Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Everman clearly going right back to the "just give the ball to Juan" offense

Man, I so don't want to see Juan risk injury playing every skill position.  Increases the odds with each touch--love the versatility though. 

Edited by Mdhorn

20 hours ago, Houston20 said:

when does LJ's season start? Heard he wants to commit beforehand to focus solely on his team but he keeps flip-flopping on setting a hard date

If some of y'all still haven't put it together its a "when" not "if" that he chooses a certain blue blood program

20 hours ago, Houston20 said:

also, there's a certain bearcat waiting in the wings to see how the offense/team looks like before making all of us happy

This is is the good stuff. Yes, please. On both.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

A grad transfer Center should be looked at next year.  The Ole Miss guy would be perfect.  Would enroll in January and be able to go through offseason and Spring ball.

Agree.  OL 2021 recruiting is frustrating ( FUCK BROCKS!!)

Would it also make sense (for depth) to look at one/two 2021 transfer OL that have 2-3yrs of eligibility remaining??

16 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Yeah, the depth chart for ‘21 looks fucking scary. 

What depth chart are you looking at? We’ll have 7 upperclassmen along with some promising second years like Majors and Karic. If those two are ready to see the field in year 2, which looks very likely, we’ll have 8 quality guys  plus the option to add a grad transfer or two. There’s also a chance Okafor or Kerstetter choose to stay another year.  Our OL depth is fine for the next couple years.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

What depth chart are you looking at? We’ll have 7 upperclassmen along with some promising second years like Majors and Karic. If those two are ready to see the field in year 2, which looks very likely, we’ll have 8 quality guys  plus the option to add a grad transfer or two. Our OL depth is fine for the next couple years.

I haven’t seen those two guys play a down of college football. I have no clue who’s going to take over for Cosmi, Jones? There’s going to be a shit ton of unknowns, which is why grad transfers are an absolute must. 

9 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I haven’t seen those two guys play a down of college football. I have no clue who’s going to take over for Cosmi, Jones? There’s going to be a shit ton of unknowns, which is why grad transfers are an absolute must. 

If you have good entrenched senior starters, you'll have unknowns the next year. It's ok.

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

What depth chart are you looking at? We’ll have 7 upperclassmen along with some promising second years like Majors and Karic. If those two are ready to see the field in year 2, which looks very likely, we’ll have 8 quality guys  plus the option to add a grad transfer or two. There’s also a chance Okafor or Kerstetter choose to stay another year.  Our OL depth is fine for the next couple years.

Anyone with a brain can see it's a "oh boy we need to figure this out in 3 years" issue, but people are conflating it with our good problem of Cosmi and Kerstetter being good as hell and leaving after this year.

10 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Of course you’re not going to have seen guys play two years out from when you expect them to start. If your standard is that you only trust guys you’ve seen play, then no shit, a depth chart two seasons from now will have a lot of holes.

The point is that we’ll have at least 7 guys who’ve been in the program 3 years or more. That sets a solid floor for your OL, especially compared to some of the shit shows we’ve seen in the last ten years. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Of course you’re not going to have seen guys play two years out from when you expect them to start. If your standard is that you only trust guys you’ve seen play, then no shit, a depth chart two seasons from now will have a lot of holes.

The point is that we’ll have at least 7 guys who’ve been in the program 3 years or more. That sets a solid floor for your OL, especially compared to some of the shit shows we’ve seen in the last ten years. 

Well, when you’re counting on guys that haven’t played much college football I think it’s ok to be concerned. 

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Well, when you’re counting on guys that haven’t played much college football I think it’s ok to be concerned. 

It’s stupid to fear monger over a year before guys will be needed to start, especially if you refuse to project guys at all. Saying the 2021 depth chart looks scary before you’ve even seen the guys play in 2020 is just dumb. 

We could easily have 4 returning starters next year and then no one will be concerned about the OL. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s stupid to fear monger over a year before guys will be needed to start, especially if you refuse to project guys at all. Saying the 2021 depth chart looks scary before you’ve even seen the guys play in 2020 is just dumb. 

We could easily have 4 returning starters next year and then no one will be concerned about the OL. 

I think it’s stupid to project all these guys that haven’t played a down as future starters, but hey we just disagree. 

Cosmi had to redshirt and did not get to play a fucking game in his true freshman year.  Karic will get to play all year when his number is called and it will not count against his eligibility.  That is huge.  Karic is going to get experience for free.  So will Jake Majors.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Cosmi had to redshirt and did not get to play a fucking game in his true freshman year.  Karic will get to play all year when his number is called and it will not count against his eligibility.  That is huge.  Karic is going to get experience for free.  

Hopefully we get to see Karic and Majors in the 2nd half some Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I think it’s stupid to project all these guys that haven’t played a down as future starters, but hey we just disagree. 

Teams that have 7 or more OL with 3+ years in the system rarely have bad OLs. And on those teams, Upperclassmen play, Lower classmen don’t, so yeah, there will have to be some projection involved 2 seasons out. These shouldn’t be hard concepts to understand.  

Our depth chart for 2021 isn’t necessarily elite, but it also isn’t scary.

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

—Billy Embody from our LSU site went out to Aledo and talked with JoJo Earle this week. He sent me some quotes and I did some checking on my end, and it sounds like the visit to LSU over the weekend really cemented his commitment. Leading up to the weekend, I was hearing positive buzz from sources in Austin optimistic about maybe flipping him down the road. A large part of that was based on the fact that Earle committed to LSU without ever seeing Baton Rouge. It sounds like Earle loved what he saw over the weekend and really clicked with the rest of the class. Barring something big changing, I think it will be tough to flip Earle at this point.

—I checked in this week with sources near Shemar Turner this week. Not much has changed in his recruitment. I heard some whispers that Georgia was gaining some steam in this recruitment, but I haven’t been able to talk to anyone that would verify that information. My gut tells me that this still comes down to Texas and Texas A&M, but I wouldn’t count Georgia or Alabama out at this point. Texas has been putting forth an all-out effort for him and they may not be done making some moves there. At last check, Turner was planning to decide in December but there was some talk he could make a quicker decision as he is starting to tire of the process.

—For the first time in his recruitment, I’m starting to waver on the confidence with Terrence Cooks. I’ve had my pick in for Texas since the spring, and I still think the Longhorns are in the lead, but the recent LSU offer made an impact. Cooks has been close to deciding several times over the summer, but now his recruitment hit a bit of a reset. The biggest thing Texas will fight is the perception that they waste the potential of highly-recruited players. NFL Draft results have been a thorn in Tom Herman’s side even though this is the first year his classes will largely be draft eligible. I still like the relationship Coleman Hutzler has with Cooks and his family, but Texas is in a fight for this one after running largely unopposed for a while.

—I continue to hear positive vibes around Texas and La Porte defensive tackle Albert Regis. While Regis can be a tough kid to read, Mark Hagen is staying on him tight. Regis is one of the most important remaining targets on the defensive board for Texas, and I think the Longhorns can reel him in if they stay the course. Another important target for Texas is Andrew Mukuba. The September 7 deadline for commitment he gave has passed. I talked to Mukuba and he said plans have changed. He will likely release a top three soon and then work on making his decision. I think this one comes down to Texas and Clemson.

I'll believe my Surly insiders over Roach any day

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, canadianhorn21 said:
  Hide contents

—Billy Embody from our LSU site went out to Aledo and talked with JoJo Earle this week. He sent me some quotes and I did some checking on my end, and it sounds like the visit to LSU over the weekend really cemented his commitment. Leading up to the weekend, I was hearing positive buzz from sources in Austin optimistic about maybe flipping him down the road. A large part of that was based on the fact that Earle committed to LSU without ever seeing Baton Rouge. It sounds like Earle loved what he saw over the weekend and really clicked with the rest of the class. Barring something big changing, I think it will be tough to flip Earle at this point.

—I checked in this week with sources near Shemar Turner this week. Not much has changed in his recruitment. I heard some whispers that Georgia was gaining some steam in this recruitment, but I haven’t been able to talk to anyone that would verify that information. My gut tells me that this still comes down to Texas and Texas A&M, but I wouldn’t count Georgia or Alabama out at this point. Texas has been putting forth an all-out effort for him and they may not be done making some moves there. At last check, Turner was planning to decide in December but there was some talk he could make a quicker decision as he is starting to tire of the process.

—For the first time in his recruitment, I’m starting to waver on the confidence with Terrence Cooks. I’ve had my pick in for Texas since the spring, and I still think the Longhorns are in the lead, but the recent LSU offer made an impact. Cooks has been close to deciding several times over the summer, but now his recruitment hit a bit of a reset. The biggest thing Texas will fight is the perception that they waste the potential of highly-recruited players. NFL Draft results have been a thorn in Tom Herman’s side even though this is the first year his classes will largely be draft eligible. I still like the relationship Coleman Hutzler has with Cooks and his family, but Texas is in a fight for this one after running largely unopposed for a while.

—I continue to hear positive vibes around Texas and La Porte defensive tackle Albert Regis. While Regis can be a tough kid to read, Mark Hagen is staying on him tight. Regis is one of the most important remaining targets on the defensive board for Texas, and I think the Longhorns can reel him in if they stay the course. Another important target for Texas is Andrew Mukuba. The September 7 deadline for commitment he gave has passed. I talked to Mukuba and he said plans have changed. He will likely release a top three soon and then work on making his decision. I think this one comes down to Texas and Clemson.

I'll believe my Surly insiders over Roach any day

Realized the board was getting absolutely plastered on koolaid and trying to rein it in a bit, I see.

I don't think we're going to start anyone at OL in '21. Like Poe, I am very smart.

Card will play “center”, he either deep snaps to Sam (because he returns for another year) or JJ in the shotgun (they are both in the backfield in this scenario). The rest of the players on the field are receivers along with Bijan. Imagine all the packages we could run!

Just now, golfclap said:

It's a strange deal - we need 2-3 more OL in this class but I don't want any of the guys that are currently being targeted and am more than happy to see them go elsewhere.

I guess I feel like Texas will eventually get back to the jumbo athlete takes and away from these marginal guys that Hand seems to be defaulting to this year. Guys that don't seem like they'd ever play a down here. It's frustrating as fuck to watch him flail about. I'm glad that Yurcich is starting to spend some cycles on OTs but now that the season is here, his recruiting time is going to be diminished. 

Jacoby Jackson would be a nice addition. Salvaging this 2021 mess into an OL class of Conner, Cade, Jackson, and Myslinski would be a decent turn of events. In a rolling 3 year view adding a couple of quality depth players (one with NFL potential) and at least 1 sure NFL player between the 2020 and 2022 classes would be a good turn of events from this fumbling. The key there is that the 2022 class is already spinning out of Hand's control again. It's past time to put a full time resource in place to recruit and build relationships for him - just like they did with Drayton. 

Hasn't Walsh been helping him out a bit?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Fuck Todd Orlando. Of course we are going to see Sweat and Coburn together, Ash might be a meathead but he knows bigger/stronger/faster wins 1:1 and isn't going to get in the goddamn way (Looking at you Todd).  It's not the 700 pounds of beef that is the real issue - it's that both of them possess incredible lateral quickness at that size. In other words? Put them inside with Ossai and Collins on the ends and ... 

200.gif

The difference b/t Orlando and Ash is that Ash knows he’s a meathead.  Orlando thinks he’s smarter than everyone.  Ash’s plan is like: 1. Tackle 2. 
gladiator GIF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The Eagles second string thing has always seemed like a way to motivate him. I’m glad we added Black, but I don’t believe for a second he’s better than Eagles (even if Eagles still has a lot of work needed on technical aspects. If only we hadn’t wasted Eagles first two developmental years by having a fucktard of the highest order coaching him). I expect Eagles to be the starter by conference play two weeks from now. 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

It's a strange deal - we need 2-3 more OL in this class but I don't want any of the guys that are currently being targeted and am more than happy to see them go elsewhere.

I guess I feel like Texas will eventually get back to the jumbo athlete takes and away from these marginal guys that Hand seems to be defaulting to this year. Guys that don't seem like they'd ever play a down here. It's frustrating as fuck to watch him flail about. I'm glad that Yurcich is starting to spend some cycles on OTs but now that the season is here, his recruiting time is going to be diminished. 

Jacoby Jackson would be a nice addition. Salvaging this 2021 mess into an OL class of Conner, Cade, Jackson, and Myslinski would be a decent turn of events. In a rolling 3 year view adding a couple of quality depth players (one with NFL potential) and at least 1 sure NFL player between the 2020 and 2022 classes would be a good turn of events from this fumbling. The key there is that the 2022 class is already spinning out of Hand's control again. It's past time to put a full time resource in place to recruit and build relationships for him - just like they did with Drayton. 

I like Leyrer well enough considering our current circumstances, but I also won’t worry missing on him specifically, Though it’s hard to imagine how anyone can be striking out this hard as a recruiter at Texas. Regardless, get one of Jackson/Cade and then find a late bloomer a la C. Jones and Hookfin and then don’t fuck up 22 this bad by 1) better play on the field and 2) give Hand a shit load of help since it’s obvious he’s struggling to an almost unfathomable level. Herman should have already been giving Hand help with things going this poorly. We have some really good recruiters as analysts on staff and with Covid, they can recruit just as easily as a position coach. It should be all Hands (and some guys who can actually recruit) on deck for 21 and 22 OL recruiting as of about two months ago. 

The TFB note about the OL isn’t good. Hopefully they’re just struggling with our DL, which is about 8-9 guys deep, so both first and second string should be giving the OL trouble, but if Hand’s gonna struggle this much in recruiting, our OL better be really fucking good this year. Hand’s got no excuses left with Yurcich here and going into his third year as the OL coach. 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Fuck Todd Orlando. Of course we are going to see Sweat and Coburn together, Ash might be a meathead but he knows bigger/stronger/faster wins 1:1 and isn't going to get in the goddamn way (Looking at you Todd).  It's not the 700 pounds of beef that is the real issue - it's that both of them possess incredible lateral quickness at that size. In other words? Put them inside with Ossai and Collins on the ends and ... 

200.gif

I definitely think we’ll see them together some, but they’re both so big you have to limit their snaps and if you pay them together too much, then that will lead to some drives with neithe run which could be a problem. Really, we need a 3 tech who can consistently win 1 on 1, be it Graham, Collins or someone else. With Ossai and one of Coburn/ Sweat the 3 tech and DE should almost never be getting double teamed and those guys need to take advantage of their matchups. 

Edit: I will say though, on a drive where we absolutely need a stop, the idea of rolling out Ossai, Coburn, Sweat, and Collins while playing press man behind them is quite arousing. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

cross posting this tweet

On 9/8/2020 at 4:39 PM, LTtxfan said:

EhaG_WIXYAET-r6?format=png&name=900x900

While on the topic of OL, this stuff from Cosmi is a god example of why it’s so hard to evaluate HS OL. I know some people who are friends with Cosmi and they absolutely rave about him as a person.

He weighed like 260 pounds in HS with a relatively thin build, while playing high and looking fairly stiff. There was a ton of questions about him and that’s proven by his offer list, but he got to campus, immediately worked his ass off and became one of the strongest dudes in the whole team in one year. He also clearly worked his off on more than just standard lifts, because the functional athleticism and flexibility he gained from senior of HS to RS Freshman at Texas was truly astounding. So much of being a successful OL in college is about putting in the extra work, and that plus projecting how a guy will grow into his body makes ranking/evaluating OL on a nationwide scale an extremely difficult task. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

cross posting this tweet

While on the topic of OL, this stuff from Cosmi is a god example of why it’s so hard to evaluate HS OL. I know some people who are friends with Cosmi and they absolutely rave about him as a person.

He weighed like 260 pounds in HS with a relatively thin build, while playing high and looking fairly stiff. There was a ton of questions about him and that’s proven by his offer list, but he got to campus, immediately worked his ass off and became one of the strongest dudes in the whole team in one year. He also clearly worked his off on more than just standard lifts, because the functional athleticism and flexibility he gained from senior of HS to RS Freshman at Texas was truly astounding. So much of being a successful OL in college is about putting in the extra work, and that plus projecting how a guy will grow into his body makes ranking/evaluating OL on a nationwide scale an extremely difficult task. 

Cosmi played injured for almost his entire senior year, and when he was finally closer to being at full strength, he whipped Chaisson's ass in the playoffs 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Cosmi played injured for almost his entire senior year, and when he was finally closer to being at full strength, he whipped Chaisson's ass in the playoffs 

I’m not sure I ever knew he was hurt the whole year. I remember thinking his senior film didn’t look good, so that would explain a lot. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

TFB Open Post is Up;

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2020/09/open-post-weekend-september-11th-13th

*Anwar is right to take note of the fact that Black is ahead of Eagles on the depth chart. I can’t say why that is but I can tell you that based on folks I’ve spoken with, Eagles is the better player and it’s not really close.“

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Tarik Black is going to be so good. Not Duv good, but he can be as good as LJH with higher upside. Harbaugh is such a fucking tard. He had Peoples-Jones and made him into a 6th round pick or some shit. Of course, that's also on the recruit, too. Black is going to be a nice surprise. 

Lol 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol 

well glad i keep that guy on mute

as a reminder here was LJH's last year in Austin:

88 catches for 1176 yards and 9 TDs, plus he rushed and threw for 2 more

higher upside is what? 100 catches for 1200 yards and 10+ TDs?

i know he was injured a ton but for his CAREER (3 years) Black has 38 catches for 492 yards and 2 TDs.

spacer.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3