NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes. I'm talking about 1 on 1. Would anyone else like me to clarify...

Honestly not sure about 1 on 1 either.   Ja is bigger, stronger, and equally athletic.    Has the same crazy around the basket finishing ability.   Plays enough defense to hold his own with AI.   Then when it all broke down he could just back AI down 

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

Honestly not sure about 1 on 1 either.   Ja is bigger, stronger, and equally athletic.    Has the same crazy around the basket finishing ability.   Plays enough defense to hold his own with AI.   Then when it all broke down he could just back AI down 

AI was simply one of the most un-guardable players ever in his prime, and i would favor him over Ja in a 1 v 1. Janis a more well rounded offensive player, but AI was just unstoppable. no, he's not the best shooter ever, but 1 v 1 you better believe he is going to score on anyone who tries to stop him, especially someone who isn't an elite defender. 

Allen Iverson belongs to a group of elite athletes that i've dubbed "Freeze Tag World's Champion" athletes- Deion Sanders, Tyreek Hill, Terrance Gore, etc. you get the idea- guys who have the quick twitch, start-stop-start ability at a super elite level. the top 1% of the top 1%. he would give anyone fits in 1 v 1, whether it was MJ, Scottie, GP, Jrue, whoever. Ja? i can't see Ja even slowing AI down. it would be entertaining as hell to watch, but I can't see Ja stopping AI.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'd lean Cleveland but it's one of them. 

One difference is that I think the team that Memphis has, right now, is good enough to win a title maybe as soon as this year.  But certainly in the next year or two.  I don’t see any real weaknesses on that team and in Ja they have the most precious commodity - a guy who can get buckets when the play breaks down during winning time.

I don’t know if Cleveland has that guy yet (Garland is too small and not a good enough athlete to be that guy and Mobley as a big sometimes it’s tough to get them the ball in tight games - witness Philly every year in the playoffs with Embiid) and the team needs a talented 2 way wing in the worst way.

It should also be noted that Memphis has 3 first round picks this year, has all of their future firsts, plus Golden States 2024 first (I think top 3 or 4 protected) so they are set up exceedingly well for the future.

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

One difference is that I think the team that Memphis has, right now, is good enough to win a title maybe as soon as this year.  

gonna have to strongly disagree here. Memphis is having great regular season success, but the playoffs are a different animal. essentially zero teams just pop up and win a title without first having experienced playoff heartbreak a time or two. 

17 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

One difference is that I think the team that Memphis has, right now, is good enough to win a title maybe as soon as this year.  But certainly in the next year or two.  I don’t see any real weaknesses on that team and in Ja they have the most precious commodity - a guy who can get buckets when the play breaks down during winning time.

I don’t know if Cleveland has that guy yet (Garland is too small and not a good enough athlete to be that guy and Mobley as a big sometimes it’s tough to get them the ball in tight games - witness Philly every year in the playoffs with Embiid) and the team needs a talented 2 way wing in the worst way.

It should also be noted that Memphis has 3 first round picks this year, has all of their future firsts, plus Golden States 2024 first (I think top 3 or 4 protected) so they are set up exceedingly well for the future.

I'd like to see them win a playoff series before thinking that they're a title contender. They may be able to win a title as currently constructed but not this year. They're too young and inexperienced.

7 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Feel like Memphis was even crushing it when Ja was out for a stretch. I'm surprised how much of a good player he is though. A lot of the super athletes that have come along are fun to watch but kinda meh as far as building an elite team.

All you had to do to know he was capable as far as carrying a team is watch what he did for Murray St while he was there.  Back then he had an old school point guard way about him in that he set up players without having to actually make the final pass. In the NBA he hasn't demonstrated that as much,  partly because the NBA has evolved into a spread pick 'n roll game and partly because he's been such a dominant scorer that he's changed his game.  Regardless I believe if the circumstances were to present themselves he could be that style of player again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Brooklyn looks focused tonight. Haven't seen this in a minute. 

Side note - Durant is absolutely ridiculous when he's playing with 2 all-NBA scorers beside him. He's nutty enough when everything runs through him. When he's slashing off ball and has dudes around him to space the floor it's fucking unfair. 

Edited by ztejas

he's at least 7 feet tall and is the most skilled scorer (shooter?) of all time. he's an absolute cheat code.

reminder: Rick Barnes winning over KD's mama is what got him to Texas. Barnes was the only coach who didn't promise KD anything. just said he'd have an opportunity to earn his PT. the fact that this kind of thing would sway KD and Mama KD shows what kind of guy KD is- he always wants to be pushed further. he's a top 10 player all time by now, even if most won't call it just yet. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Nets are putting on a clinic. They could still fuck around and lose but it's rare to see a switch flip like this 40 games into the season. I think they've reminded everyone why Vegas has them as the favorite. 

Granted - some really good ball being played on both sides. Chicago is pretty legit. Great game so far. 

And Kyrie hasn't made a shot yet...

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Nets are putting on a clinic. They could still fuck around and lose but it's rare to see a switch flip like this 40 games into the season. I think they've reminded everyone why Vegas has them as the favorite. 

Granted - some really good ball being played on both sides. Chicago is pretty legit. Great game so far. 

And Kyrie hasn't made a shot yet...

Sucks Derrick Jones went out early. He was the best matchup for KD they have on their roster. Wish Caruso would’ve been healthy for this game, would’ve been fun to see his defense against Kyrie/Harden

9 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Sucks Derrick Jones went out early. He was the best matchup for KD they have on their roster. Wish Caruso would’ve been healthy for this game, would’ve been fun to see his defense against Kyrie/Harden

Yeah I guess. Both teams playing great ball. I don't think Derrick Jones is making KD sweat any time soon. 

Side note - not sure the East has been this much fun in... 40 years?

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Bulls can’t string together stops and scores on the other end. It’s only one or the other

CHI getting worked at this point. This Nets team is a problem - question marks that remain are health and will Kyrie be able to actually play every playoff game. With a healthy big 3 no one is beating them. 

(Not that I thought CHI was quite a contender yet - MIL will be the real test)

Edited by ztejas

@Message Board User games like this are why I'm not buying the Grizz. 

(Editing to cull the overposting)

This has to be the biggest bitchslapping of the year so far. Not going to read into it too much other than recognizing that BKN definitely has a hidden gear and CHI has some question marks before they're considered an actual contender. I don't think BKN is 30 points better @CHI than the Bulls but this definitely quiets some noise. 

Edited by ztejas

38 minutes ago, d2o said:

Pretty confused by this one.   Reddish, Hill AND a 1st for Kevin Knox and a 2nd??

You’re misreading- Reddish for Hill, Knox, and a protected first.

Not a bad deal for the Knicks (although it keeps them from tanking sufficiently).  Reddish is only 22 and has started to flash some potential after a rough first season or two.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

You’re misreading- Reddish for Hill, Knox, and a protected first.

Not a bad deal for the Knicks (although it keeps them from tanking sufficiently).  Reddish is only 22 and has started to flash some potential after a rough first season or two.

That makes more sense

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

One year ago today…

Low key winner of that trade was Cleveland.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

The Russell Westbrook experiment is not going as planned.  Who could have seen this coming?  

Last night's loss to Sacto: 2-14, 0-5 3's.  I don't believe that is good.

Actually it's going exactly as planned.

• Hook 'Em 1

Granted Ja's a bit bigger and might be a better athlete. 

AI is one of the best athletes we have ever seen in any sport. Tremendous speed, shiftiness, acceleration, body control, etc.

He was also a great football player.  AI actually thinks he would have had a better football than basketball career if he had stayed with it.  I don't doubt it. He would have been Michael Vick before Michael Vick.

31 minutes ago, HookEm said:

AI is one of the best athletes we have ever seen in any sport. Tremendous speed, shiftiness, acceleration, body control, etc.

He was also a great football player.  AI actually thinks he would have had a better football than basketball career if he had stayed with it.  I don't doubt it. He would have been Michael Vick before Michael Vick.

He could have been really awesome for like 4-5 games. I get that he would have avoided a lot of hits but one blind-side on his frame and it could get ugly fast. I think he chose correctly.

On 1/13/2022 at 1:22 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What’s the beef with the raptor and Booker? Mascots have been behind baskets distracting free throw shooters since the beginning of mascots. Wtf is Booker complaining about? He just jumped a little bit…

booker:

kobe-bryant-nba.gif

12 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

They really should trade him and rebuild. That team is going nowhere even with AD healthy. 

Agreed, but I think I'd prefer to trade Russ.  The market for his $44 mil deal (and $47 next year) should be robust.  We could get a haul.

I am quite certain it is the single most untradeable contract in NBA history.

48 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Agreed, but I think I'd prefer to trade Russ.  The market for his $44 mil deal (and $47 next year) should be robust.  We could get a haul.

I am quite certain it is the single most untradeable contract in NBA history.

...that's already been traded 3 times now. And somehow the team trading him usually comes out on top and actually acquires draft picks. NBA GMs seem to be pretty stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

#AllStar

he played like 5 games at Vandy and then got hurt. then he went to Cleveland, which at that time was the toxic wasteland of the NBA, so people just aren't up on him. he's a rising star in this league for sure, and could be a guy who appears in many all star games and playoff series'. he's a real dual threat PG who can kill you either way you want it. 

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

#AllStar

I think all-star over under for y'all is like ~1.2. Pretty sure Allen makes it - doubt both he and Garland make it but it's possible. Also possible is they both get snubbed. Which would be a travesty. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think all-star over under for y'all is like ~1.2. Pretty sure Allen makes it - doubt both he and Garland make it but it's possible. Also possible is they both get snubbed. Which would be a travesty. 

Garland, Allen, and Mobley should be locks.

Kevin Love and Cedi Osman 50/50.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he played like 5 games at Vandy and then got hurt. then he went to Cleveland, which at that time was the toxic wasteland of the NBA, so people just aren't up on him. he's a rising star in this league for sure, and could be a guy who appears in many all star games and playoff series'. he's a real dual threat PG who can kill you either way you want it. 

His herky-jerky game reminds me a lot of Steve Nash.  Probably a better defender and worse passer but the similarities are there. 

I can see him become a 50/40/90 consistently (he's at 46.5/37.2/91 this season and is only about to turn 22 later this month) which would be crazy for a small guy.