Game Week- Iowa State

Wulaw Horn

On 10/31/2021 at 4:05 PM, ONE YARD said:

First game I won’t be watching in years. 
I don’t have fs1 after cutting the cable.  In the past I would make plans to go somewhere to watch it.  Now, I’ll be taking the kiddo to the beach.  Love me some fall gulf coast beach time. 

Get Sling. I don't miss Dish. But I do miss the Horns being relevant, sigh 😣

You’ll miss Midwest combine talk when the board gets flooded with people from Mississippi debating the finer points of noose tying.
Trust me, if it weren't for the money and national perception carefully crafted for decades by ESPN, the SEC wouldn't be my first or even second choice of conference.

36 minutes ago, ousux said:

So you aren't watching the game to see your team win?

That's the only way you won't see us choke away 4 in a row.

I'll be watching but I definitely don't expect us to win.  Our defense looked like shit last week and Rose is pretty dinged up.

2 hours ago, ousux said:

Can you not hunt coyotes in Texas? Thought pretty much everything that moves has a season here..including hoodrats with governor goodwheels gun laws.

Edit- assuming you're here

I’m sure I probably could hunt coyotes in Texas. Hell, I got one last year in The Woodlands area.

Going with a SurlyBevo-er to a farm in Iowa would provide me with more open areas and (presumably) a host who would allow me to hunt.

Finding a landowner who is willing isn’t always easy.

76864F1E-FE17-41BB-8490-53460F3A6352.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TexMexBuddha said:

Where is the Friday thread? 

Shit, sorry guys. My actually paying job got in the way since I have a trial next week.  But I’m guessing that with the level of enthusiasm on this board as of late I’d be lucky if my Friday thread got to two pages.

In any event, sorry to let you down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Harvest crews chase coyotes out of cornfields like crazy this time of year. I see 2-3 per week, which means we’re probably pushing 5x that many.

Most coyote hunting is in the dead of winter though. Much easier to spot them against a blanket of snow.

Can’t hide from thermal. 200.gif

• Like 2

Shit, sorry guys. My actually paying job got in the way since I have a trial next week.  But I’m guessing that with the level of enthusiasm on this board as of late I’d be lucky if my Friday thread got to two pages.
In any event, sorry to let you down. 
Hey man. No worries. As OP, I approve of a short life to this thread, but fuck if this didn't come in the mail today.

We are going to win!

FIGHT!!!!!dbc7394f6e8c5d3ff34b4f7715e4186a.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

oh fuck me

Fuck you Brando.  Fuck you Big 12 for again letting this happen.  

Let Randolph Duke call the OU game you assholes.

The Big 8 was crooked as shit and so is was the Big 12.

Good for you that you’ll be regulated to one of if not the worst conference.  

Btw thanks in advance for getting the refs in line tomorrow.  

My your shitty lil conference die a slow death…

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

I’m sure I probably could hunt coyotes in Texas. Hell, I got one last year in The Woodlands area.

Going with a SurlyBevo-er to a farm in Iowa would provide me with more open areas and (presumably) a host who would allow me to hunt.

Finding a landowner who is willing isn’t always easy.

76864F1E-FE17-41BB-8490-53460F3A6352.jpeg

They’re completely different about that stuff up there. My in-laws say people will often let you hunt on their property if you just ask them. (I’ve never tried) Lots of people don’t have fences because you can farm more property if you aren’t worried about catching a fence with a combine or implement.

I CAN imagine the conversation, though...”Hey, y’all. This is lilMAC. He’s going to hunt with me. He’s from the internet.”

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Only people who run cattle on corn stalks, or the ranches in south central Iowa actually use fences anymore. There are still plenty from the old days when everyone ran cattle, but we pull all of those out.

Same. No trees except for right by the house. No unnecessary buildings, etc. Farm every available inch  

Same. No trees except for right by the house. No unnecessary buildings, etc. Farm every available inch  

Fun fact: there are actually more trees in Iowa today than at the time of European settlement.

Mostly due to wind breaks planted around farm houses and ones that have sprung up in neglected fencelines as a result of no prairie fires or bison grazing.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I woke up today way more excited about gameday signs involving Pole Assassin and The Monkey than I am about our showdown in Ames.  

here’s to 7-6 fellas.   Where’s the bloody Mary’s at?

Nah, we beat Kansas and Kansas State (barely).  Split the WVU and Bowl games (Cheez It or Houston).   Lose tonight.   7-6.  Contract extensions all the way around, even for the Monkey  

17 hours ago, Horn80 said:

If Texas chokes 4 in a row, Sark should be nicknamed Mama Cass.

Can't get his team to play a consistent 4 quarters but can they lose 4 games in a row in the same consistent way?

We will only know if they build a double digit lead. More than likely we can expect a total collapse in the 4th loss in a row.

8 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Can't get his team to play a consistent 4 quarters but can they lose 4 games in a row in the same consistent way?

We will only know if they build a double digit lead. More than likely we can expect a total collapse in the 4th loss in a row.

that's because we consistently shit the bed on the 2nd half.  that's who we are.

13 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Fun fact: there are actually more trees in Iowa today than at the time of European settlement.

Mostly due to wind breaks planted around farm houses and ones that have sprung up in neglected fencelines as a result of no prairie fires or bison grazing.

Well, 6 is more than 4…..

just fucking with you..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No offense taken. There’s plenty of truth in that joke. We’re one of two states (Kansas the other) with no national forest, IIRC.

I’ll have to tell my FIL that new nugget of trivia.  He’s coming into town today from Kansas.  

they’re on a good Sized lot and only have one tree.  Each year, he lights it up for Christmas.  And each year, my wife and think of the festivus pole as he commands people to bask in the trees illuminated glory.  
“have you seen the lit tree out there, lobo?”  
(me standing by the living room window that looks out at only the tree and then barren nothingness to the horizon)

my wife, “dad, he doesn’t need to see the tree.”

him, “oh he’s gonna see the tree!”

me, “I find your arboreal system, fascinating”

Edited by Lobo

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No offense taken. There’s plenty of truth in that joke. We’re one of two states (Kansas the other) with no national forest, IIRC.

I’m a cartography geek, and a landscape photographer. As such I have looked at thousands of maps and surveys over my lifetime, and never once noticed that simple fact. You taught me something this morning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ll have to tell my FIL that new nugget of trivia.  He’s coming into town today from Kansas.  

they’re on a good Sized lot and only have one tree.  Each year, he lights it up for Christmas.  And each year, my wife and think of the festivus pole as he commands people to bask in the trees illuminated glory.  
“have you seen the lit tree out there, lobo?”  
(me standing by the living room window that looks out at only the tree and then barren nothingness to the horizon)
my wife, “dad, he doesn’t need to see the tree.”
him, “oh he’s gonna see the tree!”
me, “I find your arboreal system, fascinating”

There’s a local landmark about 40 miles west of my hometown that’s literally a single oak tree next to a state highway that people hang Xmas lights on. People drive there to take their Xmas cards in front of it and shit

04d6b6db7ccd6d7f68bd92c0d7510551.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4

I’m a cartography geek, and a landscape photographer. As such I have looked at thousands of maps and surveys over my lifetime, and never once noticed that simple fact. You taught me something this morning.

One of those county-sized states on the east coast might technically lack a national forest, but they’re completely tree covered regardless

al, please mansplain us the historical accident that sees you surrounded by the b1g and not in it
michigan: 2 schools
indiana: 2 schools
illinois: 2 schools

Go back 10 years and Iowa was the lone school west of the Mississippi in the Big 10. Historically, the Big 8/12 was the exact right spot for ISU. We actually had an opportunity to join the Big 10 in the 50’s and passed out of loyalty and the belief that the Big 8 was better fit. No good deed goes unpunished.

If anything, I’d argue that Iowa should have been in the Big 8 instead of Colorado.

ISU and Ames fit better with the plains states land grants than the massive rust belt schools. It just turned out that schools like Nebraska, Missouri, Aggy, you guys, and OU were asshole business partners and Ohio State and Michigan were benevolent dictators content to subsidize smaller schools.

TLDR: we ended up surrounded by the Big 10 because of what happened in the Big 8/12, which is our natural home.