Culture

Pancho

On 9/12/2021 at 10:17 AM, Brothahorn said:

All good questions that may be unanswerable.

I'm not sure Nick and Urban together could figure it out. Shit is just broken. Maybe it's time for us to just accept it.

Now THAT is part of the culture problem. You don't accept shit....go out and fix it!

Nothing he said is really inconsistent with what you said.  OU players stay hungry, Texas players don't.  OU players probably have more reason to rest on their laurels than Texas players.
I do find it interesting that the "soft" label has persisted through four coaches now.  There is a culture element to it, for sure.

Poona Ford is soft little short man, never will make it in the NFL.

This is fucking stupid. The only culture problem we have is we cannot evaluate and recruit linemen worth a shit. Linemen are supposed to be smart, not so fucking dumb they quadruple team one guy and leave the QB RB exposed.

Corpses would do a better god damn job.

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Poona Ford is soft little short man, never will make it in the NFL.

This is fucking stupid. The only culture problem we have is we cannot evaluate and recruit linemen worth a shit. Linemen are supposed to be smart, not so fucking dumb they quadruple team one guy and leave the QB RB exposed.

Corpses would do a better god damn job.

Oh look exceptions….. 

They are just soft and have been for some time now.  Sure there are a few exceptions every year but for the most part they play soft.  They give up too quickly when they get down.  They lack physicality.  It's like when they get to Texas they feel like they've made it.  You can say all day that culture isn't the problem and that it's the coaching but we are on coach 3 since mack and we keep getting the same results.  

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

If this team gets their shit together and winds up winning the big 12 behind Casey and bijan playing lights out I hope all you spineless fuckers in here do the right thing and find a sturdy hand rail to climb up on and smash your own balls. If we end up sucking and go 7-5 then at least we did it hoping for the best at all times, like our legendary qb told that team in the rose bowl…let your nuts hang out. 

^^^ I don't understand why people aren't rooting for this

On 9/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, Brisketexan said:

Players and fans have the same problem - 100% arrogant and believe our own bullshit, 0% grit and drive.

No passion or desire. Just arrogance, entitlement, and expectation.

The contrast between Texas and Arkansas - fans, stadium atmosphere, player attitudes, couldn’t have been clearer.

Exactly - they went 3-7 and thought they were going to get gorilla boofed and they still showed the fuck out and played a major role. I have been to 1 game at DKR as loud as it was at this stadium and they have 20k less seats. 

I'm not going to get into it too much, but everyone was bitching about NIL and doing jack shit about it, then we did something about it and a lot of people stepped up - there are still people here who are bitching and moaning, but aren't DOING something about it. 

I'm of the opinion that now that there has been a loss, Sark is going to start culling the weak minded/spirited. If you don't come out harder than ever this week in practice you sit. Casey isn't the best player clearly from the evaluations, but he is a gamer and he wants to fucking win.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

There is something to the stupid thing though.  Yes linemen need to have some dog in them.  But, they have the advantage, in theory, of knowing where the play is going and also, in theory, where they are supposed to be going faced with any of several set of circumstances the defensive alignment and initial first move gives them.  Forget the physical part for a moment, the fact that on multiple plays we didn't even seem to know where we were going or who to be going after against a 3 man front (not exactly novel) is a coathanger abortion of offensive line play that shows that beyond physical limitations we might also have a lot of stupid.  

On 9/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, TexArcher said:

Yeah, and they're right.  

Is there any doubt that there's been an increasing spiral from self-sufficiency into gaping vagina but-our-feelings mentality in a straight line from Greatest Generation --> Boomers --> Gen X --> Millennials --> Gen Z?

How could you leave out The Forgotten Generation?

And to add to the OL culture discussion. There is one OL who appears to have a mean streak, but our guru OL coach won’t play him because he lacks the proper wingspan. Instead of Karic, he gives us the Jones softie. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Players and fans have the same problem - 100% arrogant and believe our own bullshit, 0% grit and drive.

No passion or desire. Just arrogance, entitlement, and expectation.

The contrast between Texas and Arkansas - fans, stadium atmosphere, player attitudes, couldn’t have been clearer.
That was one single game, first sellout at home in over 3 seasons. If the piggie players and fans keep up this kind of intensity all season (and finally beat aggy for the first time in a long time) then you might have a good point. As for the last point, yes overall our program and everything around it seems to be living on past glory instead of real hunger to rerurn to that glory. I dont know how that can be fixed.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think the problem with UT Football versus the BAMA's, OU's, and Ohio State's of the world is they get a bunch of dudes that aspire to play school while enjoying playing football.  They need a few more of the dude's that aspire to play football while using  the school as a front...Im saying they need a few more dudes with attitudes like Studdard and Sendlien...They need the men that seem dangerous enough when they tell another player to pull his head out of his ass, the other player listens...The coaches can't fix everything, they have to have those types of leaders on the team that rule the locker room...They need the guys that give 110% all the time, that the other players look up to and want to be like or at least respect and don't want to let down...Maybe some players will step up after this embarassing loss and try to be leaders...Cayce has some fire so that is promising..

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, TexArcher said:

Yeah, and they're right.  

Is there any doubt that there's been an increasing spiral from self-sufficiency into gaping vagina but-our-feelings mentality in a straight line from Greatest Generation --> Boomers --> Gen X --> Millennials --> Gen Z?

Nonsense. Thanks for the laugh.

guys lot GIF Are we too soft? Is our fanbase too entitled? Does burnt orange cause erectile dysfunction and lead to the heartbreak of psoriasis? Stop it, you neurotic navel-gazers!

Remember who you are! YOU, Surly, are Texas culture, and when Wulaw's whole family was crammed into an RV he did not know how to drive and he had a raging boner with nowhere to go did he just sit there helpless huffing his children's jerky farts? No, he invented the Sex Tent and told Mrs. Wulaw, "Get in there and brace yourself because it's Bizness Time! ".  When we stole Slorch's corch from him and suddenly Lubbock seemed to him a dreary, flat, manure-smelling hell-scape where dreams go to die and common antibiotics lose their effectiveness against venereal disease (instead of the paradise it truly is), did he off himself??? No, he bitched and moaned for a few days but now he's in his backyard practicing his tortilla tossing and is happy as shit. I know Slorch is sand aggy but my point is we need to learn from his example. I mean, I can go on:  fucking Burnt Ends, F250 inventing Sugar Baby techniques that he experimented first on himself like Jonas Salk, before altruistically sharing his knowledge with the rest of us... That's TEXAS. CULTURE. And Texas is defined by US, not fucking Kirk Herbsreit and fucking pud look-alike Paul Finebaum's senile musings on what Texas needs in order tuh weeyin in thuh big bad  S-E-C x3. Fuck that shit. We're perfect just as momma made us, and when Texas gets surly we are going to win.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

And the Greatest Generation is a marketing slogan cooked up by Tom Brokaw to sell books.
It's true tho, my great grandparents were made of different stuff being kids during the great depression. I'd maybe put the oldest boomers (kids who had to deal with WW2 rationing and family members going off to likely die) in with them, but its a steep decline starting with younger boomers on through zoomers..

1 minute ago, ousux said:

t's true tho, my great grandparents were made of different stuff being kids during the great depression. I'd maybe put the oldest boomers (kids who had to deal with WW2 rationing and family members going off to likely die) in with them, but its a steep decline starting with younger boomers on through zoomers..

The oldest boomers were born in 1946, after the war was over.

Good lord it's not the fans. Fans don't have shit to do with winning. It's all about the coaches and players being dedicated to improvement every week during the season and off-season. 

This game you had a freshman QB and an offensive line that stepped on that field wide eyed and started fucking up from the jump.  Sark should have realized it sooner and replaced Majors, Okafor, and Card by the end of the first quarter. 

The defense did well early but got worn down physically and were beaten mentally by mid second half. 

If the line and QB changes happen early then a possible turnaround and points could have kept the defense off the field some and kept the team in the game. It was a screw up from many sides and every one needs to learn from it. 

Edited by Hermanator

1 hour ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, David Dennison said:
And the Greatest Generation is a marketing slogan cooked up by Tom Brokaw to sell books.

It's true tho, my great grandparents were made of different stuff being kids during the great depression. I'd maybe put the oldest boomers (kids who had to deal with WW2 rationing and family members going off to likely die) in with them, but its a steep decline starting with younger boomers on through zoomers..

Yeah, and I lived through the end of Vietnam, two oil embargoes, the Cold War, the oil bust, AIDS, the dot com bust, 9/11, the housing collapse, Iraq, Afghanistan, and COVID.

Gen X is fucking hard, bro.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Good lord it's not the fans. Fans don't have shit to do with winning. It's all about the coaches and players being dedicated to improvement every week during the season and off-season. 

This game you had a freshman QB and an offensive line that stepped on that field wide eyed and started fucking up from the jump.  Sark should have realized it sooner and replaced Majors, Okafor, and Card by the end of the first quarter. 

The defense did well early but got worn down physically and were beaten mentally by mid second half. 

If the line and QB changes happen early then a possible turnaround and points could have kept the defense off the field some and kept the team in the game. It was a screw up from many sides and every one needs to learn from it. 

Culture is everything....it's fans, it's donors, it’s the 995 crews, it’s local media,  it's athletic department, it's coaching, it's players, it's literally everything.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Arkansas wanted to play football on Saturday......Texas wanted to put on a fashion show coming off of the plane.  It was clear from the first snap that Texas was mentally & schematically unprepared. 

This isn't everything but there might be some truth to this statement.

Herman had some faults.  He was very stubborn schematically and didn't prioritize staff hires correctly.

He did get culture mostly right.  The team played hard for Herman.  Not smart or well led but hard.

Sark seems more intellectual and cerebral.  I expect we look better schematically over time and and I like his staff much better.

Culturally, he may need his version of Dick Tomey on the staff to reach his ceiling.

Edited by burdine
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2021 at 10:49 AM, bschoolprof said:

It's 99% coaching. Mack came in, took Mac II's players and immediately improved the program and the "culture."  Since he left, we've hired 1 terrible coach and 2 mediocre ones, resulting in terrible to mediocre football.  We're really not much different than OU before Stoops got there or Bama before Saban.

Fans overweight bullshit like culture and strength coaches.  It's head coaching. Period. 

Agree.

And everybody DOES get up for Texas.  So you need a coach who can keep your team focused.  And there's only one coach in the country right now who is great at that.  Nick Saban.  We haven't found anyone yet who is good about it.

But Mack got complacent on his recruiting and had back luck with his QBs in an offense that was too dependent on good QB play.  Charlie Strong was the worst coach in program history.  Tom Hermann gave us what he had at Houston, some great highs and some what the hell games.  Just as John Mackovic gave us what he did before.  Every complaint about him at Illinois was repeated at Texas.  Just as Mack Brown did (great record at UNC but almost always 2nd to FSU).

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

I don’t think that’s correct. Maybe I’m misunderstanding you. But the fans are the foundation of any program and if you lose them then the program is going to hell. As long as the fans demand excellence then the program can survive a down period. If the fans give up then you’re done.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:01 AM, mdmost said:

Yeah but here's the deal on hiring a great coach. Who was that exactly when we had the chance? Who was the better choice than Charlie at the time? James Franklin? I guess. He's not beating Ohio State ever. Jim Mora Jr? He's not even in college anymore. Don't say Saban as that's not reality.

Who was the better choice than Herman at the time? Losing Herman to LSU and watching him possibly win a MNC with them (yeah, yeah just humor me here) would've been the ultimate what if scenario. 

Who was the better choice than Sark when Urban said lol, no? Brian Kelly said no or wasn't even considered. 

When we pushed Mack out, we ran this exact risk, not hitting on the next guy. It's what Tennessee did after Fullmer. It's what Michigan did after pushing out Carr. I'd argue any coach worth his salt won't come to Texas because it's too much of a beating. If it were as great as we claim, it shouldn't be difficult to peel a decent coach away from an existing program. But it's not because we can't. We have to take projects and hope they can make it. 

There was a better coach than Charlie Strong.  Keeping Mack Brown.  Not a great choice, but far better than the choice we made.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's obvious and has been obvious for many years now that we're not stockpiled with talent in the area that matters most today, linemen.  You can throw their star rankings out as they are guestimates at best. Our evaluations have been complete misses and the "locks" haven't been swayed to even think about coming here.  It's one thing to need to convince 1 guy, but everyone sees we need 5 guys. We need the equivalent of the Michigan Fab 5 but with lineman to happen.

Portal must be the initial route to have any chance

On that idea, Texas is just not the best place for linemen, offensive or defensive.  We probably need to mix in more out of state recruiting on linemen.

If we dominate the top QBs, WRs, RBs and secondary in Texas, we never need to go out of state (not that you don't take a swing at a Bijan or Ricky).

There was a better coach than Charlie Strong.  Keeping Mack Brown.  Not a great choice, but far better than the choice we made.
Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but if I'd known we'd only land the Louisville coach instead of one of the other big names at the time...I would have been in favor of keeping FUPM at least another year. Hell, he might have turned things around (doubtful) but even if he didnt it would have been better than the Strong/Watson/Beford shitshow.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:39 PM, Snacks said:

Yep. Have to.  Have to build a program with an offensive line.  We're not flipping a switch on the OL. It will take time.  I accept it.

If I'm looking at who is going to be good in college in those preseason reports, I look at returning offensive linemen.  You need a good line and one that works well together.  Its not a coincidence that those 2005 and 2009 teams had a lot of seniors on the line.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:43 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

The slow vanishing of dynasty inner city football programs in favor of suburban / exurban football factories where a ton of the kids

A) don't need football to make a life for themeselves; they have fallback. They might be kinda dull, but their fallbacks are not apartment complexes in the hood.

B) could be forgiven for kinda dialing it back in college. How much more thrilling can it be in front of larger crowds? Do you really want to put the work in to make it to the NFL, where best case scenario, you play ten years, make a fortune, but trade that for mushy knees and a smooth brain? How much hotter can your college GF be over the tail you were already pulling in HS? 

I think North Shore might be the closest thing left to a Yates or a Carter from back in the day, and guess who is putting the most players in the league? It ain't Southlake Carroll or Stephenville. And when I was in HS, it wasn't just Yates in Houston, it was also Madison, Sterling, Worthing, Washington and later Willowridge. Aldine Eisenhower was the Acres Homes juggernaut and won a USA Today NC.  Now those players get dispersed into the suburban football factories and I think they get spoiled there, same as the White kids. Or, and this is much sadder, the kids left behind in the old neighborhoods are in such hell zones football can't succeed. 

I believe there is a sweet spot where you can have a drive to succeed brought on by the desperation of poverty, but that poverty can't be too terrible, or India would win everything at the Olympics. There needs to be social order, safe places to play and practice, adequate nutrition. You had that in the '80s in Third Ward but now that much of the Black middle class has moved to Pearland and Missouri City, not so much. 

Yeah the Strong era was a failure but one of his minor successes was in bringing out of state kids. Quite a number of times when the D would make a play, it would be a dude from SC blowing up the middle, two dudes from Florida in the backfield causing a fumble, and then another from Louisiana scooping it up or another Floridian picking off a pass. Where would we have been without Poona Ford, to name one?

It's similar to baseball -- suburbanites have taken the sport and made it almost cost-prohibitive for any kid to play whose parents are pulling in $200k ....And so MLB gets ever more international as the number of hungry Americans is choked off at the little league level with rare exception. You've got to be a true prodigy and pick up some street agent types, I imagine. 

Seems like California is going through the same shit....It's a national issue having much to do with gentrification and football is just one of the symptoms. 

Interesting thoughts.  DKR got a lot of those small town kids.   Small town kids and inner city kids do tend to be hungrier.

I suspect if you did studies on success in business, you would find the highest achievers were the richest and the poorest.  The richest had the resources and the time to focus.  The poorest were hungry.  And the upper middle class, while maybe having the highest average, would have the fewest exceptional performers.

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
17 minutes ago, bullet said:

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but if I'd known we'd only land the Louisville coach instead of one of the other big names at the time...I would have been in favor of keeping FUPM at least another year. Hell, he might have turned things around (doubtful) but even if he didnt it would have been better than the Strong/Watson/Beford shitshow.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. 

On 9/12/2021 at 1:01 PM, Snacks said:

What?  Sterling, Worthing, Washing, and Madison weren't shit forever.  Madison was terrible, until VY. 

Willowridge was black suburbia.  Humble became blackish suburbia, then Atascocita.. (which is why they keep building new schools - sneetches gotta sneetch.)

North Shore is in a neighborhood of 3000+ sf homes... I lived there in 2000-2003 when they built the new stadium. What Northshore has is A BUNCH of people all at one school... and they have speed... and a coach that has a system to run...  Just because the people are black, doesn't mean they're poor... not wealthy, sure, but Northshore is suburban. 

Eisenhower is more of a dump now than it was back then (I lived walking distance to Eisenhower 10 years ago - now it's 3 miles away).  All of the players at Eisenhower want to go to the league.  We've had two of their best players wash out at Texas in the last 10 years or so.  Eisenhower has always had talent (speed).

The issue with Texas HS football, imo, is the focus is on QB coaches and 7v7... all skill development and almost no OL development.  hell, even the best DL are (mostly) dudes that were "skill" position players that grew.

This is not difficult.  It's not.  We don't need poverty as a motivator...  that's garbage.

Get smart Centers, strong OGs that can pull, reach, get to the 2nd level, pick up a blitz, etc, and OTs than are strong and can move their feet laterally, have shown it on film... and develop them.

If you want to blame anything societal / cultural... it's that kids don't go outside as much any more.  Digital entertainment means a bunch of dudes sit inside flicking their Dpad.  Find the dudes that go outside and do shit and you'll likely find dudes that can play ball.

Madison had maybe 1 losing season from 1973 through VY (only missed the playoffs 4 times and 3 of those were when only the champ went in the 70s).  Broderick Thomas (Nebraska great and long time NFL player) was there in the mid-80s.  Got knocked out 2 years running by penetrations in the quarterfinals.   During Yates great run in the mid 80s they lost something like 9 games in 6 years and 4 of those were to Madison.  Willowridge is right next to Madison, just across the Ft. Bend County line.  Not much difference except maybe the gangs got a better stronghold on Willowridge.

21 minutes ago, bullet said:

On that idea, Texas is just not the best place for linemen, offensive or defensive.  We probably need to mix in more out of state recruiting on linemen.

If we dominate the top QBs, WRs, RBs and secondary in Texas, we never need to go out of state (not that you don't take a swing at a Bijan or Ricky).

We need stop allowing our good linemen to go to LSU, Bama, and Ohio State. Then we need to grab a couple from out of state as well.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, bschoolprof said:

Again, I'd fall back on good fortune in hiring coaches.  They went from Tressel to Luke Fickel, who led them to 6-7.  They then hired one of the greatest college coaches of all time, and now have Day.  We'll see how that plays out. There are some chinks in the armor (no racist).  If they had Charlie Strong, and David McWilliams, and Tom Herman, they would be shitty to mediocre.  

Seriously.  Take a look at Alabama pre-Saban.  They were worse than we were the last 10 years.

6 minutes ago, bullet said:

Seriously.  Take a look at Alabama pre-Saban.  They were worse than we were the last 10 years.

From Bryant to Saban….

Dubose is obviously their worst coaching hire unless you want to count price who was hired then fired and never coached a game 

Shula didn’t do too bad

5BF0624A-F2CA-4D1C-A6E3-4ACDDED6945F.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White

This isn't everything but there might be some truth to this statement.
Herman had some faults.  He was very stubborn schematically and didn't prioritize staff hires correctly.
He did get culture mostly right.  The team played hard for Herman.  Not smart or well led but hard.
Sark seems more intellectual and cerebral.  I expect we look better schematically over time and and I like his staff much better.
Culturally, he may need his version of Dick Tomey on the staff to reach his ceiling.

Sark wants to scheme his way to a win.

I prefer if we curb stomp our way to a win.

10 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Sark wants to scheme his way to a win.

I prefer if we curb stomp our way to a win.

Herman was basically the curb stomp approach IMO.

We show up and run our stuff, no matter the opponent, and depend on toughness and culture to win.

It wasn't terrible and it wasn't great either.

Ideally, I think you have a balance between good culture and good schemes to get the highest ceilings.

since Arkansas left the SWC, we've played them 6 times.  we're 2-4 against them.

when one team is hungry and the other is not, give me the hungry team, regardless of talent.  shit, it's gonna play out again at the Ryder Cup in a few weeks.

the U.S. is always more talented on paper, but the Europeans want it more.  they live for it.  so they win more often than the U.S.

same shit with Texas and its rivals.  OU is hungrier.  Arkansas sure as fuck is hungrier.  and when that hungrier team is also as talented or more talented, you get 63-14 or 65-13 or 55-17 or 40-21.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

since Arkansas left the SWC, we've played them 6 times.  we're 2-4 against them.

when one team is hungry and the other is not, give me the hungry team, regardless of talent.  shit, it's gonna play out again at the Ryder Cup in a few weeks.

the U.S. is always more talented on paper, but the Europeans want it more.  they live for it.  so they win more often than the U.S.

same shit with Texas and its rivals.  OU is hungrier.  Arkansas sure as fuck is hungrier.  and when that hungrier team is also as talented or more talented, you get 63-14 or 65-13 or 55-17 or 40-21.

OU is hungrier than Texas.

Right. That makes sense.