NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

25 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if narratives and expectations are what makes the MVP then DeMar DeRozan should be in the conversation for first place votes or even an outright win. 

I think he's in the peripheral discussion and seen and read some things with his name in it, but statistically and from the eye test, he's just so clearly in the 2nd or 3rd tier that narrative alone would be difficult to carry him to one.  Top 10 though... I do think he's in there somewhere.  He'd have to sustain or get a little better and have the rest of the competitors get injured and do a nosedive, which is possible, but not probable.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I also don't see the warriors becoming much worse with Lebron. And this assumes everything else stays the same. Lakers have no real future. Curry is not carrying that squad. Lebron would easily figure out how to make the Warriors work.

Yeah, if only LeBron had Wiggins, Otto Porter, Poole, Juan Tuscano-Anderson, Kevon Looney, and Draymond to work with. Anybody could make that loaded roster shine, amiright?

The Warriors work because of their selfless culture, complete buy-in, and the whole being larger than the sum of its parts (pre and post KD, obviously). Steph is that culture. Without his presence, their offense doesn't work (same can be said about Draymond on defense). LeBron, to pretty decent results, is a collector of NBA mercenaries. I could see him destroying Golden State before I could see him improving it.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

Let's revisit this Morris/Jokic scuffle, and remember that Morris started it, and Jokic finished it. Shaq and Charles both agree, if you hit me, you better not turn your back. You gonna get it in the front or the back, either way it's coming. Love it, fuck that bitchass Morris, and it's his own fault getting hurt after his nonchalant walking away from Jokic after a deliberate hit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Let's revisit this Morris/Jokic scuffle, and remember that Morris started it, and Jokic finished it. Shaq and Charles both agree, if you hit me, you better not turn your back. You gonna get it in the front or the back, either way it's coming. Love it, fuck that bitchass Morris, and it's his own fault getting hurt after his nonchalant walking away from Jokic after a deliberate hit. 

Yeah, when you look at what Morris did, he had zero intention of doing anything other than just laying into Joker.  He got everything he deserved.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Yikes

This is a really tough situation.  Two young and talented guys, who are "me" guys and therefore can't really breakthrough that ceiling into number 1.  I doubt Jaylon Brown ever can, but he still does a few things better than Tatum, like shoot, but that's really all he does better, therefore, I may seek to unload Brown, sort of blow it up and figure out an identity.  I'm also wary of Stevens as an executive and this will be a pretty stern test.  I don't have a ton of context on them or how Udoka is dealing with all of this, but it looks bad..... really bad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is a really tough situation.  Two young and talented guys, who are "me" guys and therefore can't really breakthrough that ceiling into number 1.  I doubt Jaylon Brown ever can, but he still does a few things better than Tatum, like shoot, but that's really all he does better, therefore, I may seek to unload Brown, sort of blow it up and figure out an identity.  I'm also wary of Stevens as an executive and this will be a pretty stern test.  I don't have a ton of context on them or how Udoka is dealing with all of this, but it looks bad..... really bad.

They got Brad Stevens to want to quit coaching. Think about that. 

(Unless Brad was given an ultimatum - but if he wanted to coach he could have just left and been hired in a second)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They have to start shopping at least 1 of them now, right?  I have to think there is a market for both, probably some decent players you could get from a team like the Pacers if you work it right, or maybe get in on the Ben Simmons sweepstakes if you can make him work. They really need to shake it up, they keep approaching every offseason like they just won a championship and don't need to do anything but minor tweaks. Ainge always seemed gunshy to me, dude had more assets than anyone for years and they amounted to jack shit. Gotta make a splash, go get that gamechanger and do what you gotta do.  

• Like 1

GDit!  Now I have Foreigners Dirty White Boy in my head but only now as....

Hey baby if you're feeling down
I know what's good for you all day
Are you worried what your friends see
And will it ruin your reputation loving me

'Cause I'm a sloppy fat boy
Yeah, a sloppy fatboy
A sloppy fat boy...

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Smart is a black hole?

Black hole is too strong, but he's average at best (and is only average because he plays defense).  His offensive numbers have always been sub-par but this year they are particularly atrocious.

Marcus Smart Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

He also turns 28 in March which means that this is the best version of Marcus Smart we're going to get. 

And he has 4 years and almost $80 million left on his deal 😬.

As I said a few posts up - Boston's a mess.

Edited by Message Board User

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Black hole is too strong, but he's average at best (and is only average because he plays defense).  His offensive numbers have always been sub-par but this year they are particularly atrocious.

Marcus Smart Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

He also turns 28 in March which means that this is the best version of Marcus Smart we're going to get. 

And he has 4 years and almost $80 million left on his deal 😬.

As I said a few posts up - Boston's a mess.

uh, you say his numbers this year are "particularly atrocious", yet he's above his career averages nearly across the board. 

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

"Always atrocious" is how I would describe Smart. But he has "heart" or whatever the fuck it of Bostonians are enamored by, so they pay him $80M and let him shoot 6 threes a game.

About once a month or once every playoff series he'll go 7-10 from 3 one game and Celtic fans start comparing him to Ray Allen.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

uh, you say his numbers this year are "particularly atrocious", yet he's above his career averages nearly across the board. 

Huh? He's shooting 40% from the field and 30% from 3. That isn't good even for him. 

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Huh? He's shooting 40% from the field and 30% from 3. That isn't good even for him. 

are you guys smoking crack or something? explain to me how this season has "particularly atrocious" for Marcus Smart:

FG%- career .378, 2022- .396

2PA- career 4.3, 2022- 5.5

2P FG%- career .442, 2022- .482

eFG%- career .460, 2022- .465

FT%- career .779, 2022- .792

Assists- career 4.3, 2022 5.5

PPG- career 10.3, 2022 11.6

and that's just from the link that MBU posted as "proof" that he's having a particularly atrocious year. aside from 3P shooting his numbers are actually slightly up in most offensive categories. the advanced stats show the exact same thing, despite his USG actually being down (17.4 career, 16.9 this season). 

so uh, yeah. not sure what to say except that you and MBU user are wrong. and MBU- you mad. 

Thinking about how Durant/Giannis is the main rivalry in their conference right now - last year's playoffs, MVP race they are sitting atop or close to it, all star votes they are #1 and #2 in the East - and how it's crazy that Durant early in his playoff career was battling guys like Dirk, Kobe and Duncan (all of whom were towards the tail ends of their careers but still really damn good and winning championships). I mean - KD was a pain in Kobe's ass as long ago as Kobe's last title run - and now he's a pain in Giannis' ass with Giannis in the absolute peak of his career.

He has generationally come full circle at this point and it's easy to forget how rare that really is in light of what LeBron has done. Very, very few guys have been at worst - every single year - the 3rd best player in the league for over a decade (minus his injury season) - and to have two of those guys be contemporaries is even rarer if sort of unprecedented (Magic and Bird weren't this good for this long - granted they're both above Durant as players for me. Maybe Wilt and Russell?).

It's going to be a sad couple of days when they each hang it up. Curry of course has left his mark as well but his timeline is a bit different as he reached that level a few years after Durant did and probably won't outlast KD. You have all-timers like Harden, Kawhi and Davis (you can toss other guys in there like Lillard and Russ, too) that came along or hit their stride after Durant did and have now declined or are declining before him and even LeBron (jury maybe out on Kawhi but I'll believe it when I see it).

On further thought - this is a crazy way to look at it that kind of sums up the above word vomit. 

TLDR: TWELVE seasons ago LeBron and Durant finished 1st and 2nd in MVP voting. This season one of them is an MVP frontrunner and the other is averaging 28.6/7.4/6.5 on 52/37/77 shooting splits. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

are you guys smoking crack or something? explain to me how this season has "particularly atrocious" for Marcus Smart:

FG%- career .378, 2022- .396

2PA- career 4.3, 2022- 5.5

2P FG%- career .442, 2022- .482

eFG%- career .460, 2022- .465

FT%- career .779, 2022- .792

Assists- career 4.3, 2022 5.5

PPG- career 10.3, 2022 11.6

and that's just from the link that MBU posted as "proof" that he's having a particularly atrocious year. aside from 3P shooting his numbers are actually slightly up in most offensive categories. the advanced stats show the exact same thing, despite his USG actually being down (17.4 career, 16.9 this season). 

so uh, yeah. not sure what to say except that you and MBU user are wrong. and MBU- you mad. 

Because his past 3 seasons are more relevant as a comparison than his first 4. He's 27. He shouldn't be declining.

And I misinterpreted what you meant. I was thinking career averages as in compared to every other single season. I see now you were referring to his actual career averages.

Edited by ztejas

Malika Andrews annoys me but she's much better than Max Kellerman for this desk. ESPN should take notes. 

This other chick isn't bad either. If someone could just "accidentaly" shove Jalen into a crate and ship him to East Asia we'd be set. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

I think people assume Durant is working with a lot more than he actually is. Like we know Jokic is working with shit but I'm not sure KD has had a much better situation this year. Harden regularly embarrasses himself - especially against decent teams. 

Also Nash has no fucking idea what he's doing most of the time. 

Edited by ztejas

Tonight's game sort of ironically reinforced my belief that Brooklyn is the team to beat. Milwaukee hit so much shit that they will never regularly hit in a playoff series. Nets are 5/21 from 3. 

C'mon. 

Portis, Nwora and Wes Matthews had 50 tonight. I'll drop my dick in a vat of bleach before they do that in the playoffs. 

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Do you think it was an honest mistake? 

It's such an odd choice of words and so specific, I have a hard time believing it was an accident.

It sounds sincere to me and just too bizarre of a thing to say on purpose, in my opinion. Either way, LeBron should wait to hear both sides before trying to push the cancel button on the guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

@4doorsMoreWhores I like how you get negged off the site then come here and start some stupid LeBron-hating shit when after a cursory review LeBron has done nothing wrong and is probably in the right.

Do you want to be at negative 19? I can make it happen real quick. 

Don't come shit up the NBA thread immediately after making a new account.