I just don’t understand why y’all are surprised

HSFC

This might be true, but they were noticeably bigger and faster than we were. 
No, they were more ready to play and bring the wood. They werent faster, just more decisive and sure where to run. Their QB was the size of both ours put together so I'll give you that.

We're everyone's super bowl. That's what the players don't ever seem to get. Yes we're mediocre and have been for a decade but it's still enjoyable to beat mean, arrogant Texas and their candy ass entitled players. I was hoping Sark would make them get that they are going always have that target on their back because Alabama always had that on their backs. 
He talked about that to the 9.95'ers and said the right things, not sure he got that across to the team..

I'm not surprised the least. Hiring a highly successful offensive coordinator who flamed out at not one, but two power five schools accumulating a 46-35 record along the way with an absolutely horrendous  record on the road was not a surprise to this guy. Should've held on to Herman for one more year waiting for a home run hire to become available than kicking the tires on some bum with a flashy social media campaign some moron in the marketing dept contrived all gas no brakes baby!!!! Anyone that bought into that was a guppy.
He didnt flame out at Washington, that was his springboard to the USC job. Having said that, not sure he would have gotten the condom job if he hadnt been QB whisperer under Carroll at USC during their last heyday...so point taken.

On 9/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, Harvdog said:

We got beat.  We weren’t tough on either line.  It’s sucked.  

I went to LA in 1998 and watched UCLA rip us apart.  We had a new coach and all the fans were acting the same way they are now.  We lost our next game and we’re 1-2.  Then we played Rice and got on a roll.

People need to relax and let the coaches coach.  I remember when Saban lost to ULM his first year. It takes time.  Sometimes I think our fan base are the absolute worst. I had us down for 9-3 this year.  I will take Sark 10000x’s over Herman.

This

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:39 AM, Darth Tron said:

This is the scary part.  I was to understand this guy could coach.  It was apparent that Arky was content to run the ball down our throats and we couldn’t stop them.  Never adjusting to that reeks of stubborn pride or delusion.  We were never going to catch up if we didn’t get stops.  At a certain point you gotta stack the box and hope the secondary wins enough one on ones to get them off the field.  We never tried, and instead the safeties up top got burned anyway.

what was the D in when Ark hit the long pass to essentially end the game?

On 9/12/2021 at 8:48 AM, David Dennison said:

This might be true, but they were noticeably bigger and faster than we were. 

I just don’t agree with this. This I what the “ SEC, SEC” crowd want you to believe. They were bigger at some positions and smaller at others. As a team we are probably faster. Did they play faster? Yes. Were they more physical? Yes. That is the problem.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The only thing that surprised me was how insanely stupid Sark was trotting Card out there time and time again. That whole definition of insanity bit. I knew we made another mediocre to bad hire with this guy I just didn't realize he was *THAT* stupid. 

Total Agreement. You could see it easily in the First Quarter that Card was scared to death to make a mistake. Holding onto the ball, not taking a shot somewhere. On one of the other threads, someone made the comment that Sark does not like a running QB. With an OL this shitty, we can only hope and pray, whichever one we end up with at QB he can RUN.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think there has been a single year, over the last 4 years,  where Arkansas has ranked even close to Texas in recruiting. We supposedly have the best coaches and top notch facilities and we got buttfucked on national tv. 
Yea. I am a little surprised 

Why are you surprised? Facilities don’t play guard. Stars are meant fuck all to Iowa State, TCU and Kansas when they kicked our asses.

It meant shit when we kicked Georgia’s ass all over the field.

Rankings are nice. Stars are nice. Stars dont win football games. Forget what was stated around here when Mack was the coach.

We still have people who think Greg Davis was terrible and yet no one in college football has come close to having a decade like he did. I remember the talking heads back then dismissing his involvement in the program that “anyone can roll out of bed and win 10 games a year at Texas. We have seen how that played out.

We bought a 7-5 coach who’s record on the road is 12-23.  

Saturdays loss should not be shocking, although the complete ass kicking in every aspect was surprising from a team who has won like 3 total conference games in the past 3 years. 

Most of that is going 7-21 in road games at Washington.

Look, he’s either figured shit out after being humbled and studying under Saban or he’ll be out in four years. Only a booze relapse has him gone before that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was surprised because Arkansas is not a good team and really haven't been since leaving the SWC.  They are in the bottom half of the 14 team conference as well as in their 7 team division.  Yeah it's definitely a rivalry anyone on the Texas side was dumb as shit for suggesting or stating otherwise.  That's not an excuse for this performance though.

What specifically surprised me was the softness of both lines.  I know a million people have said it but when the O line just stands around letting late hits on their QB go unpunished that is a mortal sin.  Their future children should feel the wrath that Flood should mete out on them this week.

I don't think QB play was the deciding factor in the loss, not nearly.  But it was a little bit surprising Card was left in as long as he was.  His targets weren't helping him but he was flat out missing way too many throws.

The offensive play calling was maybe Sark's worst collegiate effort?  It was predictable, and it was not working and he didn't seem to ever change it.  Even changing QBs, Casey was just better at taking what the defense was giving and it was garbage time as well.  Every drive seemed to be decent run play first down, stuffed run play second down, missed throw/dropped ball 3rd down.  The end.

Finally the most egregious thing to me was the lack of significant adjustment at the half.  At the very least I expected a dramatically different, simpler blocking scheme for the line.  A 3 man front beat them all night.  No excuse for that.  They looked worse, execution wise, than a decent high school O line does in Texas.

I thought this was a good hire but after game 2 I am very worried we have Post-Mack 3.0 on our hands.  I mean granted Strong is the literal worst hire in the entire history of the program but for all his flaws Herman never had a team get beat to fuck, and quit, like this in his 4 years.  This 19 point game felt like a much bigger ass kicking from a much shittier roster.  And for all the hype the staff got, they shit the bed worse than the players.  Out coached across the board.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 9/12/2021 at 6:38 AM, HSFC said:

All the insiders said the OL was a problem and Sark doesn’t have the WRs he needs.  

Hate to break it to you but the secondary is just as bad as last year too.  Don’t let Arkansas running for over 300 yards make you forget about the secondary before Big 12 play.

People wanted to see improvement over last year. That didn’t happen last week. Give Sark time to get his system and his players in. We will be playoff contenders soon enough.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, Chad said:

I'm not surprised the least. Hiring a highly successful offensive coordinator who flamed out at not one, but two power five schools accumulating a 46-35 record along the way with an absolutely horrendous  record on the road was not a surprise to this guy. Should've held on to Herman for one more year waiting for a home run hire to become available than kicking the tires on some bum with a flashy social media campaign some moron in the marketing dept contrived all gas no brakes baby!!!! Anyone that bought into that was a guppy.

If they were going to fire Herman anyway (and apparently the bowl game win didn't matter) they should have fired him before the early signing period. By waiting until January 2nd to do it they put Sark behind in recruiting his guys. I don't remember but how good of a class had Herman signed at that point?

The leadership didn't help the new coach out by doing that. UNLESS Herman and Sark wanted exactly the same players.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bornbama1 said:

If they were going to fire Herman anyway (and apparently the bowl game win didn't matter) they should have fired him before the early signing period. By waiting until January 2nd to do it they put Sark behind in recruiting his guys. I don't remember but how good of a class had Herman signed at that point?

The leadership didn't help the new coach out by doing that. UNLESS Herman and Sark wanted exactly the same players.

We were still chasing Urban Meyer. Sark was the backup plan after Urban decided to go slum with the Jacksonville fucking Jaguars dumpster fire.

On 9/12/2021 at 6:38 AM, HSFC said:

All the insiders said the OL was a problem and Sark doesn’t have the WRs he needs.  

Hate to break it to you but the secondary is just as bad as last year too.  Don’t let Arkansas running for over 300 yards make you forget about the secondary before Big 12 play.

I mean I wasn't surprised we lost to Arkansas at all. I am certainly aware we have personnel issues all over the place and nobody in this program has been able to block since 2006.

Sure I was disappointed we did as bad as we did though. It is not like Arkansad doesn't also have issues.

But hey it is a process. I hope for better things as Sark does his thing.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, bornbama1 said:

It cost less money to wait until after Jan 1

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark picked the wrong QB to start the season and that has a huge impact in this loss. Card was wide eyed with fear and shit the bed. That's the risk with going with a freshman and why I was adamant if they're close you start Thompson. 

Once the defense just got nothing but attacked constantly by a hyped up physical opponent for 2 straight quarters, only giving up 16 pts, they were shot. Once Thompson came in the game was out of reach bit we outplayed them the rest of the way. With Thompson leading the team from game 1 this doesn't happen. 

Sark picked the wrong QB to start the season and that has a huge impact in this loss. Card was wide eyed with fear and shit the bed. That's the risk with going with a freshman and why I was adamant if they're close you start Thompson. 
Once the defense just got nothing but attacked constantly by a hyped up physical opponent for 2 straight quarters, only giving up 16 pts, they were shot. Once Thompson came in the game was out of reach bit we outplayed them the rest of the way. With Thompson leading the team from game 1 this doesn't happen. 

I may not be remembering it correctly, but it seemed to me that Arky was happy to just run the clock and get out of there with a win and limit injuries and not a case of us beating them in the 4th.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:43 PM, Hozz said:

I was surprised because Arkansas is not a good team and really haven't been since leaving the SWC.  They are in the bottom half of the 14 team conference as well as in their 7 team division.  Yeah it's definitely a rivalry anyone on the Texas side was dumb as shit for suggesting or stating otherwise.  That's not an excuse for this performance though.

What specifically surprised me was the softness of both lines.  I know a million people have said it but when the O line just stands around letting late hits on their QB go unpunished that is a mortal sin.  Their future children should feel the wrath that Flood should mete out on them this week.

I don't think QB play was the deciding factor in the loss, not nearly.  But it was a little bit surprising Card was left in as long as he was.  His targets weren't helping him but he was flat out missing way too many throws.

The offensive play calling was maybe Sark's worst collegiate effort?  It was predictable, and it was not working and he didn't seem to ever change it.  Even changing QBs, Casey was just better at taking what the defense was giving and it was garbage time as well.  Every drive seemed to be decent run play first down, stuffed run play second down, missed throw/dropped ball 3rd down.  The end.

Finally the most egregious thing to me was the lack of significant adjustment at the half.  At the very least I expected a dramatically different, simpler blocking scheme for the line.  A 3 man front beat them all night.  No excuse for that.  They looked worse, execution wise, than a decent high school O line does in Texas.

I thought this was a good hire but after game 2 I am very worried we have Post-Mack 3.0 on our hands.  I mean granted Strong is the literal worst hire in the entire history of the program but for all his flaws Herman never had a team get beat to fuck, and quit, like this in his 4 years.  This 19 point game felt like a much bigger ass kicking from a much shittier roster.  And for all the hype the staff got, they shit the bed worse than the players.  Out coached across the board.

don't forget Kendall Briles mounted the great PK like he was in Deliverance.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

It's almost like Sark & staff didn't even watch the Alamo Bowl film.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Cashcar said:

Kids don’t grow up dreaming of playing at Texas these days and we aren’t playing the bag / NIL game like the power schools are. 

I mean, sure, but this was true in 1999 too. Seems like tons of the top TX players in the 90s went to Miami, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc, and A&M was getting a lot of them too. We didn’t get Simms and Redding and Benson and VY because they grew up dreaming about Texas, we got them because Mack was a badass recruiter/salesman. And to your second point - this is a bigger deal and will increasingly render the “dream school” thing meaningless.  I’m old and talking out of my ass, but it seems to me that kids nowadays may be more enamored with dreams of developing their personal celebrity and exposure than with any particular school (and the schools that facilitate this the best will reap the benefits). 

On 9/12/2021 at 8:01 AM, nineliveslost said:

I don't think there has been a single year, over the last 4 years,  where Arkansas has ranked even close to Texas in recruiting. We supposedly have the best coaches and top notch facilities and we got buttfucked on national tv. 

Yea. I am a little surprised 

giphy_s.gif

21 hours ago, Cashcar said:

Urban was our only hope to turn recruiting around. We’re proper fucked for the long haul.

Kids don’t grow up dreaming of playing at Texas these days and we aren’t playing the bag / NIL game like the power schools are. 

We've been fucked for the long haul since Charlie Strong's second year.  We're constantly missing good secondary recruits and OL prospects because we haven't had consistent NFL draft picks from those two areas in a decade.  We're wandering the desert right now.  We're not just now wandering the desert but have been for the past 6 years.

After more than a decade of a repetitious history of shocking early season non-conference losses/poor performances through (4) different head coaches, these results should indeed no longer be the least bit shocking.  UCLA, Marylandx2, BYUx2, CALx2, @Notre Dame, Arkansas: that’s 9 years of such results right there all in the last decade.  If it is at all “shocking” it’s because college football is an inherently unbalanced playing field where Texas certainly is one of the “Have’s” in a sea of “Have-Not’s”.  Logic dictates that after 3 head coaching changes, the fact that the problem continues to persist requires searching for the cause elsewhere.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:36 AM, Tex Pete said:

You haven’t been following Longhorn Football closely over the past decade, have you?

Yes I actually do as much as possible. It was an attempt at humor/sarcasm. This site is the second place I go to for all my CFB sports discussion right after RBR. I don't comment a lot, but joined the Shaggy Bevo back in 2009. Lots of good analysis, comments meltdowns, etc. here.

• Hook 'Em 1