Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

I was of the understanding that a late offer is tantamount to disrespect, and in no way could a prospect choose a school that hadn’t been “showin’ them love” since the day they could walk.

That only applies to Texas, you say? Ah, my mistake.

Patterson (and later Briles) pound that shit into their heads like you can’t imagine. It’s one of his go-to messages. Texas didn’t want you - we wanted you from the beginning, etc 

Bobby Burton: Monday

If the college football games I watched on Saturday are any indication, we all can expect some sloppy play from the Horns and UTEP in five days time. Not just first game kinks or jitters, but irregularly sloppy. Perhaps it was the level and talent of the teams playing this past weekend, but I feel like it’s more likely a result of the pandemic. The execution of all teams just seemed more disjointed than a usual early season matchup. No one expects the 42.5 point favorite Longhorns to be perfect out of the gate. But I will not be surprised if the win is sloppier than I previously expected.

Add running back Bijan Robinson and center Jake Majors to the list of freshman to have the stripes removed from their helmets. Over the weekend, Robinson and Majors joined safety Jerrin Thompson and linebacker Jaylan Ford in that way. Other true freshmen I think we can expect to play in the first game are Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton and Andrej Karic. I’d add receiver Kelvontay Dixon to the group if he were 100-percent healthy. But I’m most interested to see just how fellow newcomer, Michigan grad transfer receiver, Tarik Black fares. He could be a big piece of the offensive puzzle this season. We will have a freshman report following the game on Saturday.

In the late ‘90s, I was driving the backroads of northern Louisiana. On a single trip I saw Troy Edwards play quarterback and running back in Shreveport - he ended up being a first round pick of the Steelers out of Louisiana Tech. I saw Anthony Thomas, a big bruising runner that signed with Michigan. Booger McFarland was in a temporary building at the school in Winnsboro, La., long before Monday Night Football fame, when his coach took me to meet him and I interviewed him. I also met with Bradie James, who ended up the middle linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys, on that trip. There were others, too, like Talance Sawyer, Eric Edwards, Derrick Broughton and Anthony Lucas. You’re talking about at least a half dozen players who had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

But the most memorable visit of all was to see a kid named Ken Pate. Ken played at Mer Rouge. He was 6-3 or so and weighed about 190. He won multiple state track titles in the state’s lowest classification. And he was a really talented football player. When I say it was in the cotton fields, I mean it as literally smack dab in the middle of cotton fields and there was only one road in and one road out.

I pulled up to his school, the principal met me on the doorstep of the school and said the football coach was driving the bus, dropping the elementary school kids off at various bus stops. This was a SMALL school, as small as I’d ever been to. I’d never heard of a head football coach doubling as a bus driver. I waited on the coach to return. He got there about 15 minutes later. He said follow me, so I did.

We walked through the school in about 15 seconds from front to back. But there was a surprise waiting for me. The front of the building had been hiding an enormous state-of-the-art gym behind it. We walked into the gym and I looked up. And that’s when I saw it. There was a gigantic, painted mural of Lou Brock from his days as a St. Louis Cardinal. Brock, who died at the age of 81 over the weekend, was one of my favorite baseball players growing up. He was a legendary base stealer before Ricky Henderson became the king.

Caught off guard by just how nice the facility was compared to the schoolhouse and this big mural of Brock, I immediately asked the coach what was up. Turns out, Brock donated the gym. All of it. He grew up in Mer Rouge, La., the son of cotton pickers and he wanted to give back to the kids of his community. Ken Pate never did make it in football. Unfortunately, he was a prop 48 guy or else I’m sure he would have. I’ll never forget that day. RIP Lou Brock.

• Hook 'Em 4

I will wait to see what recruits think when LSU sucks balls this year. I hear people making tepid predictions like “well they have recruited well there is a lot of talent still” from people trying to hedge but fucking hell man. They lost everything. And they don’t have their three built in cupcake games to pad their win total either. I’m going ctj here and saying LSU is going to gargle balls this year and plummet like the 1997 Dallas Cowboys. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Newy25 said:

I will wait to see what recruits think when LSU sucks balls this year. I hear people making tepid predictions like “well they have recruited well there is a lot of talent still” from people trying to hedge but fucking hell man. They lost everything. And they don’t have their three built in cupcake games to pad their win total either. I’m going ctj here and saying LSU is going to gargle balls this year and plummet like the 1997 Dallas Cowboys. 

I'm thinking they suck early, but will be good by the time they play A&M late in the season, and win that one 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Nahlin still thinks LJ commits somewhere within the week. Also said he doesn't feel good about the Mukuba recruitment, as he think if he wanted to be at Texas he would have committed by now. Expects his decision to be pushed back though.

Is Clemson our biggest threat for Mukuba?

5 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Nahlin still thinks LJ commits somewhere within the week. Also said he doesn't feel good about the Mukuba recruitment, as he think if he wanted to be at Texas he would have committed by now. Expects his decision to be pushed back though.

With that logic, at what age does Nahlin believe kids should commit? Long gone are the NSD announcements, enter the Bar Mitzvah hat reveal.

38 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Mmm I think we just watched some shitty teams play football 

I don’t think so. SMU had Shane Beuchele returning as a 5th year in the same offensive system and their offense was noticeably off. I think CFB fans need to re-adjust expectations for this year. No spring ball, limited conditioning/training with the team, and covid disruptions are absolutely going to affect the level of play. Every school will struggle, and Texas will too, especially on defense. I like that Ash’s scheme is simplified, but it’s still a huge change from what Orlando was running  and it’s not like TO coached fundamentals well, so Ash Has a huge challenge on his hands. That plus the lack of depth at LB could lead to some serious bumps in the road this year. 

16 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yup, they lost both coordinators, and all of their starters.  I think they will suck donkey balls this year.

We should all hope LSU struggles because of the massive turnover of staff and players and the bungling of locker room politics. Their offseason was among the worst in the country (for teams that are playing).

That said, their schedule works out nicely for them. Their first three are MissSt, Vandy, Mizzou. They'll be favored in all and may gain necessary experience to face the tough middle of the schedule.

If CorchO can somehow keep it together, it may mean that there is a new SEC superpower.

Edited by quigley

11 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I think Mukuba would’ve already been committed to Clemson for a little while now if this were a normal year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Is Mukuba like Princely in that he does not want to be this close to his home/parents?

44 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Why on earth would Andrej Karic be playing?  Has anyone heard anything about him being in the two-deep?

Did Bobby get confused?

Hookfin and Moore are hurt, and Willie Tyler opted out, so we’re already getting pretty thin on the OL. We basically only have 8 OL who can play and aren’t true freshman right now, and that’s including someone like Ghirmai who’s not good. We can manufacture depth with guys who can move around if someone gets hurt in a game that matters, but if we put ina  fully second string OL, Karic and Majors could be in it. Having said that, I agree that Karic likely won’t get reps because He needs time to physically develop and it would be better to give someone like Okafor tackle reps with the second team since he may have to play there at some point this season.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think so. SMU had Shane Beuchele returning as a 5th year in the same offensive system and their offense was noticeably off. I think CFB fans need to re-adjust expectations for this year. No spring ball, limited conditioning/training with the team, and covid disruptions are absolutely going to affect the level of play. Every school will struggle, and Texas will too, especially on defense. I like that Ash’s scheme is simplified, but it’s still a huge change from what Orlando was running  and it’s not like TO coached fundamentals well, so Ash Has a huge challenge on his hands. That plus the lack of depth at LB could lead to some serious bumps in the road this year. 

Alright the other 80% were shitty football teams.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Saw something  about  one of the Arizona schools in it now. It does sound like he wants to go out of state. 

Arizona State. It's always State. Sumlin is recruiting like late-period Mack while Edwards put together a shockingly solid, energetic staff.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Arizona State. It's always State. Sumlin is recruiting like late-period Mack while Edwards put together a shockingly solid, energetic staff.

That ASU staff is mentioned by every single recruit, if you ask them about which staff can get them prepared for the NFL. The recruits 100% believe in them and they are putting together a very nice depth chart, and they can develop. Color me stunned because Herm may not really get CFB but his staff sure as fuck does. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

That ASU staff is mentioned by every single recruit, if you ask them about which staff can get them prepared for the NFL. The recruits 100% believe in them and they are putting together a very nice depth chart, and they can develop. Color me stunned because Herm may not really get CFB but his staff sure as fuck does. 

https://thesundevils.com/sports/football/coaches

Familiar names and considerable NFL experience, playing and coaching.  Easy to see why kids whose dream is to play on Sunday might be attracted to ASU.

Another day - another video featuring music/beats from Tyler Johnson.

texas setting up the NIL with the “we already know how to get your (music/art/film/photos/poems/nickname/whatever) out. here’s some interactions figures from our previous athletes and their portfolios so that you can see how they used those impressions along with the 4ever Texas internship to ...” 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Another day - another video featuring music/beats from Tyler Johnson.

texas setting up the NIL with the “we already know how to get your (music/art/film/photos/poems/nickname/whatever) out. here’s some interactions figures from our previous athletes and their portfolios so that you can see how they used those impressions along with the 4ever Texas internship to ...” 

Would definitely get work some work done listening to a Lofi stream made by Tyler Johnson.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

he was listed as the backup LT on the 2 deep for this week

https://texassports.com/documents/2020/9/7/Texas_2020_Notes_1.pdf

Though, as @Burt Macklin said in some thread, it's more that he's like the 8th best lineman, and Hand will shuffle things around rather than just promote him if (God forbid) Cosmi goes down.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Though, as @Burt Macklin said in some thread, it's more that he's like the 8th best lineman, and Hand will shuffle things around rather than just promote him if (God forbid) Cosmi goes down.

I think this is correct but also think we should blow UTEP out and this would be a good opportunity to get him live reps. Hopefully we’re able to get him quality reps in 3-4 games so he’s better prepared to potentially take over LT/RT next year.