NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

You can’t leave the way he did and expect hero worship afterwards. The player empowerment era comes with some consequences. 

His leaving was only so ugly because Russ took it that way. It’s clear KD was caught by surprise by Westbrook’s reaction. Westbrook decided to take it personally and make a beef about it. (One take could be that Westbrook really parlayed this into making the team wholly and fully his, and maximized his stature and salary in the game). 
Milwaukee doesn’t hate Kareem. Philly doesn’t hate Barkley. OKC hates Durant because they were guided into it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, statsman said:

His leaving was only so ugly because Russ took it that way. It’s clear KD was caught by surprise by Westbrook’s reaction. Westbrook decided to take it personally and make a beef about it. (One take could be that Westbrook really parlayed this into making the team wholly and fully his, and maximized his stature and salary in the game). 
Milwaukee doesn’t hate Kareem. Philly doesn’t hate Barkley. OKC hates Durant because they were guided into it. 

I mean he went to the team that beat them in the playoffs. That's where a lot of the vitriol arises from. But Cavs fans burned LeBron's jersey after the decision so they would have been salty either way just maybe not to the same degree. 

He was leaving regardless. I think he was tired of playing with Westbrook without any shooters on the floor for a team that chose Kendrick Perkins over Harden. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

It's really not that rare. Also, there's this great thing called Google that will tell you the answers to these questions and more. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nba/news/which-nba-players-have-had-their-jersey-retired-by-multiple-franchises-full-list-wilt-chamberlain-pete-maravich-more/11mv42oaci1f1rx7bn0b5jsn3

The heat should have to shutter their franchise for retiring Michael Jordan's number. Holy shit that's embarrassing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The heat should have to shutter their franchise for retiring Michael Jordan's number. Holy shit that's embarrassing. 

I mean they retired Shaq's jersey. Their standards aren't exactly through the roof. 

You know - the OKC decision over whether to retire his jersey isn’t just the Thunder’s. It’s KD’s also. His statement indicates his willingness and desire for a rapprochement with the franchise. If OKC wants to grandstand and fuck around about this, his tune will change and it won’t be their decision anymore. He can very easily get salty, too.
His statement means he is willing to be an adult on this. If they can’t, as well, then that jersey is never going into the rafter, as ridiculous as it will look decades in the future when the 2012 NBA finals is still their franchise high water mark. 

I love the random halftime shows that show up on league pass. It's so funny to me how there are seemingly 8-10 acts that just rotate throughout the league. It was great, when we were at the Pistons/Knicks game I took a couple of the kids on a tour to the upper reaches of the arena during halftime. We got back and my wife was yammering on about the halftime show with the dog we missed. I'm like oh yeah! The gymnast guy with the dog and I described it to her. Man what a loser I am. I did not get laid.

• Hook 'Em 2

Minny has a bit more motherfucker in them than I've been giving them credit for. Still worried they might get a little deer in the headlights in a big playoff series but I'd be willing to believe they could upset someone in the first round. 

Watching some bootleg stream of Wolves/Nuggets and they just had like a skills challenge deal at a timeout between two guys.
Prize for the winner? 
A Michael Porter Jr. jersey.
I'd be like... uhhh... thanks?

Lmao watched that too. I’d rather have the gift bag the other guy got for 2nd place

Fun game

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Pat Bev won’t let that happen

Hah. PB isn't the one you need to worry about scoring. He's been great for your culture though. He looks so much better with the long hair and hairband - no idea why he insisted on looking like a crackhead for so long. 

And God damn Ant has hit a couple huge 3s. 

• Like 1

Like that was a weird possession to me and something I wonder about (maybe a minute or so ago). Ant wants the ball and rather than try and get it to him KAT just settles for an early shot clock 28 footer. They're still learning how to win/put away games like this. I don't think they're selfish but it's kind of like - alright who's the dude on your team? 

Like that was a weird possession to me and something I wonder about (maybe a minute or so ago). Ant wants the ball and rather than try and get it to him KAT just settles for an early shot clock 28 footer. They're still learning how to win/put away games like this. I don't think they're selfish but it's kind of like - alright who's the dude on your team? 

Kat is…but he’s playing tentatively with 4 personals

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Kat is…but he’s playing tentatively with 4 personals

Well Ant was your best player to close tonight (and I know I'm talking about offense but that strip on the last possession of the game was amazing). Just feel like it's a little awkward between him DLo and KAT. I'd want to develop Ant as the guy because his ceiling is higher than KAT's imo (at least as a 2 way guy) and he's already better than DLo. Or at least have it be a 1/2 type deal without an inefficient 3rd guy complicating it. 

Obviously it's worked pretty well this season and these are closer to "Mark Jackson coaching the W's" type issues than shit that's keeping you from winning regular season games. 

34 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You think ants ceiling is higher than kats? He’s 20 so I guess the sky’s still the limit. Ant can go on tears by himself that kat can’t but he can also shoot putrid while kats always gonna be >50%. Dlo has history on his side for being the closer. Who knows.

Yep. RAPTOR is turning into one of my favorite advanced stats (although like any of them you have to be reasonable with it and integrate common sense) and this is how it rates them this season. 

Screenshot_20220401-230113-150.png.ffdfef846a5956e380dd32e875975667.png

This was last season. 

Screenshot_20220401-230312-644.png.2a53ba43c298ecb794d7175049c2a307.png

Like you said - Ant is 20. He's posting ~21/5/4 and 2.2 stocks already on 44/36/78 with almost half his attempts from 3. 

KAT is a nice player but he is what he is at this point. He's never going to be a 1st team/MVP contender type guy. That door is still very much open for Ant. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see something like 25/6/5 on 45+/35+/80 next season. He just has that it factor and a great approach to the game that so many teams wish they could instill in their top prospects. Dude's a fucking dog. That 3 late in the game where he had Jokic on him and you could sort of tell - yeah this isn't going to be a high quality shot - but he jacks it up anyway and hits nothing but net on who's about to be a back to back MVP is the exact type of play you want to see. He just has to work his ass off on top of it and shore up his weaknesses.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

I only saw some of the first half but the Suns were sleep walking. No attention to detail at all. Entry passes into the post were lofted too high, hands of stone when receiving passes, not protecting the ball when putting it on the floor. They just went checked in mentally from what I saw. 

Also does Lebron look skinny to anyone or am I hallucinating? 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

AD and Bron look pretty spry. I like rooting against the Lakers but there's no way this isn't a more interesting tournament with them involved. 

They're up 1 point in the 3rd against NO.

@Baboontyme @OB3 Yeah - Suns have dick to play for. Like fucking nothing at all except chasing ghosts. 

Edited by ztejas

7 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

This is not necessarily a basketball comment but there's no way you can convince me that Brandon Ingram isn't high right now without a blood test. Those eyes. 

The NBA is basically a conspiracy of potheads. He could totally be high. 

Also - not going to dig you too hard - but talking up this Lakers team mid game was a bold strategy. This team wants absolutely nothing to do with Phoenix or Memphis. 

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

@Mitch Cumsteen

(btw - not commenting on officiating - just reinforcing what I was saying about KD playing good D on Giannis)

Sure, maybe in spot duty, but he can't guard him all game. He'd get worn out and compromise his offense and/or get into foul trouble. Giannis is a nightmare match up for just about everybody (as is KD, for different reasons) but the Nets don't really have anyone resembling the size/speed/strength needed to check him. Not to mention that their team defense is pretty terrible as well. Maybe they'll get it together on d more in the playoffs when the pace slows down but otherwise they're just going to have to outscore folks, which they are certainly capable of doing. 

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

I suspect this is exactly why he isn't playing for the Nets. If he got traded and immediately started playing for them, he would have no leg to stand on in this case.  By continuing to hold out and do mental rehab or whatever the fuck he's doing, it makes his mental health claim appear more legit.  20 million is a lot of money to risk over playing some games and trying to win a title. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Great point. I forgot he is even on the team. Is he going to play? 

Depends who you listen to (my post was also somewhat tongue-in-cheek as I would still be surprised if Simmons suits up at all in the playoffs; and there's a possibility that Nets-Bucks will be a first round matchup...which would start in 2 weeks).  But anyways...

https://www.netsdaily.com/2022/4/1/23006763/dueling-athletic-reporters-have-different-takes-on-ben-simmons

Joe Vardon apparently wrote this yesterday morning - 

Ben Simmons is not close to playing for the Nets. He is not likely to be ready for the start of the playoffs, I was told Thursday, as he’s still trying to recover from a recurring back injury that required an injection last month.

This is about two different things: It’s about trading for a former All-Star, a Defensive Player of the Year candidate who is 6-foot-10, can run the floor, move the ball and doesn’t need to shoot, and maybe not having him at all.

Since his (epidural) injection, Simmons has been at practice more, even near the court (or on it) while teammates are out there, which has caused some teammates to voice their optimism. But he isn’t close to returning, let’s be clear.

But then Shams reported this yesterday afternoon - 

“Nets three-time All-Star Ben Simmons has resumed light on-court workouts, sources tell me” said Shams. “And the hope remains that he will be able to ramp-up in time for the playoffs. The Nets and Simmons have worked together on his back issues which flared up when he had previously aiming for a mid-March return. And now with the Nets jockeying for position in the Eastern Conference, a Simmons return makes the team’s ceiling even greater for a potentially deeper run.”