Game Week- Iowa State

Wulaw Horn

My B-I-L is extremely impatient. Nevermind that I am a central Texas kid who never sat in a combine until I was in my late 30s, if I don't hit the exact correct MPH and spacing from the combine, he'll rip me a new one. I wouldn't even mention watching football to him.
Hate that I'm not up there this week. I need to be home on Sunday and the 6-day window and night game screwed me. 

Sounds like a typical combine operator.

Set your speed, drive straight, don’t look back, and keep your hand off the goddamn throttle. Adjusting things is my job. I can see in the grain cart- you can’t. 

Yeah, I do that.

Combine drops back suddenly? Oh you’re filling the back of the cart. I’ll stay set. Oh wait, you’re suddenly slowing down, didn’t communicate and started spilling grain everywhere? Cart’s fault.

Combine drops back suddenly on the next round? Shit, he’s gotta slow down again. Throttle back. Oh, wait. You’re just filling the back of the cart? Cart’s fault.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the NFL Combine really is the National Foot Loose Combine competition? 

Very well, we select with our first pick---Kevin Bacon.  Apparently Chris Penn is not available.

Farmall 806.  Big 12 Grain Buggy (with those huge ass airplane tires).  Keeping up with 3 JD 95s in a section of milo.  Not a cab in sight.  Itchy as hell.  Had to time pickups for runs into the wind.  At night you found the combines going away from you by the orange glow of their mufflers.  It was always the buggy driver who kept speed with the combine.  Guess things have changed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Farmall 806.  Big 12 Grain Buggy (with those huge ass airplane tires).  Keeping up with 3 JD 95s in a section of milo.  Not a cab in sight.  Itchy as hell.  Had to time pickups for runs into the wind.  At night you found the combines going away from you by the orange glow of their mufflers.  It was always the buggy driver who kept speed with the combine.  Guess things have changed.

The 06 series are some of my favorite tractors of all time. We picked rock with a gas 706 as a kid.

33 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You’ll miss Midwest combine talk when the board gets flooded with people from Mississippi debating the finer points of noose tying.

Hey, I will. I will still be traveling to Iowa several times a year. Wish we would still be playing y'all.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So the NFL Combine really is the National Foot Loose Combine competition? 

Very well, we select with our first pick---Kevin Bacon.  Apparently Chris Penn is not available.

There is a town about two hours away (which is nothing out here) that has a combine demolition derby each year during the county fair. 

• Like 1

Since we all know UT is going to lose and I have a captive Iowan audience, is Cedar Rapids your favorite movie that takes place in Iowa or is there another one I should watch instead of this game on Saturday?

We’ve got like 3, between that Bridges of Madison County, and Field of Dreams.

I don’t really love any of them. FOD wins, I guess.
  • Hook 'Em 2