Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Brandon Campbell not a RB1 type?  I've seen it mentioned a few times of him being a #2 type RB in a class, but he already weighs 190 lbs, so it's not out of the question to think he'll be 200+ in another year.  Also ran a 4.07 shuttle.

We have to take any RBS we can. After last year’s mess and now this year thus far, we need to load up 

Edited by Neonmoon

46 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Brandon Campbell not a RB1 type?  I've seen it mentioned a few times of him being a #2 type RB in a class, but he already weighs 190 lbs, so it's not out of the question to think he'll be 200+ in another year.  Also ran a 4.07 shuttle.

The thing about Campbell is, when you watch him run, there is a temptation to cringe and close your eyes when you see the "Katy Independent School District" logo on the field, but unlike Kyle Porter, while it's true that Campbell mostly runs through truck-sized holes in the line, he also has some highlights where he breaks tackles (both of the ankle and normal varieties).

I don't know exactly where I'd rank him, but I will say that he doesn't suck, and is probably better than any of the names I can think of that we're going to end up with in the 2020 class, if we can't somehow get Bijan to reconsider us.

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, and he's better than Foster, but not as good as Fatheree, Brock, and Conner.

aggy about to be Stanford'd for their #1 OL target.

I have it

Tommy

Byrd

Foster, Jackson

Conner, Fatheree

James Brock

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

I have it

Tommy

Byrd

Foster, Jackson

Conner, Fatheree

James Brock

This looks about right.

I'd definately have Conner above Fatheree at #5.  Conner would be higher than #5 most years in Texas though and I love his potential as a nasty Guard.

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This looks about right.

I'd definately have Conner above Fatheree at #5.  Conner would be higher than #5 most years in Texas though and I love his potential as a nasty Guard.

I don’t love Conner or Fatheree. Some guys whose opinion I respect like Conner a lot though. I watched Fatheree in two full games, and he missed blocks, ball watched, played until three seconds before the whistle, and just didn’t look very impressive. If everything goes right, he could be a monster three or four years from now, but there’s the chance he never bulks up enough to get a good anchor, along with him potentially just never being good at football. Besides, we should land potential 3-4 year starters in Tommy and Byrd. 

I could see myself moving James up ahead of both, in my highly sought after messageboard rankings. 

15 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

When do the brocks plan to shut it down? There’s no way we miss on them right?

Sorry don’t know how to spell

I don’t think the timing is clear yet. There’s a rumor that they want to combine to take ten OVs together, which could easily be a joke. They could wait and force Herman to give Luke a scholarship (after he’s been on campus for two years so he doesn’t backcount against the 25 signed counter). Or they could jump in early and help build the class; I’m more hopefully now about the last point after hearing how excited they are re the recent commitments. 

Whatever negligible odds you want to give of them not coming to Texas isn’t worth discussing; we’d be arguing 2.5% vs 1%. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don’t love Conner or Fatheree. Some guys whose opinion I respect like Conner a lot though. I watched Fatheree in two full games, and he missed blocks, ball watched, played until three seconds before the whistle, and just didn’t look very impressive. If everything goes right, he could be a monster three or four years from now, but there’s the chance he never bulks up enough to get a good anchor, along with him potentially just never being good at football. Besides, we should land potential 3-4 year starters in Tommy and Byrd. 

I could see myself moving James up ahead of both, in my highly sought after messageboard rankings. 

What's your take on Conner?

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

What's your take on Conner?

Solid swing guy. From the hudl, I didn’t think he looked as athletic as I was expecting, and I didn’t love his build. Looked guard-ish. I thought neither he nor Fatheree lived up to the billing. But I’ve heard good things about his work in the spring, and others like him, including Herb Hand. Also, it’s not his fault there’s four 5* OL in the state in the same class. 

Also, I have to remind myself when watching the 2021 hudl that these kids were just sophomores, several of whom ply competitive 6A, and just looking like you belong is impressive 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Solid swing guy. From the hudl, I didn’t think he looked as athletic as I was expecting, and I didn’t love his build. Looked guard-ish. I thought neither he nor Fatheree lived up to the billing. But I’ve heard good things about his work in the spring, and others like him, including Herb Hand. Also, it’s not his fault there’s four 5* OL in the state in the same class. 

Also, I have to remind myself when watching the 2021 hudl that these kids were just sophomores, several of whom ply competitive 6A, and just looking like you belong is impressive 

Happily, if we pull the class we want in 2021, a nice guard prospect is plenty good.

44 minutes ago, Fud said:

I have it

Tommy

Byrd

Foster, Jackson

Conner, Fatheree

James Brock

The C Brock would be ahead of Conner and Fatheree for me. I put a premium on centers in much the same way I put a premium on kickers and punters. It’s fine that no one else does, but those are critical positions that can tip seasons in either direction. If I matched money with energy in this arena, I’d probably know better, but it’s fun otherwise and I see it the way I described. Give me a C that can’t be confused and a K that can’t be rattled and I would trade a disruptive DE and a great OG for them.

Give me T Brock, Byrd, Foster, Other Brock, Conner and random upside guy and I will die happy in recruiting for that cycle. 

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

One of my buddies that isn’t one of your buddies, but is right on this shit as much as anyone thinks Conner is unathletic and doesn’t like the take unless 5 better ones happen with him. I disagree, but dude is paid for his opinion, so it is worth thinking about into the future. He also predicted the Lindberg collapse and was fine with it. FWIW, I like the Conner take and will continue with that as my view into the future. So, fyi that might not repeat on the threads for the dildos that follow as much as me. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of my buddies that isn’t one of your buddies, but is right on this shit as much as anyone thinks Conner is unathletic and doesn’t like the take unless 5 better ones happen with him. I disagree, but dude is paid for his opinion, so it is worth thinking about into the future. He also predicted the Lindberg collapse and was fine with it. FWIW, I like the Conner take and will continue with that as my view into the future. So, fyi that might not repeat on the threads for the dildos that follow as much as me. 

I view Conner as the 2021 Lindberg (with no known injury issues) and am especially fine with it since we might not get Lindberg.

I like that he's enrolling early, too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I view Conner as the 2021 Lindberg (with no known injury issues) and am especially fine with it since we might not get Lindberg.

He also could be instrumental in delivering Bryce Foster which is a huge plus. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I like Lindberg’s junior hudl a lot, but his spring has really soured him for me. I’m fine if he picks Texas, and will sleep like a baby if he doesn’t 

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Ah yes, the negative recruiting re: scheme continues apace:

(for the olds, if you really want to dig into the meme, you can look here: https://www.popbuzz.com/internet/viral/sco-pa-tu-manaa-meaning-pronounce/ )

This is a harmless 16 year old child just having fun and not a total fucking prima donna that runs his mouth and talks shit constantly that will go to the highest bidder because his dad is super nice. 

This is a harmless 16 year old child just having fun and not a total fucking prima donna that runs his mouth and talks shit constantly that will go to the highest bidder because his dad is super nice. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't speak for the harmless 16 year old child in question. I can only speak for myself. When I was 16, I was unaware of everything in the world. If the sport I was good at, powerlifting, been a sport that were recruited I would've taken every opportunity to advance myself. I went to state twice in the sport. I can say that unequivocally I would've rejected, with malice, any offer from goddamn oklahoma. Obviously this is all not applicable, but I can explicitly recall my frame of mind as a teenager.

Kids will be kids and sometimes they make good choices they prosper from, or that we like, and sometimes they won't on either account. I'm just saying let the kid be a goddamn kid and let him make whatever choice he will.

I don't expect anyone else to hold the same malice I do, because no one has my experiences.

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

9 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I can't speak for the harmless 16 year old child in question. I can only speak for myself. When I was 16, I was unaware of everything in the world. If the sport I was good at, powerlifting, been a sport that were recruited I would've taken every opportunity to advance myself. I went to state twice in the sport. I can say that unequivocally I would've rejected, with malice, any offer from goddamn oklahoma. Obviously this is all not applicable, but I can explicitly recall my frame of mind as a teenager.

Kids will be kids and sometimes they make good choices they prosper from, or that we like, and sometimes they won't on either account. I'm just saying let the kid be a goddamn kid and let him make whatever choice he will.

I don't expect anyone else to hold the same malice I do, because no one has my experiences.

I think Surly is broken this morning.

10 hours ago, Fud said:

I like Lindberg’s junior hudl a lot, but his spring has really soured him for me

Things I will look at come December: His Sr Season.

Things I will NOT look at come December: His '19 Spring.

EDIT: Correction: I'll consider his Spring, but if he puts together a great Sr. campaign, coupled with his Jr.  year, Spring will mean a whole lot less.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1