NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

Knicks are lucky the Lakers were such a fiasco because they've been quite embarrassing themselves. 

This made me chuckle.

Unfortunately for the Knicks the refs can’t actually shoot the free throws for them.

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, Llogg said:

There is a very solid argument that Tom thibodeau has underperformed everywhere he has been a head coach.

I've watched the Thunder this year more than I should and that dude can coach.  Great motivator and X and O guy.  I think they have a better record than the Lakers since the All Star break.  (Could be wrong about that.)  Can he handle stars?  Who knows.  Dude can do everything else, though.  His front office is doing everything they possibly can to lose games and he's won a lot more than he should.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I've watched the Thunder this year more than I should and that dude can coach.  Great motivator and X and O guy.  I think they have a better record than the Lakers since the All Star break.  (Could be wrong about that.)  Can he handle stars?  Who knows.  Dude can do everything else, though.  His front office is doing everything they possibly can to lose games and he's won a lot more than he should.

Thunder?

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Uhhhh

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

There is a very solid argument that Tom thibodeau has underperformed everywhere he has been a head coach.

He can energize a team, give them a jolt like someone getting paddles for a short period.... but over time, he grinds them down into dust.  Good assistant, poor HC and Exec.  Very overrated IMO.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
Terrible probably too strong an adjective

Went to the game tonight. KD seemed pretty uninterested for 3 quarters, and then just totally went into another gear. Guy is unreal. Stating the obvious, but as good as KD and Kyrie are, I wouldn’t bet on Brooklyn against MIL or the Celtics. Their supporting cast is rough.

Ben Simmons is a weird dude. Jumped out of the pre-game handshake; didn’t take his shades off the entire game.

73F03887-AB70-48D1-AA34-AE64A2467ED8.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Anyone wanna make predictions if we see any of these guys for the playoffs?  They could swing some matchups and add a lot more uncertainty to what feels like a wide open playoffs.

Kawhi Leonard - LAC

Ben Simmons - Nets

Jamal Murray - Denver

Zion Williamson - NOLA

no across the board.

• Like 1

Went to the game tonight. KD seemed pretty uninterested for 3 quarters, and then just totally went into another gear. Guy is unreal. Stating the obvious, but as good as KD and Kyrie are, I wouldn’t bet on Brooklyn against MIL or the Celtics. Their supporting cast is rough.
Ben Simmons is a weird dude. Jumped out of the pre-game handshake; didn’t take his shades off the entire game.

73F03887-AB70-48D1-AA34-AE64A2467ED8.thumb.jpeg.f967c086f04dcd292c241da1ade1869c.jpeg

Pay the man 20 million!

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

no across the board.

Hey, if we know anything about Kawhi it's that he will put his team and winning first over his own personal health, interests and goals, and that he doesn't have to be 100% healthy in order to give it a go when the stakes are at their highest. 

Yes, still bitter. Fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I read up on the KAJ stuff. Basically one soundbyte was taken and run with, as we often do during the Twitter era. What he said about LeBron was entirely fair and he apologized twice and clarified the context of his entire statement and he's right. I mean I guess. I'm not a part of the black community though sometimes I wish I were because white people are by and large terrible.

Charlotte is fading hard. Go ahead and pencil them in at 10. I think Borrego's seat is getting hot. Saw a weird tweet from Trez and then looked back at the box score and realized he played zero minutes last night against the Heat even though I watched the game. I mean Mason Plumlee is their starting 5, you would think he might be a decent matchup against Bam. It's not like they were playing against Joel or Joker. I like Charlotte a lot (fun to watch, Eric Collins, etc) but they are going to lose the play in by 60 again if they play the Nets. 

The Cap quotes were pretty fair.   They just didnt need to be said publicly.   He has enough access to go and talk to LBJ if he felt it was that much of an issue.   I know a lot of people dislike him for various reasons but for all the good he has done many of the things pointed out by Cap seem nit-picky.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Llogg said:

He and SVG are the same.    They get immediate improvement from their team in the first yr or two.   Then everyone gets sick of their shit and the teams fall apart.  They are coaches to get you back to the hump then you move on to someone else to get you over the hump.

11 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Go home dude, you're drunk.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Dear Lord wtf happened to Ros Gold? Is she pregnant? She is HUGE. 

Making money and eating well.   She was probably pretty active too before she got busy with working.   She was hot as hell before she exploded.

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Anyone wanna make predictions if we see any of these guys for the playoffs?  They could swing some matchups and add a lot more uncertainty to what feels like a wide open playoffs.

Kawhi Leonard - LAC

Ben Simmons - Nets

Jamal Murray - Denver

Zion Williamson - NOLA

I don't think the Nuggets are getting either Murray or MPJ back for the playoffs at this point.  What a waste of an incredible year for Jokic.  

21 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Kyrie got all the pub, but didn't see this.

This is a bigger matzah ball than the BKN matchup. Was thinking about it last night because of Kyrie - it could be a potential 2nd round matchup. Thybulle is also unvaxxed. Not sure if any Heat or Bucks players are.

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I'm not so sure that teams are going to go to such extremes to avoid playing the Nets. Clearly they are talented and can put up ridiculous points but they still needed a big 2nd half just to put away the Knicks. Their defense is really bad for a title contender.

I mean- there’s no sense obviously in playing the nets if you don’t have to, but A) nothing guarantees they will be the 7th seed and not the 8th, and B) without Simmons and a gimpy Curry I think they are pretty far down the list of playoff contenders. 
If it’s me I tank to end up playing Miami in round 2 rather than the winner of Boston v Milwaukee.

if Milwaukee goes through Brooklyn, Philly, Boston and then Phoenix that will be the most impressive title run to me since the Rockets second of the back to back which was probably the most impressive ever (which can usually only happen if you are a low seed). They beat the 3, ,2, ,1, 1 seed in order. You literally can’t mathematically top that 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- there’s no sense obviously in playing the nets if you don’t have to, but A) nothing guarantees they will be the 7th seed and not the 8th, and B) without Simmons and a gimpy Curry I think they are pretty far down the list of playoff contenders. 

Trying to avoid the Nets is dumb for multiple reasons - but they are clearly the worst 1st round matchup for any of the top 4. I'd still be confident if I'm BOS or MIL that we can beat that team but after seeing Durant take the tarp off the Ferrari last night I don't think that's who I'd want to play to kick things off.

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

if Milwaukee goes through Brooklyn, Philly, Boston and then Phoenix that will be the most impressive title run to me since the Rockets second of the back to back which was probably the most impressive ever (which can usually only happen if you are a low seed). They beat the 3, ,2, ,1, 1 seed in order. You literally can’t mathematically top that 

It would be solid. Idk if it's '11 Mavs or '14 Spurs level - we'll have to see how everyone looks in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Trying to avoid the Nets is dumb for multiple reasons - but they are clearly the worst 1st round matchup for any of the top 4. I'd still be confident if I'm BOS or MIL that we can beat that team but after seeing Durant take the tarp off the Ferrari last night I don't think that's who I'd want to play to kick things off.

It would be solid. Idk if it's '11 Mavs or '14 Spurs level - we'll have to see how everyone looks in the playoffs.

11 Mavs was a tough run.  Portland in the 1st round, defending champs Lakers in the 2nd, young Durant/Westbrook/Harden in the conference finals, and the Heatles in the finals.

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think the rockets beat a 56 win team and then 3 60 win teams all on the road. That will probably never be topped b/c you kind of have to be shitty during the regular season to put yourself in that situation, or you have to have something bizarre like this Nets team happen to make that first round matchup much scarier than for a normal top seed. Which this Nets team clearly is.  Yeah- I’m order of who you’d want (just top 8 right now) it would go Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto then Brooklyn as your last choice. I’d make Brooklyn the favorite over Philly and Miami and call them a slight dog against Boston and a medium sized dog (call it +180 or something for the series) against the Bucks. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If it’s me I tank to end up playing Miami in round 2 rather than the winner of Boston v Milwaukee.

Wait you're still talking about things that make the Nets worse, right?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Wait you're still talking about things that make the Nets worse, right?

If I was them I’d certainly like to have him, at a minimum, be a guy I could throw at Giannis and figure on him playing as credible of defense as anyone in the league can play on him. I think he’s a gutless coward and is too cool for school, but he can certainly play a role for Brooklyn that could be useful even this year. 

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think the rockets beat a 56 win team and then 3 60 win teams all on the road. That will probably never be topped b/c you kind of have to be shitty during the regular season to put yourself in that situation, or you have to have something bizarre like this Nets team happen to make that first round matchup much scarier than for a normal top seed. Which this Nets team clearly is.  Yeah- I’m order of who you’d want (just top 8 right now) it would go Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto then Brooklyn as your last choice. I’d make Brooklyn the favorite over Philly and Miami and call them a slight dog against Boston and a medium sized dog (call it +180 or something for the series) against the Bucks. 

Yeah I'm not talking about win totals or seeds - just difficult playoff runs. '14 Spurs went through prime KD and LeBron in the last 2 rounds - granted that Heat team was a little spent by that point and OKC played a couple games without Serge. Convinced laid out the Mavs run above. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I'm not talking about win totals or seeds - just difficult playoff runs. '14 Spurs went through prime KD and LeBron in the last 2 rounds - granted that Heat team was a little spent by that point and OKC played a couple games without Serge. Convinced laid out the Mavs run above. 

Stockton and Malone (prime) round 1

Barkley and a really good surrounding cast round 2

MVP Zenith level David Robinson Round 3

Shaq and Penny and Horace Grant round 4. Other than Olajuwon that’s probably 6 of the top 15 players that year. 

None of that is disparaging the Mavs or Spurs. It’s really more about no championship Team has ever had to play a team as good as that Stockton/Malone team as the Worst team they met in the playoffs. It’s more a depth as opposed to top end talent argument. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If I was them I’d certainly like to have him, at a minimum, be a guy I could throw at Giannis and figure on him playing as credible of defense as anyone in the league can play on him. I think he’s a gutless coward and is too cool for school, but he can certainly play a role for Brooklyn that could be useful even this year. 

Maybe if had played or practiced with a team for literally a single time in the last year but if you're Nash how could you possibly insert him unless things are going badly for you? Even if a player wasn't a complete liability on offense and didn't have a history of flaking out I don't think you can play him in the playoffs if it's been a year since he even practiced with any team, let alone a new one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Maybe if had played or practiced with a team for literally a single time in the last year but if you're Nash how could you possibly insert him unless things are going badly for you? Even if a player wasn't a complete liability on offense and didn't have a history of flaking out I don't think you can play him in the playoffs if it's been a year since he even practiced with any team, let alone a new one.

He’s going to walk through now!  Maybe even without his phone in his pocket. Clearly he’s locked in and bought in! 
Yeah- he’d be a break glass in case of emergency guy. 

People are really making this close loss to be something. Game meant nothing. Zero. Zilch. We had slim hopes for avoiding the play in but Denver has been destroying Memphis well before ant began to shoot for 50.

Guys a 20 yr old with 44 points and 4 minutes left. Let him shoot.

Let’s not forget how San Antonio force fed David Robinson 41 shots to score 71 points to win the scoring title

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean it's a funny ending to a game but it doesn't look like you actually got in danger of not winning. He took one too many 3s - with 26 seconds I'd try and run clock. 

They were in danger of not winning. That’s why it’s hilariously stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2