An Alternative List of 31 Horror Movies for October

Fud

17 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I don't know that I've seen a single movie on your list, although I don't seek out horror or horrorish movies.  What I have learned is that the movies with subtitles are going to be the scariest.  Especially the Asian films - they have some creepy-ass stories. 

Even their non-horror movies are much more fucked up; Oldboy, The Handmaiden, etc

53 minutes ago, Fud said:

For those interested, I compiled an "alternative" list of 31 horror movies, which includes but isn't limited to atmospheric slow burns, sci-fi horror, barely tangentially horror, traditional horror but arguably hidden gems, not scary at all and arguably comedy horror, and anthologies. The common threads are they're not likely to show up in a "best horror movies" list, they're all available for streaming or rental on the major services, and I think they're good. Its purpose is to give you ideas for movies to watch if you've already seen the major franchises, The Shining, The Thing, etc. Again, some of these are only tangentially horror, and some aren't meant to be scary, so do some quick non-spoiler research before you watch so you aren't unpleasantly surprised due to having the wrong expectations.

I cut a couple of more well known titles from the list to get it down to 31, which you should watch first if you haven't seen yet, including The Witch, Hereditary, Let the Right One In, and Train to Busan

Posting mid-September rather than October 1st since it's probably tough to get this many movies in for one month

The List:

The Orphanage (subtitles)

The Wailing (subtitles)

The Blackcoat's Daughter

The Empty Man

The Ritual

V/H/S

Southbound

[REC]

Event Horizon

Suspiria (2018)

Climax (subtitles)

Under the Skin

Terrified (subtitles)

In the Mouth of Madness

Creep

Inside (2007) (subtitles)

One Cut of the Dead (subtitles)

Cube

Kill List

Starry Eyes

High Tension

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

The Neon Demon

The Wolf of Snow Hollow

A Dark Song

Audition (subtitles)

The Love Witch

A Tale of Two Sisters (subtitles)

Blood and Black Lace

Beyond the Gates

Under the Shadow (subtitles)

Thanks for this.  There are a lot on here I haven't seen.  Time to get to work.

51 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I've seen about 1/3 and had about 1/3 on my watchlist, and will be adding the rest, thanks for this!  The ones I've seen, can confirm are very good, and definitely second the recommendation of watching Train to Busan if you have not. 

What are you? Some kind of freakazoid? Same question to the OP

10 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Oh Yeah Of Course GIF by ALLBLK (formerly known as UMC)

In all seriousness, I'm impressed with the breadth you two display in terms of the subgenre. I haven't even seen the rebooted IT and can barely walk through a PG-13 haunted house without having a melt down. I think the last horror movie I saw in a theatre was like Saw 3 and I can't even remember the last horror movie I've seen in the last 15 years.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

I don't know how it started, but my dad and I would rent movies when I was a kid and I loved picking horror movies. I can remember being like 8 after watching The Exorcist and being sure I heard something clattering in the attic and seeing the face of Pazuzu in front of me. 

Anyone else out there who loves horror, Shudder is super worth it, and Tubi is free and has a very good selection of horror (ads, but not grotesquely intrusive).  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

In all seriousness, I'm impressed with the breadth you two display in terms of the subgenre. I haven't even seen the rebooted IT and can barely walk through a PG-13 haunted house without having a melt down. I think the last horror movie I saw in a theatre was like Saw 3 and I can't even remember the last horror movie I've seen in the last 15 years.

You should ease back in with A Serbian Film or Martyrs (2008)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I don't know how it started, but my dad and I would rent movies when I was a kid and I loved picking horror movies. I can remember being like 8 after watching The Exorcist and being sure I heard something clattering in the attic and seeing the face of Pazuzu in front of me. 

Anyone else out there who loves horror, Shudder is super worth it, and Tubi is free and has a very good selection of horror (ads, but not grotesquely intrusive).  

Shudder is great. Last year I got a one month sub in October and knocked out about ten movies that I'd been wanting to watch for awhile but had trouble finding 

7 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I appreciate the list. The only time we watch horror movies is the two-week span before Halloween, and then not again for another 50 weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Watch "The Men Behind the Sun" and then remember it's based on real events and not only did they not embellish, they had to tone down the real story because nobody believed the original screenplay.  

9 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

I've seen about 1/3 and had about 1/3 on my watchlist, and will be adding the rest, thanks for this!  The ones I've seen, can confirm are very good, and definitely second the recommendation of watching Train to Busan if you have not. 

Awesome.  I kept seeing this pop up on one of my streaming services and was this close to watching it.  I'm in now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Be VERY careful with [REC] to make sure you get the Spanish language, English subtitled version and NOT the English dubbed version.  That dubbed version is one of the worst I have ever heard (having just watched the dubbed trailer version of it).  That series is also fun in the way they expand/explore the mythology.

10 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Be VERY careful with [REC] to make sure you get the Spanish language, English subtitled version and NOT the English dubbed version.  That dubbed version is one of the worst I have ever heard (having just watched the dubbed trailer version of it).  That series is also fun in the way they expand/explore the mythology.

I watched the English dubbed version, and it was my only complaint about the movie

Agreed on VHS and VHS 2.  The segment of VHS 3 directed by Nacho Vigalando is great but i agree that it is otherwise the weakest of the series.  Actually saw all three at their premieres at Fantastic Fest which made them even more fun to watch and will be hopeful for a strong 4th entry.

Speaking of Fantastic Fest and this list, The Babadook belongs on the list. I remember the audience being very (and audibly) on edge while watching.

4 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Speaking of Fantastic Fest and this list, The Babadook belongs on the list. I remember the audience being very (and audibly) on edge while watching.

I had a list in the 50s that I decided to cut down to 31, and that was in there

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the list.

Somehow or other, I picked Neon Demon to watch.  And noted Refn.

That is probably the weirdest film that halfway made sense that I have ever seen.

Four breasts, attempted lesbian aardvarking, mortuary necrophiliac aardvarking, eyeball fu, vaginal exsanguination fu, Joe Bob sez check it out if you're bored af and have two hours to blow.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thanks for the list.

That is probably the weirdest film that halfway made sense that I have ever seen.

Four breasts, attempted lesbian aardvarking, mortuary necrophiliac aardvarking, Joe Bob sez check it out if you're bored af and have two hours to blow.

Makes a good triple feature with Mulholland Drive and Starry Eyes 

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thanks for the list.

Four breasts, attempted lesbian aardvarking, mortuary necrophiliac aardvarking, eyeball fu, vaginal exsanguination fu, Joe Bob sez check it out if you're bored af and have two hours to blow.

You had me at 4 breasts...

59 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's on Hulu

Pro-tip: you can look up where movies on streaming/renting on this site

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/train-to-busan

reelgood.com is another good one, and you can make an account and choose what services you have for a customized list of what you have, what's coming, leaving, etc. 

And yeah, I watched the subtitled Train to Busan, not dubbed.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mentioned VFW on another thread. Produced by fangoria magazine and it shows.

Shudder rules. I've been going through the Argento catalogue. His vision is truly unique. The practical effects hold up to a point.

If you want to see Nic Cage at his Nic Cagest then watch Mandy. 

Edited by MissingInAction

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 6:28 PM, Kennythetiger said:

I appreciate the list. The only time we watch horror movies is the two-week span before Halloween, and then not again for another 50 weeks. 

I watch the fascinating horror year round.  But Halloween is the season for the traditional staples: teen slasher sequels, Christopher Lee vs Peter Cushing, and original b&w monsters.

• 11 months later...