2021-22 Big XII Basketball Thread of Fuck Baylor

El Diablo

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This will never not irk me. Blue bloods get away with far, far worse than what the 'Pokes will miss the postseason for this year.

Along with fully cooperating with the investigation. The lesson over and over seems to be, whatever you do, fight the investigation at every turn. 

This is ancient history, but I’ll always remember when Jim Wacker’s TCU team got hammered when Wacker discovered the under the table payment system F.A Dry had set up before him. Wacker was trying his hardest to do things the right way in an era where cheating was ridiculously rampant. TCU didn’t get the death penalty like SMU, but they were never the same until Franchionne/Patterson came along. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The NCAA only maintains power as long as the premier programs allow it.  When Texas, Alabama, Notre Dame, North Carolina, etc. start to push back, it's only a matter of time.  So far, it's been a balancing act.   mockery of accountability.

slight correction.

9 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yup, remains to be seen how good Arizona actually is, too. They haven't really played anyone, their best win is over a 9-7 Michigan team. The only team they've played on their schedule so far that's ranked was Tennessee and that was a loss.

They also beat Illinois on the road. UCLA tonight should be an interesting game. 

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This will never not irk me. Blue bloods get away with far, far worse than what the 'Pokes will miss the postseason for this year.

You don't even have to raise it to the level of bluebloods. Fucking South Carolina got away with the exact same infraction committed by the exact same offender. 

Basketball really needs to figure out officiating. It is so inconsistent that every team can legitimately claim that they are regularly screwed, especially when games are decided by a few points. Every single game they make calls on one end that are different on the other. Worse still is different crews calling games differently game to game. I know the game goes really fast and has become much more physical making it difficult to see the same things for a full game or to be perfectly consistent game to game. I don't know the answer. But it's getting worse every year. 

PS. I'm not talking about the obvious stuff like the phantom three and the non-goal tending I keep posting. Those are just outright egregious and incompetent. I'm talking about the ticky tack stuff that has taken over the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Basketball really needs to figure out officiating. It is so inconsistent that every team can legitimately claim that they are regularly screwed, especially when games are decided by a few points. Every single game they make calls on one end that are different on the other. Worse still is different crews calling games differently game to game. I know the game goes really fast and has become much more physical making it difficult to see the same things for a full game or to be perfectly consistent game to game. I don't know the answer. But it's getting worse every year. 

PS. I'm not talking about the obvious stuff like the phantom three and the non-goal tending I keep posting. Those are just outright egregious and incompetent. I'm talking about the ticky tack stuff that has taken over the game.

Yes, exactly.  Officiating is ruining the watchability of some of these games.  

We've been bitching about officiating for years, and maybe I'm just getting older and crankier, but it just seems to be get worse and worse. I used to scoff at the "it's become unwatchable" crowd, but I'm seriously getting close. I used to also think that players could be coached to avoid close calls, especially towards the end of close games, but goddamn its become inconsistent not only game-to-game, but play-to-play.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The only one of our games that has been like that so far really is the WVU game. 50 fouls in that game. Unwatchable. Mostly, I blame huggins.

Our games have been pretty ugly, and we both play somewhat similarly to WVU so it ain't all on Huggy Bear.  Adams and Otz are bringing that style if we're being honest.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The only one of our games that has been like that so far really is the WVU game. 50 fouls in that game. Unwatchable. Mostly, I blame huggins.

I don't care so much if there are a lot of calls, just be consistent. I've seen numerous games this year where essentially the same play is ruled a charge on one end and a block on the other. Two shots for barely touching a guy and nothing when a guy gets tackled on the other end. WVU is a good example of the problem. They have always played super physical. Sometimes the refs call it tight, sometimes they "let them play." No consistency game to game. How does a coach prepare a team to play WVU when you don't know which refs will show up?

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't care so much if there are a lot of calls, just be consistent. I've seen numerous games this year where essentially the same play is ruled a charge on one end and a block on the other. Two shots for barely touching a guy and nothing when a guy gets tackled on the other end. WVU is a good example of the problem. They have always played super physical. Sometimes the refs call it tight, sometimes they "let them play." No consistency game to game. How does a coach prepare a team to play WVU when you don't know which refs will show up?

I've noticed this with ISU and Tech as well.  In our games (between the two) there have been numerous occasions of guys getting tackled in the paint and nothing is called, and incidental shit at the top of the key drawing a whistle.

24 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think the Providence game was even worse...much, much worse than the WVU game.  At least it seemed that way watching it.

Lol, just as discussed earlier today. The ball is rolling off the rim, called offensive goaltending. Clearly rolling out on replay, upheld. Just absurd. I don’t understand why this shit is so hard to get right in clear slow motion replay.

Announcers thought it was a good call, but I was pretty stunned by it. I would be pissed if I were you.

I guess the rule says that any part of the ball within the ring extended upwards is interference, so right call probably. I thought the ball had to be mostly within the cylinder. What a stupid fucking game. Buncha monkey fucking by both teams at the end of regulation and overtime. We had no business shooting that well, still couldn’t win. Nothing to play for, I honestly don’t know why I watch after the ncaa has determined we should just be fucked around with over and over again.

Edited by 'stache

16 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our games have been pretty ugly, and we both play somewhat similarly to WVU so it ain't all on Huggy Bear.  Adams and Otz are bringing that style if we're being honest.

Y'all had 28 fouls against Tech and lost by 12. .  In the game y'all won vs Tech, you had 19.

Huggies boys had 30.

Y'all had 28 fouls against Tech and lost by 12. .  In the game y'all won vs Tech, you had 19.
Huggies boys had 30.

I think the refs intentionally swallowed the whistles in our first game because you guys had such a short bench. They were really letting both teams play.

44 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I hate this damn Big 12-SEC challenge. It has forced me to root for both TCU and Baylor on the same day. 

I feel dirty. Truly unclean. 

I was thinking about this issue once the Horns enter the secsec.  I'll still root for some of these B12 teams when they are playing secsec...

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

I was thinking about this issue once the Horns enter the secsec.  I'll still root for some of these B12 teams when they are playing secsec...

The SEC better hope we don't get our act together in football. That collective fan base has no idea how arrogant we are or what form it's going to manifest into. I absolutely loathe the SEC. I feel like it's our birthright as Texas fans to do so. I've hated those mouth breathers for decades. I do feel like it's the right move, but holy hell I wish there had been a way to get into the Big 10, even if it wouldn't have made sense for all kinds of reasons. The Big 12 was a dead end, but the SEC is a cesspool. Glad we're going to be there, but there's a holier than thou attitude about it, too, and I don't think I'm alone with that.

Holy shit I hate the fucking SEC. That isn't going to change just because Texas is now a member. 

"You just think you're better than everyone else."

As a matter of fact, we do.

And for the record, I've loved being a part of the Big 12 in basketball. I haven't enjoyed the results over the last decade plus, but I've loved being a part of the conference. It's football and overall athletic departments that had me begging to get out.

• Hook 'Em 2