NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Yep that Porter Jr max looking terrible. His back is shot.

It's not like they couldn't have seen that, either.  He was hurt in college and big guys with back problems have a bad history.  For every Embid there are 10 awful histories.  

18 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It's not like they couldn't have seen that, either.  He was hurt in college and big guys with back problems have a bad history.  For every Embid there are 10 awful histories.  

This has the potential to be the worst contract in the history of professional sports.

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

This has the potential to be the worst contract in the history of professional sports.

Throw in that Jokic's current contract is up after next year.  He'll get the max (duh) and they'll be paying him $50M or something while paying Porter $35M-$40M towards the back end of the deal.  That's $90M for two guys, one of whom might not play.

16 hours ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

Anthony Davis

TBD.  But the problem is even if the Lakers tried to trade him, his stock is at a 52-week low.  Need to have him at least play a healthy first half, then see if someone would break the bank to trade for him.  When healthy (which ain't often), he's still a dominant big.

Day old, but this is why Lebron and his team as de facto GM's suck.  Westbrook over DeRozan is a fireable offense..... instead, the coach is going to get the axe.  For what?  AD being injury prone?  Westbrook being a net-negative?  Filling out the rest of the team with old guys who can't defend?  smh.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

a casualty of LeBron James's latest conquest.

Lebron giveth and taketh away. They got their ring in the bubble season. It's been a disaster ever since. AD's constant injuries both seasons and then Lebron this offseason going full regard and putting a team together of all his old buddies that never meshed at all and had zero chance of working. They got rid of all their assets for these guys. Even with AD healthy, not sure how good they would have been. This is why teams have dedicated GMs to make roster moves and decisions. Based on many factors. Players are always going to have a conflict of interest. Not to say players of his stature do not have input in moves being made but Lebron pretty much has full control of all personnel decisions, from players to coaches. 

The Lebron era in LA is tricky to judge. They did win a ring. Yes, in the bubble but every team was playing by the same parameters. But the next 2 seasons were failures. Season before the ring was a failure. As a Mavs fan, I'd love to even get out of the 1st round (haven't did that in 11 years) so I would love to have a recent ring. But I am sure they were expecting more from the Lebron era, especially after being paired with AD. 

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

His name popped into my head along with CJ McCollums but Portland found someone to take on his horrible deal.

I mean they need to blow it up starting now, just need to find a sucker to take on dame and refresh.

Huh? CJ has been balling out for NO. He just needed out of that clown show. 

Someone explain something for me, though... CJ at one point led the league in FT%. The last 3 years he's gone .757, .812 (empty arenas), .704. WTF?

Edited by ztejas

Huh? CJ has been balling out for NO. He just needed out of that clown show. 
Someone explain something for me, though... CJ at one point led the league in FT%. The last 3 years he's gone .757, .812 (empty arenas), .704. WTF?

30, 33 and 35 million a year good? Probably a change of scenery is needed for him…but I wouldn’t want my team giving him roughly 25% of the pay roll

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

30, 33 and 35 million a year good?

Yes. He's posting 26/5/6 on 2.3 turnovers on 50/40 splits with the Pelicans. Fairly small sample size (22 games) but those are top 20 offensive numbers in the league. 

If he has a couple seasons with them resembling that production he is easily worth ~30 a year. He may not - but as of now it looks like a good move by them. He's nowhere near worst contract in the league. 

Yes. He's posting 26/5/6 on 2.3 turnovers on 50/40 splits with the Pelicans. Fairly small sample size (22 games) but those are top 20 offensive numbers in the league. 
If he has a couple seasons with them resembling that production he is easily worth ~30 a year. He may not - but as of now it looks like a good move by them. He's nowhere near worst contract in the league. 

Was he near the worst contract in the league before he was traded?

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Was he near the worst contract in the league before he was traded?

Look - I've never been a huge CJ fan (as a player at least). And before the trade - no - I wouldn't have wanted him for 3/100. 

But, a couple of things:

- The fact that he's turned it around this quickly tells us that it's probably dependent on the team. Portland needs to totally rebuild and 30 + whatever Dame is committed to a duo that has glaring issues defensively and a proven hard playoff ceiling is not good. 

- 3 year contracts are so much better than 4 year contracts for a couple reasons - not only do you get out of them quicker, it is also MUCH easier to dump a contract with 1 year remaining vs. 2. 

His contract looked bad early this season because was playing pretty meh and Portland was a disaster. I wouldn't have flinched if you made the comment you did in December. 

I mean - you're paying DLo 60M for this season and next. Is he worth that? No - but you still have Ant on a rookie deal so in context it isn't terrible. 

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Day old, but this is why Lebron and his team as de facto GM's suck.  Westbrook over DeRozan is a fireable offense..... instead, the coach is going to get the axe.  For what?  AD being injury prone?  Westbrook being a net-negative?  Filling out the rest of the team with old guys who can't defend?  smh.

Well, I'm not sure if Derozen wanted to come there but Magic's scenario is not realistic.   They would not have been able to sign Demar, keep their depth and trade for Buddy.

Look - I've never been a huge CJ fan (as a player at least). And before the trade - no - I wouldn't have wanted him for 3/100. 
But, a couple of things:
- The fact that he's turned it around this quickly tells us that it's probably dependent on the team. Portland needs to totally rebuild and 30 + whatever Dame is committed to a duo that has glaring issues defensively and a proven hard playoff ceiling is not good. 
- 3 year contracts are so much better than 4 year contracts for a couple reasons - not only do you get out of them quicker, it is also MUCH easier to dump a contract with 1 year remaining vs. 2. 
His contract looked bad early this season because was playing pretty meh and Portland was a disaster. I wouldn't have flinched if you made the comment you did in December. 
I mean - you're paying DLo 60M for this season and next. Is he worth that? No - but you still have Ant on a rookie deal so in context it isn't terrible. 

Our team sucks without dlo believe it or it…but Jordan McLaughlin was also playing like complete ass half of the year but he isn’t a starting PG. I’d be hesitant to give dlo what he’s making now. But sometimes your hands are tied. Plus we gave up a first to get him and out of Wiggins’ deal so we’re kinda strapped to him from a PR perspective.
Idk what id do. He’s 4 years younger than CJM so he’s kinda the right nba timeline with kat and ant

Well, I'm not sure if Derozen wanted to come there but Magic's scenario is not realistic.   They would not have been able to sign Demar, keep their depth and trade for Buddy.

Well I read a tweet from magic from 2021 saying trading for Russ makes the lakers contenders. So he’s talking out of both sides here
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Our team sucks without dlo believe it or it…but Jordan McLaughlin was also playing like complete ass half of the year but he isn’t a starting PG. I’d be hesitant to give dlo what he’s making now. But sometimes your hands are tied. Plus we gave up a first to get him and out of Wiggins’ deal so we’re kinda strapped to him from a PR perspective.
Idk what id do. He’s 4 years younger than CJM so he’s kinda the right nba timeline with kat and ant

The point is that evaluating contracts can be dependent on team. Every team in the league is overpaying and underpaying guys. Ultimately season over season all that matters is what 15 guys can you get for the cap (obviously some teams pay luxury, too). DLo for $30M on the Spurs would be an atrocious contract because not only is he slightly overpaid he'd be superfluous on our team. DLo plus Ant for $40M on the TWolves is just fine. Most every team in the league would take that combo. 

DLo is a fairly average distributor for his position but you need that playmaking. Same way the Spurs didn't really need DWhite to handle the ball and toss 5 dimes a game for $15-$18M. We'd rather have a better 3 point shooter/more efficient of ball guy like JRich. But the Celtics don't need more off ball wings that don't playmake. 

All this to say: CJ on the Blazers - not a good contract. CJ on the Pels - might be a nice contract. 

Edited by ztejas

50 minutes ago, d2o said:

DeMar was as public as one could be in his position of wanting to go back to LA, even commenting he would take a pay cut.  Ultimately, he went to Chicago for about the same amount.  He absolutely wanted to go to LA.  Spurs took draft picks for him in a S&T so it's very probable a deal would have been easier to consummate at let's say 25m than they 44m it took to trade for Westbrook.  

47 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Also, acting like DeRozan was some sought after high value prize for title-contending teams is pretty damn disingenuous. He looked to be on a pretty rapid decline.

Still doesn't excuse blowing up their cap to pay Russ though.

That's not true at all.  All of his advanced metrics and per minute stats were on par with his best season in Toronto.  He simply was trapped on a terrible team.  Now Westbrook?  His numbers and qualitatives all point to a massive decline.  DeMar was a far better player the last two seasons headed into FA last summer.

34 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well I read a tweet from magic from 2021 saying trading for Russ makes the lakers contenders. So he’s talking out of both sides here

I'll agree here..... Magic tends to always make Magic look best in terms of GM'ing.  A lot of NBA personnel folks should and are getting fired because they haven't realized that Westbrook is a net negative on a team and has been for about 3 years.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

DeMar was as public as one could be in his position of wanting to back to LA, even commenting he would take a pay cut.  Ultimately, he went to Chicago for about the same amount.  He absolutely wanted to go to LA.  Spurs took draft picks for him in a S&T so it's very probable a deal would have been easier to consummate at let's say 25m than they 44m it took to trade for Westbrook.  

Yeah I know Demar was reportedly open about going to LA.  That wasnt the part I was disputing.   Magic said they could have signed Demar (they couldn't, they were over the cap) and kept their depth, while also trading for Heild.   The money just doesnt work.  

Additionally, the Lakers were balking at giving Demar a 3rd yr which he ultimately got from CHI.  So yeah he was willing to take an an annual discount he wanted to make sure he got that 3rd yr and that is what broke down the deal as much as LBJ/AD going to talk to Russ from the reports I've seen.

Not even saying that LBJ isnt at least at partial fault.   Just that this is Magic and while he may want the Lakers to win I am sure he isnt going to hesitate to give hindsight and make it seem like he could have done it better than Pelinka

There's also this:

https://lakersdaily.com/report-demar-derozan-felt-like-lakers-were-in-disarray-and-didnt-know-what-they-were-doing/

“I talked to someone from DeRozan’s camp,” Ohm Youngmisuk said. “When DeRozan was in town in L.A., and he basically stuck it to the Lakers. The impression that I got from his camp was that DeRozan felt that the Lakers were in sort of disarray. They didn’t really have a vision. They didn’t know what they were doing.”

(related/unrelated) Russillo was going in on the last Sunday pod about how someone's going to publish a story saying "yeah you know LeBron really wasn't that in on the whole Westbrook thing" and how much of a crock of shit that's going to be. 

19 minutes ago, d2o said:

There's also this:

https://lakersdaily.com/report-demar-derozan-felt-like-lakers-were-in-disarray-and-didnt-know-what-they-were-doing/

“I talked to someone from DeRozan’s camp,” Ohm Youngmisuk said. “When DeRozan was in town in L.A., and he basically stuck it to the Lakers. The impression that I got from his camp was that DeRozan felt that the Lakers were in sort of disarray. They didn’t really have a vision. They didn’t know what they were doing.”

I Guess If You Say So GIF

39 minutes ago, d2o said:

There's also this:

I agree.  And I’d probably say something similar if they put me on the back burner and eventually went with Westbrook after the fact.  Difference in message is stark before the decision and after.  Trading for Westbrook screams disarray or at least idiocy.  But he definitely wanted to go there before it all went down.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Yeah I know Demar was reportedly open about going to LA.  That wasnt the part I was disputing.   Magic said they could have signed Demar (they couldn't, they were over the cap) and kept their depth, while also trading for Heild.   The money just doesnt work.  

Additionally, the Lakers were balking at giving Demar a 3rd yr which he ultimately got from CHI.  So yeah he was willing to take an an annual discount he wanted to make sure he got that 3rd yr and that is what broke down the deal as much as LBJ/AD going to talk to Russ from the reports I've seen.

Not even saying that LBJ isnt at least at partial fault.   Just that this is Magic and while he may want the Lakers to win I am sure he isnt going to hesitate to give hindsight and make it seem like he could have done it better than Pelinka

So Magic is basic premise was doable.  Both players were ultimately traded.  Fitting 44m under the cap and 25m is much different and he’s saying they had to send out different guys including Caruso and Kuzma/Hield to fit Westbrook’s almost 20m more to save some luxury tax.  

If he’s playing a little hindsight is 20/20 then okay but the overall the thought process is rooted in some reality.  If ultimately, the 3rd year for Demar was the straw that broke the camels back or if it was just cover for going another way…. Well done Lakers?

I always thought they’d get Demar if he wanted to go home but I guess Lebron and Maverick thought differently.  I don’t fault the Lakers for pushing chips in for a final run the last two years but they backed the wrong horse and 2 years is looking like 1 now.  Nothing wrong with looking critically at it.  Maybe Kareem can come out of retirement.

I read an article on The Athletic today about Joel. It was one of those interview people around them to learn about them pieces. All it talked about was how competitive he is, how he used to beat the crap out of the assistant coaches kids in Madden and 2K, etc. 

I wish there were more mics because to me that doesn't come across at all when watching him. He doesn't even look like he's trying most of the time. Yet you look up and he has 27 and 7 at halftime. That is a very large, very skilled man. 

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lebron giveth and taketh away. They got their ring in the bubble season. It's been a disaster ever since. AD's constant injuries both seasons and then Lebron this offseason going full regard and putting a team together of all his old buddies that never meshed at all and had zero chance of working. They got rid of all their assets for these guys. Even with AD healthy, not sure how good they would have been. This is why teams have dedicated GMs to make roster moves and decisions. Based on many factors. Players are always going to have a conflict of interest. Not to say players of his stature do not have input in moves being made but Lebron pretty much has full control of all personnel decisions, from players to coaches. 

The Lebron era in LA is tricky to judge. They did win a ring. Yes, in the bubble but every team was playing by the same parameters. But the next 2 seasons were failures. Season before the ring was a failure. As a Mavs fan, I'd love to even get out of the 1st round (haven't did that in 11 years) so I would love to have a recent ring. But I am sure they were expecting more from the Lebron era, especially after being paired with AD. 

There was no parade. The King wants his parade