Culture

Pancho

I've been kind of pondering this.  Look at this board. It's probably the biggest board in college sports and the most active.  Yet, football-wise, we've had little to really cheer about for more than a decade.

Many or most of us were admitted to UT when it wasn't very competitive, and it's still not compared to elite schools. Yet we place extremely high value on our degrees and attendance at UT.

We are an extremely loyal and pretty tight-knit bunch that are extraordinarily proud of The University of Texas.  Not just for sports, for the academics, for everything.  I'd say quite a bit moreso than the alumni of most schools.  And this without having a pretty uniform student profile like eaTme.  UT is like Ferris Bueller: the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - we all adore UT.

Everyone else, I mean everyone, thinks we're arrogant as hell.  And they're probably right.

Something happens to most of us spending four years or more or less on the 40.  I'm not quite sure what it is, but it seems to be a bit different from most other places.

It seems like whatever that is is fucking up the football program.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The issue with the culture is no one is accountable for poor play. The same shitty OL that barely got Robinson to a 5 yard average against a Sun Belt team, played nearly the entire game against Arkansas. To me this is most glaring problem, if you aren't be held accountable for your shitty play, other players notice it.

Frankly, unless Flood massively changes the OL, then expect a few more of these games this season. TCU, OU, and ISU are going to skull fuck this current iteration of the OL.

Accountability is only useful if you have other options, otherwise its just blame

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I've been kind of pondering this.  Look at this board. It's probably the biggest board in college sports and the most active.  Yet, football-wise, we've had little to really cheer about for more than a decade.

Many or most of us were admitted to UT when it wasn't very competitive, and it's still not compared to elite schools. Yet we place extremely high value on our degrees and attendance at UT.

We are an extremely loyal and pretty tight-knit bunch that are extraordinarily proud of The University of Texas.  Not just for sports, for the academics, for everything.  I'd say quite a bit moreso than the alumni of most schools.  And this without having a pretty uniform student profile like eaTme.  UT is like Ferris Bueller: the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - we all adore UT.

Everyone else, I mean everyone, thinks we're arrogant as hell.  And they're probably right.

Something happens to most of us spending four years or more or less on the 40.  I'm not quite sure what it is, but it seems to be a bit different from most other places.

It's extremely competitive if you don't get in automatically.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's extremely competitive if you don't get in automatically.

That's a giant IF, there.  And the admits to most elite schools would get into UT automatically, while the converse is not true, at all.

The real counterpoint to my theory is that this "culture" most likely existed when we did have sustained success, I think.  Maybe back then we were just more like rabid football fans similar to other fanbases.  I'm not 100% on that.  And possibly, the success begat the culture rather than the culture inhibiting the success.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

That's a giant IF, there.  And the admits to most elite schools would get into UT automatically, while the converse is not true, at all.

That's not necessarily true. The top 6% is not an easy feat, even for the most ambitious students. A lot of those kids can still get into highly selective schools while not getting the auto bid to Texas.

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The only thing I can think of is DeLoss Dodds attitude and arrogance projected to the entire university especially when there were presidents of the university that didn’t care about sports. DeLoss was able to gain more power and influence and a lot of his lackeys are still filling up the halls of the AD. 

That is an oversimplified version maybe some historian type can fill in the blanks and point to key changes from the end of DKR to Akers run and everything after Akers. 

I think long term our 6-7% admittance is going to hurt us in terms of alumni who give a shit about sports. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The only thing I can think of is DeLoss Dodds attitude and arrogance projected to the entire university especially when there were presidents of the university that didn’t care about sports. DeLoss was able to gain more power and influence and a lot of his lackeys are still filling up the halls of the AD. 

That is an oversimplified version maybe some historian type can fill in the blanks and point to key changes from the end of DKR to Akers run and everything after Akers. 

I think long term our 6-7% admittance is going to hurt us in terms of alumni who give a shit about sports. 

Well, as noted in the previous post, I think our collective arrogance preceded Dodds and it was kind of a "mutual admiration society" where perhaps the student-alumni arrogance bled over into athletics and they wound up reinforcing each other.

But you gotta admit, we are kind of a special bunch in terms of thinking very highly of ourselves as a group, and our university, and our football program when we don't necessarily have full justification to do so.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, as noted in the previous post, I think our collective arrogance preceded Dodds and it was kind of a "mutual admiration society" where perhaps the student-alumni arrogance bled over into athletics and they wound up reinforcing each other.

But you gotta admit, we are kind of a special bunch in terms of thinking very highly of ourselves as a group, and our university, and our football program when we don't necessarily have full justification to do so.

Money will do that.

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

If that's the case why do schools like Ohio St consistently have success regardless of who they hire at HC? You'd think by just random chance they'd fuck up a hire every now and then, but they consistently fall ass backwards into head coaches who can consistently muster 10 wins seasons multiple times throughout their stay in Columbus. 

Ohio is a football state and produces good coaches. Every coach who’s ever won a national championship at tOSU is from Ohio: Paul Brown, Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel, and Urban Meyer. Bob Stoops is also from Ohio. Bo Schembechler too. Lou Holtz, Nick Saban, and Pete Carroll all coached at tOSU. (Earle Bruce fired Saban after his first year along with other defensive coaches because the defense sucked.)

There’s also a lot of good football players that come out of Ohio. Maybe not as many as from larger states but there’s good talent here. Off the top of my head I can name Heisman winners Joe Burrow, Troy Smith, Desmond Howard, Charles Woodson, Archie Griffin (twice!), and Howard “Hopalong” Cassady who were all from Ohio. (I could name some American Presidents too but that’s a subject for another thread.)

In recent history, Michigan has had their greatest success when they’ve recruited good players from Ohio. They’re not doing that anymore and I think that’s their problem, not “culture.” Mark Dantonio at MSU (born in El Paso, TX), Luke Fickell at UC and Mark Stoops at UK (both Ohio natives), have had success recruiting Ohio players that weren’t recruited by tOSU and then developing them.

• Drool 1

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ohio is a football state and produces good coaches. Every coach who’s ever won a national championship at tOSU is from Ohio: Paul Brown, Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel, and Urban Meyer. Bob Stoops is also from Ohio. Bo Schembechler too. Lou Holtz, Nick Saban, and Pete Carroll all coached at tOSU. (Earle Bruce fired Saban after his first year along with other defensive coaches because the defense sucked.)

There’s also a lot of good football players that come out of Ohio. Maybe not as many as from larger states but there’s good talent here. Off the top of my head I can name Heisman winners Joe Burrow, Troy Smith, Desmond Howard, Charles Woodson, Archie Griffin (twice!), and Howard “Hopalong” Cassady, Roger Staubach who were all from Ohio. (I could name some American Presidents too but that’s a subject for another thread.)

In recent history, Michigan has had their greatest success when they’ve recruited good players from Ohio. They’re not doing that anymore and I think that’s their problem, not “culture.” Mark Dantonio at MSU (born in El Paso, TX), Luke Fickell at UC and Mark Stoops at UK (both Ohio natives), have had success recruiting Ohio players that weren’t recruited by tOSU and then developing them.

Fixed. 

The exclusiveness of the program is why people claim we are arrogant. They were not accepted. That is senseless whining and has fuck all to do with okafor tackling majors.

Maybe it's unrealistic, but we need more football people in the athletic department and as AD in my opinion. It shouldn't be some Willy Loman archetype glad-handing and offering up bread and circuses. I'd much rather have someone like Augie running the program. 

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

That's not necessarily true. The top 6% is not an easy feat, even for the most ambitious students. A lot of those kids can still get into highly selective schools while not getting the auto bid to Texas.

It's easy as shit if you attend a shit high school. Can be tough if you actually attend a good one.

• Like 1

Maybe it's unrealistic, but we need more football people in the athletic department and as AD in my opinion. It shouldn't be some Willy Loman archetype glad-handing and offering up bread and circuses. I'd much rather have someone like Augie running the program. 

Sark should use this speech verbatim. Even the part about the infield and getting picked off at first base.

11 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

It's easy as shit if you attend a shit high school. Can be tough if you actually attend a good one.

Easy or not (I think it deserves respect whereever you go), it's kind of a basic qualification for the truly elite schools.  Then you have to factor in extracurriculars and other things that make you stand out, which might include economic/racial disadvantage.  Some of the latter could parlay the class rank into admission to Harvard or whatever, but many can't.

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

Are we, as fans, ever going to come to terms that we are just a slightly above-average program who stockpiles talent but can't win with it, outside of 3 coaches, one who needed a transcendent QB to win a title and the most accurate passer in NCAA history to almost win another? 

924 wins all-time but 44% of those came from 3 coaches.  Only 4 national titles and 32 conference titles total.    If you take out DKR, Mack and Fred - only a winning % around 65% with 17 conference titles and 0 national titles. 

I'm coming to terms with this is who we are.   We were spoiled by Mack/VY/Colt.  Otherwise - a big fat meh. 

Look- I get what you are saying and it has a ring of truth, but take away any schools best 3 coaches and you are likely left witha  hell of a lot worth than winning 2 out 3 and 17 conference championships.  Those numbers better a team like aggy's historical output and that's handicapping us by taking away our 3 best periods of time (really 2 since DKR to Fred was continuous in time). 

Apparently, it is harder to win here than it should be, in light of all our advantages.  Scipio and Kevin had a great EGAT podcast on that this winter called- you are so money and you don't even know it- where they went through every hire we ever have made and most of them were done on the cheap, relative to our resources.

We offered Urban Meyer a shit ton of money and we thought he was going to say yes, but then he didn't so at least this time we get partial points for trying? kinda/sorta?  Anyway, yeah, it sucks. 

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Easy or not (I think it deserves respect whereever you go), it's kind of a basic qualification for the truly elite schools.  Then you have to factor in extracurriculars and other things that make you stand out, which might include economic/racial disadvantage.  Some of the latter could parlay the class rank into admission to Harvard or whatever, but many can't.

Yeah, you and I disagree on economic/racial disadvantage, but no need to CR this thread.

We should only have one goal. To build the most hated program in the country. Hated for our natural advantages, hated for our indifference towards other programs, and especially hated for the ruthless way we apply all of those advantages to the football field. 

Instead, for too long, our admins wanted our athletic programs to be perceived like Stanford. (Shocker.) They bristle at the optics of us caring too much about sports, and they've never faced the music for this attitude because the department still prints money even when we suck. 

Something I heard for years by both fans and people inside belmont- the SEC is a bad cultural fit for Texas. Anyone who has ever uttered those words is a huge fucking pussy. There shouldnt be a single conference that is a "cultural fit" because we shouldnt care one iota what other schools think of us. I'm beyond excited to join the SEC. Not because they have great tailgating or tradition or any of that stupid bs. It's because they are clearly the best conference and I want to burn it to the ground and piss on the ashes. The model is out there under Saban. They truly believe theyre in a class of their own, and they believed it before the results proved it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Something I heard for years by both fans and people inside belmont- the SEC is a bad cultural fit for Texas. Anyone who has ever uttered those words is a huge fucking pussy. There shouldnt be a single conference that is a "cultural fit" because we shouldnt care one iota what other schools think of us. I'm beyond excited to join the SEC. Not because they have great tailgating or tradition or any of that stupid bs. It's because they are clearly the best conference and I want to burn it to the ground and piss on the ashes. The model is out there under Saban. They truly believe theyre in a class of their own, and they believed it before the results proved it. 

Yeah, and Sark should know the fuckin' model after working under Saban. The problem is he doesn't have the personnel right now to execute that plan. Hopefully, he's astute enough to adapt and maximize the potential we've got. It's not SEC Championship caliber yet.

But, Charlie and Herman should've known the Urban Model too. Neither found a way which was surprising. Especially for Mensa. /noracist

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Yeah, and Sark should know the fuckin' model after working under Saban. The problem is he doesn't have the personnel right now to execute that plan. Hopefully, he's astute enough to adapt and maximize the potential we've got. It's not SEC Championship caliber yet.

But, Charlie and Herman should've known the Urban Model too. Neither found a way which was surprising. Especially for Mensa. /noracist

I think we have enough on the roster now to win the Big 12. Our mentality last Saturday was just so poor. When your O-line gets dominated like that, it's a clear sign that they're mentally softer than baby shit. They played scared and the Arkansas D Line just engorged themselves on the fear. The game looks very different if our lineman went out there with a nasty attitude. Our line still wouldve technically gotten beat bc they arent that good, but if they put up a game long street fight no way we get blown out and we may have been able to squeek out a win. 

33 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

If it was as easy as "knowing the model" then the dozen Saban assistant coaches hired across CFB would have replicated Bama already.  Fan expectations need to be reset, people thinking we'd turn it around in one year weren't realistic.  We didn't go to shit overnight and we don't git gud overnight either.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Nivek said:

The exclusiveness of the program is why people claim we are arrogant. They were not accepted. That is senseless whining and has fuck all to do with okafor tackling majors.

This is the most "Texas" answer ever.  It's also pure bullshit, save for the last sentence...possibly.

SI's Pat Forde has a take on Texas' culture while trashing the entire program, comparing it to a Conference USA team.

Texas (1). What happened: Favored by a touchdown, the Longhorns resumed hostilities with their old Southwest Conference/future Southeastern Conference rival Arkansas and were thrashed, 40–21. One would hope the Horns were humbled, but that seems to be impossible no matter how much they lose. After taking the lead role in blowing up the college football map by jilting the Big 12, Texas just underscored that the only elite element of its program at present is in spending and making money.

If The Dash were doing an SEC power rating right now, the highest Arkansas could be is seventh. Maybe eighth or ninth. And yet the Razorbacks just punished the Longhorns like a Conference USA also-ran. Texas was outgained by more than 200 yards, and the 333 rushing yards it allowed was its most in five years. The Horns simply aren’t tough enough in the trenches right now to compete in the ultimate line of scrimmage league, and no amount of Steve Sarkisian eye candy in terms of scheme is going to change that quickly. In sum, Texas looks well behind the SEC middle class, years behind the upper echelon and not even playing the same sport as Alabama or Georgia.

Should Texas fans panic? If hearing about your school cashing big revenue checks excites the fans more than winning, no. If they want actual on-field success, by all means start panicking.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/13/cfb-which-teams-should-panic-after-week-2-miscues

• Haha 1

That was one of those games that was awful but the right coach with the proper level of screaming, conditioning, and coaxing plus a tune up game or two could get the team in a killer mindset, out for blood out of embarrassment and anger. Let's see if Sark/these boys got that. That OSU team that won in all in 2014 and looked like one of the best teams I've ever seen sneaked past Navy and got smacked around by a 7-6 VT team the first two weeks of that season for example. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, I think Bruce and Cooper were disappointments by their standards

It’s more complicated than that. Bruce could coach, and produced good coaches, but he wasn’t good at recruiting. But at least he had a winning record against that team up north. He was inches away from winning a national title in his first year as head coach in ‘79 before losing 16-17 to USC in the Rose Bowl to spoil an undefeated season. He won Big Ten Coach of the Year in ‘79. They never gave that award to Tressel, or Meyer. (In 2002, when Tressel went undefeated in just his second year, they awarded it to Kirk Ferentz.)

Earle Bruce (RIP) had a bad year in ‘87  He lost to Indiana. (But beat Oregon!) After consecutive losses to MSU, Wisconsin, and Iowa, the university unceremoniously announced his firing before the Michigan game. Fans and members of the marching band showed up on his lawn to sing and play for him  Then the team went out in Ann Arbor wearing “Earle” headbands, upset the Wolverines, and carried him off the field on their shoulders. Earle has always been beloved in Columbus. And back then no one was really all that concerned about national championships. Beat Michigan, win the Big Ten, go to the Rose Bowl. That was a successful year. Let the national championships fall where they may.

Cooper raised the recruiting profile but never understood The Game and that had to cost him at least one shot at a national championship, maybe two or three. (Michigan spoiled undefeated seasons in both ‘95 and ‘96.) If there was a 4 team playoff in 1998 instead of the inaugural BCS, the Buckeyes would’ve had a decent chance of winning it all because they were loaded. Cooper also didn’t care about academics. Jim Tressel changed that.

John Cooper, despite his 2-10-1 record against Michigan, still has an office at the Woody. He’s still embraced by Buckeye Nation despite the fact that he and everyone else knows how he failed at the most important game on the schedule. I’m looking forward to the Buckeye Roundtable show on the local ESPN Radio affiliate tonight as they dissect the loss to Oregon and he’ll probably be on the panel. He was on the panel last week.

Standards have changed since the creation of the BCS. Cooper’s biggest failing was not beating TTUN. That was the biggest reason that he failed to meet Buckeye standards. I even took a few years off from following the Buckeyes because of the frustration. But then I got sucked back in by players like Eddie George (how did I forget to mention him on the Heisman list above?), Cris Carter, Joey Galloway, Orlando Pace, etc.

Cooper is a unique case study. He’s an outsider who got the job because he beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl while coaching at ASU. Then he couldn’t do it at tOSU because he insisted on treating it as “just another game.” He modernized the program from a recruiting standpoint but felt that academics just got in the way. I lived next door to a couple of his players and I can testify that they didn’t have cars or even much in the way of furniture, but they had a stereo that they played too loud when I was trying to study and I had to go over there to complain. I have no idea if they ever went to class but at least they didn’t beat me up.

But Cooper’s still here, and still treated like family. Every family is dysfunctional to a certain extent. It is what it is. And since Tressel took over the pains of the Cooper years are fading into the distance. And how many coaches today would be given 13 years under the same circumstances? Coop can’t complain that he wasn’t given every chance to succeed.

Btw, 3,579 days since Michigan last beat Ohio State in football.  :D

GO BUCKS!

I'm a Rice Grad and an OU fan since I moved to Oklahoma City in 2003.  My take is your players feel like they made it once they get to Texas.  OU players have a chip on their shoulder playing against a team with a bigger athletic budget, have the longhorn network, have recruiting advantages etc. etc.  OU players scratch and claw to get better.  I feel Texas players think they have already made it so don't work as hard.  

• Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, parshooter said:

I'm a Rice Grad and an OU fan since I moved to Oklahoma City in 2003.  My take is your players feel like they made it once they get to Texas.  OU players have a chip on their shoulder playing against a team with a bigger athletic budget, have the longhorn network, have recruiting advantages etc. etc.  OU players scratch and claw to get better.  I feel Texas players think they have already made it so don't work as hard.  

This seems to be correct.

Yet, Texas players have little objective reason to feel that way, while Oklahoma players have much more reason to feel that way, yet do not.

And, from a recruiting standpoint, it's  more likely that the "average" OU player had more and more prestigious offers than the "average" UT player.

I don't think any coach in his right mind wants his players to feel that way.  And, granted, some coaches will be better at "beating" it out of players.  The persistence of it indicates that there is in fact something about the program.

Edited by TwiceHorn

"As Longhorn players exit the dressing room for a game, they pass by the Steinmark scoreboard and touch his picture in recognition of the courage he showed in his fight for life and facing his cancer."

if players cant give their all after a example Freddie Joe Steinmark they dont deserve to wear the uniform , im an old hog fan but i still tear up a bit when think about this young man

SI's Pat Forde has a take on Texas' culture while trashing the entire program, comparing it to a Conference USA team.
Texas (1). What happened: Favored by a touchdown, the Longhorns resumed hostilities with their old Southwest Conference/future Southeastern Conference rival Arkansas and were thrashed, 40–21. One would hope the Horns were humbled, but that seems to be impossible no matter how much they lose. After taking the lead role in blowing up the college football map by jilting the Big 12, Texas just underscored that the only elite element of its program at present is in spending and making money.
If The Dash were doing an SEC power rating right now, the highest Arkansas could be is seventh. Maybe eighth or ninth. And yet the Razorbacks just punished the Longhorns like a Conference USA also-ran. Texas was outgained by more than 200 yards, and the 333 rushing yards it allowed was its most in five years. The Horns simply aren’t tough enough in the trenches right now to compete in the ultimate line of scrimmage league, and no amount of Steve Sarkisian eye candy in terms of scheme is going to change that quickly. In sum, Texas looks well behind the SEC middle class, years behind the upper echelon and not even playing the same sport as Alabama or Georgia.
Should Texas fans panic? If hearing about your school cashing big revenue checks excites the fans more than winning, no. If they want actual on-field success, by all means start panicking.
https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/13/cfb-which-teams-should-panic-after-week-2-miscues
He said one thing right in the entire article and that's that we are soft in the trenches. No shit, and he gets paid to figure this stuff out? The fact we were favored by a touchdown is much more an indictment on dipshits like himself who keep overinflating what he's clearly seen as a weakness, than it somehow is an indictment of Texas and its fans. The fact that morons like this get paid to write about shit they know nothing about, and that his vote counts the same as mine, is why I like animals and plan to move to the island soon.... Ok, rant over... Carry on...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, parshooter said:

Or they've had better coaches and it's as simple as that.

26 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

He said one thing right in the entire article and that's that we are soft in the trenches. No shit, and he gets paid to figure this stuff out? The fact we were favored by a touchdown is much more an indictment on dipshits like himself who keep overinflating what he's clearly seen as a weakness, than it somehow is an indictment of Texas and its fans. The fact that morons like this get paid to write about shit they know nothing about, and that his vote counts the same as mine, is why I like animals and plan to move to the island soon.... Ok, rant over... Carry on...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

I know it is a different staff and team but its like he doesn't remember we manhandled the #2 SEC team 3 years ago and went toe to toe with "OMG best of all time" SEC team 2 years ago.  We can turn it back to that in 2 years as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Barbacoa said:

There's no reason why we cant return to a culture of hard nosed football. It's in our DNA.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20121108/NEWS/311089622

Some of that is fluff, but you dont have to imagine whether or not he had trouble getting his guys to play their guts out. 

Unfortunately, John Mackovic went all Gattaca on that DNA.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I know it is a different staff and team but its like he doesn't remember we manhandled the #2 SEC team 3 years ago and went toe to toe with "OMG best of all time" SEC team 2 years ago.  We can turn it back to that in 2 years as well.

Shitting on Texas gets the clicks, bro.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, parshooter said:

If you are a Rice grad, you should be smarter than this. As much as I hate to admit it, OU is just as much a blue blood as Texas. Coaching and culture are the differences.

7 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

If you are a Rice grad, you should be smarter than this. As much as I hate to admit it, OU is just as much a blue blood as Texas. Coaching and culture are the differences.

Nothing he said is really inconsistent with what you said.  OU players stay hungry, Texas players don't.  OU players probably have more reason to rest on their laurels than Texas players.

I do find it interesting that the "soft" label has persisted through four coaches now.  There is a culture element to it, for sure.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Nothing he said is really inconsistent with what you said.  OU players stay hungry, Texas players don't.  OU players probably have more reason to rest on their laurels than Texas players.

I do find it interesting that the "soft" label has persisted through four coaches now.  There is a culture element to it, for sure.

He said it is because of our large athletic budget, land thieves budget isn’t small. My point is that is not the reason for the way they play with a chip on their shoulder.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Doesn’t the NFL Texas players are soft come from the 90s?