back east to avoid detection.  

The BP won’t give chase in their vehicles onto the ranches.  The coyote driving and his charges kept going at it.  The rancher called me to say they were on our place and the he had forgotten the lock code on the little used gate along the river that allows us to go back and forth between our two adjoining properties.   I gave him the code and he went in to investigate and then lost sight of the fine folks in the truck. 

Three weeks later, the very same rancher has people in from NJ to shoot pigs out of a helicopter over his place. They sweep over our southeast corner of our place as they are turning around while flying their grid and they spot the stolen truck on our side.   We go over to investigate yesterday and find the truck, locate some papers and track down the owner living in Bonham.  He was at the SA rodeo and his truck got boosted from the motel parking lot.  

His insurance carrier already wrote off the truck and paid him out.  The Uvalde Counter Sheriff’s department sent out a deputy to verify it was the truck and then a tow truck showed up to pull the RAM out of the brush,‘take it to impound and eventually sell it.  

What a mess. 

2FD81C1A-5C19-4031-8041-2D9F0210D8DC.jpeg

C2563CDA-EF5D-4A7B-A075-149F18411BD3.jpeg

28DE7B5B-56B9-4FFF-9512-4A83AE0DA5C5.jpeg

4CF27AD7-0167-4420-8ABB-5211C1B68053.jpeg

• Rage+1 4