2021 - 2022 Dallas Mavericks: The Vibes are Immaculate

CBT

25 minutes ago, Skipper said:

We lose 2 games and everyone ready to give up on the next decade LOL.

We won the 3-ball column and still got blown out. It's definitely disheartening and depressing and I can see where the doom spiral thinking like give up until next decade would set in.

By waste, I mean not win a championship.  It's not a doom spiral. PHX is damn good and have Paul and Booker.  Luka needs real help, if you are going to complete for a championship, besides a few decent pieces like dinwiddie/DFS/Brunson.  Barkley said it last night that Luka is gonna have to not be so ball dominant.  that's easy to say but when you have dudes completely disappear its hard to deal with other than "let me see if I can do it all".  He needs another star and Cuban has failed to deliver on that front.  Porzingis was too injury prone.

It's possible we get lucky in a draft at some point but given where we will be selecting most of the time, unlikely.

We'll see if Cuban can make it happen. he should have had 2 at least with Dirk.

• Like 1

Let's worry about the offseason when it's the offseason and see what happens.   None of us expected to be a 4 seed and in the 2nd round when we got rid of Porzingis (the entire point of which was for flexibility to build around Luka, not for a run this year).  It's this crews first real offseason.  I'm not ready to throw in the towel for the entire Luka tenure because a team never expected to compete is getting outclassed by the favorite to win it all in games 1 and 2.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2022-23 Mavs should have only two of THJ, Brunson, and Dinwiddie. I know they serve different roles but from a cap management perspective they are never going to be able to afford to pay Luka, THJ, JB, and Dinwiddie. And fucking Bertans's contract is a boat anchor for a guy that plays no D and has been a hair better than league average from deep. They need to upgrade interior defense and wing depth. Mo Bamba and Miles Bridges are a couple interesting free agents for them to look at. If you can get a big guy on that level, I think you let Brunson walk, extend Dinwiddie, and try to trade THJ. Can't imagine there's much of a market but I'd at least kick the tires.

• Like 1

2022-23 Mavs should have only two of THJ, Brunson, and Dinwiddie. I know they serve different roles but from a cap management perspective they are never going to be able to afford to pay Luka, THJ, JB, and Dinwiddie. And fucking Bertans's contract is a boat anchor for a guy that plays no D and has been a hair better than league average from deep. They need to upgrade interior defense and wing depth. Mo Bamba and Miles Bridges are a couple interesting free agents for them to look at. If you can get a big guy on that level, I think you let Brunson walk, extend Dinwiddie, and try to trade THJ. Can't imagine there's much of a market but I'd at least kick the tires.
I agree with that except dinwiddie is the one you have to get rid of, not brunson. Dinwiddie is a one man show. He can't be the primary handler and get his team involved. That's why he was so bad in Washington.

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
12 hours ago, Llogg said:

I agree with that except dinwiddie is the one you have to get rid of, not brunson. Dinwiddie is a one man show. He can't be the primary handler and get his team involved. That's why he was so bad in Washington.

I'm not suggesting dinwiddie is better than brunson, but I expect the price tag for brunson to be higher. Anybody know starts on dinwiddie and Luka sharing the floor? I feel like that hasn't happened enough to know how compatible they might be.

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

I'm not suggesting dinwiddie is better than brunson, but I expect the price tag for brunson to be higher. Anybody know starts on dinwiddie and Luka sharing the floor? I feel like that hasn't happened enough to know how compatible they might be.

that makes sense.  i'm struggling to figure out how much brunson's going to command on the market.  he made himself a lot of money the utah series but is well on the way to losing it against the suns.  he just does not do well with lengthy defenders.  

dinwiddie and luka have never been in the starting lineup together.  they're not on the floor together much actually.  when they are they're pretty inefficient.  

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

other than reggie picking up cp3 in the backcourt on every possession we haven't made any tactical adjustments i can see.  we're playing with a fire tonight.

Luka began almost every possession in the high post to start the game as opposed to initiating the offense from the wing. In fact most of his offensive work today has been in the post.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Luka began almost every possession in the high post to start the game as opposed to initiating the offense from the wing. In fact most of his offensive work today has been in the post.  

good one, i didn't notice that.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

good one, i didn't notice that.

Yeah it's obvious they're saving Luka's legs. He's taken on an overwhelming load so far this series. I thought way too much was made of Booker and Paul hunting Luka at the end of the game. It was clear that their success had a lot more to do with Luka being fatigued as opposed to him being a poor defensive player. A significant number of those 50 possessions against Luka happened in the first half and they didn't have nearly the same level of success when he had his legs. 

It’s hard to convey how fucking atrocious these refs have been tonight.

Multiple non-calls against the Suns, multiple out-of-bounds calls against the Suns, and phantom fouls against Luka and Maxi.

Watching the NBA is just a beating.

Edited by Ghost of Shag

What a weird series. In this game Phoenix shot just as good overall, better from three, and outrebounded us again. 17 turnovers really killed them. I think they will fix that, but I don’t know how Crowder is doing what he’s doing. He has got to cool off. 

On 5/5/2022 at 4:04 PM, dcar00 said:

Cuban is gonna waste Luka.  No one wants to play here.  Nikola is gonna sign the supermax.

Luka is going to end up like Barkley chasing a ring after the supermax ends.

I really fear you are right. Cuban is a clown show. I don’t know why they would want to play here. 

On 5/5/2022 at 8:30 PM, Llogg said:

No thanks on Bamba. And absolutely do not extend Dinwiddie. He’s streaky and not as prolific as THJ. 

I think I keep Luka JB DFS and Reggie. Those guys can fit well with Luka.

Everyone else should be on the table.  

I think they really miss Tim in this series but he should be moved too.

Saying that, they probably come back with 95 percent of the same roster.

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

No thanks on Bamba. And absolutely do not extend Dinwiddie. He’s streaky and not as prolific as THJ. 

Stats disagree with you regarding Dinwiddie vs THJ. They're almost identical with Dinwiddie being a little more efficient and little better on defense but a slightly worse shooter across their careers. If you look at just this season, Dinwiddie has been a better shooter and slightly worse defender. The biggest thing arguing to keep/extend Dinwiddie over THJ is their contracts. THJ costs $6-7M more per year, which is not good value.

I'm still in the group who sees that Bamba has done well when given minutes. And let's be honest, he does not have to be dominant to be an upgrade over what the Mavs are trotting out there now. If he could be a better rim protecting, more athletic version of Maxi (which is what the stats suggest he is), I'm sure the Mavs would be over the moon to replace Powell with him. Just think of him as a cheaper Porzingis who would actually be happy to be there.

Screenshot_2022-05-07_12-45-33.png

Screenshot_2022-05-07_12-49-43.png

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Let's give the new front office at least one offseason before we go down this road. We actually have assets that are moveable this offseason and I'd like to see how they try to use those. 

While I'm willing to give the new front office a try I agree with @Porterhouse that Cuban is the fly in the ointment. His meddling has been part of why the Mavs have had such atrocious luck with the draft over the last 20+ years.